2018-2019 University of Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I've seen wait until the next meeting and I've seen if you don't get anything then call today... Is there a consensus on what to do? I interviewed 11/29

I just called and was told that decisions are being put in through the end of the week. If we don’t hear anything by Friday, it’s an assumed deferral to March.

I also asked about the difference between hearing “deferred” versus not receiving any sort of communication. Leila said that everyone should be receiving deferral emails and the lack of communication is the result of an error in their databases that their IT department has been trying to fix. Given that this was coming directly from Leila, for those stuck on “forwarded” I would trust that this is the best explanation of what is going on.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 users
Dang. Have you started gathering info on immunizations? I haven't gotten an email about what I need to fulfill for this either. My portal also says I need proof of graduation-have you heard anything about what to do for this?
Haven't heard anything about anything and still in school so no proof of graduation yet and haven't had time to gather immunizations. I'm waiting until I get info from them.

Reactions: 1 user
I just called and was told that decisions are being put in through the end of the week. If we don’t hear anything by Friday, it’s an assumed deferral to March.

I also asked about the difference between hearing “deferred” versus not receiving any sort of communication. Leila said that everyone should be receiving deferral emails and the lack of communication is the result of an error in their databases that their IT department has been trying to fix. Given that this was coming directly from Leila, for those stuck on “forwarded” I would trust that this is the best explanation of what is going on.

Does this mean if we interviewed months ago, we’ve been getting deferred each month? And does this mean for the people who posted yesterday saying that their application is being sent to the March meeting after calling might have a chance to hear back at the end of this week? So much conflicting info...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does this mean if we interviewed months ago, we’ve been getting deferred each month? And does this mean for the people who posted yesterday saying that their application is being sent to the March meeting after calling might have a chance to hear back at the end of this week? So much conflicting info...

That was what she insinuated to me over the phone, yes. I unfortunately was not able to explicitly verify that my file had been reviewed at a committee meeting. With all the different explanations that are coming out, it's anybody's guess what is going on.

I’m just trying to take comfort in the fact that by March 15th, they have to fill their class of 300 according to AAMC rules. It doesn’t seem like they’ve gotten that far yet so hopefully we’ll all hear something before that day.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was what she insinuated to me over the phone, yes. I unfortunately was not able to explicitly verify that my file had been reviewed at a committee meaning. With all the different explanations that are coming out, it's anybody's guess what is going on.

I’m just trying to take comfort in the fact that by March 15th, they have to fill their class of 300 according to AAMC rules. It doesn’t seem like they’ve gotten that far yet so hopefully we’ll all hear something before that day.
Yeah, if it makes y'all feel any better the accepted FB group only has 59 people.

Reactions: 9 users
That was what she insinuated to me over the phone, yes. I unfortunately was not able to explicitly verify that my file had been reviewed at a committee meeting. With all the different explanations that are coming out, it's anybody's guess what is going on.

Could you please explain the March 15th rule? Also, if you know what the traffic rules actually mean - it's that there's less transparency by med schools into where/if folks have been accepted?

Per AAMC rules, by March 15 schools have to offer at least as many acceptances as there are spots in their first year class. So for UIC, they have to give out 180 (Chicago) + 60 (Rockford) + 60 (Peoria) =300 acceptances by March 15. They don't have to finalize the class by this point, only send out the acceptances.

And yes, the lack of transparency makes it harder for UIC to know who they should send acceptances to because they don't know where else people got in. For example, if they were reviewing an app and could see the person already got in at Northwestern, UChicago, Harvard, etc., odds are good that person would end up choosing one of those other schools and it probably wouldn't even be worth it to offer them a spot. Likewise, if a person holds no other acceptances, UIC could be pretty sure that person would take the spot if offered and might wait until the end of the cycle when they need to fill the class to actually send out the acceptance to that person. Remember, schools are trying to fill the class with who they feel are the best possible applicants. Since they can no longer see other acceptances, this "will they/won't they attend" game has become much more ambiguous for adcoms.

