2019-2020 Alabama

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
UAB definitely favors in state. Because of the doctor shortage in AL, UAB prioritizes IS in hopes they’ll remain in AL to work. They’re pretty open about it.

Haha yeah I understand. As I said, I didn’t wholly trust what the rep told me in that regard. Still, I’m pretty sure they matriculated like 15% OOS right? I’d venture to say that they probably accepted more too, but that a lot of the OOS accepted students chose to go elsewhere.

Definitely not banking on this school, but I figured I’d apply cause I didn’t mind the secondary or the fee.
 
Haha yeah I understand. As I said, I didn’t wholly trust what the rep told me in that regard. Still, I’m pretty sure they matriculated like 15% OOS right? I’d venture to say that they probably accepted more too, but that a lot of the OOS accepted students chose to go elsewhere.

Definitely not banking on this school, but I figured I’d apply cause I didn’t mind the secondary or the fee.

Yeah, but that’s most state schools. The majority of people applying don’t have any ties. So to answer the original question, you have more of a tie to AL than most of the people applying OOS so shoot your shot. I just don’t think anyone can speak to how it will help your app.
 
Yeah, but that’s most state schools. The majority of people applying don’t have any ties. So to answer the original question, you have more of a tie to AL than most of the people applying OOS so shoot your shot. I just don’t think anyone can speak to how it will help your app.

Haha, fair enough. I'm by no means claiming to be some all-knowing SDN advice giver. I just know from threads that have asked what constitutes ties to a state, adcoms have said things like having been raised there. I'm assuming these same adcoms wouldn't see much substance in someone living there until they were two years old...but nonetheless it certainly can't hurt him/her
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
MD/PhD app still waiting. Since I'm bored I'm gonna ask it: what programs are MD/PhD applicants thinking about? I'm looking at Neuroscience/Computational Bioinformatics 🙂
 
MD/PhD app still waiting. Since I'm bored I'm gonna ask it: what programs are MD/PhD applicants thinking about? I'm looking at Neuroscience/Computational Bioinformatics 🙂

They’ve been silent so far this cycle since I submitted my secondary. I also applied neuroscience.

Has anyone that applied MSTP received interview invites here?
 
Just interviewed recently at the school and had an amazing experience at the school. The interviewer was very nice and conversational. All the staff and students make you feel very welcomed and you learn a lot about the school!
 
Just interviewed recently at the school and had an amazing experience at the school. The interviewer was very nice and conversational. All the staff and students make you feel very welcomed and you learn a lot about the school!

Were there many OOS students interviewing?
 
Just interviewed recently at the school and had an amazing experience at the school. The interviewer was very nice and conversational. All the staff and students make you feel very welcomed and you learn a lot about the school!
When was your secondary submitted?
 
Could you share some of the questions from your interview, if you did not have to sign a confidentiality agreement, in which case, I understand.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Could you share some of the questions from your interview, if you did not have to sign a confidentiality agreement, in which case, I understand.

Signed NDA for MMI but for the traditional interview my interviewer just asked questions about my application and experiences so it turned out being more of a dialogue than an interview. That made it a lot smoother.
 
What did the email say?
Was just an advertisement haha the subject line is what gave me an arrhythmia

1569437700098.png
 
congrats y'all! anyone who interviewed non-EDP remember when they said they would release decisions? I'm assuming the earliest would be October 15th but is that what they said?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anybody applying to MSTP been scheduled for November or December? Under review for three months now...
 
Has anybody applying to MSTP been scheduled for November or December? Under review for three months now...

I was invited 9/25 for their November dates. I submitted secondary on 7/26 if that helps.