2018-2019 University of Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone know when we will hear back from UMED?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
After many weeks of frustration and neuroticism, I decided to join SDN today to hopefully get some questions answered, or at least some reassurance. I interviewed in February and still haven’t heard back about my application. My portal says “forwarded to admissions committee”. I also applied to UMED, but of course I was told I couldn’t be interviewed without an acceptance. When I called admissions this morning I was told that I’d hear back after the next meeting on 4/11. If I’m even offered an acceptance, is there any chance that I might be able to interview for a specialty program this late?

I appreciate all feedback. Thanks guys!

I just got accepted last wednesday and I applied to GMED and they told me that in about 2 weeks they'd contact me on whether or not they chose me to interview for a second interview date. I know nothing about UMED, but GMED is having a second interview date and she said its due to the late admissions responses

Reactions: 1 users
I just got accepted last wednesday and I applied to GMED and they told me that in about 2 weeks they'd contact me on whether or not they chose me to interview for a second interview date. I know nothing about UMED, but GMED is having a second interview date and she said its due to the late admissions responses
Thanks for this response! I’ll just have to patiently wait to hear back from adcom after their next meeting

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who have interviewed and are still waiting to hear back, Leila spoke briefly about how the process has been going at second look.

They have only sent out 309 acceptances (as of 03/29/2019), as the admissions committee is being very conservative this year due to the new traffic rules. For comparison, last year (or 2 years ago?) 561 total acceptances were handed out (according to this spreadsheet). Everyone who has interviewed has been placed on a ranked list ("not for public consumption") and will be offered admission, in order, as spots become available as they do not want to over-enroll the incoming class. In other words, everyone who hasn't heard back has essentially been wait-listed until further notice.

Thank you for the information! Can you please elaborate on the "new traffic rules"? Also, how many spots in total are available across all campuses? Thanks!

if we are all ranked why are they meeting on April 11th then?? i am so confused by this process :(

Thank you for the information! Can you please elaborate on the "new traffic rules"? Also, how many spots in total are available across all campuses? Thanks!
180 - Chicago
60 - Peoria
60 - Rockford

Is there anywhere online that gives a good summary of cost of attendance by year? I got my financial aid package (i.e. loan amount eligibility) recently but it seems way off the numbers in seeing on the MSAR, roughly $55k for M1 compared to the ~$80k reported by MSAR and seemingly their financial aid website. There was some screwiness early on where I think they just plugged in the undergrad costs, as they had to revise it.

Assumably I'm not getting a tuition that is like $15k less.

Last edited:
I called to ask about UMED and I got a hopeful update. She told me that they are still actively reviewing candidates and are planning a second interview date in mid April when more people hear back from admissions. Also, even if you haven’t heard from adcom by then, she said that I could update UMED if I’m offered an acceptance, and they will still consider my application.

Reactions: 3 users
I would assume that they would still meet as a committee before officially accepting anyone, regardless of their rank on the list. Perhaps they also re-review applications are readjust applicants' ranks as more information becomes available (e.g. LOIs).

Also do they determine campus placement at this meeting?

Any other MSTP interviewees just get the MD pre-II R? Does this have any bearing on our MSTP decision?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone not heard from financial aid yet/ has anyone heard? I thought we were going hear by this week.

Can anyone who went to second look in Chicago share some details?

Is UIC not showing up under the Choose your medical tool on AMCAS for anyone else?

For those that received financial aid information, was it all loans, or was some scholarship money included? Just want to know what to expect
From what I know both MDfaithful and I are both OOS and I believe both she and I got the scholarship that covers the non-resident tuition fees seeing as how we got the email on similar time.

Does anyone know what the tuition is gonna be for UIC? I didn't get any scholarships (based on my award letter) but it says that the total tuition will be approximately 62k as opposed to 97k, which is MSAR data.

Does anyone know if UIC is gonna cut down the tuition for OOS students next year? I do really hope that this is not just a system glitch haha...

Does someone know if we need to turn in immunization records + proof of graduation before we receive our scholarship letter? I am OOS student. Help is much appreciated.

Does someone know if we need to turn in immunization records + proof of graduation before we receive our scholarship letter? I am OOS student. Help is much appreciated.

I emailed copies of my immunizations a week ago but my portal still hasn’t updated. Question: for the the proof of graduation, do we need to just send our transcripts to UIC? Thanks!

Does anyone know what the tuition is gonna be for UIC? I didn't get any scholarships (based on my award letter) but it says that the total tuition will be approximately 62k as opposed to 97k, which is MSAR data.

Does anyone know if UIC is gonna cut down the tuition for OOS students next year? I do really hope that this is not just a system glitch haha...

from my understanding (and correct me if i'm wrong if anyone else knows) the award letter does not include the summer 2020 tuition which is about identical to the fall and spring tuitions, meaning that the award letter essentially doesn't include 1/3 of what we're going to end up paying for the year

How long did it take for people to receive more information after being accepted?

