2018-2019 University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNECOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am...wondering if we’d hear back soon...

If you don’t mind answering, were you part of the morning or afternoon session?
That interview day was a lot bigger than we normally do so I imagine they are going through them in waves. We are also on spring break right now but I don't know if that will affect anything.

Members don't see this ad.

I am...wondering if we’d hear back soon...

If you don’t mind answering, were you part of the morning or afternoon session?
I was in the AM session! Lovely experience here; what an impressive school

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have already paid my two deposits for UNE and am thankful for the acceptance. However, I am still waiting for decisions at a few MD schools. Unfortunately, UNE starts really early compared to the MD schools. Does anyone have experience or advice about waiting out decisions without missing out on housing, etc at UNE? I don't want to withdraw from these other schools yet, but can't sit around much longer waiting for them.

In the same exact dilemma. I’m already letting my prospective roommates know that I might leave any time from now until July. Sucks but we gotta do what we gotta do!

Reactions: 3 users
In the same exact dilemma. I’m already letting my prospective roommates know that I might leave any time from now until July. Sucks but we gotta do what we gotta do!
That’s the truth! And if I have so-so housing...well...it’s part of the experience and is temporary. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Waiting for UNE to post their official match list +pity+

Withdrawing my acceptance here in exchange for an offer closer to home.

For future lurkers...
First time applicant, LM >70, OOS
  • App complete: July 2018
  • Interview invite: Aug 2018
  • Interview: Sept 2018, PM session
  • Accepted: Oct 2018
I hope my spot goes to one of you- best of luck to everyone else in the running!

Withdrawing my acceptance here in exchange for an offer closer to home.

For future lurkers...
First time applicant, LM >70, OOS
  • App complete: July 2018
  • Interview invite: Aug 2018
  • Interview: Sept 2018, PM session
  • Accepted: Oct 2018
I hope my spot goes to one of you- best of luck to everyone else in the running!
Good luck!

Hi all,
Has anyone received any financial aid information yet?

Does anyone have a list of housing options they can send me? I know they inform accepted applicants of housing options but as someone on the waitlist who really wants to attend here I would like to prepare in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,
Has anyone received any financial aid information yet?

I reached out a couple weeks ago and they said they were going to start financial aid in April. There was also a form that needed to be completed under the student finances tab of uonline that I previously didn’t know about.

I never realized how painfully long one month can be until this year.

I wish we knew what tier of the waitlist we fall on :(

I’m afraid to put down deposits for housing at my current acceptance lol

I got accepted to a masters program I applied to as backup since this was my only interview. I wish I knew too

I wish they gave us an idea of where on the waitlist we are currently at :/

I’d be happy with “you’re not at the bottom”.

So, is this "new-age curriculum" that @UNECOM2017 speaks of a combination of lecture and PBL? I am a bit confused. The impression I get from D.O. students is that UNE COM is trying to eventually transition completely to PBL. I am not sure how I feel about this; could someone clarify?
That was the goal when I was there, but they clawed it back to a more traditional lecture with mandatory attendance plus CBL format

Current Students: we just got the schedule for OMK and I was wondering if you know what the concentration of each block is? (limbs/head&neck/etc). I was also wondering what the directed study week is.

Current Students: we just got the schedule for OMK and I was wondering if you know what the concentration of each block is? (limbs/head&neck/etc). I was also wondering what the directed study week is.

If it’s following the same schedule as this year, it’s Upper extremity, lower extremity, thorax, GI/GU and Head and Neck.

I have never heard of the directed study week.

I just took a look at the OMKIA schedule. Can a current student clarify what exactly is "medical school assimilation week" that takes place from July1-5.
Also, in terms of rotations site, do the students have a say where they rotate?
In terms of books, on the financial aid award, it allocates 2k towards books. I remember during my interview, some students said that most of the books are on a drive that second years pass on to the first years. Is this true?

Accepted student here, couldn't make it to osteoblast. Did anyone hear anything or receive any information about requirements and purchasing laptops/tablets. Also, any information about if we need to purchase our stethoscopes? I think I remember seeing it needed to be a Littman Cardiology IV.

Has anyone who has been waitlisted heard back?? Also I know UNE does not inform where on the waitlist an applicant is, but has anyone ever tried to asked?

Last edited:
I just took a look at the OMKIA schedule. Can a current student clarify what exactly is "medical school assimilation week" that takes place from July1-5.
Also, in terms of rotations site, do the students have a say where they rotate?
In terms of books, on the financial aid award, it allocates 2k towards books. I remember during my interview, some students said that most of the books are on a drive that second years pass on to the first years. Is this true?

Current OMS-1 here. I have not heard of medical school assimilation week either. Might just be more of an informational week to get you going in medical school instead of just throwing you into the sciences.

