Jul 8, 2018
Does anyone know what the Castlebranch company is about? It seems like some kind of a background company that the UIC works with.. Can anyone add a little more detail/knowledge about this?

Feb 15, 2019
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Here are the Peoria housing resources! I won't be attending unfortunately but hope this helps. Images should be in order but there are page numbers at the bottom of each page to help orient you.

Attachments

Aug 12, 2018
Hey guys! So I’m in the dark here. I haven’t received any notification post interview. Does that mean I’m waitlisted?

Jan 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys! So I’m in the dark here. I haven’t received any notification post interview. Does that mean I’m waitlisted?
I spoke with the admissions director last week who said they're still working through everyone who interviewed, especially if you only have 2 interview scores. She didn't tell me anything about a waitlist, but she said they were expecting to send out a lot more acceptances once people withdraw on the 30th.

Dec 11, 2018
I think that’s what the speculation is here.
I spoke with the admissions director last week who said they're still working through everyone who interviewed, especially if you only have 2 interview scores. She didn't tell me anything about a waitlist, but she said they were expecting to send out a lot more acceptances once people withdraw on the 30th.
Do you know what the issue is with the interview scores? I wasn’t aware that there isn’t a standard interview process across all interviews...

Jan 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I think that’s what the speculation is here.

Do you know what the issue is with the interview scores? I wasn’t aware that there isn’t a standard interview process across all interviews...
I've been told that a non-insignificant number of people have only 2 interview scores due to one of 3 reasons:
1. A score was removed at the applicants request
2. An applicant only ever interviewed with 2 interviewers (due to interviewer availability)
3. A score was "lost" (this part is still unclear on exactly what the deal is)

And for whatever reason, the committee is still working on evaluating these people.

1e4

Apr 8, 2018
The MSAR says 50-70 people will be waitlisted. Does anyone know what percent of those people get accepted? Any information on last year's waitlist movement?

Reactions: VikMed1790
Jan 13, 2019
Status
Medical Student
The MSAR says 50-70 people will be waitlisted. Does anyone know what percent of those people get accepted? Any information on last year's waitlist movement?
I don’t know if this year can really be compared to last due to how slow UIC has been moving this cycle. There’s far more than 70 applicants who haven’t heard back yet and, if past years are any indication, a significant number of acceptances left to give out in May

Dec 20, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
So are we just not getting post-interview decisions back before April 30th?

Reactions: Vexpo08
Feb 7, 2019
Does anyone know what happens if you are currently holding on to an acceptance and then accepted to UIC in the next couple weeks? How long will we have to hold on to both acceptances / would we know our campus placement right away?

Jan 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
For those of you who live near UIC (Chicago), do you know what the average rent we can expect?
Depends hugely on where you want to live and if you're renting a room vs an entire apartment. If you want to be right around the medical district, you're probably looking at ~$750-800 for a room and $1,250+ for a one bedroom.

Then again, the medical district isn't exactly a "hip and young" area, so you might want to commute anyway, especially if it brings your costs down. Just be sure you take into account how you're getting to school - if you don't have a car/don't want to deal with one, then you want to live off the pink or blue line (which stop at campus) or a bus that runs frequently/express (like the Ashland bus).

Reactions: VikMed1790

pieceofmeat96

2+ Year Member
May 12, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Depends hugely on where you want to live and if you're renting a room vs an entire apartment. If you want to be right around the medical district, you're probably looking at ~$750-800 for a room and $1,250+ for a one bedroom.

Then again, the medical district isn't exactly a "hip and young" area, so you might want to commute anyway, especially if it brings your costs down. Just be sure you take into account how you're getting to school - if you don't have a car/don't want to deal with one, then you want to live off the pink or blue line (which stop at campus) or a bus that runs frequently/express (like the Ashland bus).
Thanks for this! Just to clarify, what do you mean for a room vs a bedroom - are you referring to a studio vs bedroom, or more like getting an apartment with a roommate/suitmate vs getting an individual apartment?

Also, is the medical district area unsafe? Do you suggest living away? Little Italy vs Tri-towers?

Jan 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for this! Just to clarify, what do you mean for a room vs a bedroom - are you referring to a studio vs bedroom, or more like getting an apartment with a roommate/suitmate vs getting an individual apartment?

Also, is the medical district area unsafe? Do you suggest living away? Little Italy vs Tri-towers?
I mean like a room in a several bedroom apartment with roommates, sorry.

The medical district isn't "unsafe." It's not super bougie either, it's just kind of a typical neighborhood. If you go particularly west of campus, you'll get into lower income areas (Lawndale, Garfield, Heart of Chicago, etc.). Tri-Taylor is pretty nondescript and residential. Little Italy/University Village is a bit family orientated, but there's lots of restaurants on Taylor between campuses.

