This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do the amount of people in a school's FB group indicate whether they're close to filling the class number or not really?
Not reliably enough to be worth the effort trying to find meaning in what could be just an M4 joining the group while trying to sell her couch.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Look, most folks' perspectives on money and, specifically debt, are quiet personal. It is tied in with, in the case of medical school, with how risk adverse/risk tolerant you are. Do you think for example, you can succeed at a highly competitive, high income specialty and pay down what will likely be a $750k + debt?

I don't like debt. And so I would not take the $500k on board. I think you face two realistic choices, reapply and hope you to get a more affordable option next time or begin the pursuit a career out of medicine

Are you taking into account the black mark turning down an acceptance can put on your application?

Reactions: 1 user
Do the amount of people in a school's FB group indicate whether they're close to filling the class number or not really?

It might be a bit of an outlier, but the FB group for my WL school has more than twice as many members as the class size. I think a decent number of people in any school’s FB group are current students.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It might be a bit of an outlier, but the FB group for my WL school has more than twice as many members as the class size. I think a decent number of people in any school’s FB group are current students.
Same with mine. Stopped trying to use it as a measure of how full the class was.

Reactions: 3 users
Look, most folks' perspectives on money and, specifically debt, are quiet personal. It is tied in with, in the case of medical school, with how risk adverse/risk tolerant you are. Do you think for example, you can succeed at a highly competitive, high income specialty and pay down what will likely be a $750k + debt?

I don't like debt. And so I would not take the $500k on board. I think you face two realistic choices, reapply and hope you to get a more affordable option next time or begin the pursuit a career outside of medicine

If I were to reapply, I would honestly wait until roughly 5 years from now.... would hopefully diminish the stigma and I could earn more money to reduce this burden.

There are other factors of course too, which include a parent in bad health and potential need to take time off from school (time in which interest would accrue).

Reactions: 1 users
I'd say schools have already filled their classes at this point. It's now just about waiting for people to withdraw so that there's an opening.

Previous federal loans & institutional loans from undergrad (120k).

Its a mid tier school that runs about $80-85k a year (I'd rather not say; i don't have anything against them). Scholarship availability dries up for WL people.
I would recommend running a financial model to project your earnings with or without medical school

Reactions: 2 users
The admissions from the school I'm waitlisted for told me they don't expect much movement in June. Just throwing this info out here.

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Starting to see people mention schools mentioning they dont expect much more movement. I guess they're filled with PTEs and expect those to transition to CTE. Hope is that some schools move off waitlist and a trickle down effect occurs. But not expecting it to be honest.

• Sad
This is precisely the small bore thinking that permeates too much of the pre-med mindset. Cowed, compliant fish is the term that comes to mind.

Please keep this professional. Personal attacks and name calling are not permitted on this forum. Being educated on the realities of the application system is not small thinking. If you'd like to choose that hill to die on, feel free. But you're the buyer, and it's a seller's market. There are literally tens of thousands of people who would gladly take $500k in debt to go to medical school.

Starting to see people mention schools mentioning they dont expect much more movement. I guess they're filled with PTEs and expect those to transition to CTE. Hope is that some schools move off waitlist and a trickle down effect occurs. But not expecting it to be honest.
Yeah i still have some faith. There are definitely still people out there with multiple acceptances. Anything is possible but definitely safe not to hold your breath and focus on next cycle.

So what does the Columbia Tier 1 email mean.. is it likely that someone who receives that gets in? Or is it more that you have a small chance of still getting in?

So what does the Columbia Tier 1 email mean.. is it likely that someone who receives that gets in? Or is it more that you have a small chance of still getting in?
I think this year, it’s unlikely for anyone to get off any waitlist at any school.

• Wow
  • Sad
Members don't see this ad :)
Please keep this professional. Personal attacks and name calling are not permitted on this forum. Being educated on the realities of the application system is not small thinking. If you'd like to choose that hill to die on, feel free. But you're the buyer, and it's a seller's market. There are literally tens of thousands of people who would gladly take $500k in debt to go to medical school.

As I said, there are other factors at play as well.

My father had to get back on the WL for a liver transplant. This is recent news. I will likely have to take off time now in 2-3 years from now.

Pretty terrible to have to pay 60-80k in interest to have to take care of your dying parent.

• Sad
As I said, there are other factors at play as well.

My father had to get back on the WL for a liver transplant. This is recent news. I will likely have to take off time now in 2-3 years from now.

Pretty terrible to have to pay 60-80k in interest to have to take care of your dying parent.

Yes, it's all very personal. Family definitely comes first. Medical school will always be there. Sorry about your father. I'll pray for him.

