2018-2019 University of Texas Long School of Medicine at San Antonio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nope. How did you receive it? And did you fill out their scholarship application? Also, does anyone know if there’s a Facebook group up yet? It very well could’ve already been mentioned on the thread but I just didn’t catch it.
Yeah it's been up for a few days. Just search on Facebook for "Long SOM Class of 2023"

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Apparently because we’re off campus we need to use their VPN and Duo 2 factor authentication to log on. I read on their instruction page that we need to recieve an email to access our Duo account
I’ve been able to set up my account and email

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't apply for it

What I meant was whether the email was just an invitation to apply for a scholarship (e.g. "here's a link to apply for a $1000 scholarship") or whether the email was a straight up scholarship award (e.g. "here's $1000 towards your tuition, enjoy")

What I meant was whether the email was just an invitation to apply for a scholarship (e.g. "here's a link to apply for a $1000 scholarship") or whether the email was a straight up scholarship award (e.g. "here's $1000 towards your tuition, enjoy")
It was just a straight up award

lol chill guys its probably a merit award for minorities

Have those of you on the waitlist been sending letters of intent? I’m not sure if I need to send them one or not or if they actually make a difference

You ever heard the "pancake a day" analogy* for the workload in med school? A dual degree is the same thing, but with blueberry toppings added. Theoretically it's a few more calories you have to eat, but it's at least something different and not near as bad as the pancakes themselves.

There were certainly a few times I had to say no to a night out to work on MPH stuff, but I still feel like I have plenty of free time.

Pretty easy to get involved in public health research- it's just that many more faculty you have access to vs a MD-only student. Many students will turn their MPH practicum into a research project as well.

*The Pancake Analogy
Can I ask why you decided you wanted an MPH as well? Does it help make you competitive in residency and the future job market? What specialties are more geared towards an MPH degree? Also should someone pursue the degree if they are not that interested in research? Do you feel that someone could still have a career in public policy without an MPH?

p.s. sorry for s**t load of questions :happy:

Reactions: 3 users
Can I ask why you decided you wanted an MPH as well? Does it help make you competitive in residency and the future job market? What specialties are more geared towards an MPH degree? Also should someone pursue the degree if they are not that interested in research? Do you feel that someone could still have a career in public policy without an MPH?

p.s. sorry for s**t load of questions :happy:

The short answer is I wanted to understand health issues from a population perspective and gain practical skills in interpreting public health research, which guides a lot of clinical practice.

I imagine that if there were two identical applicants, and one had an MPH, they would be slightly more competitive, but I don't think it's a huge benefit in applying to residency the way a PhD is. I think it depends on what you do with your MPH in medical school and what you plan to do with it in residency.

There's a public health component to every specialty, but I think it lends itself well toward FM, IM, EM, etc. There are tons of public health-trained surgeons though!

I'm not that interested in performing research, but I think you have to have at least some interest in reading it and interpreting it, if that makes sense.

You could absolutely have a career in public policy without an MPH, although I think an MPH would be an excellent thing to have if you know that's what you want to do!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Have those of you on the waitlist been sending letters of intent? I’m not sure if I need to send them one or not or if they actually make a difference

I know people that have sent one. I'm gonna send one as well. Whether or not they help that much is debatable, but it couldn't hurt

Just got accepted off the waitlist! OOS

Reactions: 15 users
Hey guys, what have y’all done after changing yalls password for the email and account? Have y’all submitted any information like Immunization or TB tests??

Just got accepted off the waitlist! OOS
What are your stats, if you don’t mind? I’m wondering what the stats are, as I have a few OOS friends who are applying this coming cycle. Side note: nice avatar, glad to see a fellow enthusiast get accepted!

Hey guys, what have y’all done after changing yalls password for the email and account? Have y’all submitted any information like Immunization or TB tests??
I haven’t received anything beyond that first email about accepting the offer.. Should I have gotten additional communication by now?

What are your stats, if you don’t mind? I’m wondering what the stats are, as I have a few OOS friends who are applying this coming cycle. Side note: nice avatar, glad to see a fellow enthusiast get accepted!
My LizzyM is 73

I haven’t received anything beyond that first email about accepting the offer.. Should I have gotten additional communication by now?
Yeah I believe you should’ve gotten an email with your username, email and UT health badge ID. And how to set up those accounts by logging in and changing your password!

When did everyone receive their student email/id number? Also are you able to login to my student center?

I think it was about three weeks after acceptance. You’ll be able to log into the student center after that.

I already sent in my Immun record. I suggest y'all get started on this early too. You have to have a Hep titer (which i had never had done) and if you don't have the antibodies present then you will have to go through the Hep vaccine rounds again which can take up to two months.

I also have completed the online modules (both through the knowledge center and through the My Student Portal) - both of which you can access through your livemail

Weird. I haven’t gotten my student email yet. When I called admissions, they just told me to keep waiting.

Has the "Newly Accepted Students" tab been available for everyone?

What's the cheapest and easiest way to get the immunization record done?
probably your county health department. You can get records there and vaccinated. Most health insurances will cover most vaccinations since they are considered preventative care.

Is the scholarship application open yet? My student center says "there is nothing to do at this time"

Is the scholarship application open yet? My student center says "there is nothing to do at this time"
Yeah, it’s open! Go to the financial aid tab and then over on the side there should be a scholarship application page. I don’t have it pulled up right now but if I remember correctly that’s how you get to it.

Yeah, it’s open! Go to the financial aid tab and then over on the side there should be a scholarship application page. I don’t have it pulled up right now but if I remember correctly that’s how you get to it.

also if they do not have your fafsa then you will not be able to access the scholarship app either. Mine said there was nothing to do until they received my fafsa, then it showed up.

probably your county health department. You can get records there and vaccinated. Most health insurances will cover most vaccinations since they are considered preventative care.
What's the cheapest and easiest way to get the immunization record done?

