This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Columbia just told what I assume is the vast majority of us waitlisters to go f*** ourselves and enjoy our hundreds of thousands in student debt because they've had so few withdrawals... so much for the Ivies and trickle-down waitlist economics this year :hungover:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Was typing the same thing before you beat me out, haha^

Reactions: 1 user
Columbia just told what I assume is the vast majority of us waitlisters to go f*** ourselves and enjoy our hundreds of thousands in student debt because they've had so few withdrawals... so much for the Ivies and trickle-down waitlist economics this year :hungover:

Was it a rejection or just an FYI?

Members don't see this ad :)
"Dear applicant,

We appreciate your interest in VP&S and wish that we could send you better news. Unfortunately, we have had considerably fewer withdrawals than we had expected by this time. Although we do not, by custom, formally close out the waitlist until just after the day of orientation, which this year is August 11th, the reality of the situation is that there is essentially no chance that we would be able to offer you admission between now and the time school starts.

We are sorry not to be able to send you more positive news, but in fairness to your planning of your future felt that we should share this information now. We wish you the best going forward."

Make of that what you will

• Sad
Reactions: 8 users
"Dear applicant,

We appreciate your interest in VP&S and wish that we could send you better news. Unfortunately, we have had considerably fewer withdrawals than we had expected by this time. Although we do not, by custom, formally close out the waitlist until just after the day of orientation, which this year is August 11th, the reality of the situation is that there is essentially no chance that we would be able to offer you admission between now and the time school starts.

We are sorry not to be able to send you more positive news, but in fairness to your planning of your future felt that we should share this information now. We wish you the best going forward."

Columbia is an exception this cycle, since they went debt-free. A lot of students are getting full scholarships (and more), so it’s expected that their yield would be super high from now on. I wouldn’t consider their waitlist movement to be indicative of what will happen with other schools this year.

Reactions: 13 users
"Dear applicant,

At least they are transparent.

Reactions: 19 users
"Dear applicant,

I know it sucks to receive that email but I think it's great they're being transparent, and it seems they strike the right tone here. Kudos to Colubmia (although my kudos are limited due to their many other issues)

Kind of wish my waitlist school would send similar communication (either saying we still have spots or you're screwed) so I could plan better, but my attempts to get information have thus far been rejected, albeit politely.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Columbia is an exception this cycle, since they went debt-free. A lot of students are getting full scholarships (and more), so it’s expected that their yield would be super high from now on. I wouldn’t consider their waitlist movement to be indicative of what will happen with other schools this year.

True. This will at least mean debt-free schools like NYU, Columbia, Mayo (anticipated to go debt-free), Cornell (also anticipated to go debt free), Wash U (more full tuition scholarships offered this year), and Yale (reduced total unit loan over 4 years to $80k) will have minimal WL movement.

Reactions: 1 users
At least they are transparent.

I'm not going to lie... I am pretty upset about my post-II rejection.

However... I am even more upset that my classmate was accepted into Vagelos despite having mediocre grades and cheating on her permanent record.... her father is an instructor at Vagelos.... there was never any doubt that she would be accepted.

Mediocre Grades:
Mix of low A’s and B’s in premed courses at Ivy League school. Low course load (~15 credits per semester). Non-premed classes were not particularly demanding (mostly psych). Not terrible obviously, but not outstanding or particularly impressive

Cheating:
I don’t know the exact details of the case, but I do know the following... caught cheating on a lab report (copying or something). Placed on permanent record. Absolutely had to report it on AMCAS so yes Columbia knew. Students with similar cases (relatively common) coming from my school were denied Interviews at most if not all MD schools

I wouldn't exactly call Columbia transparent.... they're pretty full of ****.... hey but what can you expect from a school that has Dr. Oz as a faculty member.

I truly think there is a population of applicants that has decided which school they will attend but have not actively withdrew from other schools or perhaps clicked CTE. I feel comes orientation time, it will be a shi* show.

Hi! How have you all worded emails to top choice schools when you have a CTE coming up and are still on the waitlist?

Hi! How have you all worded emails to top choice schools when you have a CTE coming up and are still on the waitlist?
Like this:

• Haha
Reactions: 44 users
Members don't see this ad :)
"Dear Applicant,

We appreciate your interest in VP&S and are reaching out to provide you an update. We have had considerably fewer withdrawals than we had expected by this time of year, and at the present it does not seem likely that things will work out favorably. That said, we will continue to keep your candidacy under consideration in case things could change unexpectedly.
We wish you the best going forward. "

Can someone explain to me why my e-mail was different? I'm guessing a 'higher priority' type of thing... but even this is not exactly instilling confidence?

