2018-2019 University of Colorado

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Better luck next year hopefully. Good luck to those still in the running.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That's the issue they never gave me the opportunity to interview
This is my problem too. I also felt qualified to receive an interview here and it was very frustrating seeing OOS students with lower stats interview here. I know its not all about the stats but still...not even an interview from my home state school?
I am IS Colorado and didn't get an interview too. I felt like I was somewhat competitive stats wise etc. Graduating with my Ph.D. this May too working in cardiovascular regenerative medicine. Im honestly not sure what school's these days are looking for! It's easy to be discouraged but I know that we will all find the school we are meant to be at :)
Unfortunately you can never really know why a single school rejected you unless they provide app feedback at the end of the cycle (not sure if CU does or not). Last year I had a friend get accepted into Harvard but rejected by her low-ranked state school. Personally I've been fortunate enough to be accepted to a few T20's against oos bias, but never even got an interview to some low ranked privates. This stuff doesn't make sense to me but there's nothing we can do but move on, and if leaving the cycle empty handed, address the problem there looking at your app as a whole. Worrying about a single school just isn't going to bring any answers unfortunately.

P.s. +1 on the pre-interview R

Reactions: 5 users
That's the issue they never gave me the opportunity to interview

This is my problem too. I also felt qualified to receive an interview here and it was very frustrating seeing OOS students with lower stats interview here. I know its not all about the stats but still...not even an interview from my home state school?

I am IS Colorado and didn't get an interview too. I felt like I was somewhat competitive stats wise etc. Graduating with my Ph.D. this May too working in cardiovascular regenerative medicine. Im honestly not sure what school's these days are looking for! It's easy to be discouraged but I know that we will all find the school we are meant to be at :)

Pre-II Rejection email today as well. IS, Colorado Native. Completed secondary early August.
Has me wondering if I bombed the CASPer haha.
Accepted to OOS allopathic med school, but CU was top choice

Unfortunately you can never really know why a single school rejected you unless they provide app feedback at the end of the cycle (not sure if CU does or not). Last year I had a friend get accepted into Harvard but rejected by her low-ranked state school. Personally I've been fortunate enough to be accepted to a few T20's against oos bias, but never even got an interview to some low ranked privates. This stuff doesn't make sense to me but there's nothing we can do but move on, and if leaving the cycle empty handed, address the problem there looking at your app as a whole. Worrying about a single school just isn't going to bring any answers unfortunately.

P.s. +1 on the pre-interview R

I feel all of your pain. I am also IS, 99th percentile MCAT, 3.98 sgpa, 3.46 cgpa (a few bad grades freshman year followed by 4 years @4.0), hundreds of hours of research, multiple honors/awards, clinical and non-clinical volunteering, great LOR’s, great feedback on my PS/essays from multiple reviewers (including physicians), etc. I was very disappointed to not receive an interview here and am truly at a loss as to the reason why I wasn’t given the opportunity to do so.

Side note - The fact that CU sent me the rejection on my birthday after 7 months of silence certainly didn’t help ease the pain. This one is going to take a bit to shake off.

Anyway, congrats to those of you accepted and good luck to those still in the running!

Reactions: 1 user
The fact that CU sent me the rejection on my birthday after 7 months of silence certainly didn’t help ease the pain. This one is going to take a bit to shake off.

That is heartbreaking! I just want to give you a hug through the Internet. I'm sure you are going great places though at whatever school you end up at!

That is heartbreaking! I just want to give you a hug through the Internet. I'm sure you are going great places though at whatever school you end up at!

Thanks, I appreciate it! It certainly made it difficult to enjoy the rest of the day but c'est la vie I guess.

I appreciate the kind words but it looks like I won’t be at any school this year unless I get a last minute invite from SLU. I’ve only had 1 interview (MU) and they rejected me already so it’s looking like I will be reapplying next year.

I feel all of your pain. I am also IS, 99th percentile MCAT, 3.98 sgpa, 3.46 cgpa (a few bad grades freshman year followed by 4 years @4.0), hundreds of hours of research, multiple honors/awards, clinical and non-clinical volunteering, great LOR’s, great feedback on my PS/essays from multiple reviewers (including physicians), etc. I was very disappointed to not receive an interview here and am truly at a loss as to the reason why I wasn’t given the opportunity to do so.

Side note - The fact that CU sent me the rejection on my birthday after 7 months of silence certainly didn’t help ease the pain. This one is going to take a bit to shake off.

Anyway, congrats to those of you accepted and good luck to those still in the running!
The system seems broken if this applicant has to reapply. I'm not being an entitled millennial, stats and experience like that should not go unrewarded.

