2018-2019 University of Vermont

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone knows if they are processing applications without Casper results? Was not aware that they required it and my test date is late august....

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know. maybe. why?

Edit: Just changed to august 8th. Is that better?

I'm not sure if they require Casper first but they won't receive the score until the end of august if you take it on that date since it takes 3 weeks to process

Reactions: 1 user
Yes I took the CASPER this past sunday and I have a green check
I had this happen, talked to an admissions person, she said its a common issue and they may not actually have your score. Best bet is to check CASPer site to see if their records say scores have been sent.

What are yall writing for the "Additional comments" Is it okay to leave blank if I dont feel I have anything to contribute? or is it "optional" aka not really optional

What do you think the schools looking for? What are they big on- community service, clinical experience, non trads etc?

Yes, yes, and yes. I mean, they're looking for well-rounded applicants first and foremost, just like any other medical school. I think they are also open to non-trads who have had some sort of meaningful experience or who took time to turn things around, etc.Mostly, they just want to get to know you and what makes you tick.

For the speeding ticket question, approximately how much information do they want from the explanation? I don't know if they want basic information about where/when it was, or if they want to know like why you were speeding/how fast you were going/stuff like that.

Wow, it's been awhile since I had to think about this. Completely going from memory, I think I was vague about the situation (answering all of what they ask), while also expressing some regret or contrition. It's hard to remember, but I'm sure they're not testing you here.

Anyone else have a red checkmark for their LORs but then under 'document status' it shows that they've all been received by admissions with dates?

That’s weird. Is your Casper in yet? I’m pretty sure this school is one that sends complete emails

I didn't get a complete email, but I'm now marked as complete (Casper is in as well). My checkmark for LORS took some time to show up even though they were in the document status tab.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey team, I'm a UVM student and I'm happy to chime in from time to time and answer questions. I don't really respond to DMs that well, but I check in from time to time.

re: the secondary: don't overthink it, especially the question about speeding tickets. I had one or two on my record and I still managed to get in!
For a OOS from CA with below-average stats and no tie to Vermont, is it worth it to apply here?

For a OOS from CA with below-average stats and no tie to Vermont, is it worth it to apply here?
Yes, the majority of the class is OOS even though it's a public insitutions

Just wondering do you know the reasons for it? It's a good thing and I am just curious!

Population size is super small so that’s probably the biggest reason. Other reason I’ve heard is that they need the money due to decreases in state funding but I don’t know how accurate that is

are any non-trads applying here without a committee letter?

Reactions: 2 users
I took my Casper back in May - it still has a red x next to it. Anyone still have that issue? Should I contact them or wait?

Population size is super small so that’s probably the biggest reason. Other reason I’ve heard is that they need the money due to decreases in state funding but I don’t know how accurate that is

Your first reason is certainly true; Vermont has a small population, but the school has a pretty average class size. There are probably 120 seats and maybe 30 Vermont residents in the class. The rest have to come from somewhere, and as California has a huge population of medical students, they end up coming from there.

Your second reason sounds apocryphal. Again, Vermont has a small population, and thus the state provides relatively little for the University as a whole, but I think suggesting that the College needs to extract some sort of value from its students is off the mark. The primary reason, as far as I can tell, is just a numbers thing; small population and average class size.

Can you post the secondary

cc @gyngyn

all max 500 words:

Please reflect on a difficult and challenging non-academic experience you have faced. Include a description of the stressful event, how you dealt with it and what you have learned about others and yourself through this process.

The Larner College of Medicine at the University of Vermont strongly values diversity. Larner COM recognizes that diversity extends beyond chosen and unchosen identities, and encompasses the entirety of an individual’s experiences. These experiences embody many dimensions that include (but are not limited to) the personal, familial, geographic, intellectual, economic, professional, linguistic, and societal domains. Thus, each and every member of the Larner COM community brings a unique perspective to a shared goal of training compassionate and competent physicians. With this in mind, please reflect on your own diverse experiences and how those will allow you to successfully participate in teams and engage in active learning with your peers at the Larner COM. When composing your response please consider how these experiences impacted your understanding of others and yourself as well as any new insights gained.

Additional optional comments:

II received today! Earliest interview date was Aug 31st :)

Reactions: 5 users
II received today! LM Score 77, complete July 18th. Looking forward to having my first interview!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
II received this morning
OOS (CA resident)
STATS: 3.8/519
Complete 7/14

Will it be a bad idea to fill in almost 500 words for both prompts? Idk if that'll annoy the adcoms lol

First II today! OOS, LM 69. Complete 7/10

Reactions: 3 users
II! Submitted secondary 7/9. Stoked for my first interview :)

Reactions: 3 users
II ! OOS LM 75 submitted 7/14