2019-2020 Albert Einstein

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Albert Einstein College of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

TX resident interested in applying here OOS with 508 MCAT. Hispanic and fluent in Spanish with thousands of hours of clinical experience.

Do I have a chance here with my background or is my MCAT too low? I believe 509 is there 10th percentile.

Didn’t match TMDSAS last cycle, so I’m looking abroad now.

Can someone clarify the LOR requirement?

From their website:

"APPLICANTS WHO DO NOT HAVE A PRE-PROFESSIONAL ADVISORY COMMITTEE: Applicants who have attended a school at which there is no Pre-Professional Advisory Committee must have at least two letters of recommendation (an additional five may be submitted) from faculty members who have taught the applicant in the classroom setting. It is required that one of these letters be from a faculty member in the department of the applicant’s major, and the other from a science faculty member (2 science letters from 2 different faculty members in the same department are acceptable). Letters from teaching assistants will not satisfy this requirement, although TAs may co-sign letters with senior faculty.

ADDITIONAL LETTERS: Applicants are invited to include with their AMCAS letter packet one or two additional letters of recommendation from individuals with whom they have worked closely. These can be from faculty, employers, research mentors or volunteer directors. Applicants applying to the MSTP must submit two letters of reference from past research mentors. "

The first paragraph makes me think that 7 letters can be submitted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anybody receive secondaries from Albert Einstein for MD or MD/phd??

It's a series of yes or no questions, like did you take time off during undergrad, did you take a gap year, etc. If you have an answer that requires an explanation you get up to 3,000 characters to explain.

It's a series of yes or no questions

My favorite kind of secondary.

Guys, what do you think this means?
  • LETTER OF UNDERGRADUATE GOOD STANDING FOR POST BAC/ENHANCEMENT PROGRAM STUDENTS: Applicants whose post-baccalaureate, pre-professional advisor does not provide a statement regarding good standing (whether there is any disciplinary information in the student’s record that would impact his or her application to our school), at the undergraduate level, in their letter of recommendation, must request a letter from the Dean of Students or Registrar at their undergraduate college affirming good standing status; the letter should be uploaded to the AMCAS Letter Writer Application.
I am a nontrad career changer. Graduated with unrelated degree from X Private University back when Bush Jr. was still president; completed a DIY post bac at Y State University last year. Y State University doesn't have a pre-professional advisor/committee that writes letters for students.

Do I ask X Private University or Y State University for this letter? I tried emailing them, no dice. I'll call them up if we can't figure this out.

Reactions: 1 users
I have taken time off from school between high school and college.
I have taken time off from school during my undergraduate years.
I have taken at least a year off from school since college graduation.
I plan to take time off from school this year while I apply to medical school. (Answer “yes” if you are not a full-time student this year.)
I have taken and received credit for online science core courses (e.g. chemistry, biology, organic chemistry, physics and mathematics).
I have applied previously to medical school.
I have submitted an AMCAS application to Einstein previously.
I am/was a graduate student in the Sue Golding Division of Albert Einstein College of Medicine.
I was accepted to medical school previously but did not attend.
I was previously enrolled in medical school.
I can attest that I have fulfilled the Albert Einstein College of Medicine COMPETENCIES.
I will have a Baccalaureate Degree by the time I matriculate into medical school.
I am presently holding a deferral from another medical / graduate / professional school.
I have received a grade of "F" during my college/graduate school years.
I have received a grade of "D" during my college/graduate school years.
I have received a grade of "W" during my college/graduate school years.
I have received a grade of "I" during my college/graduate school years.
As an undergraduate, I transferred from one college to another.
I have been the recipient of a warning notice for a non-academic issue that did NOT result in a disciplinary action.
I have been subject to a disciplinary action and/or administrative action, expunged or not, while an undergraduate or graduate student.
I currently have disciplinary charges pending.
I have been prohibited or suspended from practicing in a professional capacity because of alleged misconduct.

Please tell us the year Parent/Guardian # 1 received their highest academic degree and the name of that degree. If high school or less, please write "high school or less."

Please tell us the year Parent/Guardian # 2 received their highest academic degree and the name of that degree. If high school or less, please write "high school or less."