The system seems broken if this applicant has to reapply. I'm not being an entitled millennial, stats and experience like that should not go unrewarded.
Granted, we don't know this person's school list. The randomness of this process does suck, but we also all have to play the game wisely--even the "strongest" of candidates. If he/she didn't apply to enough schools, for example, the system isn't necessarily "broken"

Reactions: 4 users
Granted, we don't know this person's school list. The randomness of this process does suck, but we also all have to play the game wisely--even the "strongest" of candidates. If he/she didn't apply to enough schools, for example, the system isn't necessarily "broken"

Agreed. I think the way you portray yourself in your essays and your school lists are as important, if not more, than your stats and experiences. I think a huge mistake applicants commit is not knowing how to explain/talk about activities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. I think the way you portray yourself in your essays and your school lists are as important, if not more, than your stats and experiences. I think a huge mistake applicants commit is not knowing how to explain/talk about activities.
Yep. And the crazy thing is, even if an applicant does all of that right, it still doesn't even guarantee success, which is what I feel like frustrates people the most. But that's what makes this such a competitive/unpredictable process. Kudos to everybody that survives this!

Reactions: 3 users
Yep. And the crazy thing is, even if an applicant does all of that right, it still doesn't even guarantee success, which is what I feel like frustrates people the most. But that's what makes this such a competitive/unpredictable process. Kudos to everybody that survives this!
At the end of the day, as meritocratic as medicine is nowadays, there is always a luck factor unfortunately

Has anyone from the early January interviews heard back? We've hit 1 month now, I'm getting nervous...

When do waitlist rankings come out?

Are we just waiting for our pre-II R or is there some hope that we may miraculously get invited for the last interview date??

Most of us are probably just waiting for that pre-II R and maybe a few will be lucky enough to get an interview. I am not sure what the last day is but I think it is Feb. 22nd.

Has anybody who interviewed in January heard back yet? On 1/25 they said "4-6 weeks, hopefully earlier"

Withdrawing my acceptance here today due to other offers. Here’s hoping it goes to one of you still anxiously waiting!

Reactions: 3 users
Just got the call from Dr. Zehnder this morning, accepted!! Interviewed 1/11, I’m so excited !!!

Reactions: 6 users
It's officially an acceptance call day. Nerve wracking stuff. If anyone from 1/25 gets a call, post please!

Just got the call from Dr. Zehnder this morning, accepted!! Interviewed 1/11, I’m so excited !!!
+1 got the call as well! Loved EVERYTHING about the school...except the COA. This will be a hard decision. :(

Post-II rejection email minutes ago. Interviewed 1/11. Bummer as this was my top choice and thought I did well. Congrats to all accepted and good luck to everyone still waiting on decisions.❤️

Anyone know when the white coat ceremony is?

If it's the same as last year, orientation week will start Friday, August 2nd and runs through the morning of August 9th (which is the white coat ceremony). All of orientation is required, but the weekend before the retreat to Estes Park (Aug 5-6) should be yours. Double-check with admissions on the dates, but this is probably the schedule.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted today! Missed the call but had a feeling when I saw that Denver, CO area code. LM ~70, WARS ~85, OOS, non-trad, complete Oct, interview 1/11. Best of luck to everyone waiting to hear some good news!

Reactions: 5 users
Got the acceptance call today! I am still grinning and in disbelief. :biglove:

2uqbxd.jpg

Rejected!

Reactions: 7 users
I am working on my essays for my scholarship applications. Does anyone know if it's OK to re-use content from my application? Or are these also reviewed by the same admissions committee, such that repeating my essay content would be a mistake?

how much $ can people get from the scholarships? And is this a 1 time thing or do they pay out annually?

Hey all, waitlisted a week ago. Interviewed 1/11. Does anyone know how the waitlist works, how many people are pulled from it, etc? Thanks!

Hey all, waitlisted a week ago. Interviewed 1/11. Does anyone know how the waitlist works, how many people are pulled from it, etc? Thanks!
I think they email us in April and group us into priority rankings by tiers (tier 1, tier 2, tier 3; not individual rankings [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7,etc.]). I talked to a doc I used to scribe for who used to be on the adcom, he said the top tier of the WL was a virtual guarantee when he worked there. He doesn't know if this is still the case.

Rejected pre II. ORM non trade LizzyM ~67. Complete Sept. Accepted else where and trying to be a good SDN citizen by updating my R's.
I sincerely hope the best for everyone!!

The day updated, but I'm not sure if any of the numbers changed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190307-114625_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190307-114625_Chrome.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 168