2018-2019 University of Colorado

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to everyone accepted today!! Has anyone from the 2/8 interview heard back yet? Or do you suspect those decisions will come in the next week or two?

Members don't see this ad.

So, since we're in the same boat I'll tell you what I know about the alternate list and you tell me anything you might know!

They usually put you into three tiers and in past years just about everyone from the first tier eventually gets a call. I also know someone last year who was placed on the middle tier and got a call about two weeks before the year started. So, while it's all still more stressful than a straightforward acceptance (obviously), the dream remains alive!
I heard the tier placement email goes out in April. Do you know if this is true?

Congrats to everyone accepted today!! Has anyone from the 2/8 interview heard back yet? Or do you suspect those decisions will come in the next week or two?

I interviewed on 2/8 and have yet to hear anything. I bet we'll hear early next week based on the timing of previous interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Question for anyone who has interviewed.... I interviewed about 3 weeks or so ago and am expecting to wait at least 6 weeks before hearing anything back. But today I got an email that basically said “Congratulations, you now have a UC Denver email account”. I double checked and I have had no other emails, missed calls, voicemails, literally nothing. Does everyone who interviews get this email??? Why did they have to say congratulations it just about gave me a heart attack haha

I interviewed on 1/25 and got the acceptance call on 3/12. I also got this same “congratulations” email account message today. Not sure what it means for you, but hopefully it is leading to good news!

Question for anyone who has interviewed.... I interviewed about 3 weeks or so ago and am expecting to wait at least 6 weeks before hearing anything back. But today I got an email that basically said “Congratulations, you now have a UC Denver email account”. I double checked and I have had no other emails, missed calls, voicemails, literally nothing. Does everyone who interviews get this email??? Why did they have to say congratulations it just about gave me a heart attack haha

Hey! So when I was accepted in October a similar thing happened to me. I called their office and they accidentally sent the acceptance to me before the Dean had time to call me! I’m hoping for good news for you soon, and maybe call the admissions office next week to make sure!

Hi! So my boyfriend was waitlisted on 03/12 via email, but he received that same "Congratulations, you now have a UC Denver email account" message tonight. No acceptance email, or missed calls or voicemails. We are super confused and don't know what to think of it. This is about to be the longest weekend ever.........

Has anyone from 2/8 interviews received this email? I am wondering if that means decisions have been made for everyone who interviewed in February.
I have not received anything.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone from 2/8 interviews received this email? I am wondering if that means decisions have been made for everyone who interviewed in February.

I interviewed 2/22 and haven’t heard anything.

I heard the tier placement email goes out in April. Do you know if this is true?
That's what I had heard too, I don't know exactly when.

Also, to anyone holding a superfluous acceptance to Colorado (or any school really) with no plan to attend, PLEASE withdraw your acceptance sooner rather than later. You will be contributing greatly to the mental health of one of us poor souls mired in waitlist purgatory.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Is anyone else having issues joining the FB group? I requested to join a while ago and haven’t been accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else concerned that OOS students are graduating from this school with 300-400k in debt? That's Caribbean MD levels of debt lol. The significantly limited amount of money they give away to OOS students is...scary.

I know CU is an amazing school, but I implore everyone to keep in mind that, if you're an OOS student, you might not see much by way of aid. Some current students describe the system as the OOSers funding the ISers. Just be careful everyone; there's something wrong about the current set-up in my opinion. It feels ever so slightly exploitative.

I understand your concern; however, I think you could say the same about the cost difference between OOS and IS medical school tuition amongst most public institutions. I do realize the difference at CU may be slightly greater, but it is just that.

I would agree to an extent. Maybe my sample size is just extremely limited but I thought most other IS schools saddle their OOS kids with 200-300k of debt. I think that's reasonable; 400k is pushing it though imo. I'd just be scared to have to confront that amount of debt every day, especially when Caribbean MD students graduate with less (just an example, the Caribbean is awful, don't go lol). I also don't like the idea of an institution of ethics and higher learning taking advantage of students just because they can. Maybe that's the problem though...maybe I just see it as one thing when it's really just something else entirely.

I also understand your concern, but a lot of medical schools have absurd OOS tuition fees, $60k+, and I can imagine some people have to take out $80K+ a year at those schools as well. Where did you get the information that CU OOS students have more debt than students at other OOS schools?

