2019-2020 A.T. Still University (Kirksville, Missouri) ATSU-KCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
How receptive is Kirksville to OOS? This school is probably my #1. I have met many doctors from this school that work at a hospital I work at. What is the best way for me to make this known to them? One of the doctors that went to Kirksville is writing me a LOR and I expect it will be a good one since he and I really got along well. Anything else worth doing to try and get their attention? (Besides me GPA and MCAT of course).

Members don't see this ad :)
How receptive is Kirksville to OOS? This school is probably my #1. I have met many doctors from this school that work at a hospital I work at. What is the best way for me to make this known to them? One of the doctors that went to Kirksville is writing me a LOR and I expect it will be a good one since he and I really got along well. Anything else worth doing to try and get their attention? (Besides me GPA and MCAT of course).
Generally very receptive. If memory serves about half the class is from out of state. Shadowing with a primary care DO is sometimes prescribed to students before an interview is offered so about 24-48 hours of shadowing would not be a bad idea.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got a secondary, 6/19. Let's get it.

Also lol @ having to put in clinical experiences AGAIN smh

Is it acceptable to copy our descriptions of clinical experiences directly from AACOMAS?

Secondary received and submitted, so excited for this process and LOVE the mission here!

Anyone else verified earlier this month and hasn’t heard back? Verified 6/12, no news yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
When the essay section says "current occupation," what exactly do they mean by that? I currently work 3 jobs and will continue to do so over the summer, but they all have different titles/occupations. Any advice? Thanks :D

Is it acceptable to copy our descriptions of clinical experiences directly from AACOMAS?
Hi there! I will be starting here in July. I did not/would not just copy the descriptions exactly. I believe KCOM really values clinical experience and places a lot of importance on this section. I know it’s tedious, but I recommend adding in something different/changing some things for their secondary. They may be looking for some extra effort here (I’m not positive, just speculating), and if I remember correctly the rest of the secondary is pretty straight forward. I think it’s worth the extra time to give yourself the best shot at admission. I used my AACOMAS descriptions as a guide and added in a few more details or changed things that seemed to fit KCOMs mission more specifically. Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions!

Anyone else verified earlier this month and hasn’t heard back? Verified 6/12, no news yet.
Yes, I'm getting worried because I was verified on 6/4. I never even got emails saying they got my application from any of the schools I applied to. Did you?

Yes, I'm getting worried because I was verified on 6/4. I never even got emails saying they got my application from any of the schools I applied to. Did you?

I did get an email from ICOM that they received my app, so apparently it’s getting through to some places haha. Hopefully we’ll hear some more news this week!

Same boat here, haven't heard anything from any schools I've applied to so far, including here and ATSU Arizona

Verified 6/11 and secondary received 6/19. Good luck everyone!

On the secondary why are we adding our ACT and SAT scores? or can you just pick the not applicable box and move on?

Can any current/incoming students comment on KCOM's location?

I’m not a student, but I’m familiar with the area. I grew up in a small town in Missouri and Kirksville is small even for me. That being said, the students that I’ve worked with from there said it really builds a sense of camaraderie within the class. Plus low cost of living and not a ton to distract you from studying.

Reactions: 1 users
Received and submitted

Last edited:
Can someone please post the prompt for the secondary questions? Thank you

1. What particular qualities do you feel you can bring to KCOM? (Please limit your response to 500 words or less. All information provided in this section must be the original work of the applicant and not from another author.)

2. What specific experience/exposure have you had with osteopathic medicine? How has this influenced your decision to become an osteopathic physician? (Please limit your response to 500 words or less. All information provided in this section must be the original work of the applicant and not from another author.)

3. Please list any changes or updates to your AACOMAS application. This section may be left blank if your AACOMAS application is complete and accurate. (No character limit)

Secondary received around midnight PST today, submitted this evening.

"Please list any changes or updates to your AACOMAS application. This section may be left blank if your AACOMAS application is complete and accurate."

Can I use this as an opportunity to discuss a club I'm involved with founding this year at my university? My non-clinical volunteering is lacking, and that's a big part of what we are doing in this club. However, I also understand that because AACOMAS doesn't allow for projecting future hours they may not want that in this prompt.

"Please list any changes or updates to your AACOMAS application. This section may be left blank if your AACOMAS application is complete and accurate."

Can I use this as an opportunity to discuss a club I'm involved with founding this year at my university? My non-clinical volunteering is lacking, and that's a big part of what we are doing in this club. However, I also understand that because AACOMAS doesn't allow for projecting future hours they may not want that in this prompt.

