2018-2019 University of Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What could they possibly be discussing at these scheduled meetings?
How to most effectively give us more anxiety... and they’re damn good at it

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
hi i interviewed in december and have also not heard back, but at our interview day, we were told the acceptance rate (post interview) would be lower this year because last years was way too high and they ended up having too many people accept their offer than they had seats for. they said they were going to be more conservative (which is why we're hearing back so late), but also that it wouldn't quite be 70%+ post interview acceptance rate this year. i'm not sure if any interview dates this year have heard differently but please confirm if you heard otherwise at your interview day ! i see a lot of posts on this forum about the high post interview acceptance rate, but from what i know, it's not true for our cycle (unfortunately) ): ): ):
I heard 715 are interviewed and 630 accepted from my interview day host in Peoria during my February interview. So that’s like 88% post-II accepted. Here’s to hoping!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What could they possibly be discussing at these scheduled meetings?
They are just flipping coins on our apps. Heads you get the "deferred" status, tails you get deferred without a status change, and if it lands on the edge they have to make a decision.

Reactions: 7 users
Per my conversation with Leila, whether formally notified or stuck in silence, that equates to a deferred decision. It seems all files are reviewed at meetings but due to IT issues not everyone is being notified. Hope this clears things up! I know it’s stressful to not know what’s going on but try to trust the process :)
It makes sense that no news means deferred. It just seemed odd that nobody has reported an acceptance yet since the past meeting. oh well.

It makes sense that no news means deferred. It just seemed odd that nobody has reported an acceptance yet since the past meeting. oh well.

I agree that is unexpected. Hopefully for our sake they accepted a very select few this round and that’s why we haven’t seen anything on this site

Someone at some point said there was also a Facebook for UIC hopefuls. I'd like to also have that tab open to make sure I'm covering all my bases for my own sanity. Does anyone know what the link for the group is?

Anybody from SPP hear back yet?
So I called this morning, and someone else from my interview day (29 Jan) called Monday, and we were both told that SPP candidates will have heard yesterday or will hear today. We were also told that it'll be an email. Hope this helps!

So I called this morning, and someone else from my interview day (29 Jan) called Monday, and we were both told that SPP candidates will have heard yesterday or will hear today. We were also told that it'll be an email. Hope this helps!
Thank you!

I just called to check the status of my application. She looked me up and said they’re still inputting decisions and that I should hear by Friday. She said even if it’s a deferral, I should hear by Friday.

Called admissions today. They said no decision was made on my application at the meeting last week. So the next time I could hear back is after the April 11th meeting.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
ive also called admissions before to check on this. tbh after reading various people's posts I'm not sure that the people answering the phones actually know the status of our application. it seems like they say the same things to everyone, even when people get accepted like later that day. i think the only person who would have actual knowledge about this would be Leila or someone else on the committee

I just got into the SPP!!! Starts 17 May-28 June! Leila just emailed 10 minutes ago. Wooohooo Class of 2023

Reactions: 9 users
does anyone know how financial aid works for those admitted to the SPP program (after you matriculate into the College of Medicine)?

Last edited:
I just received an II for the GMED program. The interview is next Monday (4/1). Can anyone tell me what I should be expecting? Getting the interview nerves all over again @_@

Can’t believe I’m finally about to write this... feels so unreal that I already have the imposter syndrome.... ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ohhhhh my goodness !!!!!

Reactions: 8 users
Can’t believe I’m finally about to write this... feels so unreal that I already have the imposter syndrome.... ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ohhhhh my goodness !!!!!
That’s amazing congrats!!! :). Are you SPP? Also we’re you notified via email or portal? Thanks!

Congrats to those who are receiving acceptances this week!

Has anyone received an AAMC background check email yet?

Congrats!! Is this regular acceptance or for SPP? Also when did you receive the acceptance?
i believe the last few posters/ everyone accepted this week so far are SPP!
huge congrats to you all i hope i get to join you in the class!!!