Reactions: 5 users
"Dear Applicant,

We appreciate your interest in VP&S and are reaching out to provide you an update. We have had considerably fewer withdrawals than we had expected by this time of year, and at the present it does not seem likely that things will work out favorably. That said, we will continue to keep your candidacy under consideration in case things could change unexpectedly.

Can someone explain to me why my e-mail was different? I'm guessing a 'higher priority' type of thing... but even this is not exactly instilling confidence?
The other emails were like a soft rejection. Yours sounds like you’re still on the waitlist, but they’re not expecting to use their waitlist due to their high yield.

"Dear Applicant,

Huh interesting, this seems to be a "tier 2" email. Tier 1 said explicitly "you're on our short list," and Tier 3 says you're SOL. So there's still hope for you!

Huh interesting, this seems to be a "tier 2" email. Tier 1 said explicitly "you're on our short list," and Tier 3 says you're SOL. So there's still hope for you!

Do you have a copy of tier 1 email from a friend?

Do you have a copy of tier 1 email from a friend?

"We greatly appreciate your continuing interest in VP&S.
Withdrawals seem to be coming in somewhat later this year than last. Although we do not know how things will go in the weeks that remain, you are among a small group of particularly highly rated applicants on our waitlist. Please be assured that we will keep you under very active consideration. We do understand the stress of this entire process.
Thank you for your patience. "

Reactions: 3 users
I wish I knew what I did to be put on tier 3 waitlist,

Thanks for crushing my hopes and dreams Columbia.

DO schools really care about future residency? I mean the people who run adcoms aren't running residency I don't think.

They clearly spent time ranking us beforehand tho.

I wish that they had been transparent with our ranking at the beginning instead of letting us agonize for 3 months.

I would have sent a LOI to a different school if they had been more upfront.

Blah, I kinda agree with whoever coined the term trickled own wait list economics. If the top schools are offering better packages and getting a higher yield than I think this will ultimately trickle down since those PTE at mid tiers will less likely get into top tiers and thus wait list movement in general will experience stagnation. Sorry for the pessimistic view but logically this makes sense to me. Would love for someone to refute it though blah.

JiffyLube, you continue to leak oil all over this thread.

Jiffylube has a point tho...

Adcoms on here talk about all of the stigmas:

-Reapplying
-Reapplying with a former A
-Retaking the MCAT
-Criminal Record
-Cheating on record

It was pretty disappointing to read on the Columbia SDN thread that they admitted a girl with cheating on her record, in large part (I assume) due to her father's faculty position.

@gyngyn

How common is this? at least in your experience.
Will adcoms move heaven and earth for faculty member children?

• Wow
Jiffylube has a point tho...

Adcoms on here talk about all of the stigmas:

-Reapplying
-Reapplying with a former A
-Retaking the MCAT
-Criminal Record
-Cheating on record

It was pretty disappointing to read on the Columbia SDN thread that they admitted a girl with cheating on her record, in large part (I assume) due to her father's faculty position.

@gyngyn

It's politics. It would be a bad look if a faculty member's kid didn't get in and no one wants to deal with that in house. Money and connections run a lot of the world. It's said but it's the truth and life isn't fair as someone said before and it isn't going to change.

lowkey pissed my parents didn't shell out a fresh mil to have my head photoshopped onto a Harvard rower's body

• Haha
Reactions: 17 users
@gyngyn

It takes a lot to change a culture that does this. In my experience, this takes a combination of strong ( often new) leadership and perseverance.
...and yes, it's fairly pervasive.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
lowkey pissed my parents didn't shell out a fresh mil to have my head photoshopped onto a Harvard rower's body
HAHAHA.... in the grand scheme of things unless you are trying for academic med/research/crave the prestige, medical school is medical school wherever you end up and where you end up in life (and in medicine) is significantly determined by your effort and in the end the majority of people aren't going to care where you went to medical school. People from State uni end up at the same residency spots as people from WUSTL/Harvard/Vandy. Do well and put in a solid effort and you will be okay.

• Love
@gyngyn

Im going to try to change the topic.

Are there any good threads on medical school finances?

Like realistically how much private debt is too much debt... as you said, there don't appear to be many loan forgiveness programs that cover private debt.

@gyngyn

Im going to try to change the topic.

Are there any good threads on medical school finances?

Like realistically how much private debt is too much debt... as you said, there don't appear to be many loan forgiveness programs that cover private debt.

This is not really a social thread, it's specifically for the waitlists and for people languishing on them. Try running a search. There is a search bar, and there are multiple threads about finances. Look for posts from @HomeSkool.

This is not really a social thread, it's specifically for the waitlists and for people languishing on them. Try running a search. There is a search bar, and there are multiple threads about finances. Look for posts from @HomeSkool.