Did you include founding this club in your primary app? If you didn’t, then write about it. Or are you saying you haven’t actually founded it yet? I wouldn’t write about something that you might do... talk about it at interviews

Did you include founding this club in your primary app? If you didn’t, then write about it. Or are you saying you haven’t actually founded it yet? I wouldn’t write about something that you might do... talk about it at interviews
We have written all the bylaws and gotten approval from our university, so I'd say we've founded it and just haven't had our first official meeting yet. I'll probably include it, thanks for the reply!

Got an email that my application is ready for review this morning. Submitted secondary on 6/20.

Is this question “. What specific experience/exposure have you had with osteopathic medicine? How has this influenced your decision to become an osteopathic physician? (Please limit your response to 500 words or less. All information provided in this section must be the original work of the applicant and not from another author.)”
Basically asking why DO?

Is this question “. What specific experience/exposure have you had with osteopathic medicine? How has this influenced your decision to become an osteopathic physician? (Please limit your response to 500 words or less. All information provided in this section must be the original work of the applicant and not from another author.)”
Basically asking why DO?

Why DO, but drawing your conclusions based on any exposure you've had to osteopathic medicine (e.g. shadowing a DO, scribing for one, having one as your doc, etc.).

In order to answer why you, should I talk about the qualities that will make me a successful physician/student?

Incoming OMS l starting in July, anyone feel free to ask questions! I received plenty of KCOM love and was non-trad, a little older and OOS.

Is anyone marked as complete yet? Submitted my secondary last week but it says they haven't received my recommendation letters yet even though I submitted the letters through AACOMAS and they were marked as received when I applied?

Is anyone marked as complete yet? Submitted my secondary last week but it says they haven't received my recommendation letters yet even though I submitted the letters through AACOMAS and they were marked as received when I applied?

I submitted my secondary on 6/20, and was marked complete on 6/24. I also had all my letters into AACOMAS by the time I filled their secondary. Probably won't take you much longer.

Submitted my secondary last week and got the email marking my app as complete yesterday!

I know this is almost a month late, but for people still getting secondaries and having the same question: I asked someone in the admissions office and they said I could just copy and paste. So, I did.

Does anyone know how strict this school is about the letterhead requirement for recommendations? My physician letter has a signature but has no letterhead, and she isn't responding to any of my emails :(

Does anyone know how strict this school is about the letterhead requirement for recommendations? My physician letter has a signature but has no letterhead, and she isn't responding to any of my emails :(

I don't know about ATSU in particular, but I strongly recommend getting them to re-submit with a proper letterhead. It's a pretty basic guideline for most schools, and many of them will not accept a letter without one.

2017 graduate here. I spend most of my time in the anesthesia forum so if you have any questions for me, tag me or quote me. I probably can't comment on too many specifics, but can answer some generic questions about the school and my experience.

2017 graduate here. I spend most of my time in the anesthesia forum so if you have any questions for me, tag me or quote me. I probably can't comment on too many specifics, but can answer some generic questions about the school and my experience.

Hey thank you for offering your expertise! How were the clinical rotations and living in Kirksville? Do you think KCOM prepared you for the boards?

Hey thank you for offering your expertise! How were the clinical rotations and living in Kirksville? Do you think KCOM prepared you for the boards?
1. Kirksville served its purpose for two years. Good to be in a small town without too much to do so it's easy to study. Great setup at the gym with intramurals and workout classes etc. Exceptionally cheap cost of living. IMO most of the town is a bit of a dump, cause people just don't take much care of their homes and things. The college (Truman state) and med school are what keep the city alive. I have no regrets.

I did my rotations in St Louis, they were great. Can't speak to rotations in kirksville.

2. Schools do not really prepare you for boards. YOU prepare you for boards! But the school gives you flexibility (lecture attendance not required with lectures recorded) to learn the way you learn best. But succeeding in that learning, that's on you.

Reactions: 3 users
1. Kirksville served its purpose for two years. Good to be in a small town without too much to do so it's easy to study. Great setup at the gym with intramurals and workout classes etc. Exceptionally cheap cost of living. IMO most of the town is a bit of a dump, cause people just don't take much care of their homes and things. The college (Truman state) and med school are what keep the city alive. I have no regrets.

I did my rotations in St Louis, they were great. Can't speak to rotations in kirksville.

2. Schools do not really prepare you for boards. YOU prepare you for boards! But the school gives you flexibility (lecture attendance not required with lectures recorded) to learn the way you learn best. But succeeding in that learning, that's on you.

Thank you for the honest reply. I appreciate the candidness, if I am fortunate enough to receive an II I will consider everything you listed.

I think the one thing this phenomenal is the choice of rotations and the history behind the school. Cheers!

Application placed on hold this morning.:(

• Sad