Jan 13, 2019
Status
Medical Student
I don't think the current admissions timeline is outlandish. They've accepted at least 300 people and haven't given post-II decisions to enough applicants so as to ensure eventually-open spots don't go unfilled. Especially given that they overaccepted last year, which is a huge financial burden for every extra student beyond capacity, it makes sense they are being especially cautious. It's a harsh truth, but schools hold all the power in the process, and as sucky as it is, they can keep you waiting for as long as they need. This will be the case as long as there are fewer seats than applicants.

On the other hand, telling people they'll hear back by a certain date and then giving silence for months is sh*tty and just poor planning in general. Also, I highly doubt the story re: lost interview records is true. That student certainly wouldn't be blabbing to friends about it and discussing the status of that individual's application; that's grounds for legal action against the student who leaked the info, if they signed an NDA (which I'm assuming almost all members of admissions committees everywhere do).
Well said.

Jan 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I don't think the current admissions timeline is outlandish. They've accepted at least 300 people and haven't given post-II decisions to enough applicants so as to ensure eventually-open spots don't go unfilled. Especially given that they overaccepted last year, which is a huge financial burden for every extra student beyond capacity, it makes sense they are being especially cautious. It's a harsh truth, but schools hold all the power in the process, and as sucky as it is, they can keep you waiting for as long as they need. This will be the case as long as there are fewer seats than applicants.

On the other hand, telling people they'll hear back by a certain date and then giving silence for months is sh*tty and just poor planning in general. Also, I highly doubt the story re: lost interview records is true. That student certainly wouldn't be blabbing to friends about it and discussing the status of that individual's application; that's grounds for legal action against the student who leaked the info, if they signed an NDA (which I'm assuming almost all members of admissions committees everywhere do).
It was a staff member who I spoke to, not a student. I have no idea how sensitive they consider this information because it was offered extremely readily to me. Like, I didn't ask. They were just making small talk.

Apr 1, 2019
If we’ve all been waitlisted, why wouldn’t we at least hear that directly from admissions? I know a few deferred applicants that were offered an acceptance last week. Decisions are clearly still being made and handed out.

Jan 13, 2019
Status
Medical Student
If we’ve all been waitlisted, why wouldn’t we at least hear that directly from admissions? I know a few deferred applicants that were offered an acceptance last week. Decisions are clearly still being made and handed out.
Per the wording on deferral emails, the waitlist does not become official until after 4/30. However, since they are only offering acceptances as other people withdraw at this point, the waitlist has effectively started already

Apr 1, 2019
Per the wording on deferral emails, the waitlist does not become official until after 4/30. However, since they are only offering acceptances as other people withdraw at this point, the waitlist has effectively started already
Oh, okay got it. I’m guessing the fact that I did not receive an official deferral email with this info is due to more “IT issues” lol

pieceofmeat96

2+ Year Member
May 12, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I know UIC has a rather comprehensive list of requirements: I took two behavioral science courses in college - does this suggest that I have to take another course prior to matriculation, as UIC emphasizes 3 courses? I completed my degree a year ago. Is UIC receptive to allowing students who have completed their education to not take another course? I'm not too thrilled to spend money on a behavioral science course.

Also, my award letter has a pretty low tuition ($35k) for my M1 year. I thought it would have been $46k. Is the remaining $11k for the summer 2020 tuition? And is the $46k or the $35k the tuition for our remaining M2-M4 years, provided nothing changes with my FASFA.

Jan 13, 2019
Status
Medical Student
I know UIC has a rather comprehensive list of requirements: I took two behavioral science courses in college - does this suggest that I have to take another course prior to matriculation, as UIC emphasizes 3 courses? I completed my degree a year ago. Is UIC receptive to allowing students who have completed their education to not take another course? I'm not too thrilled to spend money on a behavioral science course.

Also, my award letter has a pretty low tuition ($35k) for my M1 year. I thought it would have been $46k. Is the remaining $11k for the summer 2020 tuition? And is the $46k or the $35k the tuition for our remaining M2-M4 years, provided nothing changes with my FASFA.
I’d call admissions, but you would think if you already graduated and are accepted, they wouldn’t ask you to take another course. Besides, I think (or would like to) these requirements are flexible to an extent. Is one more semester of Sociology 101 really going to change your views on healthcare? Probably not

Reactions: VikMed1790
Apr 1, 2019
So no one heard anything yesterday from thursday’s Meeting?
If your application still says “forwarded to admissions committee”, then chances are your application was affected by some IT error that’s affecting how/when your portal is updated. For instance, she was able to tell me that my file was presented in March and then again at the meeting last week (I interviewed in February), so clearly my app was deferred at some point in March, but my portal does not reflect that. When I called today, I was told that they are beginning to compile the waitlist which will be sent out officially sometime at the end of the month. However, they are still making decisions on files so you could technically still be accepted before the end of the month via email or a portal update (she couldn’t tell me for sure). Also, they have another meeting in May, so acceptances could go out then as well. Like other people on this thread have said, we can pretty much assume that if we don’t hear back before the end of the month, then we’ve been waitlisted.