Street, City, State and Zip Code of Address for Parent/Guardian # 1

Street, City, State and Zip Code of Address for Parent/Guardian # 2

If you were employed during the academic year, other than during winter and summer breaks, please write the number of hours you worked per week, and tell us what you did and why you were employed.

A bunch of questions about whether you have been involved with Einstein in the past, etc.

And then there's an optional "anything else?" essay (4000 character limit)

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
I plan to take time off from school this year while I apply to medical school. (Answer “yes” if you are not a full-time student this year.)
I have taken and received credit for online science core courses (e.g. chemistry, biology, organic chemistry, physics and mathematics).
I am/was a graduate student in the Sue Golding Division of Albert Einstein College of Medicine.
I can attest that I have fulfilled the Albert Einstein College of Medicine COMPETENCIES.
I will have a Baccalaureate Degree by the time I matriculate into medical school.
I am presently holding a deferral from another medical / graduate / professional school.
I have been the recipient of a warning notice for a non-academic issue that did NOT result in a disciplinary action.
I have been subject to a disciplinary action and/or administrative action, expunged or not, while an undergraduate or graduate student.
I have been prohibited or suspended from practicing in a professional capacity because of alleged misconduct.

Please tell us the year Parent/Guardian # 1 received their highest academic degree and the name of that degree. If high school or less, please write "high school or less."

Please tell us the year Parent/Guardian # 2 received their highest academic degree and the name of that degree. If high school or less, please write "high school or less."

If you were employed during the academic year, other than during winter and summer breaks, please write the number of hours you worked per week, and tell us what you did and why you were employed.

A bunch of questions about whether you have been involved with Einstein in the past, etc.

Awesome, thank you. It appears to be pretty similar to last years overall.

Reactions: 1 user
My favorite kind of secondary.

Guys, what do you think this means?
  • LETTER OF UNDERGRADUATE GOOD STANDING FOR POST BAC/ENHANCEMENT PROGRAM STUDENTS: Applicants whose post-baccalaureate, pre-professional advisor does not provide a statement regarding good standing (whether there is any disciplinary information in the student’s record that would impact his or her application to our school), at the undergraduate level, in their letter of recommendation, must request a letter from the Dean of Students or Registrar at their undergraduate college affirming good standing status; the letter should be uploaded to the AMCAS Letter Writer Application.
I am a nontrad career changer. Graduated with unrelated degree from X Private University back when Bush Jr. was still president; completed a DIY post bac at Y State University last year. Y State University doesn't have a pre-professional advisor/committee that writes letters for students.

Do I ask X Private University or Y State University for this letter? I tried emailing them, no dice. I'll call them up if we can't figure this out.

Thanks for the heads up on this one, looks like I will have to do the same thing. Let me know what their response is. I am assuming for Y State, as it seems to focus on the postbac / is more relevant. Kind of sucks that some schools waste a LOR slot for these school-specific items.

Members don't see this ad :)

I prewrote a lot of these but reading this list makes me feel like Einstein is super focused on people nearly straight out of college, not nontrads. On that question "if you were employed during the academic year", does that mean this last year or during undergrad? Because I have worked full time for the last 8 years and undergrad was so long ago that I do not remember the hours per week lol

I prewrote a lot of these but reading this list makes me feel like Einstein is super focused on people nearly straight out of college, not nontrads. On that question "if you were employed during the academic year", does that mean this last year or during undergrad? Because I have worked full time for the last 8 years and undergrad was so long ago that I do not remember the hours per week lol

I only included when I worked during undergrad, which was a long time ago for me, too.

Listen up, post-bacs, I've got the scoop on this letter requirement:

I called Einstein's admissions office and spoke to a lovely rep for clarification on this policy (she truly was one of the nicest/most helpful people I've spoken to in a long time). She said that, if nobody from your post-bac institution talked about your good standing at your ORIGINAL undergraduate institution in their LORs, you need to get that letter of good standing from your ORIGINAL undergrad, not the post-bac school. Guess they want to make sure you weren't a total lunatic in your youth :angelic:

I already checked with my OG UG, and they said this is actually a somewhat common request, and that it's easy to write something like this if you sign a FERPA release.

