2018-2019 University of South Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the Tampa second look day, does anyone know if USF provides any sort of accommodations? I saw on the second look information page that it says "accommodations: will be updated shortly" but it has said that since they first sent out information about it a month or so ago. It's coming up soon and I don't want to end up paying a ton of money for a hotel if they don't post anything until a couple weeks before

Members don't see this ad.

For the Tampa second look day, does anyone know if USF provides any sort of accommodations? I saw on the second look information page that it says "accommodations: will be updated shortly" but it has said that since they first sent out information about it a month or so ago. It's coming up soon and I don't want to end up paying a ton of money for a hotel if they don't post anything until a couple weeks before

I was wondering the same thing. I'm assuming that we will have to pay for a hotel since people going to Allentown have to pay for their own hotel. I think a good idea would be to just pay for the hotel and make sure you can cancel the reservation if you need to.

Reactions: 1 users
I was wondering the same thing. I'm assuming that we will have to pay for a hotel since people going to Allentown have to pay for their own hotel. I think a good idea would be to just pay for the hotel and make sure you can cancel the reservation if you need to.
Any recommendations for where to stay?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do any of y'all know how many people got off the WL last year and if there are any current students who have gotten off the WL, is there any advice you could give?

Do any of y'all know how many people got off the WL last year and if there are any current students who have gotten off the WL, is there any advice you could give?
if you look on previous year threads you could probably get a very biased idea of how much movement there is. No one on this thread is going to know how much movement occurs through the waitlist because none of us work for admissions and each year is different.

Reactions: 1 user
Can anyone speak to how causal the student dinner the night before the interview is? Just making sure I’m not underdressed lol

Can anyone speak to how causal the student dinner the night before the interview is? Just making sure I’m not underdressed lol
Lol my dinner was at Jason's deli and I think the following week's interview was at Jersey Mike's. You can be casual.

What date is the second look? I just interviewed here, but I possibly may not know my status by the time second look comes around since it takes 4-6 weeks to hear back.

Does anyone know if they've completed sending out interviews for this cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who have been accepted and set up your USF ID and Oasis account, do you see any financial aid forms to fill out? The email indicated there would be, but all I see under Financial Aid "My Requirements" is something showing I completed the FAFSA and I'm a bit neurotic and wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one not seeing anything else there yet.

For those of you who have been accepted and set up your USF ID and Oasis account, do you see any financial aid forms to fill out? The email indicated there would be, but all I see under Financial Aid "My Requirements" is something showing I completed the FAFSA and I'm a bit neurotic and wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one not seeing anything else there yet.
Yup same thing here

Every time I try to log in to the oasis site, I get a message saying "this connection is not private" and it makes me close out of the page. I haven't been able to access it at all. Anyone else have this problem?

EDIT: I bypassed the warning and got to the site. Now when I try to login, it starts loading and then tells me "sorry, something went wrong. an error has occurred on the server." Why can't I get in??

Last edited:
Also not able to make a usf account. I put my uid and make my account type student then hit submit and the page times out. Anyone else in this predicament?

Every time I try to log in to the oasis site, I get a message saying "this connection is not private" and it makes me close out of the page. I haven't been able to access it at all. Anyone else have this problem?

EDIT: I bypassed the warning and got to the site. Now when I try to login, it starts loading and then tells me "sorry, something went wrong. an error has occurred on the server." Why can't I get in??
Maybe try going to my.usf.edu and clicking on oasis through there instead of oasis.usf.edu

When is the last interview date, if there are any still?

Also not able to make a usf account. I put my uid and make my account type student then hit submit and the page times out. Anyone else in this predicament?
I had this issue too, I just had to keep trying and it eventually worked.

When is the last interview date, if there are any still?

According to the website, IIs are sent through March and the last interview is in April. So it should be an April date.

To anyone who was also a usf undergrad, I emailed admissions since my oasis is still showing undergrad information and apparently they are having issues converting us to MD students, but they have IT involved and it should be fixed soon.

Reactions: 3 users

The accommodations tab was updated with this pdf of recommended hotels / transportation

Attachments

• Tampa Local Hotel Airport Transportation List 2019.pdf
    641.3 KB · Views: 94
View attachment 252834
I’m going to USF’s second look day. It says business casual for the dress. I was wondering if this outfit is appropriate to wear for the second day when it’s just campus tours and talking to medical students?

To me, that looks you are are going to a bar at the beach—not appropriate for a medical-school visit, and certainly not “business casual.”