I don't recommend not living near campus, but I also don't recommend not-not living near campus, you know? Ultimately, if you just don't want to commute, live close by, just know you're going to be surrounded by hospitals and south of campus is a couple blocks of industrial park. If it's important to you to live in a "trendy" neighborhood with "hip" bars and shops, consider Pilsen, West Town, Ukrainian Village, or Wicker. Near West would be a decent close option too, but there's less going on. If you want to be around skyscrapers and big brand name stores, go South Loop or China Town.

Anything east of I-90 and north of the Loop, I consider annoying to get to campus from, though River North and Wrigleyville are very popular neighborhoods amongst out-of-state college grads. Logan is probably the "hippest" neighborhood in the city currently, but it's an hour+ on the blue-line from campus (though I know multiple people who live there and drive to campus).

Dec 20, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
‘Forwarded to Admissions’ gang how we doing?
I actually called today out of curiosity & the message was that committee is meeting may 16, acceptances may come out before that, wait list probably out may 17

• Sad
Reactions: 1e4 and ddog123

1e4

Apr 8, 2018
I actually called today out of curiosity & the message was that committee is meeting may 16, acceptances may come out before that, wait list probably out may 17
So they can't even say that they will or will not do anything at all in the coming 2 weeks? Did they not even take time to create a ranked waitlist as they looked but did nothing about our apps for like 6 meetings? What do these people do when they meet, jeez!

Jan 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
So they can't even say that they will or will not do anything at all in the coming 2 weeks? Did they not even take time to create a ranked waitlist as they looked but did nothing about our apps for like 6 meetings? What do these people do when they meet, jeez!
I'm honestly super curious about if there will turn out to have not been very many withdrawals or if admissions just doesn't have enough applicants ranked to pull from at this point.

Jan 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
What would cause a dramatic year-to-year change in yield though?
I guess theoretically they could have put a much greater emphasis on only accepting students who will want to matriculate, but that has never seemed like a particular priority of UIC. I think it's more likely that they don't have enough people ranked to pull from and won't until the next meeting. That would fit with why they don't have a waitlist because they could have called a rank list that is pulled from as people withdrew a waitlist after 3/15 and didn't.

1e4

Apr 8, 2018
I guess theoretically they could have put a much greater emphasis on only accepting students who will want to matriculate, but that has never seemed like a particular priority of UIC. I think it's more likely that they don't have enough people ranked to pull from and won't until the next meeting. That would fit with why they don't have a waitlist because they could have called a rank list that is pulled from as people withdrew a waitlist after 3/15 and didn't.
I want to buy into what you're saying, but I'm reluctant to dismiss the idea that the admissions office is incompetent.

Reactions: theOne786
Jan 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I want to buy into what you're saying, but I'm reluctant to dismiss the idea that the admissions office is incompetent.
I would call not having a final rank list by May pretty incompetent, lol.

I mean, unless they have a final rank list and choose to just sit on that information. That would be gross incompetence.

Reactions: theOne786 and 1e4
Dec 20, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I would call not having a final rank list by May pretty incompetent, lol.

I mean, unless they have a final rank list and choose to just sit on that information. That would be gross incompetence.
based on the phone call I had she made it seem like they are just starting to put together a rank list this week....

Nov 1, 2017
i don't understand why Leila would have told the people at second look that everyone has been ranked in MARCH. it clearly is not true, as there has been a decent number of people withdrawing their acceptances. if everyone was ranked as they said, people would have been accepted after others withdrew. this is already such a stressful process, and it is insane how little u of i is caring about their applicants

Jan 13, 2019
Status
Medical Student
i don't understand why Leila would have told the people at second look that everyone has been ranked in MARCH. it clearly is not true, as there has been a decent number of people withdrawing their acceptances. if everyone was ranked as they said, people would have been accepted after others withdrew. this is already such a stressful process, and it is insane how little u of i is caring about their applicants
It is possible that a more significant number of applicants have been accepted since Second Look than the posts on SDN have indicated. Someone just reported an acceptance on 4/29 so I see no reason to doubt that they have started accepting applicants off the list

Nov 1, 2017
It is possible that a more significant number of applicants have been accepted since Second Look than the posts on SDN have indicated. Someone just reported an acceptance on 4/29 so I see no reason to doubt that they have started accepting applicants off the list
even if that is true, the admissions office should be updating us. it is weird that they told people who were already accepted this information, but not the people who this pertains to. personally, i was informed i would hear back on march 22nd. when I didn't, i tried calling the admissions office various times, and every single time I was informed i would hear back by a random date (which was never true). it is really unprofessional to do this to applicants