2018-2019 Yale University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I
I heard they don't go by that? I submitted back in August! Most schools are done giving out II by this month. :eek:
Yes thankfully most of my apps were submitted in August, this is just a late one I threw in so I know my chances aren’t great. Haven’t heard anything on the II front recently so I’m gonna imagine they’re probably just scheduling for cancellations now.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone! Sorry if this is a dumb question, but does anyone know what the odds are of receiving an interview at this point? Yale sent me an email asking me to apply back in August, but I haven't heard anything back yet. Although it was probably automatically generated and meaningless, the email did give me a little bit of hope... :/ Thanks in advance!

Hello everyone! Sorry if this is a dumb question, but does anyone know what the odds are of receiving an interview at this point? Yale sent me an email asking me to apply back in August, but I haven't heard anything back yet. Although it was probably automatically generated and meaningless, the email did give me a little bit of hope... :/ Thanks in advance!

I think chances are close to zero, but I’m waiting till the end of next week to completely give up

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe about one more week this week for super last minute IIs. It's been the trend for the past couple of years. Even then, very slim chances of anything going out. GL all

Reactions: 2 users
yeah but I am pretty sure at the interview they said everyone will find out on March 15 no matter what

Last year it was more like 3/5!

At my interview day Ayaska said by March 15, which I supposed would possibly imply that they might start sending them out at the beginning of March and the class will be filled by March 15. Then again I don't know for sure I just want to know if I'm in or not.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So is it safe to say that Yale is done throwing out IIs?

One of my pre-med advisees got an invite in February for a late FEB interview a couple years ago. Was accepted (not from WL, but regular A). And in past, all initial acceptances have gone out on the same day in March.

Reactions: 10 users
Anecdotal, but I did a summer program with them a few years ago and one of my mentors there had gotten his interview offer in late spring followed by an acceptance. He didn't know why or how but n+1

Thank u for keeping this marginal hope alive lol. Is Yale receptive to pre II updates?

Everyone finds out on the same day, whether A, WL, or R.

Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking of financial aid, Yale's application opens on 1/31 right?

So, we should fill it out, regardless, before release date?

Speaking of financial aid, Yale's application opens on 1/31 right?
I just called the office- it's still not available and might be at the end of the week.

Did everyone else receive the financial aid and second look info yesterday?

Did everyone else receive the financial aid and second look info yesterday?
Did receive financial aid info. Did not receive second look info:confused: Can you describe the latter?

edit: nevermind:rofl:

Last edited:
Did receive financial aid info. Did not receive second look info:confused: Can you describe the latter?

edit: was it a separate email? What did it say?

I think they meant the line in the financial aid email that mentioned the dates of second look, and that all aid decisions should be out by then

Bruh you gotta lift moar to get on that level...getting invited to second look before decisions are even out

Would filling the financial aid application for internationals affect decisions?

I contacted the office and they told me it was fine to leave it blank.

Good news everyone! (in Professor Farnsworth's Voice)

Welcome to Yale! You are in for an amazing 4 years should you choose to come here!

Yale's unit loan just got further reduced to 15k/year (From 23k/year last year)

How does this compare to the minimum-must-borrow at other schools?*
Yale has the lowest unit loan

Harvard: $33,950
Stanford: $6,000/quarter= $18,000 to $24,000/yr
Columbia: $28,250
Hopkins: $20,000-$25,500

What does this mean?
Yale estimates that you would need roughly about 95k/12 months to attend medical school. This is a very generous calculation given the low COL. So most students will get $80k in need based scholarship and only have to borrow $15k, unless he or she are expected to have parental contribution or self contribution.**

Advice
As annoying as it is to submit need based aid application to get an estimate, you might be pleasantly surprised by how much more need based scholarship you might qualify than the merit based scholarship promised by other schools.

*Source
Package Determinations
http://med.stanford.edu/md/mdhandbook/_jcr_content/main/panel_builder/panel_1/download_330907152/file.res/MD Handbook and Policy Manual 2018-19.pdf)
https://www.ps.columbia.edu/file/7812/download?token=4OUOt68H

**Formula to calculate both at Yale is incredibly forgiving. It is uncommon for other schools to expect the parents of the same student to pay $10-30k more per year than the amount requested by Yale

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Lol these Yale folks really tryna tease some premeds who are just waiting for the "Congratulations" email

Lol these Yale folks really tryna tease some premeds who are just waiting for the "Congratulations" email

Lmao every school is doing that. They get some sick twisted satisfaction out of it I’m convinced.

The mini heart attack with every email that is remotely med school related is real.

Honestly though, these changes to financial aid are great.

Reactions: 3 users
Could any current students speak to the parental contribution calculation? I know a few people have said that it’s generous, but I’m not really able to find specific information regarding. Thanks!

Could any current students speak to the parental contribution calculation? I know a few people have said that it’s generous, but I’m not really able to find specific information regarding. Thanks!

I have this same question too! Specifically, if your family makes under 35k a year, asking for a friend haha

From the YSM Med School Debt Email:
> We plan to release admissions decisions in early March and will notify you via email when decisions are made available.

Does this mean we could potentially hear before Mar 15? haha

My interview said late Feb/early March (back in September), so I would assume it's that first week in March, especially because that's what they've done in the past

I have this same question too! Specifically, if your family makes under 35k a year, asking for a friend haha
"A family whose total income is $125k or less is not assessed a parent contribution from income. Contributions for incomes from 125k-165k will be prorated."
This is all I could find on their website lol

Anyone know when the committee meets? I just sent a post-II update but wondering it's too late for them to see it before decisions are made...

"A family whose total income is $125k or less is not assessed a parent contribution from income. Contributions for incomes from 125k-165k will be prorated."
This is all I could find on their website lol

This is exactly my question, in that to what extent is it prorated, and for a family with a gross (or net?) income of >165k, what does financial aid look like?

Yes, but they've since revised it to early March in recent communications. I interviewed in the first week, so they were just very vague
There is a post on the second look thread that their second look is end of march, so they will have to get the decisions out early in March I would think. People do have to make travel arrangements.

Happy to answer questions about fin aid.

If your parents make less than $125k/year combined, then parental contribution is zero.

If they make more than that, the calculation of estimated parental contribution is done through a formula, which takes into consideration of many different things and need informations from you.

The formula is generous in general, but you should judge for yourself. It seems like a lot of work to get fin aid estimates, and the temptation is to go for schools with merit based aid, which seems much easier to understand. But your final need based scholarship amount at Yale might exceeds the merit based aid offered by other school.

Last edited:

If your parents make less than $125k/year combined, then parental contribution is zero.

After that, the calculation of estimated parental contribution is done through a formula, which takes into consideration of many different things and need informations from you.

The formula is generous in general, but you should judge for yourself. It seems like a lot of work to get fin aid estimates, and the temptation is to go for schools with merit based aid, which seems much easier to understand. But your final need based scholarship amount at Yale might exceeds the merit based aid offered by other school.
Is parent income reassessed each year? Asking for a friend who is borderline.

Is parent income reassessed each year? Asking for a friend who is borderline.
Yup! It's no different from any other school/program.
It's not a cliff after $125k, it gradually increase from $0.

After that, the calculation of estimated parental contribution is done through a formula, which takes into consideration of many different things and need informations from you.

Thank you for this offer!

1. Theoretically, is there any way that one would receive a financial aid offer to Yale that covers full tuition and COL? Or only full tuition?
2. Is the 15k mandatory(?) loan part of tuition?
3. Does Yale Financial Aid (excluding loans) cover any cost of living issues such as room and board, transportation, food, etc?
4. How does a dual-degree program work financial-aid-wise at Yale?