Reactions: 2 users
I just received an interview invitation, which surprised me because my stats are safely below their average. Does USF just interview everyone who applies? Given that it's so late in the cycle is there really any shot of actually being accepted or is it just an interview to get on the waitlist? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth a $300 plane ticket and a few days in exotic Allentown Pennsylvania... The thousands of dollars I've spent so far to be rejected have left me disillusioned. Thanks! :)

These laptop specifications sound so wild...if I have to buy a new laptop Ill be so sad lmao (I just got mine in jan 2018-it's a 13.3inch macbook pro with touchbar)

These laptop specifications sound so wild...if I have to buy a new laptop Ill be so sad lmao (I just got mine in jan 2018-it's a 13.3inch macbook pro with touchbar)

I haven't seen USF's specifications, but I just bought almost the exact same laptop and it fulfills the computer requirements for two other schools that I've seen. Yours will be fine, especially if it's a mac.

I just received an interview invitation, which surprised me because my stats are safely below their average. Does USF just interview everyone who applies? Given that it's so late in the cycle is there really any shot of actually being accepted or is it just an interview to get on the waitlist? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth a $300 plane ticket and a few days in exotic Allentown Pennsylvania... The thousands of dollars I've spent so far to be rejected have left me disillusioned. Thanks! :)

Congrats on an interview! They definitely don’t graciously give out invites. Would you mind PMing me your stats? Mine are also well below the average (and I’m USF UG) so I’m very curious.

I haven't seen USF's specifications, but I just bought almost the exact same laptop and it fulfills the computer requirements for two other schools that I've seen. Yours will be fine, especially if it's a mac.
Yeah I’m hoping..I’m emailing them. They’re wanting a minimum 15inch that’s been bought no more than a year prior to matriculation (for the exams I’m presuming). Aside from that my resolution and everything else meets or exceeds it

Yeah I’m hoping..I’m emailing them. They’re wanting a minimum 15inch that’s been bought no more than a year prior to matriculation (for the exams I’m presuming). Aside from that my resolution and everything else meets or exceeds it
I can't see this as being a problem. I believe that these are more "recommendations" than anything. Like how stuff that "only works on internet explorer" works perfectly fine on chrome.

Does anyone have any tips/insights for the SELECT interview? I have one coming up and this is one of my top choice programs. Any tips/insights from current/accepted students would be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone have any tips/insights for the SELECT interview? I have one coming up and this is one of my top choice programs. Any tips/insights from current/accepted students would be greatly appreciated.
I know this is a stereotypical answer, but honestly just be yourself! The interview day is really informative and the students and staff are really all about telling you why the program is great. Just be honest and you'll do great!

I know this is a stereotypical answer, but honestly just be yourself! The interview day is really informative and the students and staff are really all about telling you why the program is great. Just be honest and you'll do great!
In terms of the interview itself, I saw it was closed-file. Did they have access to anything at all (e.g. Personal Statement) or was it absolutely nothing? Also, other than the stereotypical questions, do you think there should be any unique things to prepare for?

In terms of the interview itself, I saw it was closed-file. Did they have access to anything at all (e.g. Personal Statement) or was it absolutely nothing? Also, other than the stereotypical questions, do you think there should be any unique things to prepare for?
As far as I know, they hadn't read any of my information prior to the interview. I don't think there's really much to prepare for other than knowing yourself and your experiences. It's very casual and they truly are just trying to get to know who you are!

As far as I know, they hadn't read any of my information prior to the interview. I don't think there's really much to prepare for other than knowing yourself and your experiences. It's very casual and they truly are just trying to get to know who you are!

Appreciate it. Just super nervous interviewing this late in the cycle considering my stats are also low for this school. Hoping for the best though!

My interviewer showed me the sheet of what they had access to. They have your basic demographics like name, age, major, and undergraduate institution, but they did not have metrics like MCAT or GPA. They also had my personal statement, but not my activities.

Congrats on an interview! They definitely don’t graciously give out invites. Would you mind PMing me your stats? Mine are also well below the average (and I’m USF UG) so I’m very curious.

Thanks! That makes me feel somewhat better! Stats: 518 MCAT, 3.3 GPA

Has anyone found the Morsani College of Medicine Student Financial Aid Application on OASIS yet? The email they sent out directed us to that site, it confirms that my FAFSA has been received, but I cannot find the application itself.

Can anyone confirm that pre-clinical years are not pass/no pass? Thanks!

Can anyone confirm that pre-clinical years are not pass/no pass? Thanks!
It's actually Honors/High-Pass/Pass/Fail, if I remember correctly.

That website they gave doesn't work. Try going through my.usf.edu.

Thanks. I can get to that point, but when I open the my resources tab after logging in and click oasis I get the error message

Any reply? Is it mandatory or recommended?