And yes, having to confront that amount of debt every day is daunting and it is one of the reasons I am most likely not attending the OOS schools or private schools that I have been admitted to. I don't find it fair that I got into a program I really like but don't want to attend because I would have to take out $70k a year for it, but unfortunately that is how the medical school process works. In the end, it is a personal decision and you will have to decide if going to CU is worth the cost of going to a cheaper school. Definitely a good and wise reflection to have before you commit anywhere.

Anyone else concerned that OOS students are graduating from this school with 300-400k in debt? That's Caribbean MD levels of debt lol. The significantly limited amount of money they give away to OOS students is...scary.

I know CU is an amazing school, but I implore everyone to keep in mind that, if you're an OOS student, you might not see much by way of aid. Some current students describe the system as the OOSers funding the ISers. Just be careful everyone; there's something wrong about the current set-up in my opinion. It feels ever so slightly exploitative.

Current MS1 here. Feel free to PM me if you’d like to talk more about this. It might be a better conversation for you that way.

This is not a school problem but a Colorado problem. One of the state’s issues is that there is very little support of education (lower or higher) in our state. The tuition is what it is, not to subsidize in-staters, but because the school gets horrible funding from the state. Even in state tuition is higher compared to other state schools and still not an insignificant amount.

Yes, carefully weigh your options when considering the amount of debt you will incur. While most physicians are paid well enough not to worry, it can cause you problems if anything out of the ordinary comes up down the line. However, the vast majority of physicians are able to manage it fine.

Everything depends on how you want to weigh the risk and if you have other options on the table.

Reactions: 2 users
To any accepted students: have you gotten a completed mark for the background check on the pre-matriculation checklist on the portal?

I did the background check months ago and CU still hasn’t marked it as received. Wondering if there is an issue or if they’re just being slow in updating the portal.

Reactions: 2 users
To any accepted students: have you gotten a completed mark for the background check on the pre-matriculation checklist on the portal?

I did the background check months ago and CU still hasn’t marked it as received. Wondering if there is an issue or if they’re just being slow in updating the portal.

Same. My background check was completed early January and it still hasn't been marked as received in my portal, which is surprising considering they were very quick with receiving my transcripts. Maybe the background company is slow with releasing the results.

Same. My background check was completed early January and it still hasn't been marked as received in my portal, which is surprising considering they were very quick with receiving my transcripts. Maybe the background company is slow with releasing the results.
+1

I emailed them asking and here was the response: "The admissions team has not audited the Criminal Background checks as of yet. Once audited in certiphi, the matriculation portal will be updated".

Got the call!!! Interviewed 2/8. So grateful! Hopefully I'll see some of you at second look!

Reactions: 5 users
OH MY GOD I JUST GOT THE CALL!! First acceptance, after six waitlists last cycle lhasdiluhbvhkxcagksjnvhx

Reactions: 9 users
Are we supposed to get it today?

During the call Dr. Z told me the admissions office was closed until Monday and so I wouldn’t get my official email until early this week. She gave more detail but I was kind of tuned out in shock for the rest.

Reactions: 3 users
I was also a 2/8 interview and got the call this Saturday! Hope to see some of you at second look! (I also have not received the official email that Dr. Z talked about during the call)

If we interviewed MSTP in February and haven't heard back yet is that most likely a rejection, or are there other people from Feb who haven't heard back yet?

Post interview R ): pretty sad but i knew it wasn’t a good interview.

Hi, I was wondering if other people accepted from 2/8 interviews at CUSOM see it listed as an option in the 'choose your school option on AMCAS'? Thanks!

Not yet

Hi, I was wondering if other people accepted from 2/8 interviews at CUSOM see it listed as an option in the 'choose your school option on AMCAS'? Thanks!

I'm from the 1/25 interviews and I still don't see it as an option in the "choose your school" option on AMCAS

Is there a difference between the waitlist and the alternate list?

Is there a difference between the waitlist and the alternate list?

Not sure - I also just got the e-mail saying I'm on the alternate list. Interviewed 2/22. Anyone have idea of the movement with this list? I remember someone saying it's a tiered system?

For people attending second look day, did you get a confirmation email after you registered? I filled out the form online but haven't gotten any emails since...