What i have been doing is going to a Rediclinic in HEB and getting the PA or NP there to fill it out. (i was already there since i had to get a TB skin test). As long as you bring them your medical records of receiving the vaccines, they will fill it out and sign off on it

Also...
PSA regarding the Hep B vaccines and titer - (I am assuming many of you will be in the same situation as me since it seems like the vaccine only lasts about 20 years i.e. around now for most of us).

If you get a titer and it comes back negative (meaning you are not immune) - you can still submit the documentation of negative result and they will remove your hold. You still have to get the vaccine again, but you do not have to finish the series before orientation (this is what UTHSCSA told me when i called them)
Once you have finished the dosage series again then after one month you will need to get a titer again, and at that time will need to report it to UTHSCSA.

Also - sorry for spamming this feed.

Reactions: 3 users
Also...
PSA regarding the Hep B vaccines and titer - (I am assuming many of you will be in the same situation as me since it seems like the vaccine only lasts about 20 years i.e. around now for most of us).

If you get a titer and it comes back negative (meaning you are not immune) - you can still submit the documentation of negative result and they will remove your hold. You still have to get the vaccine again, but you do not have to finish the series before orientation (this is what UTHSCSA told me when i called them)
Once you have finished the dosage series again then after one month you will need to get a titer again, and at that time will need to report it to UTHSCSA.

Also - sorry for spamming this feed.

Good info about the hold on your account regarding vaccination status but as for your PSA, I'm pretty sure you mis-read the site https://epi.publichealth.nc.gov/cd/lhds/manuals/hepB/docs/hbv_vaccination.pdf where it says Heb B vaccine lasts AT LEAST 20 years for healthy individuals. According to the CDC, the Heb B vaccine should last at least 30 years: https://epi.publichealth.nc.gov/cd/lhds/manuals/hepB/docs/hbv_vaccination.pdf. So in general, it does not seem as though the Hep B vaccine is a vaccine that you need to update every 20 years. Of course, ask your own physician about it.

Good info about the hold on your account regarding vaccination status but regarding your PSA, I'm pretty sure you mis-read the site https://epi.publichealth.nc.gov/cd/lhds/manuals/hepB/docs/hbv_vaccination.pdf where it says Heb B vaccine lasts AT LEAST 20 years for healthy individuals. According to the CDC, the Heb B vaccine should last at least 30 years: https://epi.publichealth.nc.gov/cd/lhds/manuals/hepB/docs/hbv_vaccination.pdf. So in general, it seems the Hep B vaccine is not a vaccine that you need to update every 20 years. Of course, ask your own physician about it.
Well that’s why titers are drawn to prove whether your body has maintained effective immunity to Hep B. It’s not uncommon to need to repeat the series due to low titers.

Does anybody know how to complete the background check?
Emailed them about this a couple days ago. Here’s what they said:

Our office is responsible for clearing your background check, but the link will not be active until April 1st. On April 1st, you will be able to view the link and submit your payment for the background check. Our office will typically receive the results of the background check within 48-72 hours and will then remove the hold from your student account. Please refer to the checklist below for updates on April 1stand please be in touch if you have any questions. Thank you!

https://oume.uthscsa.edu/admissions/newly-accepted-students/

Is there a hard fafsa deadline. I’m having issues getting parents info. Or do I even need parents info?

Last edited:
Hoping there's a good amount of WL movement in April!

Reactions: 6 users
Hey all, just wanted to let everyone know that if you do NOT plan on using the UT student healthcare plan then you will have to apply for a waiver through the mystudentcenter portal. If you do not submit a waiver, or if your waiver is denied, then you will automatically be enrolled in UT SHIP (Student Health Insurance Plan) which is provided through bluecross blueshield and will be added to your total tuition costs. It honestly sounds more intimidating than it is, all you need to do is follow through the links in the "Declare Health Insurance" tab on the mystudentcenter portal and follow the directions. That being said, I'm glad I caught it early because I would not have liked getting an extra $2500 added onto my yearly bill. I think this only applies to students that are planning on staying under their parent's health insurance plan while in school. I'm not sure how applicable this is to any of you, but I hope this little PSA helps!

Hey all, just wanted to let everyone know that if you do NOT plan on using the UT student healthcare plan then you will have to apply for a waiver through the mystudentcenter portal. If you do not submit a waiver, or if your waiver is denied, then you will automatically be enrolled in UT SHIP (Student Health Insurance Plan) which is provided through bluecross blueshield and will be added to your total tuition costs. It honestly sounds more intimidating than it is, all you need to do is follow through the links in the "Declare Health Insurance" tab on the mystudentcenter portal and follow the directions. That being said, I'm glad I caught it early because I would not have liked getting an extra $2500 added onto my yearly bill. I think this only applies to students that are planning on staying under their parent's health insurance plan while in school. I'm not sure how applicable this is to any of you, but I hope this little PSA helps!

Totally helped me. I’m trying to fill out the waiver now, but it’s asking for a 9 digit student ID. The only student ID number I’ve been given or can find is 7 digits and it didn’t work. Does anyone know where to find the 9 digit ID we need to fill out the waiver?

Totally helped me. I’m trying to fill out the waiver now, but it’s asking for a 9 digit student ID. The only student ID number I’ve been given or can find is 7 digits and it didn’t work. Does anyone know where to find the 9 digit ID we need to fill out the waiver?
The UTHSCSA email I received today tells me that your default username ID should be the last 9 digits of your student ID. Your password will be your birthday in the form of MMDDYYY. I noticed the site offers reset links in case you have trouble entering either.