2018-2019 University of Texas Long School of Medicine at San Antonio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if the waitlist email also applies for OOS applicants? I’m a little confused since it specifically references the match
I also am OOS and got the waitlist email... but not sure if it was a blanket email sent to everybody and not an admissions decision for us?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I also am OOS and got the waitlist email... but not sure if it was a blanket email sent to everybody and not an admissions decision for us?
I'm interpreting it as an admissions decision lol but that's just my 2 cents

Members don't see this ad :)
Will they tell us our position on the waitlist?
I don't think the Texas schools publish wait list order like that (they don't say "you're #5 on our wait list").
The only one I have heard of that does this is UTRGV, which will tell an applicant "You are in a favorable position on the wait list".
It's really hard to wait so much longer when you have already waited from summer to February for a decision, but WL action can happen any time from now until the start of orientation (July or August, most places).

Got the official acceptance email!

Reactions: 2 users
Friday I received an email for Kellaway saying welcome and that more info will be released.

Today I got the email from Long telling me to log on the portal to accept the offer.

I also received an email today to reserve my spot. I received it at 1:03 pm today.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did not receive the email today. Will probably get it in the next few days

Yeah I got the offer email today too!!! Its OFFICIAL!

Reactions: 1 users
I requested to join the FB group on that new students page, but still nothing as of right now.

Did anyone that send a LOI receive an email from admission people?

Does anyone expect any progress on the FB group this week?

I’ve been wondering how soon we can start figuring out our roommate situations.

This just opened the group a few hours ago.

If anyone has a good set up for a nice house or apartment, let us know;) lol

Yea if any current or former students could throw out some housing advice it would be appreciated lol

Just checking, the only thing we need to have done so far is to log in to the portal and click "accept", correct?

Does Long accept update letters or just grades through TMDSAS?

Just checking, the only thing we need to have done so far is to log in to the portal and click "accept", correct?
I believe that is all so far. I think we're all still waiting for the registrar to send out our student email and login credentials. I guess other things to make sure are completed are your FAFSA and if you've joined the FB group already. I wish there was more available for us to work on lol.

I believe that is all so far. I think we're all still waiting for the registrar to send out our student email and login credentials. I guess other things to make sure are completed are your FAFSA and if you've joined the FB group already. I wish there was more available for us to work on lol.

Oh I’m sure we’ll have enough to work on a few months from now ;)

I've started working on my titers and my TB tests, so everything is ready to go when the registrar sends us our info. If you don't have your Hep B that can take a while (the longer series takes 6 months).

Best ISP in the area?
Pick your poison. I believe you’ll likely have to choose between Spectrum (formerly Time Warner Cable) and AT&T U-Verse. Supposedly Spectrum doesn’t have long term contracts, though I don’t know how that actually works in practice. I have AT&T U-Verse at home (I’m from San Antonio originally) and it has been pretty spotty at times. Honestly, you’ll probably get roughly the same service from the 2 companies.

Got the official letter in the mail today!

Reactions: 5 users
Just saw the email for the md/mph program. Seriously considering it. @Eurycea do you have any input on the program

Just saw the email for the md/mph program. Seriously considering it. @Eurycea do you have any input on the program
It can be done in four years without having to take any time off, which is a huge plus- not that many four year combined programs out there. You still have the option to do a 5 year program if you'd like.
It's through the UT school of public health which has campuses in Houston, Austin, San Antonio, Brownsville, Dallas, etc. Many classes can be taken online, lots of them are done on campus with videoconferencing to the other campuses. All of the "core" classes can be taken online, which is great if you want to get them out of the way the summer before MS1 year but have plans to work/travel.
Lots of opportunities for global health work, the faculty are amazing and very supportive, your MD/MPH classmates are some of the most inspiring people you'll meet in medical school.
It's been a worthwhile component to my medical education so far- I feel much better prepared to understand the health issues of populations.

Do you have any specific questions?

P.S. I think there's going to be a webinar about the MD/MPH program next wednesday at noon, there's some info about it on Long's facebook page

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
It can be done in four years without having to take any time off, which is a huge plus- not that many four year combined programs out there. You still have the option to do a 5 year program if you'd like.
It's through the UT school of public health which has campuses in Houston, Austin, San Antonio, Brownsville, Dallas, etc. Many classes can be taken online, lots of them are done on campus with videoconferencing to the other campuses. All of the "core" classes can be taken online, which is great if you want to get them out of the way the summer before MS1 year but have plans to work/travel.
Lots of opportunities for global health work, the faculty are amazing and very supportive, your MD/MPH classmates are some of the most inspiring people you'll meet in medical school.
It's been a worthwhile component to my medical education so far- I feel much better prepared to understand the health issues of populations.

Do you have any specific questions?

P.S. I think there's going to be a webinar about the MD/MPH program next week at noon, there's some info about it on Long's facebook page
I suppose my main worry is if you ever felt that the workload for both degrees ever felt like it was too much for you (I’d be doing 4 years if I did the program) and additionally The ease of access to research opportunities in the field

I suppose my main worry is if you ever felt that the workload for both degrees ever felt like it was too much for you (I’d be doing 4 years if I did the program) and additionally The ease of access to research opportunities in the field
You ever heard the "pancake a day" analogy* for the workload in med school? A dual degree is the same thing, but with blueberry toppings added. Theoretically it's a few more calories you have to eat, but it's at least something different and not near as bad as the pancakes themselves.

There were certainly a few times I had to say no to a night out to work on MPH stuff, but I still feel like I have plenty of free time.

Pretty easy to get involved in public health research- it's just that many more faculty you have access to vs a MD-only student. Many students will turn their MPH practicum into a research project as well.

*The Pancake Analogy

Reactions: 4 users
Have you guys been able to actually log into the student portal? I can get into my email, but not the student portal yet...

Have you guys been able to actually log into the student portal? I can get into my email, but not the student portal yet...
Apparently because we’re off campus we need to use their VPN and Duo 2 factor authentication to log on. I read on their instruction page that we need to recieve an email to access our Duo account

Last edited:
Did anyone else get a scholarship offer today?

Did anyone else get a scholarship offer today?
Nope. How did you receive it? And did you fill out their scholarship application? Also, does anyone know if there’s a Facebook group up yet? It very well could’ve already been mentioned on the thread but I just didn’t catch it.

Nope. How did you receive it? And did you fill out their scholarship application? Also, does anyone know if there’s a Facebook group up yet? It very well could’ve already been mentioned on the thread but I just didn’t catch it.
I haven’t filled anything out they just emailed me