Reactions: 3 users
So I checked my portal and the portal still says the "forwarded...." message but I had an offer acceptance tab (accepted through email for SPP yesterday). If I accept the offer it is in no way binding.. correct?

So I checked my portal and the portal still says the "forwarded...." message but I had an offer acceptance tab (accepted through email for SPP yesterday). If I accept the offer it is in no way binding.. correct?
Not at all! April 30th is the date in which you have to commit to one medical school.

That’s amazing congrats!!! :). Are you SPP? Also we’re you notified via email or portal? Thanks!
SPP. Although, not only SPP folks heard back this week. A classmate of mine was accepted on Tuesday for regular admission, no summer pre-matriculation program for him. He interviewed middle of February.
I received an email from Leila around noon and my portal had an "acceptance offer" tab when I logged in to accept the offer.
To folks still waiting to hear back, KEEP THE FAITH!!! Your time is coming!! Trust God and in the meantime, stay busy and stay away from sdn and checking your portal. It makes one neurotic and your sanity tanks every time your portal still says "forwarded to adcoms". I know this is easier said than done, but I'm praying everyone hears great news soon!!! #YourTimeisComing #ForgetWinter

Reactions: 10 users
Accepted for SPP! Got the email Wednesday around 5 PM! Waahhooo!!!! Keep the faith guys!

Accepted yesterday via email, but chose campus preference this morning. Depending on placement, Ill be torn between UIC and IU.
Anyone wanna help me tip the scale in either direction? lol

For those of you that have been accepted, how long did it take to find out about campus placement?

For those of you that went to second look today, do you mind sharing how it was? Any take home things you pointed out? How was the environmental/ cohorts? Faculty and staff? Overall vibe? Thanks!!

Does anyone know when the white coat ceremony is? I can't find it anywhere and got accepted 2 days before second look so I couldn't go

I can't say much about Chicago campus, but I will say that the curriculum is true pass/fail for preclinical years (M1 and M2). I will also say there are so many opportunities at UICOM overall that you shouldn't have any regrets if you get accepted and matriculate here!

The strike doesn’t affect medical students at all, but if you want more information about what’s going on, there’s a link at the bottom of this notice posted on campus.
IMG_1313.JPG

What areas do you guys recommend for housing/living? Does anyone live close to downtown? If so, how long does it take to get to campus (I know how heavy the Chicago traffic gets)?

Also, any SPP peeps interested in roommates??

What areas do you guys recommend for housing/living? Does anyone live close to downtown? If so, how long does it take to get to campus (I know how heavy the Chicago traffic gets)?

Also, any SPP peeps interested in roommates??

Little Italy is a good place to start looking. I know a lot of people who live north of 290 in the Ukrainian village area, which is super nice. Rent downtown is gonna be a lot more expensive than the areas I just mentioned, but you’ll be closer to all the attractions. If you’re looking around the medical district. Try not to look too far west of western ave, it gets a little sketch.

You don’t need a car, public transportation will be your best friend. The pink line drops you off right next to the library and the 157 bus drops you off right in front of the college of medicine.

Little Italy is a good place to start looking. I know a lot of people who live north of 290 in the Ukrainian village area, which is super nice. Rent downtown is gonna be a lot more expensive than the areas I just mentioned, but you’ll be closer to all the attractions. If you’re looking around the medical district. Try not to look too far west of western ave, it gets a little sketch.

You don’t need a car, public transportation will be your best friend. The pink line drops you off right next to the library and the 157 bus drops you off right in front of the college of medicine.

Awesome thank you for the information!!

After many weeks of frustration and neuroticism, I decided to join SDN today to hopefully get some questions answered, or at least some reassurance. I interviewed in February and still haven’t heard back about my application. My portal says “forwarded to admissions committee”. I also applied to UMED, but of course I was told I couldn’t be interviewed without an acceptance. When I called admissions this morning I was told that I’d hear back after the next meeting on 4/11. If I’m even offered an acceptance, is there any chance that I might be able to interview for a specialty program this late?

I appreciate all feedback. Thanks guys!