Financial decisions are honestly a bigger part of many WL people's decisions than you might think.

Like is it worth it to stay on a WL for a school if you think that they'll saddle you with large private loans.
This question actually helps people instead of just speculating on WL movement.

Clearly I am asking because i have not found a good one.

Not all of us are as blessed as you financially @Matthew9Thirtyfive....

As a change of pace, looking for advice on what to do regarding the coming year if I don’t get off either of my 2 waitlists. Have applied to some jobs in the meantime and think I have a good shot of getting at least one of them soon. Will need to get an apartment and move for all of them. Is there a point where it makes more sense to withdraw from the waitlists and reapply rather than “risk” getting an acceptance close to the start of orientation and need to leave the job or apartment lease for it?

Financial decisions are honestly a bigger part of many WL people's decisions than you might think.

If you want to talk about how you're really hoping to get off a waitlist because of the financials that go with a school you're currently accepted into or something, that's fine. But that's different than asking someone to do your homework for you. There is a very functional search bar, and I just gave you a user to search under who has posted a very helpful financial thread.

Finances were a huge part of my decision, so I am well aware of their importance.

Now let's get back on topic please.

Like is it worth it to stay on a WL for a school if you think that they'll saddle you with large private loans.
This question actually helps people instead of just speculating on WL movement.

thats just rude! he is a veteran who is about to go to a free medical school in exchange to a service obligation. Dont be disrespectful please.

Reactions: 5 users
As a change of pace, looking for advice on what to do regarding the coming year if I don’t get off either of my 2 waitlists. Have applied to some jobs in the meantime and think I have a good shot of getting at least one of them soon. Will need to get an apartment and move for all of them. Is there a point where it makes more sense to withdraw from the waitlists and reapply rather than “risk” getting an acceptance close to the start of orientation and need to leave the job or apartment lease for it?

As far as leaving the job goes, it is what it is. You didn't intend to take the job just to leave it. And unless your landlord is a total a-hole, you should be able to get out of a lease due to those circumstances. While it's nice that you're trying to think of your potential employer and landlord, I wouldn't prematurely pull the plug just so you don't upset them.

I’d take on some fat debt rn if it means I get to go to med school js

Reactions: 14 users
would you be moving alone, or do you have pets/family/kids/significant others?

I'd take out a student loan and put it into bitcoin and then when we moon I pay off my debt then donate the profit to my dream school so they accept me.

Would you take on $220k federal loans, $180k in high interest private loans, and $100k in institutional loans?

Decision im faced with at the moment

My state schools didn't pan out...

Would you take on $220k federal loans, $180k in high interest private loans, and $100k in institutional loans?

so the total of $500K???? what school is that????

so the total of $500K???? what school is that????

Previous federal loans & institutional loans from undergrad (120k).

Its a mid tier school that runs about $80-85k a year (I'd rather not say; i don't have anything against them). Scholarship availability dries up for WL people.

Living with my partner and their cat
so they would be moving too?

honestly, if I were you, I would not drop the waitlists at all. ever. You live with your partner - that is a blessing. Make sure you fill out fafsa for the schools right now, just in case. Also make sure your shots are in order, - if you have health insurance, get vaccination from MMP, Hep B, tdap, and TB test. Just in case. (or get those records), so that when you have to do the medical paperwork, you can do it very quickly. Have the money put aside just in case for the apartment and the deposit. This way, even if you get the call a WEEK before the classes, you can figure everything out quickly. Your partner can stay back and hold the fortress for a week or two, while you find you guys a place in that new city, and then you can drive on one of the weekend to help move. you can do it!!!!!!

As someone with no As, YES

Reactions: 7 users
Do the amount of people in a school's FB group indicate whether they're close to filling the class number or not really?

If all else is equal, go to the school that will net you the least debt. If you only have one option, then there you go. Unfortunately, turning down an acceptance isn’t a great idea even if it’s for financial reasons.

Do the amount of people in a school's FB group indicate whether they're close to filling the class number or not really?
Not reliably enough to be worth the effort trying to find meaning in what could be just an M4 joining the group while trying to sell her couch.

Reactions: 7 users
Look, most folks' perspectives on money and, specifically debt, are quiet personal. It is tied in with, in the case of medical school, with how risk adverse/risk tolerant you are. Do you think for example, you can succeed at a highly competitive, high income specialty and pay down what will likely be a $750k + debt?

I don't like debt. And so I would not take the $500k on board. I think you face two realistic choices, reapply and hope you to get a more affordable option next time or begin the pursuit a career out of medicine

Are you taking into account the black mark turning down an acceptance can put on your application?

Status
Not open for further replies.