2018-2019 Yale University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed here yesterday.

Naturally, I can't talk about the content of my interviews. But, this is my home institution so PM me if you have questions!

Did most of the people at your interviews receive a II very quickly after submitting?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
To be honest, it never came up in our conversations!

Did most of the people at your interviews receive a II very quickly after submitting?
Is this really something you would ask someone else you meet on the interview trail in person? Spoiler: plz don't..don't be that guy

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if you can bring your luggage to the admissions office the day of the interview?

Yale good?

Yeah

I am on the train typing this now coming from a jazz club in NYC during our neuro block

We (MS2s) are going to start clerkships in January and it has reminded me that we have it made here when it comes to the clinical year. I think this is the less discussed side of the Yale system, as most interviewees are focused on stuff like preclinical attendance policies, research , or whatever else, and most of the students you run into to ask questions on interview day are usually still in preclinical.

Perks of clerkships at Yale:

-No shelf exams, so 1) you get to focus on learning from the patients you have and preparing for Step, and 2) getting Honors depends on your performance on clerkships and not on silly tests
-No limits on Honors for rotations, so everyone can honor without having to be toxic to compete with each other
-Weekends off on most clerkships (excluding IM), even on surgery
-Each rotation has a little bit of flex time built into it that you can use to knock out your own doctors appointments, go to the bank, sleep, or do whatever else that needs to be done during weekday business hours that you normally can’t do on clerkships
-Easy to secure days off to travel to research conferences and present your work
-the culture is generally chill and you will not get bullied or endlessly pimped on rotations. If you are mistreated, there is a system in place to bite back without jeopardizing your grades. You can also appeal grades if you think a particular resident/attending unfairly assessed your performance.

Other cool things I’ve noticed lately:
-it’s easy to start new student groups and get funding for activities and catered food. I’m planning on starting a new group with a classmate in January, and it was extremely simple to find a faculty sponsor and talk to student affairs about cash.
-maybe it’s just Stockholm syndrome, but New Haven does grow on you a little bit over time even if you’ve come from a major city. I’ve definitely been happier since I got a car this summer and can explore the area more. I go home on breaks and it’s enough to keep me motivated in this little town.

I don’t do interview tours anymore so I’m unlikely to meet any of you guys personally during the interview trail but good luck and feel free to message me if you have more questions about Yale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 6 users
does anyone know if you can bring your luggage to the admissions office the day of the interview?

Lol yeah admissions has a space for luggage and coats. shouldn’t be a problem for you at any school.

To anyone who has already interviewed—how's the one-on-one meeting with the director of admissions?

To anyone who has already interviewed—how's the one-on-one meeting with the director of admissions?
He's sooo awesome. Don't feel pressed at all about it. He's chill and easy-to-talk-to. Yale was one of my favorite interview days! Only a 12 person interview group, and all of them cool and fun. Med students were all super cool as well.

Yale is easily my top choice, and everyone else at my interview had IIs to Hopkins, Harvard, Penn, Stanford so I'm PRAYING they all go there and leave me with a spot at Yale. Blessings on blessings.

Reactions: 2 users
Incredible!!! Thank you for the reply :)
Is the meeting with him essentially another interview, or is it just a very casual chat?

And also good to hear, it seems like yale has a very chill culture and vibe which I am a big fan of. Super excited to go interview :)

He's sooo awesome. Don't feel pressed at all about it. He's chill and easy-to-talk-to. Yale was one of my favorite interview days! Only a 12 person interview group, and all of them cool and fun. Med students were all super cool as well.

Yale is easily my top choice, and everyone else at my interview had IIs to Hopkins, Harvard, Penn, Stanford so I'm PRAYING they all go there and leave me with a spot at Yale. Blessings on blessings.

Incredible!!! Thank you for the reply :)
Is the meeting with him essentially another interview, or is it just a very casual chat?

And also good to hear, it seems like yale has a very chill culture and vibe which I am a big fan of. Super excited to go interview :)
So he asks questions in a casual, conversational manner like your other interviewers will, but it won't last as long as the others. I hope you like Yale as much as I did but also plz kindly go somewhere else (I see those Hopkins/Harvard IIs!!! you can't hide em!) bc I'm out here desperate for a spot!!! xx

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So he asks questions in a casual, conversational manner like your other interviewers will, but it won't last as long as the others. I hope you like Yale as much as I did but also plz kindly go somewhere else (I see those Hopkins/Harvard IIs!!! you can't hide em!) bc I'm out here desperate for a spot!!! xx

Hahaha hopefully we both get in and then maybe we will be classmates in the near future :)

Interviewed here a while ago. Easily my top choice; the freedom of the Yale System cannot be beaten. A reach for me. let’s see how my luck plays out.

Does the interview day go all the way until 5 PM? Or have a lot of people finished earlier?

Does the interview day go all the way until 5 PM? Or have a lot of people finished earlier?

Depends on your individual interview schedule. I ended up staying somewhat late (finishing with one last interview). I know a couple others who stayed until at least 4:30. IIRC most people got out before 4:30

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone, first time poster here. Got an II to Yale and was honestly so surprised. I've just been trying to collect data about interview stats, and going over my app/yale info. S/o to avgn and cigar, I learned a lot from y'all's posts. Right now, I was just wondering what the post interview acceptance rate is (and if it includes those off of the waitlist) and what it is for URMs, if anyone knows. Thanks, and best of luck to everyone, we are almost at the end of the pre med road!

Hey everyone, first time poster here. Got an II to Yale and was honestly so surprised. I've just been trying to collect data about interview stats, and going over my app/yale info. S/o to avgn and cigar, I learned a lot from y'all's posts. Right now, I was just wondering what the post interview acceptance rate is (and if it includes those off of the waitlist) and what it is for URMs, if anyone knows. Thanks, and best of luck to everyone, we are almost at the end of the pre med road!

