2019-2020 Alabama

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There is one more interview for MSTP, I believe in January. I received my invite around 1 month before the date, so it probably won’t be until December that more go out (aka don’t lose hope)

Thanks for the info! Fingers crossed

Hey all. I received an interview as an OOS student with no ties. What do you think my chances of actually being accepted here are? Tickets are pretty expensive and don’t really want to accept if I’ll likely get waitlisted/rejected in the end with my no ties. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all. I received an interview as an OOS student with no ties. What do you think my chances of actually being accepted here are? Tickets are pretty expensive and don’t really want to accept if I’ll likely get waitlisted/rejected in the end with my no ties. Thanks!

If they offered you an interview, then take it. If you haven't been accepted anywhere else, then you should go.

Reactions: 1 user
I got accepted recently as an OOS student with no ties. Unless you already have an acceptance that you'd choose over this, then I'd recommend going. Based on their acceptance data, the hardest part as an OOS student is getting an interview (MSAR lists 4024 OOS apps with 175 interviewed), so you already made it through the hardest cutoff!

II super excited! wasn’t expecting this one being OOS

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats on the II!
I'd personally attend the interview but if you've already been accepted to a school/have multiple IIs to schools you'd more likely attend, then it's understandable to turn down the II. I'm in the same OOS II boat so I can definitely relate..these ticket/hotel prices are straight up disrespectful haha.

Does anyone know when adcom is meeting next? They have been quiet for two weeks now.

Does anyone know when adcom is meeting next? They have been quiet for two weeks now.
They said they’d meet again on 11/21

silence isn’t a bad thing though, they may be waiting to review more interviewees before sending decisions

silence isn’t a bad thing though, they may be waiting to review more interviewees before sending decisions
Thanks I must have missed this!

Members don't see this ad :)

Wait how do you know that? I know they’re already passed the first interview in October.

Wait how do you know that? I know they’re already passed the first interview in October.
I interviewed this month and they explained their selection process.

every time they meet They accept or reject students and waitlist decisions begin in March. If you haven’t heard backthen they are still reviewing you every time they meet. They also said after the interview two more people read your app

I interviewed this month and they explained their selection process.

every time they meet They accept or reject students and waitlist decisions begin in March. If you haven’t heard backthen they are still reviewing you every time they meet. They also said after the interview two more people read your app

Do you go to school at University of Alabama? If yes, how are the first two years? I've heard lots of people skip class and the focus is on the last two years.

Do you go to school at University of Alabama? If yes, how are the first two years? I've heard lots of people skip class and the focus is on the last two years.
I do not attend college in Alabama.

To answer your question, like a lot of medical schools most lectures are non-mandatory and made available online. First 2 years are pass fail, with last 2 being ranked.

Yeah, sorry if I was unclear! I’m a current applicant (not in medical school yet). I interviewed at UAB recently
Yeah - your status as a Med Student threw me for a loop.

Rejected this morning pre-II, complete 07/26. OOS pursuing rural medicine and applied PCT. Not surprised considering my stats were a little lower. Good luck to all those that apply.

How soon before the interview did MD/PhD applicants receive their II? I'm getting the feeling that I'm out of the running since their last interview is on December 3-5 (2 weeks) :/

How soon before the interview did MD/PhD applicants receive their II? I'm getting the feeling that I'm out of the running since their last interview is on December 3-5 (2 weeks) :/

Almost exactly a month before. When I was there, I recall them saying that there was an interview in January. Not sure if they misspoke or I misheard but definitely don’t give up hope

Almost exactly a month before. When I was there, I recall them saying that there was an interview in January. Not sure if they misspoke or I misheard but definitely don’t give up hope
Good to hear! Maybe their website only shows what has been scheduled so far, but what I see below was a bit worrying haha

I haven't heard anything yet, and you'd think they'd reject if they weren't going to interview someone.

1574350861649.png

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if AMCOM is finished making calls for this last meeting so no more until Dec 12th?

Last edited:
Good to hear! Maybe their website only shows what has been scheduled so far, but what I see below was a bit worrying haha

I haven't heard anything yet, and you'd think they'd reject if they weren't going to interview someone.

View attachment 286910
More dates are posted! I copied and pasted for ya -
Thursday, January 16, 2020

Friday, January 24, 2020

Thursday, January 30, 2020

Thursday, February 13, 2020

Thursday, February 20, 2020

Friday, February 28, 2020

More dates are posted! I copied and pasted for ya -
Thursday, January 16, 2020

Friday, January 24, 2020

Thursday, January 30, 2020

Thursday, February 13, 2020

Thursday, February 20, 2020

Friday, February 28, 2020

Is this for MSTP as well?

Last edited:
Gotcha. A previous poster (@james_harden13) mentioned an additional interview date in January, so at least it goes to show that not all of the dates on UAB's website are final.

If I may ask, how long did it take for you to receive the email that your application is in review?

It only took 3 days after secondary submission for the review email, but it took 2 months after that email until my interview invite

Gotcha. A previous poster (@james_harden13) mentioned an additional interview date in January, so at least it goes to show that not all of the dates on UAB's website are final.

If I may ask, how long did it take for you to receive the email that your application is in review?
I was under review 4 days after secondary submission and I'm still pending interview / pre-II R

Interesting, thanks. I definitely never got that email haha, just the "ready to be reviewed" one. Maybe I'll give them a call today

Anybody OOS that has not gotten an II but also has not been rejected... feel like i'm sitting in this weird limbo alone:lol:

Reactions: 4 users
Anybody OOS that has not gotten an II but also has not been rejected... feel like i'm sitting in this weird limbo alone:lol:
Same. I got an email after submitting the secondary that said my application was “ready for review”, but that’s all I’ve heard since then. This was at the end of July.

I think I hear crickets chirping in the forest. Next Adcom is 12/12 and those accepted are notified by phone call within 1-2 days of the Adcom meeting, so we should know by the end of Friday the 13th.