That seems pretty speculative, any reason you say that?
Sigh, I’m just being very pessimistic. May is done and there has been significantly less movement than normal according to many adcoms and schools. It’s the same story over and over again - “not as many people withdrew as we anticipated, our class is full now, etc.” We’re running out of time till medical school starts, and it just seems more and more unlikely to me that any significant movement will happen.

I think the consensus was that its not time to throw in the towel until we are through the CTE deadlines in June

But why do you think they would bother stratifying into groups if nobody was coming off?
Because they’re in a position of speculation too. Nothing is certain for them except that they need to have a certain enrollment for their class, hence keeping a waitlist. Shortening it to the most stellar candidates will make things easier for them if they have to make a buzzer beater decision (as in, near orientation time).

I just honestly feel that Columbia is one of those schools that will have a particularly high yield from now on because of financial aid. They’ve already had some waitlist movement according to their FB group. Clearly if these students that received the email were high priority, they would’ve gotten in by now if there was room. The problem, I think, is simply that there is no room

Sigh, I’m just being very pessimistic. May is done and there has been significantly less movement than normal according to many adcoms and schools. It’s the same story over and over again - “not as many people withdrew as we anticipated, our class is full now, etc.” We’re running out of time till medical school starts, and it just seems more and more unlikely to me that any significant movement will happen.
I think that more people are holding onto multiple acceptances until the very last minute despite already having made up their minds. Unless forced by a definite deadline there is nothing pressuring them to rescind extra acceptances in my eyes. I feel as though applicants are hesitant to withdraw acceptances because of many "what ifs" but in the end, they'll have to choose just one school.

I think that more people are holding onto multiple acceptances until the very last minute despite already having made up their minds. Unless forced by a definite deadline there is nothing pressuring them to rescind extra acceptances in my eyes. I feel as though applicants are hesitant to withdraw acceptances because of many "what ifs" but in the end, they'll have to choose just one school.
I hope this is the case, but remember, not many students get multiple acceptances in the first place, and not many are still holding them. Gyngyn has already said that for California, the number of students with multiple acceptances now is small (like less than 5% from what I remember).

Are we to assume most WL movement has occurred already?

I agree. I think the “confusion” and “chaos” that adcoms were complaining about was overblown.
Do adcoms have less data to pull from when giving out acceptances this year? Yes. Are they slightly more conservative this year? From what I’ve seen, yes. But nothing has fundamentally changed. There will be no magical wave of waitlist movement in June. It will be a very very slow trickle. Like others have said, PTEs Will become CTEs and once this is all over, adcoms will realize that there wasn’t anything crazy about this cycle.

Gotcha! So most WL movement has probably occurred but some spots might open up as CTE deadlines come up?

I agree. I think the “confusion” and “chaos” that adcoms were complaining about was overblown.
Do adcoms have less data to pull from when giving out acceptances this year? Yes. Are they slightly more conservative this year? From what I’ve seen, yes. But nothing has fundamentally changed. There will be no magical wave of waitlist movement in June. It will be a very very slow trickle. Like others have said, PTEs Will become CTEs and once this is all over, adcoms will realize that there wasn’t anything crazy about this cycle.

This makes sense. I do think the change in traffic rules made schools much more conservative resulting in less acceptances. Many schools probably filled their class size and after that happened put the remaining on the waitlist. So, lets say five people drop their acceptance, then take five off the waitlist. Rinse and repeat.

This makes sense. I do think the change in traffic rules made schools much more conservative resulting in less acceptances. Many schools probably filled their class size and after that happened put the remaining on the waitlist. So, lets say five people drop their acceptance, then take five off the waitlist. Rinse and repeat.
I feel like people were expecting a huge rush of waitlist acceptances, but these adcoms aren’t stupid, they definitely acted conservatively

Personally, I trust gyngyn just because he/she has anonymity on here as far as I know. There is less need to cover oneself if you have anonymity.

Personally, I trust gyngyn just because he/she has anonymity on here as far as I know. There is less need to cover oneself if you have anonymity.

No one is saying that gyngyn has malicious intentions or is trying to cover up anything. He's a great person who willingly donates his time answering neurotic premed questions. BUT he willfully stated that his view on this situation is just a "theory" and that it comes from his unique perspective at, what I assume, is a top california school. He is definitely trustworthy, but it's just a theory.