Use this link:

Ctrl+f "Yale"
Also, it includes so many other schools as well.

Use this link:

Ctrl+f "Yale"
Also, it includes so many other schools as well.

Thanks for this! I'm just going to have a tunnel vision for Y until my interview, it's amazing to know that I have a legit chance

For those of you who have interviewed already, what was the nature of the interviews? Seems like they are pretty relaxed?

For those of you who have interviewed already, what was the nature of the interviews? Seems like they are pretty relaxed?
Yeah, very relaxed, just long. They're scheduled to last 45-60 minutes.

Does anyone know if Yale is receptive to ITA requests? I have an interview in NYC in January and was debating whether I should send them one or not.

Does anyone know if Yale is receptive to ITA requests? I have an interview in NYC in January and was debating whether I should send them one or not.
All that's known is Yale does not say "lol no idrc about your ITA situation" but nobody knows exactly how "receptive" a school is bc nobody really knows what happens behind those closed doors when such an email is received. Whether they're receptive or not shouldn't really impact your decision to send one anyway. Worst they could do is say "lol no" which I've never heard of Yale doing in the past. If it'll save you time and money, just send one. This might sound harsh but let's face it, most ppl aren't getting an II either way so how much could sending a nice email matter in the long run? Zip. Good luck!

All that's known is Yale does not say "lol no idrc about your ITA situation" but nobody knows exactly how "receptive" a school is bc nobody really knows what happens behind those closed doors when such an email is received. Whether they're receptive or not shouldn't really impact your decision to send one anyway. Worst they could do is say "lol no" which I've never heard of Yale doing in the past. If it'll save you time and money, just send one. This might sound harsh but let's face it, most ppl aren't getting an II either way so how much could sending a nice email matter in the long run? Zip. Good luck!

Very true! Thank you!

Did anyone who already submitted a post-interview survey get a follow up email reminding you to submit it? Are you gonna do it again?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Did anyone who already submitted a post-interview survey get a follow up email reminding you to submit it? Are you gonna do it again?

Does the email not say "If you have already submitted the survey, please disregard this message."?

Probably too late to thrown an app in? literally the last day... are almost all interviews handed out already?

Would wearing nice jeans and a shirt be appropriate for the pre-interview dinner? Or is it better to dress nicer? Just wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations from experience before I finish packing!

Would wearing nice jeans and a shirt be appropriate for the pre-interview dinner? Or is it better to dress nicer? Just wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations from experience before I finish packing!
No need to dress nicer, it’s suuuper casual

Reactions: 1 users
Probably too late to thrown an app in? literally the last day... are almost all interviews handed out already?
Admissions for Yale aren't rolling admissions it says, so I hope you submitted an app!

Hey all,

I hate to sound like a broken record. However, does anyone have an idea of how late Yale sends out II? I tried reading through past year’s thread and it wasn’t encredibly clear. Just that the final interview dates are in early February. I would love to finally nail this dream shut haha.

Reactions: 10 users
Could any current students elaborate on what exactly the difference is between the Yale System and an unranked pass/fail system?

Ex: Northwestern FSM does not have AOA (as of this year) and is unranked pass/fail in the preclinical years—with you being able to retake a failed exam as many times as you need to.

I was originally under the impression that the difference was that at Yale, there were no exams at all, but I guess there are(?) I know there are no shelf exams, which I understand is of great relevance.

Could any current students elaborate on what exactly the difference is between the Yale System and an unranked pass/fail system?

Ex: Northwestern FSM does not have AOA (as of this year) and is unranked pass/fail in the preclinical years—with you being able to retake a failed exam as many times as you need to.

I was originally under the impression that the difference was that at Yale, there were no exams at all, but I guess there are(?) I know there are no shelf exams, which I understand is of great relevance.

When I asked students this question, it becomes evident that the “Yale system” is more of a philosophy than an actual “system.” It’s true there are no shelf exams, but students also operate with the idea that they dictate their own schedules for the most part and with this comes responsible learning. Also, everybody seemed really laid back (which might be a product of the Yale system)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSTP R on 12/3, was put into MD application pool. II for MD only 12/10, only had a couple interviews in January. LM 76, IS Complete 8/31.

Reactions: 4 users
Why is this thread so quiet haha

Reactions: 6 users
are they receptive to pre-II updates?

I was able to submit an update through the online portal (pre-II). Couldn’t find anything that told me to do otherwise. However, I guess I’m not sure how receptive they were to it :)

Sorry if this is a dumb question/if it has been answered already but does anyone know when we hear back about acceptances/rejections?

Merry Christmas, folks. Monthly (? hm maybe q6 weeks lmao) reminder: it's a marathon, not sprint. You'll only kill yourself trying to outrun your own pace. Cycle is only half over for most people, all things considered. Typically the last IIs here go out sometime before the 2nd to 3rd week of January since there's at least 3 weeks of lead time to schedule interviews, which stop in February. Not familiar if any changes with the new office director but the general gist should in that ballpark. Good luck, it ain't over until it's over so even as time winds down, keep the faith but do know where things stand in general, at least at Yale. Happy holidays

Reactions: 17 users
There is so much movement at all the other schools, but nothing here? :(

Wondering if they still have any IIs to go out? Ik they’re done in February but I submitted in October, so I don’t know if they’ve gotten to my application yet

I
Wondering if they still have any IIs to go out? Ik they’re done in February but I submitted in October, so I don’t know if they’ve gotten to my application yet
I heard they don't go by that? I submitted back in August! Most schools are done giving out II by this month. :eek: