2018-2019 Wake Forest University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
I got an email from Wake Forest thanking me for my primary application... that I submitted the last cycle. Oops! There must be a bug in their system. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email from Wake Forest thanking me for my primary application... that I submitted the last cycle. Oops! There must be a bug in their system. Good luck everyone!

The same thing just happened to me! I just got a secondary from them, despite applying last cycle and committing to Michigan. Oh well- hope they figure it out!

Can you get secondaries while still waiting on a letter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a new system and something went wrong. Our software vendor is working on it and it should be fixed soon.
Do you know when secondaries for the 2019 application cycle would begin being sent out?

Wake has a pre secondary screen, correct?

I don’t think so. Their website says “all applicants will receive a secondary application”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
1. The Committee on Admissions values diversity as an important factor in the educational mission of the Wake Forest School of Medicine. How will you contribute to the diversity of your medical school class and to the medical community in general? (400 words)

2. What obstacles or challenges have you experienced and how have you dealt with them? (400 words)

3. How has creativity helped you in your studies, work, activities, volunteering, or life in general? (400 words)

4. Briefly summarize your journey from the time you became interested in a medical career to filling out this secondary application. Do not focus on why you wish to persue a medical career, but how you got to where you are now. (400 words)

5. Please tell us an interesting fact about yourself that a casual acquaintance may find surprising or interesting. (50 words)

Optional:
1. If you have already received your bachelor's degree, please describe what you have been doing since graduation and your plans for the upcoming year. (200 words)

2. Describe any connection you have to Wake Forest School of Medicine, Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, or North Carolina.

Reactions: 4 users
#5 is probably going to be my favorite essay to write all cycle long. Super excited about this one. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Secondary received and submitted!

So excited for another chance to possibly go to Wake Forest :)

Reactions: 1 users
4. Briefly summarize your journey from the time you became interested in a medical career to filling out this secondary application. Do not focus on why you wish to persue a medical career, but how you got to where you are now. (400 words)

I don't quite understand this question. Is this a more recent event version of the personal statement? How do successful applicant approach this prompt?

I don't quite understand this question. Is this a more recent event version of the personal statement? How do successful applicant approach this prompt?
If you were Frodo, you went to Mordor to save Middle Earth by tossing the Ring into Mount Doom. That is why you want to go to Mordor. What did Frodo have to overcome to get there?

Reactions: 3 users
If you were Frodo, you went to Mordor to save Middle Earth by tossing the Ring into Mount Doom. That is why you want to go to Mordor. What did Frodo have to overcome to get there?
I basically hit on this topic in my PS. Is it acceptable to talk about the same thing? I added at the end why I applied to Wake and how it aligns with my goals in medicine. I talked about how I first became interested cuz of "bring your kid to work" day but then I told myself I would explore all of my options in HS/Undergrad and then (interest part from PS).

Submitted yesterday. Good luck everyone!

For question 4 (journey to medicine), do these events need to be in a chronological order?

Did anyone notice that they misspelled “pursue” in their prompt?

Did anyone notice that they misspelled “pursue” in their prompt?
YES! I posted something this morning in jest, but got neurotic about it and deleted it within a few minutes, lol. Totally not a big deal but I chuckle every time I read the prompt.

And yet adcoms can crucify applicants for simple spelling errors...
There is something seriously wrong with this entire process...

@Pathdocmd The complete email says that applications aren't reviewed in any particular order. Does that mean it's purely random? It seems that being reviewed early is a huge boon to your chances. Would you just have to get lucky to be in the first group looked at?

@Pathdocmd would you mind explaining a bit more about the learning communities/houses? It seems like a really interesting system! Thank you

Last edited:
@Pathdocmd, does Wake consider academic probation as an institutional action for the secondary? It was included with the convictions and honor code violations so I wasnt sure. I explained it in the primary, but just wanted clarify if it should be included. Thanks!

@Pathdocmd, does Wake consider academic probation as an institutional action for the secondary? It was included with the convictions and honor code violations so I wasnt sure. I explained it in the primary, but just wanted clarify if it should be included. Thanks!
Yes. Please don't say "See AMCAS application".

2. What obstacles or challenges have you experienced and how have you dealt with them? (400 words)

With this question, are people using a specific adversity topic, like other schools ask, or detailing multiple challenges you've had throughout life?

With this question, are people using a specific adversity topic, like other schools ask, or detailing multiple challenges you've had throughout life?
In the past, applicants have used all sorts of examples: school, work, personal, something while volunteering, family issues, medical, spiritual, emotional, etc, etc, etc.

In the past, applicants have used all sorts of examples: school, work, personal, something while volunteering, family issues, medical, spiritual, emotional, etc, etc, etc.
whats your opinion on talking about emotional/self esteem problems? I spoke about having a lack of identity and bad self image because of growing up in the modeling/acting world. My diversity essay is about what I bring as a LGBT person from a rural conservative area so even tho this would be great for an adversity statement, I dont wanna be too repetitive. (and my diversity hits on this adversity too)

@Pathdocmd For the creativity question is it asking for a specific example or how has it helped in general? Or either?

Hey fam. I received my secondary soon after adding the school yesterday and submitted it today (PTL for pre-writing *raise the roof emoji). Good luck to everyone!

Hey fam. I received my secondary soon after adding the school yesterday and submitted it today (PTL for pre-writing *raise the roof emoji). Good luck to everyone!

Congrats! I submitted awhile ago and haven’t heard back.. anyone else waiting still?

Congrats! I submitted awhile ago and haven’t heard back.. anyone else waiting still?

Still waiting, but its only been since Wednesday since I submitted. My portal still says "Waiting on Materials". From my stalking, it looks like the first SDN reported interview didn't go out till 8/3 last year, so we still have a bit of time.

@Pathdocmd The complete email says that applications aren't reviewed in any particular order. Does that mean it's purely random? It seems that being reviewed early is a huge boon to your chances. Would you just have to get lucky to be in the first group looked at?
We get the applications in big downloads (hundreds at a time) and they are not necessarily in the order they were sent to AMCAS. Secondaries come back at different times. We distribute them among the reviewers and some will get them back soon, others take their time. Institutional actions need reviewing, something is missing, etc so that mixes the order they get reviewed. An application submitted in July will be reviewed before the one in September, but they one submitted July 1st and Aug 1st, not so much.

We get the applications in big downloads (hundreds at a time) and they are not necessarily in the order they were sent to AMCAS. Secondaries come back at different times. We distribute them among the reviewers and some will get them back soon, others take their time. Institutional actions need reviewing, something is missing, etc so that mixes the order they get reviewed. An application submitted in July will be reviewed before the one in September, but they one submitted July 1st and Aug 1st, not so much.

Ok, thanks for the answer!

For the interesting fact about yourself do you think i should talk about my webbed toes and how they helped me partially swim faster as a kid or should i talk about my unique background growing up? I know the first is not too serious and there was no lesson from it but I'm not sure if that's what they are looking for! any advice is much appreciated :)

Reactions: 2 users
For the interesting fact about yourself do you think i should talk about my webbed toes and how they helped me partially swim faster as a kid or should i talk about my unique background growing up? I know the first is not too serious and there was no lesson from it but I'm not sure if that's what they are looking for! any advice is much appreciated :)
I’m seriously chuckling at the webbed toes thing, not in a bad way, just super endearing. I’d be intrigued if I was reviewing. Just my humble opinion but I feel like the other questions really dive into you as a person and how your experiences/character traits have shaped you, so I think the webbed toes fact just puts a lighter spin on that theme. Plus I think you can better fit your “unique background growing up” into the diversity essay.

I’m seriously chuckling at the webbed toes thing, not in a bad way, just super endearing. I’d be intrigued if I was reviewing. Just my humble opinion but I feel like the other questions really dive into you as a person and how your experiences/character traits have shaped you, so I think the webbed toes fact just puts a lighter spin on that theme. Plus I think you can better fit your “unique background growing up” into the diversity essay.
That is exactly why i chose to go with this one rather that the unique background since I covered that in deep detail in my diversity essay and plus as you said there other prompts almost cover everything about an applicant.

Does anyone know how long it takes for confirmation of a completed application (assuming everything (secondary app, LOR, MCAT scores, etc.) is in)?

Does anyone know how long it takes for confirmation of a completed application (assuming everything (secondary app, LOR, MCAT scores, etc.) is in)?
Took mine a couple days. There might be higher traffic now though