2019-2020 Alabama

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I find it odd that nobody has heard of anyone getting a call yet. I am sure they are going out... just odd.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
So I was bored at work and looked back at last years thread and last years twitter. I saw no signs of an R wave before final meeting. It appears likely that the next meeting will be for the waitlist rank, and after that there was a significant gap in their twitter (nothing from end of march until early may). I take this to mean that once the waitlist is set there isn't much movement until traffic day on April 30th. Good luck to all.

Reactions: 2 users
That’s so annoying. I’m so sick of waiting to know what will happen and what to do. There is still so much to take care of. Finances. A place to live. I️ rather find out already and know where I stand so I can move on with my life.
I agree completely and am as frustrated with the silence as anyone. However (from only lurking on other forums/threads on SDN) the process from pre-med to attending appears to have uncertainty and last minute major life decisions on every step of the path. Unfortunately this appears to simply be something to get used to until all training is complete. That doesn't make it right or wrong, it just is what it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah you’re right.
I agree completely and am as frustrated with the silence as anyone. However (from only lurking on other forums/threads on SDN) the process from pre-med to attending appears to have uncertainty and last minute major life decisions on every step of the path. Unfortunately this appears to simply be something to get used to until all training is complete. That doesn't make it right or wrong, it just is what it is.

Since it is nearing the end of business hours figured I’d check back in... anyone know if any calls today?

Since it is nearing the end of business hours figured I’d check back in... anyone know if any calls today?
I have not heard of any, but I am sure there was. If you haven't heard back in some form, I would expect a waitlist spot. I interviewed back in October and that is where my head is at.

They just tweeted again: “Our waitlists will be formed next week. We will notify remaining interviewees with one of three decisions: first tier waitlist, second tier waitlist, no longer under consideration. Watch your emails next week!”

Reactions: 1 user
They just tweeted again: “Our waitlists will be formed next week. We will notify remaining interviewees with one of three decisions: first tier waitlist, second tier waitlist, no longer under consideration. Watch your emails next week!”
I don't know if this was mentioned at everyone else's interview..but at mine (Feb 13th) it was stated that they "don't interview for waitlist." Basically they continue to interview even after they have filled the seats. They said that since they do this, it's really not likely that many people will come off the waitlist. She said about 10 students will come off the waitlist. Hate to be the bearer of bad news if you weren't aware..just felt it was only fair for everyone to know what's up. I'm kinda giving up on this school since I didn't get the call.

I may be misunderstanding you but I believe it is pretty standard practice to hold spots for direct acceptances for all interviews. This way exceptional candidates at all interview groups have essentially equal likelihood of gaining a direct acceptance. This make it to where February interviews are “not interviewing for waitlist” but the class is not necessarily filled yet. I agree at this point it is best to assume that no news = likely R, but maybe with slightly more hope than your post implies.

I may be misunderstanding you but I believe it is pretty standard practice to hold spots for direct acceptances for all interviews. This way exceptional candidates at all interview groups have essentially equal likelihood of gaining a direct acceptance. This make it to where February interviews are “not interviewing for waitlist” but the class is not necessarily filled yet. I agree at this point it is best to assume that no news = likely R, but maybe with slightly more hope than your post implies.
It's actually not standard. I have interviewed at several schools that stop accepting applicants once they've reached their seat amount. Everyone else gets waitlisted. So for a lot of schools, no one is accepted past December. Everyone is waitlisted until around April when students are forced to choose one school. I've noticed it's less common down south.. but I have interviewed at 2 schools that follow this policy. I was actually surprised when UAB mentioned that they don't do this. Schools do this in order to ensure that they don't end up "overaccepting." If school "A" accepted 300 students, assuming half of them won't attend...what happens the year when they all choose to attend? This has happened to several schools so they changed their policy to accepting only until the seat is full in order to prevent this. Sorry for the lengthy post. Just wanted to write from my experience.

It's actually not standard. I have interviewed at several schools that stop accepting applicants once they've reached their seat amount. Everyone else gets waitlisted. So for a lot of schools, no one is accepted past December. Everyone is waitlisted until around April when students are forced to choose one school. I've noticed it's less common down south.. but I have interviewed at 2 schools that follow this policy. I was actually surprised when UAB mentioned that they don't do this. Schools do this in order to ensure that they don't end up "overaccepting." If school "A" accepted 300 students, assuming half of them won't attend...what happens the year when they all choose to attend? This has happened to several schools so they changed their policy to accepting only until the seat is full in order to prevent this. Sorry for the lengthy post. Just wanted to write from my experience.
Wow, the more you know I guess. Thanks for the info.

So I got the call Thursday night super excited as this is the only MD acceptance I have received so far. Im OOS URM nontrad. 3.3 undgrad with good trend 4.0 masters from TAMU 506 mcat. Health educator, shadowing, research, volunteering experience. Primary care track.

What are the best areas to buy a condo or house that are about 15 or less from the school. And that would allow for me to get to campus without having to sit in bad traffic. Also if anyone knows any good realtors that would be a big help too.

So I got the call Thursday night super excited as this is the only MD acceptance I have received so far. Im OOS URM nontrad. 3.3 undgrad with good trend 4.0 masters from TAMU 506 mcat. Health educator, shadowing, research, volunteering experience. Primary care track.

What are the best areas to buy a condo or house that are about 15 or less from the school. And that would allow for me to get to campus without having to sit in bad traffic. Also if anyone knows any good realtors that would be a big help too.
Congrats! When did you interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
post-II R. ouch!

good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
2nd tier waitlist here as well. Considering they didn’t offer anyone off the 2nd tier last year, it’s really just feeling like an R. Good luck to everyone on 1st tier

Withdrew my acceptance. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
UABSOM Twitter: Waitlist applicants - we are starting to make a few offers from the first tier of our waitlist. We will call and follow up with an email. Hope you are all staying safe and healthy!

Accepted!! Just got the call.

Reactions: 4 users
any other waitlisted applicants receive an email asking if you're still interested this afternoon?

I didn't get a call, but just off the waitlist for MSTP. Was notified via email at 8:30am-ish! Good luck to everyone

I would think so. Their email made it sound like they were accepting off the WL as others were withdrawing.

any other waitlisted applicants receive an email asking if you're still interested this afternoon?
Yes, I did! I realized I hadn't accepted my waitlist offer, so I did that right after.

Has anyone who has been accepted received information on need based financial aid? I got merit aid with my acceptance but nothing else so far

Has anyone who has been accepted received information on need based financial aid? I got merit aid with my acceptance but nothing else so far
Havent heard anything about it. But I ask financial aid and they said if you got merit, you are less likely to get need because they want to spread funds as evenly as possible.

What about the schedule for classes - virtual vs. in person instruction and labs?

What about the schedule for classes - virtual vs. in person instruction and labs?

Schedule is different from day to day. I literally check my online schedule multiple times per day. Regular lecture is optional. Labs, small group meetings, etc. are mandatory. I imagine there will be some shake-up of format post-COVID. Remains to be seen exactly in what ways.

Given the resurgence and record number of COVID-19 infections the last 4 consecutive days, is UAB likely to consider suspending all in person instruction this fall 2020 semester? What are other med schools who are seeing spikes now stating?

Has anyone heard anything recently? Are second tier waitlist applicants still waiting?