FYI, the department that provides this letter at my school is the Office of Student Affairs, not a dean or the registrar. You might get bounced around to a few places. I literally had to read the Einstein website to the person at the registrar before she knew where to transfer me.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Listen up, post-bacs, I've got the scoop on this letter requirement:

I called Einstein's admissions office and spoke to a lovely rep for clarification on this policy (she truly was one of the nicest/most helpful people I've spoken to in a long time). She said that, if nobody from your post-bac institution talked about your good standing at your ORIGINAL undergraduate institution in their LORs, you need to get that letter of good standing from your ORIGINAL undergrad, not the post-bac school. Guess they want to make sure you weren't a total lunatic in your youth :angelic:

I already checked with my OG UG, and they said this is actually a somewhat common request, and that it's easy to write something like this if you sign a FERPA release.

FYI, the department that provides this letter at my school is the Office of Student Affairs, not a dean or the registrar. You might get bounced around to a few places. I literally had to read the Einstein website to the person at the registrar before she knew where to transfer me.

Is this only for the post baccs. I graduated from my ug school this may. Applied for MD/phd havenot received any secondary invitation yet.

Is this only for the post baccs. I graduated from my ug school this may. Applied for MD/phd havenot received any secondary invitation yet.

My assumption was just post bacs, but I didn't pay attention to the instructions for recent grads. Best to search the website or give them a call.

"LETTER OF UNDERGRADUATE GOOD STANDING FOR POST BAC/ENHANCEMENT PROGRAM STUDENTS"

Seems like just postbac folks to me.

Just got an extra secondary, anyone want it? :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
It's a series of yes or no questions, like did you take time off during undergrad, did you take a gap year, etc. If you have an answer that requires an explanation you get up to 3,000 characters to explain.
Wow 3000 characters. Thanks for posting that here. I prewrote them assuming it was 100 words like in previous years but I think I'm gonna rewrite them now since my current essays are super condensed.

Does Einstein screen for secondaries? Still haven't gotten mine.

Hi all! I'm a current M2 at Einstein and check SDN fairly frequently so feel free to hit me up if you have any questions about the school and I'd be happy to answer.

To answer the questions above, fairly certain they don't screen for secondaries (at least, they didn't when I applied).

What does the "anything else" question pertain to exactly?

Is anyone having difficult with the payment method being declined despite trying multiple credit cards?

Reactions: 1 users
I answered yes to the gap year question but just explained why I took a gap year. I didn't go into what I was doing because I thought they just wanted a brief answer. Will this be okay?

I answered yes to the gap year question but just explained why I took a gap year. I didn't go into what I was doing because I thought they just wanted a brief answer. Will this be okay?

Yes.

Is there any way to check if your application is complete? Where do I check if my recommendation letters have been received?

1. I have taken off at least a year since college graduation
  2. I plan to take time off from school this year while I apply to medical school.
Do I need to answer both of these with different statements?

Last edited:
  1. I have applied to medical school previously
  2. I have submitted an AMCAS application to Einstein previously (Please keep in mind that if you completed two prior applications, you are ineligible for reapplication.)

2. I plan to take time off from school this year while I apply to medical school.

Not sure about the first situation, but to me the second situation question 1 is in the past (you already took a year or more off) so say what you did then, and question 2 is the 2019-2020 year, so say what you will be doing.

This might be me overthinking it but I had a similar question.

I interpreted the first one as if it is asking have you already taken a gap year. I just graduated in May so I haven't taken a year off since graduation yet. But is it asking about by the time I matriculate?

The second one confused me because it seems like it's asking if I will take time off from school that I am currently enrolled in. Like I graduated so I'm not "taking time off from school". I'm just done with it, you know?

What have other people answered for this? I don't know why I'm so confused

Not sure about the first situation, but to me the second situation question 1 is in the past (you already took a year or more off) so say what you did then, and question 2 is the 2019-2020 year, so say what you will be doing.
oh this pretty much answered my question

Is there any way to check if your application is complete? Where do I check if my recommendation letters have been received?
I don't see anywhere to check the status, or document statuses in the portal

does anybody know if they are strict about the letter of rec from your major? I thought I just had to get 2 science letters but I didn't get one from my major cause I was psych..