This doesn't necessarily help those of us who are stuck here in the middle trying to chase our dream of med school, but that's the game and it's the life we chose.

That's really helpful on both fronts, thank you. So prior to this year, they could see exactly where a person's been accepted or if they haven't been accepted at all -- and now they have zero insight into that? Leila had explained the traffic stuff but I wanted to be sure I got it.

Last edited:
Can anyone comment on opportunities in Rockford vs Chicago? I was placed in Rockford this week which was my second preference and I don’t really have all the scoop on what makes Rockford the same as or different than Chicago.

Can anyone comment on opportunities in Rockford vs Chicago? I was placed in Rockford this week which was my second preference and I don’t really have all the scoop on what makes Rockford the same as or different than Chicago.
Since Rockford, like Peoria has a class size of around 60, I am sure the small class size will definitely be a plus since you can get more individualized mentorship. I heard Rockford is good for family medicine and rural medicine. I also heard from past threads that you can get clinical experience you can't get on the other two campuses because Rockford hospitals apparently do not have residents so medical students learn from attending physicians who let you do IVs and central lines.

ACCEPTED! OOS, interviewed 10/22.

Reactions: 3 users
Since Rockford, like Peoria has a class size of around 60, I am sure the small class size will definitely be a plus since you can get more individualized mentorship. I heard Rockford is good for family medicine and rural medicine. I also heard from past threads that you can get clinical experience you can't get on the other two campuses because Rockford hospitals apparently do not have residents so medical students learn from attending physicians who let you do IVs and central lines.

Thanks for the comment. Aside from rural health and family medicine and clinical opportunities, are there similar research opportunities and specialty rotations opportunities here as in Chicago? I want to know if I can build an equally competitive application from Rockford as I can in Chicago. I’m not that interested in primary care (except addiction medicine) or rural health unfortunately

Thanks for the comment. Aside from rural health and family medicine and clinical opportunities, are there similar research opportunities and specialty rotations opportunities here as in Chicago? I want to know if I can build an equally competitive application from Rockford as I can in Chicago. I’m not that interested in primary care (except addiction medicine) or rural health unfortunately
I got placed into Peoria and I was also wondering the same thing. I talked to an M1 in Peoria who said that initially, resources were uneven between the three campuses with Chicago having more but recently students at Peoria have gained a lot more resources than before due to student feedback. I'd figure Rockford would be in the same footing. I'd presume there would be less research opportunities in Rockford or Peoria compared to Chicago for obvious reasons but because we're medical students, I'd bet if we were proactive in securing research positions, there will be opportunities available albeit maybe not in a sub-field you desire. Good luck to the both of us, I'm sure Rockford and Peoria present a lot of good opportunities we do not know of yet.

I got placed into Peoria and I was also wondering the same thing. I talked to an M1 in Peoria who said that initially, resources were uneven between the three campuses with Chicago having more but recently students at Peoria have gained a lot more resources than before due to student feedback. I'd figure Rockford would be in the same footing. I'd presume there would be less research opportunities in Rockford or Peoria compared to Chicago for obvious reasons but because we're medical students, I'd bet if we were proactive in securing research positions, there will be opportunities available albeit maybe not in a sub-field you desire. Good luck to the both of us, I'm sure Rockford and Peoria present a lot of good opportunities we do not know of yet.

Looking at the AOA list it definitely looks like it's possible to be in the top of the UICOM class from Rockford or Peoria, although this year's AOA results are a bit discouraging for Rockford...

Members don't see this ad :)
So it seems like the Chicago campus is filled out, because people are getting placed into their second choices. I haven't heard back about admission, but I have heard that the experiences in Chicago vs. Peoria vs. Rockford are very different.

Just got off the phone with the admissions office - I interviewed very early in the cycle and my portal still shows that my application has been forwarded to the admissions committee. The lady I spoke with said that not all deferred applicants received the update saying that they were deferred (because of the glitch), which means that if you're in a situation like me, you are most likely deferred (even though your portal is not showing that update) and they will continue reviewing those applications at every meeting.