I just called and asked about a variety of things, so I'll detail our conversation below:

Q: When is a good time to start looking for housing for SPP if we choose the stipend?
A: NOW :)))

Q: When will I be placed and have the opportunity for second look?
A: Placement should occur within this week or next week. Technically second look has already happened which is an issue for SPP students who didn't know they were SPP until after da fact. smh. So, to rectify the issue, admissions says students are free to contact them to schedule a personal second look at their campus placement location.

Q: Why can't I see UIC as an option under the Choose Your Med School tool on AMCAS?
A: SPP students have a conditional acceptance. Even so, they should still be able to choose UIC if they intend on passing SPP, attending UIC, and withdrawing from other MD programs. Admissions says they're working on it.

Q: How are immunization records and proof of graduation turned in? What's needed?
A: Admissions says they didn't release allat info because they didn't want to have students send in stuff before they are closer to committing to UIC. I'm assuming we should have further instructions in the near future as AMCAS's Commit to Enroll is approaching. Nonetheless, we are all free to send in official transcripts to the admissions office as proof of graduation at any time.

Q: Exactly how many students will be placed at each campus?
A: Chicago 180, Peoria 65, Rockford 55.

Reactions: 7 users
I just called and asked about a variety of things, so I'll detail our conversation below:

Q: When is a good time to start looking for housing for SPP if we choose the stipend?
A: NOW :)))

Q: When will I be placed and have the opportunity for second look?
A: Placement should occur within this week or next week. Technically second look has already happened which is an issue for SPP students who didn't know they were SPP until after da fact. smh. So, to rectify the issue, admissions says students are free to contact them to schedule a personal second look at their campus placement location.

Q: Why can't I see UIC as an option under the Choose Your Med School tool on AMCAS?
A: SPP students have a conditional acceptance. Even so, they should still be able to choose UIC if they intend on passing SPP, attending UIC, and withdrawing from other MD programs. Admissions says they're working on it.

Q: How are immunization records and proof of graduation turned in? What's needed?
A: Admissions says they didn't release allat info because they didn't want to have students send in stuff before they are closer to committing to UIC. I'm assuming we should have further instructions in the near future as AMCAS's Commit to Enroll is approaching. Nonetheless, we are all free to send in official transcripts to the admissions office as proof of graduation at any time.

Q: Exactly how many students will be placed at each campus?
A: Chicago 180, Peoria 65, Rockford 55.

So much WIN from this post! Thank you!!

Anyone admitted to SPP (summer prematriculation program) coming from Out-of-state know how financial aid works after we complete the program? Total CoA for OOS is 127K so is there any way we will be able to receive scholarships, grants, etc?

Tough decision but just withdrew. Had a Chicago placement and the Sweeney scholarship. Hopefully, that helps someone here!

Reactions: 7 users
Anyone admitted to SPP (summer prematriculation program) coming from Out-of-state know how financial aid works after we complete the program? Total CoA for OOS is 127K so is there any way we will be able to receive scholarships, grants, etc?

I called about this last week. Since we aren’t technically admitted, we won’t receive our financial aid package until we complete spp. I’m also oos and am very nervous about the coa.

Reactions: 2 users
I emailed copies of my immunizations a week ago but my portal still hasn’t updated. Question: for the the proof of graduation, do we need to just send our transcripts to UIC? Thanks!
Did you just go off of the requirements listed on their website from last year?

from my understanding (and correct me if i'm wrong if anyone else knows) the award letter does not include the summer 2020 tuition which is about identical to the fall and spring tuitions, meaning that the award letter essentially doesn't include 1/3 of what we're going to end up paying for the year

This is correct! I'm IS but I emailed financial aid back and forth a few times to try and understand the cost. It sure is confusing.

is the Admissions committee still set to meet tomorrow?

Since everyone who hasn’t heard back is technically waitlisted is it safe to assume we won’t hear of many more acceptances until after April 30? Or did the committee explicitly say decisions will be released today / tomorrow

Since everyone who hasn’t heard back is technically waitlisted is it safe to assume we won’t hear of many more acceptances until after April 30? Or did the committee explicitly say decisions will be released today / tomorrow
I don't think anyone has an answer to this. We do know that an official waitlist will most likely be formed after today's meeting, but there's no info on how many acceptances will be released after today's meeting.

I don't think anyone has an answer to this. We do know that an official waitlist will most likely be formed after today's meeting, but there's no info on how many acceptances will be released after today's meeting.

I had figured this was the case, I'm just really tired of waiting around and was hoping for some sort of finality to their admissions process, be it positive or negative.

Reactions: 2 users