2019-2020 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow, I was accepted today!!
Congratulations! When did you interview? what’s your stats? And Did you hear anything in regards to the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know of students who are selling furniture/furniture sets? I don't have Facebook.

Sent from my SM-G965U using SDN mobile
Check the ACHE marketplace Facebook page. Students sell their stuff there all the time. Especially now while people are trying to move for rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
For any current students, would you recommend buying physical textbooks or using the ones provided online? On the facebook page, there are a lot of students selling their almost new physical copies, so I was just wondering if it worth it to invest in them.

For any current students, would you recommend buying physical textbooks or using the ones provided online? On the facebook page, there are a lot of students selling their almost new physical copies, so I was just wondering if it worth it to invest in them.

I like buying the review style type of books. I utilized the online textbooks a lot for my masters. The library has actual textbooks you can checkout if you want a hard copy.

I like buying the review style type of books. I utilized the online textbooks a lot for my masters. The library has actual textbooks you can checkout if you want a hard copy.

Could you please share examples of some of the “review style” books you found helpful?

Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you! I am leaning toward doing the same as well.

Bring these for first year:

1. Anatomy atlas. I like Thieme MUCH better than Netter. It's preference.
2. Dissection Guide-if you really want it
3. Review Books-if you want them
4. New laptop-don't take the risk of having your computer s***tting the bed during the semester, I promise you will cry if that happens. iPad is not the same, no matter how many people tell you. Get a tablet in addition to a computer if you really want one. Mac or PC is fine.
5. Anatomy scrubs and supplies they list for lab. You don't need the lab coat and honestly it just gets in the way and gets disgusting.
6. Business casual clothes including dress shirts, dress shoes, and ties for the men. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't be that scrub who shows up in tennis shoes and/or jeans to class. I've seen Dr. Parker stop students and ask them why he has to dress nicely and they don't. Faculty will trash you and your reputation.
7. Non-programmable scientific calculator
8. Big ziplock bags for your iPad/tablet for anatomy lab after hours. They tell you not to take it in there but everyone does it anyways. You can use the device through the baggy. Sorry anal-retentive rule followers.
9. Crappy sneakers to wear to anatomy lab. They will get full of juices and fat from the bodies. Bring something you can throw in a washing machine or hose off.
10. Antidepressants- you know.... it's med school. Your best friend will be a dead body for a semester.

Things to leave at home:

1. Your ego
2. Sense of entitlement
3. God complex- you likely won't be the best and you need to get comfortable with that. Everyone at ARCOM is brilliant in their own way.

Anything I'm missing, guys?

All of the books are free online or on loan at the library. Don't waste your money unless you really want a textbook. Don't overthink supplies either... likely what worked for you in undergrad will work for med school.

Edit: get first aid

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

4. New laptop-don't take the risk of having your computer s***tting the bed during the semester, I promise you will cry if that happens. iPad is not the same, no matter how many people tell you. Get a tablet in addition to a computer if you really want one. Mac or PC is fine.
5. Anatomy scrubs and supplies they list for lab. You don't need the lab coat and honestly it just gets in the way and gets disgusting.
6. Business casual clothes including dress shirts, dress shoes, and ties for the men. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't be that scrub who shows up in tennis shoes and/or jeans to class. I've seen Dr. Parker stop students and ask them why he has to dress nicely and they don't. Faculty will trash you and your reputation.
8. Big ziplock bags for your iPad/tablet for anatomy lab after hours. They tell you not to take it in there but everyone does it anyways. You can use the device through the baggy. Sorry anal-retentive rule followers.
9. Crappy sneakers to wear to anatomy lab. They will get full of juices and fat from the bodies. Bring something you can throw in a washing machine or hose off.
10. Antidepressants- you know.... it's med school. Your best friend will be a dead body for a semester.

Things to leave at home:

1. Your ego
2. Sense of entitlement
3. God complex- you likely won't be the best and you need to get comfortable with that. Everyone at ARCOM is brilliant in their own way.

All of the books are free online or on loan at the library. Don't waste your money unless you really want a textbook. Don't overthink supplies either... likely what worked for you in undergrad will work for med school.

Do you feel PDFs of each book are fine to use in Notability/OneNote for annotating purposes? I wasn't going to buy physical copies of anything except maybe the dissector. I was just planning on annotating with my iPad and pulling them up later on my desktop PC.

Things to leave at home:

1. Your ego
2. Sense of entitlement

Does it matter what color the scrubs are?

Do you feel PDFs of each book are fine to use in Notability/OneNote for annotating purposes? I wasn't going to buy physical copies of anything except maybe the dissector. I was just planning on annotating with my iPad and pulling them up later on my desktop PC.
Yeah

Does anyone know if ARCOM gives application feedback for waitlisted applicants? If so, is it too early to ask?

Does anyone know if ARCOM gives application feedback for waitlisted applicants? If so, is it too early to ask?

Yes they do, a friend of mine received feedback mid-cycle last year, improved their MCAT, and received acceptance this cycle. I don’t think it’s too early since DO application cycle for next year already opened up.

Anyone hear anything this past week? What are everyones thoughts? WL movement over? I'm starting to think so.. but am hoping not!

Reactions: 1 users
6. Business casual clothes including dress shirts, dress shoes, and ties for the men. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't be that scrub who shows up in tennis shoes and/or jeans to class. I've seen Dr. Parker stop students and ask them why he has to dress nicely and they don't. Faculty will trash you and your reputation
So glad I went to a school without a dress code. And if they are stickers for that that is more on the side of professional not business casual

So glad I went to a school without a dress code. And if they are stickers for that that is more on the side of professional not business casual

I actually like dressing up for class. They are very chill on the dress code. It’s not too hard to put on a blouse and pants.

I actually like dressing up for class. They are very chill on the dress code. It’s not too hard to put on a blouse and pants.
Honestly I rarely went to in person class unless it was a professor I really liked.

I feel like that's two different takes on the dress code though

Ain’t no one wearing a tie to class... I could walk off the golf course straight into class without a single person even caring. I have no idea what this person is talking about, no one is “trashing you and your reputation” at ARCOM.

Reactions: 3 users
Ain’t no one wearing a tie to class... I could walk off the golf course straight into class without a single person even caring. I have no idea what this person is talking about, no one is “trashing you and your reputation” at ARCOM.

Maybe my wording was a little extreme... it still don’t look good to show up in jeans though. I wouldn’t want to stand out.

Sorry if that was misleading

Last edited:
Got accepted 07/10/2020 after being on the waitlist! Super excited about this program. ARCOM was my first choice!

Reactions: 7 users
I've been accepted and will attend the MSB program. Any current/former ACHE and ARCOM students want to share advice for incoming students? Either about living in the area, classes such as anatomy (any outside resource that we should know about?), etc.

Good luck to everyone. I sincerely hope you all have a smooth transition to becoming doctors :)
hi, how long did it take since you interviewed before you received an acceptance?

Hey! I just got accepted into the ACHE Masters program and was wondering if anyone completed this program and how it was? I am interested in being a DO and have a couple decisiions to make regarding masters

Hey! I just got accepted into the ACHE Masters program and was wondering if anyone completed this program and how it was? I am interested in being a DO and have a couple decisiions to make regarding masters
The former MSB's have a huge advantage over fresh OMS1. Doing the MSB to OMS1 is the single biggest favor you could have done for yourself.