She also mentioned that decisions are being inputed manually through this week, and if we don't heard back by tomorrow EOD, then the next time to hear back will be after the March meeting.

My thoughts on this: this may already be known information, so my apologies if I wasted anyone's time with this long post. I wonder when the last admissions meeting is, because if decisions are being made once a month (and that too a very small number of applicants receiving acceptances), then I cannot imagine how they are going to send out ~500 offers. Perhaps this year they are not planning on sending that many, because on my interview day they stated that they overfilled the class last year, so maybe this is their way of being more cautious this cycle.

Anyway, good luck to everyone still patiently waiting. It is definitely difficult, but good to know that I am not alone :)

So it seems like the Chicago campus is filled out, because people are getting placed into their second choices. I haven't heard back about admission, but I have heard that the experiences in Chicago vs. Peoria vs. Rockford are very different.
When I interviewed, the medical students said that what we write in our secondaries can have an influence on campus placement.

Campus placement in Rockford. I'm from Rockford so makes sense. Chicago was my first preference. If anyone has any questions on the area, things to do, or nightlife (lol), I am willing to discuss.

Just logged into my portal now and was offered an acceptance. I checked earlier this Tuesday and still had the "forwarded to admissions committee" status. I interviewed on 10/1. Best of luck to everybody else!

Reactions: 5 users
CHECK PORTALS!! Just checked and I had the offer, no email yet. Interviewed 10/19!

Reactions: 6 users
Campus placement in Rockford. I'm from Rockford so makes sense. Chicago was my first preference. If anyone has any questions on the area, things to do, or nightlife (lol), I am willing to discuss.
Hey nice! I got Rockford too! What do you like to do there?

Woman from the office just told me that they were done inputting decisions from this meeting and that the next meeting is March 7th. So completely conflicting info... anyone know if this is true

I called. She believes they're done and that the next mtg is March 7th

Placed in Rockford (2nf choice). My application literally screamed urban medicine because that's what I am interested in so this is disappointing but grateful to have an acceptance. IS-live in Chicago so I guess they are running out of spots in Chicago? Dunno.

Can anyone provide more insight on Rockford's strengths?

Anyone successfully appealed campuses before? My S.O. is in Chicago and I would very strongly prefer living with them to cut down costs.etc.

Placed in Rockford (2nf choice). My application literally screamed urban medicine because that's what I am interested in so this is disappointing but grateful to have an acceptance. IS-live in Chicago so I guess they are running out of spots in Chicago? Dunno.

Can anyone provide more insight on Rockford's strengths?

Anyone successfully appealed campuses before? My S.O. is in Chicago and I would very strongly prefer living with them to cut down costs.etc.

That's just rude of them.

:(
If anyone has insights into living in Rockford as racial/religious minority/ESL speaker - I'd really appreciate that as well! Are there any sort of cultural/immigrant community?

Hey nice! I got Rockford too! What do you like to do there?
Well we have some nice restaurants opening up lately around the downtown area, so I usually go down there and explore the cuisine. Rockford has a lot of nice sport facilities that are relatively new. Nightlife is pretty limited. I stick to two places, rbis and prairie street brewery, which are decent. Spring to fall is when Rockford is exploding with things to do but in the winter, it pretty much boring.

I just called now and I was told they're still inputting decisions through the end of today. If we don't hear anything back, that'd mean we're deferred to the March meeting (which I didn't get a specified date on). The poor woman sounded so hassled ... I can't imagine how insane it is for these assistants who get caught up in something they have 0 control over.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if there's an accepted student facebook group?

I think the award goes to UIC for running one of the least transparent, most frustrating admissions processes. What a waste of the application fee/day off for the interview.
In addition to interview day feedback survey, they should have one for post-II experience survey too

Reactions: 2 users
Also, just out of curiosity- does anyone's portal still display their interview information along with the "forwarded to the admissions committee" line?

I interviewed in Peoria last week. The second look is March 29th. They have to make decisions one way or another by then, right? I’m very confused.