2018-2019 University of Connecticut

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I sent admissions an email to confirm they confirmed both my deposit and technical standards

Yeah but under the "View Admissions Status" portion of the it still says "Confirm Acceptance," no?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations! Do you mind sharing your stats? IS or OOS?

Members don't see this ad :)
II about an hour ago! Complete 7/26, LM ~70, New England resident:)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Unfortunately, I just got an email saying I was placed on the alternates list (interviewed 12/10). I am really disappointed, and quite frankly surprised. I am IS and thought my interviews went great, and my stats are above their average matriculants. Additionally, they say they place emphasis on clinical experience/volunteering, and my physician interviewer told me how impressed the Adcom would be with how many clinical/volunteering hours I had. Wondering if anyone has had a similar experience, or has any insight into the alternates list. Thanks guys.

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately, I just got an email saying I was placed on the alternates list (interviewed 12/10). I am really disappointed, and quite frankly surprised. I am IS and thought my interviews went great, and my stats are above their average matriculants. Additionally, they say they place emphasis on clinical experience/volunteering, and my physician interviewer told me how impressed the Adcom would be with how many clinical/volunteering hours I had. Wondering if anyone has had a similar experience, or has any insight into the alternates list. Thanks guys.

In the same boat. Waitlisted today and absolutely gutted this was my choice. I also have an almost full ride at another school which makes me even more confused about this. The only thing I can think of is due to this years new system they are putting more people on the waitlist and will pull a bunch after April decisions.

In the same boat. Waitlisted today and absolutely gutted this was my choice. I also have an almost full ride at another school which makes me even more confused about this. The only thing I can think of is due to this years new system they are putting more people on the waitlist and will pull a bunch after April decisions.

It is my top choice too, by far; I've never wanted anything so badly in my life. Congrats on a scholarship to another school though, that is awesome! I have no acceptances thus far. Right now, this is my only viable option. I still haven't heard anything from the other schools I'm interested in (maybe I'll get some more II's, fingers crossed). I have two upcoming interviews, but both at schools that it would not really be feasible for me to attend. I am really hoping UCONN pulls through for me. While I am disheartened by this all, I am glad to see that there is some activity on this thread, so thank you for replying-it seems to be so inactive. I have been reading about the existence of this "new system" on another thread, but I have no idea what it is referencing. Do you have any details on what it is?

I have been reading about the existence of this "new system" on another thread, but I have no idea what it is referencing. Do you have any details on what it is?

They’re referencing the multiple acceptances report. In previous years, admissions staff could see if a candidate was accepted at other universities. This is the first year that report won’t be accessible and has led many committee members feeling less informed on the chances of an accepted student going on to matriculate at their school.

They’re referencing the multiple acceptances report. In previous years, admissions staff could see if a candidate was accepted at other universities. This is the first year that report won’t be accessible and has led many committee members feeling less informed on the chances of an accepted student going on to matriculate at their school.

Thank you! I knew about the multiple acceptances report, but what I'm not quite understanding is why I've been reading that this will have such a huge impact on the waitlist. Is it because in the past, they've been more confident that accepted students will matriculate, and thus they haven't needed to delve as far in to the waitlist, but this year, they're anticipating less matriculation of their accepted students and thus more movement on the waitlist?

Thank you! I knew about the multiple acceptances report, but what I'm not quite understanding is why I've been reading that this will have such a huge impact on the waitlist. Is it because in the past, they've been more confident that accepted students will matriculate, and thus they haven't needed to delve as far in to the waitlist, but this year, they're anticipating less matriculation of their accepted students and thus more movement on the waitlist?
Not sure yet. I have heard different answers on how they are approaching this from different schools during interviews. One school in particular (not UConn) very clearly stated they will be outright accepting far fewer seats this year and placing the majority of the interviewed candidates on their WL/alternate list.

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure yet. I have heard different answers on how they are approaching this from different schools during interviews. One school in particular (not UConn) very clearly stated they will be outright accepting far fewer seats this year and placing the majority of the interviewed candidates on their WL/alternate list.

Oh that is very interesting. I hope UCONN adopted a similar strategy.. Do you mind sharing what school it was that said that?

I don't really know how I feel about the the multiple acceptances report. EDIT: Don't really know if it's just gonna add a ton of stress to the process and leave a lot of students waiting longer than usual.

Reactions: 2 users
So it has been four months since I have turned in my secondary and I have heard absolutely nothing from them. Is this normal? Are other people experiencing this too? What do I do?

So it has been four months since I have turned in my secondary and I have heard absolutely nothing from them. Is this normal? Are other people experiencing this too? What do I do?
Complete July 14th and nothin. New England resident, 3 publications, good ECs. Sad city.

The silence is pretty typical. It’s a small office, and the staff has non-admissions duties as well. Last cycle, I was complete mid-August and didn’t hear anything at all until this week last year (II on Monday for an interview on Friday). The committee took a break for the holiday and just started back up last week, but there’re interviews planned until the end of March.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yeah. Sometimes I wish med admissions was more like the residency match system: You find out immediately and don't have to wait to hear back from each program separately.

First time poster, long-time lurker here. I've been complete since mid-July and it's been complete silence. In-state, UConn graduate with tons of clinical hours. I was so hoping for an interview here and, as each day ticks by, it appears more and more unlikely. So disheartening.....

Are there any UConn students here who can talk about the first year experience? I live in New Haven and it's about a 45min - 1hr drive. I'm wondering how often it's mandatory to be on campus each week, during the first year. Hoping I don't have to move, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ do what'cha gotta do...

thanks in advance for any answers!!

I'm wondering how often it's mandatory to be on campus each week, during the first year.

As a first year, you'll have 2-6 hours of mandatory class/lab/clinical every day. There is a very small chance that you'll have Thursday off, but most people do not. I live about 20 minutes away (if there's no traffic in Hartford. Ha!), and so do a few of my classmates, but I haven't heard of anyone further than that. I would not recommend living that far away.

MD/PhD Alternates list on 1/24. Interviewed 12/3.

II today! That instate love finally showing up.

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone heard anything about scholarships or financial aid? At the interview it sounded like April is when they send the bulk of financial aid out, but was curious if they are awarding scholarships yet.