2018-2019 University of Massachussetts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
anyone who interviewed dec 5 hear back yet? i haven't received any "continue to be under consideration" since the one that came coupled with the communication error email

IS Pre II R. I guess it makes sense since they seem to be focusing more on OOS than IS this year...

Reactions: 1 user
IS Pre II R. I guess it makes sense since they seem to be focusing more on OOS than IS this year...
Are they focusing more on OOS than IS this year? Why is that?
Sorry to hear that but congrats on your acceptance elsewhere!

Is anyone who interviewed late Oct still waiting to hear back? Feels like an R since they're waiting so long...

Historically, what has been the timeline for Umass giving out the majority of its in-state regular acceptances (meaning not people who applied early decision/binding early, not PURCH, not MD/PhD, etc)?

Historically, what has been the timeline for Umass giving out the majority of its in-state regular acceptances (meaning not people who applied early decision/binding early, not PURCH, not MD/PhD, etc)?

I’m IS and got my decisions 4 weeks after my interview. I’m not sure how many applicants they accept and what the yield is, but right now the Facebook group has 175 members. Most look like they’re from MA.

I’m IS and got my decisions 4 weeks after my interview. I’m not sure how many applicants they accept and what the yield is, but right now the Facebook group has 175 members. Most look like they’re from MA.

may i ask what month you interviewed?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know if all 175 are accepted students or are there also current students?
Congrats on your A by the way!

Thanks! It looks like 12/175 are current students based on their page admin status. Not sure if there are other current students among the non-admins.

Interviewed late Jan and just received the "active consideration" email... anyone else interview around then and get any news? Wondering how long I'll have to wait for more news... :(

Waitlisted just now. Interviewed 12/14 OOS.

Does everyone get the "under continued consideration" email at some point before the final decision?

Any acceptances recently or just waitlists?
Based on the number of students in the FB group I'm considering the possibility that theyre not sending out any more acceptances for the timebeing

Can anyone shed some info on the waitlist? Chances/procedures/timeline?
According to the MSAR they offer 75 waitlist positions and take 50 off of that, but I'm not sure how accurate that data is. In years past it looks like they offer positions to those waitlisted after April 30th, but I don't know how or if the new AAMC traffic rules will affect that. I think in general the waitlist movement is pretty good though.

There is absolutely no way to know. The above is all speculation. If they really like you when you interview, they will accept you at some point. They do have fewer open spots at this point, but most schools accept roughly double the incoming class size over the course of the app cycle. Acceptances will continue to stream out as applicants withdraw.

Reactions: 1 users
There is absolutely no way to know. The above is all speculation. If they really like you when you interview, they will accept you at some point. They do have fewer open spots at this point, but most schools accept roughly double the incoming class size over the course of the app cycle. Acceptances will continue to stream out as applicants withdraw.
i hope more spots do open! i read somewhere that umass tends to make a lot of their decisions in feb-march, so was really surprised to hear that there's already 100+ people in the group

Reactions: 2 users
I wish they told us when we would hear back, instead of keeping dozens of people in limbo until whenever..

Reactions: 9 users
based on the discussion about the FB group and ^waitlisted, class must already be full as of now..

based on the discussion about the FB group and ^waitlisted, class must already be full as of now..

This seems silly to me, why would they keep interviewing after they've filled the class? Also, I they accept at least 2-3x the amount of seats that are available over the course of the cycle (well over 175), since not everyone who is admitted will attend. The FB page is probably a bad indicator because people will probably stay in there even after the April 30th deadline

I think the general consensus is that no schools ever "interview for the waitlist" after a certain point, but maybe I'm just rationalizing because I had a January interview :p

Reactions: 4 users
This seems silly to me, why would they keep interviewing after they've filled the class? Also, I they accept at least 2-3x the amount of seats that are available over the course of the cycle (well over 175), since not everyone who is admitted will attend. The FB page is probably a bad indicator because people will probably stay in there even after the April 30th deadline

I think the general consensus is that no schools ever "interview for the waitlist" after a certain point, but maybe I'm just rationalizing because I had a January interview :p
The FB page is not necessarily a bad indicator given we are still months away from the April 30th deadline. I'd say it's actually pretty accurate for how many students they have admitted.

The FB page is not necessarily a bad indicator given we are still months away from the April 30th deadline. I'd say it's actually pretty accurate for how many students they have admitted.
That being said, UMass said they send out acceptances throughout March and April, so it's not like they're not sending any more out. They may just be waiting to see how many plan to enroll.

Reactions: 2 users
Y'all need to chill. They're definitely not done accepting. They've probably just accepted ~more than half of those whom they plan to accept.

Reactions: 5 users
At this point, the only metric UMass has to determine how much of the class they've filled is the number of students who've put down a deposit. This number will most definitely be higher than the number of students actually attending in the Fall since the deposit is refundable. Therefore, apart from historical data/statistics, there can't possibly be any way for the school to definitively conclude whether the class is full.

Also, remember that due to these newfangled AAMC rules the number of waitlist spots offered and the number of students accepted off the waitlist is probably going to be higher than in previous years.

Of course, most of what I just said is entirely speculative, *as are a lot of the comments going around lately*. To everyone still waiting, don't lose hope. To everyone being overly speculative, stop freaking everyone else out...

Reactions: 3 users
On a thread from two years ago a current student at the time said this regarding the process:

"As for some info on the process, I was told that we cannot accept more people than we have spots at any given time. This is why they typically don't send rejections or waitlists until late April unless the decision was not close. Because of the limit on acceptances, a lot of movement from the waitlist happens so it is not a bad place to be."

Not sure if that's how things still work now but I thought it was interesting.

I would bet they’re still accepting people for sure or at least offering waitlist positions likely to lead to an acceptance. I know it’s hard to predict with the new traffic rules but if they’re interviewing into March I’d be surprised if there’s no spots left for any of them. Last year there were a lot of acceptances Feb/March I think so let’s hold out hope!! :)

Hi everyone. I was accepted yesterday, and this was my second application cycle. My main application was submitted May 31, and my secondary was done by July 10. I am IS, LizzyM 67, 3.63 GPA, 510 MCAT. I am currently taking one gap year to work in the medical field. Good luck to everyone!
Hi! Congrats!! Would you mind sharing how you felt your interview day went? I'm trying to assess *in general* how important it is if one MMI station doesn't go so well

Hi! Congrats!! Would you mind sharing how you felt your interview day went? I'm trying to assess *in general* how important it is if one MMI station doesn't go so well
Hi Angdctr,
One of my interviews didn't go well from my perspective, one was so-so, but the rest went really well. I think this is part of the beauty of the MMI format. I suppose if an applicant said something very inappropriate, or something that caused a red flag, that would be different, and it would likely affect their application. However, if it is just a matter of not providing the absolute best answer to the prompt or not clicking with the interviewer, then your performance in the other stations would balance the day. Does that help? Good luck to you!

Anyone else tired of the "under active consideration" purgatory? 'cause it doesnt seem so active

Reactions: 8 users
Anyone else tired of the "under active consideration" purgatory? 'cause it doesnt seem so active
I'm in the same position- did you call/email them for a status update? I sent them an LOI but haven't heard anything since the initial "under active consideration" email and I'm considering doing just that.

I'm in the same position- did you call/email them for a status update? I sent them an LOI but haven't heard anything since the initial "under active consideration" email and I'm considering doing just that.
They aren't going to say anything useful. I wouldn't bother calling. I did months ago and they said no decision means nothing has been decided yet

I hope they send out some decisions today!! :)