Idk why people are mad at someone giving their insight. Instead be mad at the schools ooing and ahhhing over how great of a fit you would be only to hear crickets

No one is saying that gyngyn has malicious intentions or is trying to cover up anything. He's a great person who willingly donates his time answering neurotic premed questions. BUT he willfully stated that his view on this situation is just a "theory" and that it comes from his unique perspective at, what I assume, is a top california school. He is definitely trustworthy, but it's just a theory.
I don't think it is malicious either. I am simply saying gyngyn is able to be more open than if someone called the office

My gf went through WL hell and her bio prof, who also has a daughter in med school, told us bluntly, 'Waitlist equals rejection!' He's a really positive, supportive, down to earth, but realistic guy. While I don't think it's necessarily true, I think there is value in that perspective. I am rejected until further notice. Therefore, I have to spend my energy improving my application. An A at this point will be a pleasant surprise, but nothing I am banking on.

Reactions: 8 users
Speculative and unfounded. An example of defeatist thinking. I am OK with being brutally realistic, but this level of pessimism is unwarranted.

This is the last time I’m going to ask you to keep it professional. The confrontational demeanor of your posts is unnecessary. Next time, it will result in moderation.

Sorry, I really respect gyngyn. Don’t know him, but he sounds like a great guy.

But he’s just been giving us his “theory” and many of us, including myself, have been using it as an excuse to hold onto hope that we will get off the waitlist.

Some adcoms have said “we don’t know what’s gonna happen this year... it’s a crap show.” But honestly, the most likely thing that’s gonna happen is that PTEs will change to CTEs and things will work out the way they’ve worked out for many many years.

Adcoms are most likely just expressing their frustration that the processing rules have changed. This frustration is being interpreted by many of us that there's gonna be a **** storm in June/ July and there will be massive waitlist movement. It ain't gonna happen.

I think everyone agrees at this point that no one really knows what is going on, everything is conjecture, and the best idea is to prepare to reapply or take more time off. But there's nothing wrong with holding on to hope of getting off the waitlist as your Plan B as long as you're preparing an adequate plan A for the worst case scenario.

My gf went through WL hell and her bio prof, who also has a daughter in med school, told us bluntly, 'Waitlist equals rejection!' He's a really positive, supportive, down to earth, but realistic guy. While I don't think it's necessarily true, I think there is value in that perspective. I am rejected until further notice. Therefore, I have to spend my energy improving my application. An A at this point will be a pleasant surprise, but nothing I am banking on.
one of my recommenders said the same thing about waitlists

@gyngyn do you think there is a possibility that the stalemate doesn't end and almost all PTEs turn into CTEs? if so, how strong of possibility do you see it?

I just wanted to throw some in some info I received from colleagues from two different high mid-tier schools. One of the schools is accepting waitlisted students as PTE students withdraw because the class is full. Most of the students coming off the waitlist seem to be those living close to the school. The other school is accepting waitlisted students in batches. It's had about 3 rounds of waitlisted movement. The first batch after April 30 accepted about 30 waitlisted students. Then, 10 more students as the first round didn't fill the class. The most recent 3rd round accepted less than 10 students and class has been filled.

To note: Both schools are known to have little to no financial aid assistance other than loans, but waitlist movement still has been very low.

I just wanted to throw some in some info I received from colleagues from two different high mid-tier schools. One of the schools is accepting waitlisted students as PTE students withdraw because the class is full. Most of the students coming off the waitlist seem to be those living close to the school. The other school is accepting waitlisted students in batches. It's had about 3 rounds of waitlisted movement. The first batch after April 30 accepted about 30 waitlisted students. Then, 10 more students as the first round didn't fill the class. The most recent 3rd round accepted less than 10 students and class has been filled.

We need more posts like yours. Actual information. Thanks

Reactions: 8 users
WL is definitely moving, much like someone on here mentioned that it will be ice melting rather than a flood.

My WL school (which is enforcing the rules) has been having movement since before April 30th up to today, meaning that whoever dropped out was accepted somewhere else off of a WL and so on.

@gyngyn do you think there is a possibility that the stalemate doesn't end and almost all PTEs turn into CTEs? if so, how strong of possibility do you see it?
I'll know more tomorrow (at least for the CA schools).

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 14 users

To note: Both schools are known to have little to no financial aid assistance other than loans, but waitlist movement still has been very low.
Do you know if they let their waitlisted students know that the class has been filled? Do schools communicate this at all? I am giving up at this point.

Do you know if they let their waitlisted students know that the class has been filled? Do schools communicate this at all? I am giving up at this point.

Most school have their classes filled by now. It's difficult to communicate this because there may be some students who withdraw and opens up 1-2 spots.

What schools

Out of curiosity, does anyone know of schools that have had significant movement. The schools I'm watching have been slower compared to years past.

Status
Not open for further replies.