2018-2019 University of Texas Long School of Medicine at San Antonio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you. Is this where we can the scholarship application?
You have to login in to my student center and have a FAFSA on file in order to fill out the scholarship app. They load FAFAs every Saturday.

Dang just got an email inviting me to join them for a reapp webinar. On the waitlist so I don’t think this is a good sign.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Dang just got an email inviting me to join them for a reapp webinar. On the waitlist so I don’t think this is a good sign.....

I too am on the waitlist but did not receive an email for this reapp webinar you speak of.

Its something you sign up for. They sent a link to sign up if you asked them for feedback on your application.

Reactions: 1 users
You have to login in to my student center and have a FAFSA on file in order to fill out the scholarship app. They load FAFAs every Saturday.
Thanks. Do you know how to login into the student center? I don't see that option in my portal.

Hey y’all has anyone gotten a financial aid package? If so what was the timeline like after you did fafsa and authorized to communicate?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey y’all has anyone gotten a financial aid package? If so what was the timeline like after you did fafsa and authorized to communicate?

To follow up this question, does anyone know whether we are allowed to take out all available federal loans regardless of our income/assets? I've been anxiously waiting to hear on financial aid information :oops:

Have y'all completed the criminal background check yet? I did it on April 1st but the hold is still on my account.

Have y'all completed the criminal background check yet? I did it on April 1st but the hold is still on my account.
I did too on the 1st and the hold is still there. I don't think there is any rush so I won't contact them unless it gets to June and I still have the hold.

How do we complete the background check and on records? Do we send them directly to the school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard of any recent waitlist acceptances? Perhaps those of you in the FB group?

Does anyone know when they will release financial aid decisions?

Emailed them and they said mid to late April! So hopefully in the next few weeks.
Is this with or without having filled out the scholarship application?

Is this with or without having filled out the scholarship application?
No idea. I just barely had time to finish filling out the scholarship application a few days ago so I’m hoping it doesn’t take them long to decide who does and doesn’t get a scholarship. Although, the deadline for the scholarship app per the new student checklist is July 1st. So make of that what you will.

Just withdrew my acceptance from here. Hope one of y'all still waiting gets it!

Is anyone not going to welcome weekend + how important is it? Travel is the issue for me.

Have any waitlisted applicants heard back from the school recently? I sent an email about a month ago and haven’t heard back. I understand their busy, but I’m just wondering.

Have any waitlisted applicants heard back from the school recently? I sent an email about a month ago and haven’t heard back. I understand their busy, but I’m just wondering.
I sent a LOI a month ago and got a reply that it was recieved and would be added to my file. Other than that, nada. I’m guessing we will see major movement in the upcoming couple weeks.

I sent a LOI a month ago and got a reply that it was recieved and would be added to my file. Other than that, nada. I’m guessing we will see major movement in the upcoming couple weeks.

Do you remember how long it took them to reply? Mine dealt with an update

Just withdrew my OOS acceptance. Was hard as I loved the interview day and the Long family and Dr. K. Hope it goes to one of y'all. Visit six flags for me. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Just withdrew my OOS acceptance. Was hard as I loved the interview day and the Long family and Dr. K. Hope it goes to one of y'all. Visit six flags for me. Good luck everyone!

Catch you at McGovern? ;)

Thanks for informing us! Good luck at your new school

If I may ask, what caused you to choose McGovern over Long?

Yes of course! Mainly personal reasons including fam/friends in Houston, and the job market is better there for my bf. And being close to TMC/MD Anderson was important as oncology is my dream

Reactions: 3 users
Checking back here after some time. Looks like there's a little bit more of "who's going where" settling into place! There's still time for movement on the waitlist, I believe. Us MS2s are basically in a hole right now studying for STEP1. If y'all do happen to have questions, please just quote me on this post and I'll try to respond when I get some free time.

Welcome Weekend is for your benefit, it's not something that's required. Just a place for you to meet some of your future classmates/friends and figure out some things like your housing situations or what you might want to do about roommates. I honestly have heard nothing and have no idea what's going on.

Checking back here after some time. Looks like there's a little bit more of "who's going where" settling into place! There's still time for movement on the waitlist, I believe. Us MS2s are basically in a hole right now studying for STEP1. If y'all do happen to have questions, please just quote me on this post and I'll try to respond when I get some free time.

Welcome Weekend is for your benefit, it's not something that's required. Just a place for you to meet some of your future classmates/friends and figure out some things like your housing situations or what you might want to do about roommates. I honestly have heard nothing and have no idea what's going on.

Do you know a rough estimate of how many students in your class were waitlist acceptances?

Good luck on STEP1!

Do you know a rough estimate of how many students in your class were waitlist acceptances?

Good luck on STEP1!
Dang. I actually do not know this number. I'm sorry! I recommend you email Dr. K or something, but even then, I don't know how much it would help. I do think there is still plenty of time. A lot of movement seems to happen between now and early May. I was waitlisted at another school, and got off that WL in like early/mid-May but I had already committed to Long and that's where I wanted to go from the beginning basically.

What good apartment buildings would you suggest, that are pretty close to the school?

What good apartment buildings would you suggest, that are pretty close to the school?
There have been a few good suggestions on the Facebook group:)

Something to think of is this: some apartments might be cheaper, but there will be a tradeoff in terms of amenities. Some of the older places will have higher electric bills, for example. Among classmates, there are many who stay at Stone Oak, District, Chroma, but there are also many who stay in houses on Babcock. There's also San Antonio Station which is within walking distance and hugely popular among students (it's pretty safe, too). These are just a few off the top of my head.

My financial aid letter only included enough loans to cover in-state COA even though I am OOS and haven't heard back about the in-state tuition waiver. Can I assume based on my letter that I did receive the tuition waiver? Also, when do we hear back about scholarships? If nothing was posted in my letter, can I assume I didn't win anything? I just submitted my scholarship application about a week and a half ago.

My financial aid letter only included enough loans to cover in-state COA even though I am OOS and haven't heard back about the in-state tuition waiver. Can I assume based on my letter that I did receive the tuition waiver? Also, when do we hear back about scholarships? If nothing was posted in my letter, can I assume I didn't win anything? I just submitted my scholarship application about a week and a half ago.
Also wondering all of this. I was awarded less than their estimated total COA and am confused as to why that would be.

Dr. Kellaway told us at my interview day that all OOS students are granted in-state tuition.

For instaters, did anyone get their tuition covered via scholarship or is it mainly loans to cover COA?

For instaters, did anyone get their tuition covered via scholarship or is it mainly loans to cover COA?

I only got a grant and loans. I’m not sure if scholarship offers are out yet as the deadline to submit isn’t until july 1st. I’m sure a few exceptional students have heard back for full rides or partial rides. For the rest of us, I think we just have to wait. We’ll probably (hopefully) learn more during Welcome Weekend in a couple weeks.

I only got a grant and loans. I’m not sure if scholarship offers are out yet as the deadline to submit isn’t until july 1st. I’m sure a few exceptional students have heard back for full rides or partial rides. For the rest of us, I think we just have to wait. We’ll probably (hopefully) learn more during Welcome Weekend in a couple weeks.
So did your offer say a grant and loans?