Jan 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
If your application still says “forwarded to admissions committee”, then chances are your application was affected by some IT error that’s affecting how/when your portal is updated. For instance, she was able to tell me that my file was presented in March and then again at the meeting last week (I interviewed in February), so clearly my app was deferred at some point in March, but my portal does not reflect that. When I called today, I was told that they are beginning to compile the waitlist which will be sent out officially sometime at the end of the month. However, they are still making decisions on files so you could technically still be accepted before the end of the month via email or a portal update (she couldn’t tell me for sure). Also, they have another meeting in May, so acceptances could go out then as well. Like other people on this thread have said, we can pretty much assume that if we don’t hear back before the end of the month, then we’ve been waitlisted.
I just don't believe that this IT issue is a simple problem with updating portals. If that's really all it is, why haven't they sent out a courtesy email letting people know?

I interviewed 7 months ago and the front desk people have never been able to give me a straight answer on if my application has been reviewed or not - even when I've directly asked. They'll say that it's been reviewed at each meeting since October because it's the policy that all applications are reviewed at every meeting. But the reality seems to be that they have no way of actually verifying if that took place.

If they've really been reviewing my application month after month, why don't they have the decency to reject me? They shouldn't need that many reviews of one app to decide they're not interested.

Jan 13, 2019
Status
Medical Student
I just don't believe that this IT issue is a simple problem with updating portals. If that's really all it is, why haven't they sent out a courtesy email letting people know?

I interviewed 7 months ago and the front desk people have never been able to give me a straight answer on if my application has been reviewed or not - even when I've directly asked. They'll say that it's been reviewed at each meeting since October because it's the policy that all applications are reviewed at every meeting. But the reality seems to be that they have no way of actually verifying if that took place.

If they've really been reviewing my application month after month, why don't they have the decency to reject me? They shouldn't need that many reviews of one app to decide they're not interested.
I'll add a +1 that I do wish they would at least send some formal rejections because after 7 months of limbo it's tough to imagine actually getting in at this point :cigar:

As for the portal issues, my understanding is they're not able to automatically update portals but can do so just fine manually. It makes sense the manual portal updates for accepted applicants will be prioritized to ensure the message is being communicated.

Jan 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I'll add a +1 that I do wish they would at least send some formal rejections because after 7 months of limbo it's tough to imagine actually getting in at this point :cigar:

As for the portal issues, my understanding is they're not able to automatically update portals but can do so just fine manually. It makes sense the manual portal updates for accepted applicants will be prioritized to ensure the message is being communicated.
I'm offended that after 7 months, I'm not worth a manual update that they don't love me.

Feb 2, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Anyone in Peoria campus know what apartments most students live in? Also, is there anyone that can shed some light on the peoria campus? I literally know nothing about it lol

Aug 9, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I think I'll do dorm option since it's only a 6weeks program in chicago and then I'll be moving to peoria for my official campus placement. No need for apartment hassle lol
That's what I am going to do! I still haven't gotten placed, but the dorm seems like a headache free decision for those 6 weeks. Also, I am from Peoria so let me know if you have any questions about the area!

Reactions: mylittlepony15
Dec 14, 2018
In retrospect, it would have been nice to know our placement with enough time to possibly sign a lease if placed in chicago. That’s what I would have done, and secured the monies :)

Reactions: VikMed1790
Jan 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Did anyone who interviewed not do UIC's usual three interview format? If so, have you heard back or gotten a deferral notice?

Apr 1, 2019
Did anyone who interviewed not do UIC's usual three interview format? If so, have you heard back or gotten a deferral notice?
I interviewed in Peoria in February. I only had two interviews—one with a student, and one with faculty. I haven’t heard back or gotten the official deferral, I’m assuming waitlist is inevitable at this point :(

Reactions: mmgrit35
Aug 9, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical

I interviewed in Jan at the Chicago campus and I was told I would be interviewing with one student and two faculty members. However, one of the faculty members was to ride the train from Peoria to Chicago that day and they didn't make it due to the weather, so I was interviewed by a second student instead. I got into SPP on March 27th.

Reactions: mmgrit35

muffin14

2+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2017
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Same here. Just listed reasons why a campus reassignment would benefit me.
I just e-mailed admissions and they said they will compile all campus requests at the end of April. They also said they will notify us if we are granted reassignment so I'm not sure but it seems like we can assume we weren't granted a site change if they don't get back to us.