For rotations, similar to what the other person said, you rank the sites that you want to go to and there is a committee who tries to get everyone within their top 2-3 sites.

All of the books for OMK are going to be provided online. As for the OCS/anatomy portion there are some books that might help with studying. Last year, there were a ton of second year students who sold their books to first years for a much reduced price so that is an option. I would wait to buy books until you see what you are going to need. Just my two cents. The drive probably has the books too. Has just about everything you could ever want.

Accepted student here, couldn't make it to osteoblast. Did anyone hear anything or receive any information about requirements and purchasing laptops/tablets. Also, any information about if we need to purchase our stethoscopes? I think I remember seeing it needed to be a Littman Cardiology IV.

Pretty much any modern laptop is going to work for classes. During the first week, there is a check to make sure you are meeting the minimum requirements of the school, but most laptops will work just fine.

Stethoscopes are whatever you feel like buying. Some students have crazy expensive ones, and others have very cheap ones. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just buy whatever one you want. There is no sort of checking by faculty for the "level" of the stethoscope.

If it’s following the same schedule as this year, it’s Upper extremity, lower extremity, thorax, GI/GU and Head and Neck.

I have never heard of the directed study week.

From my understanding, it is time where nothing mandatory is scheduled. It may be time to catch up on material, study for boards for second years, or time for students who didn't pass exams to complete their competency assurance process.

Just curious what others are doing with regard to financial aid. I’m waitlisted at one MD school and currently accepted to UNE. Is there a deadline by which I have to accept UNE’s financial aid offer? How does transferring loans work if I were then to be accepted at the school at which I am currently waitlisted and decide to attend there? Getting anxious in that I don’t want to screw myself over with UNE if I don’t get off the waitlist. Any insight or websites that others have found useful would be greatly appreciated! Thanks friends!

Just curious what others are doing with regard to financial aid. I’m waitlisted at one MD school and currently accepted to UNE. Is there a deadline by which I have to accept UNE’s financial aid offer? How does transferring loans work if I were then to be accepted at the school at which I am currently waitlisted and decide to attend there? Getting anxious in that I don’t want to screw myself over with UNE if I don’t get off the waitlist. Any insight or websites that others have found useful would be greatly appreciated! Thanks friends!

+1

Anyone heard of any waitlist movement recently?
Looking back at previous years it doesn't pick up until mid May to June, plus this years rules are different as far as holding multiple acceptances so no one is quite sure how that's affecting WL movement yet

That being said I'm getting anxious

Is anyone planning on living in Portland and commuting to Biddeford for class? It looks as though it’s probably about a 30-40 minute commute and I much prefer a city lifestyle, but I also don’t want to make a huge mistake if it’s going to be a nightmare every day.

Is anyone planning on living in Portland and commuting to Biddeford for class? It looks as though it’s probably about a 30-40 minute commute and I much prefer a city lifestyle, but I also don’t want to make a huge mistake if it’s going to be a nightmare every day.
$5 toll between portland and biddeford, i imagine that will add up quickly.

Withdrawing my acceptance tomorrow. Goodluck to you guys!

Hey I lived in Portland all first year and didn’t mind the drive at all. I’m also going to be staying where I’m at for second year as well if that says anything. Getting an EZ pass is key if you’re going to be taking the 95 because it reduces the toll cost. It ranges from $25-35 a month depending on how much you’re driving.

Any girls looking for a place, please PM me. I have an opening in a newly renovated three bedroom thats right by the campus. I’m looking for someone to take over the lease I signed, as I will no longer be attending UNE.

Does anyone know if they rank the waitlist in tiers or each individual with a number?

Can a current student please update us about WL movement? Has it started or is Admissions delaying WL decisions due to the new traffic guidelines? Thanks!

Can a current student please update us about WL movement? Has it started or is Admissions delaying WL decisions due to the new traffic guidelines? Thanks!
Given that MD programs have barely started significant movement due to the new traffic guidelines, I would think that there are a number of students currently committed to UNE who are waiting to see if they are accepted to an MD program. Unfortunately, with the new guidelines, most of the dates are set for July 15th or so which is after UNE will have started classes...

Given that MD programs have barely started significant movement due to the new traffic guidelines, I would think that there are a number of students currently committed to UNE who are waiting to see if they are accepted to an MD program. Unfortunately, with the new guidelines, most of the dates are set for July 15th or so which is after UNE will have started classes...
So are they going to have a bunch of people dropping out two weeks in?

So are they going to have a bunch of people dropping out two weeks in?
Probably more of an individual based decision as people will have signed leases for the year and have to figure out changing their loans etc. This process is a mess