2019-2020 Arkansas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In years past, I want to say that "UAMS Medicine" on facebook has posted a picture on the day that letters go out. If that helps anyone.

Members don't see this ad.

In years past, I want to say that "UAMS Medicine" on facebook has posted a picture on the day that letters go out. If that helps anyone.
This is correct. Last year letters went out Friday, 22 February. Most of us had our letters by Monday. So yeah, you should know by the last week of this month.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone else starting to feel anxious/nervous? I'm really wishing I could re-do a few of my answers during the interview. I have a feeling these next 10 to 12 days are going to seem like an eternity.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else starting to feel anxious/nervous? I'm really wishing I could re-do a few of my answers during the interview. I have a feeling these next 10 to 12 days are going to seem like an eternity.
I definitely feel your pain! I got an early letter last month but waiting on the possibility of a December letter and then January was reallly tough. I know it's easy for me to say now and it's really hard not to constantly replay things in your head but: try to do some fun stuff, be productive, and enjoy yourself during the wait. I am pulling for y'all; good luck!!!

Final decisions were made today. There is a ton of processing that will take place next week. All letters will likely go out no later than next Friday, the 21st. Good luck all!

Reactions: 5 users
Lol, I did the same thing last month. I'm in Northeast Arkansas, about 2 hours from LR. My package was postmarked Jan 22 and arrived today. I believe they sent them on Wednesday, but how long it takes USPS to get it from LR to wherever in AR will vary. Good luck everybody!

Hi @willray98 -- did you have to sign for the letter? Thanks in advance!

Hi @willray98 -- did you have to sign for the letter? Thanks in advance!
No. It just came in a large envelope in regular mail. My understanding is that acceptance packages come in a big envelope because there's a crap load of papers in there, and rejection/waitlist letters come in a smaller envelope. If you get an acceptance package, it includes a form that you fill out, sign, and mail back to them saying you accept your acceptance or not. Also a form about your coat size for the white coat ceremony. So many papers. Good luck guys!

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone been able to see Arkansas on the AMCAS Choose Your Medical School Tool? I saw somewhere that you can see if a school accepts you before they contact you about the decision but I don’t know if that holds true for Arkansas.

Has anyone been able to see Arkansas on the AMCAS Choose Your Medical School Tool? I saw somewhere that you can see if a school accepts you before they contact you about the decision but I don’t know if that holds true for Arkansas.
I haven't seen it yet and have been checking it daily.

I was able to see and use the Choose your medical school thing yesterday, but I got my letter a month ago. The letter is the earliest indicator I got that I was accepted. It sucks, but just keep on keeping on guys; I am rooting for you!

I get an email each morning from USPS with my mail for that day scanned in so I can see what is coming. I didn’t have anything from UAMS in there today (large or small package). I only live about 10 minutes from campus, so if letters went out yesterday, I would expect something today. So, either I made a bad assumption that they would come USPS, somehow that package didn’t get scanned (which has happened before, but pretty rarely), or the letters are going out today instead of yesterday. Any other ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
There was a post on UAMS's Facebook about 10 minutes ago that they are now in the mail, so I'd say they went out today instead of yesterday. Perhaps people like @JustSomeRandomGuy who are relatively close to campus will get them today?

Reactions: 2 users
There was a post on UAMS's Facebook about 10 minutes ago that they are now in the mail, so I'd say they went out today instead of yesterday. Perhaps people like @JustSomeRandomGuy who are relatively close to campus will get them today?
The letters did go out yesterday, Thursday. You won't see anything about your status on AMCAS because the school has to do an "action" in the database before AMCAS is even advised. We used to wait until we expected letters to be received before we would commit that action. They won't advise you by phone either. Once in a great while, a letter might get "lost" in the mail. If UAMS COM doesn't hear back from you in an appropriate amount of time, they will contact you by phone usually to follow up with you. Wishing you all the best outcomes.

Reactions: 2 users
The letters did go out yesterday, Thursday. You won't see anything about your status on AMCAS because the school has to do an "action" in the database before AMCAS is even advised. We used to wait until we expected letters to be received before we would commit that action. They won't advise you by phone either. Once in a great while, a letter might get "lost" in the mail. If UAMS COM doesn't hear back from you in an appropriate amount of time, they will contact you by phone usually to follow up with you. Wishing you all the best outcomes.
It seems @CondorosaurusRex is an M2, and if you know @EducatedGuesser, you know she has the inside track, so if they say letters went out yesterday, I believe it. I feel sorry for all the mail carriers who are going to be bombarded on their routes today!

Accepted! Got my letter in the mail today. Best wishes to everyone still waiting! Letters are on their way!

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted! Got my letter in the mail today. Best wishes to everyone still waiting! Letters are on their way!
How far from LR do you live if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited:
I get an email each morning from USPS with my mail for that day scanned in so I can see what is coming. I didn’t have anything from UAMS in there today (large or small package). I only live about 10 minutes from campus, so if letters went out yesterday, I would expect something today. So, either I made a bad assumption that they would come USPS, somehow that package didn’t get scanned (which has happened before, but pretty rarely), or the letters are going out today instead of yesterday. Any other ideas?

I have informed delivery too! Do you think the letter will show up on there?

Accepted! Got the letter in the mail today.

Accepted today! I live in NWA currently but am from the 2nd congressional district. Good luck to everyone!

Accepted! Got my letter Saturday, and I’m from about three hours away in Tennessee

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted from Conway! Received my letter on Saturday

Reactions: 1 users
Caught that R today in NWA! A little curious on why I got rejected though lol I feel like my interview went as well as it could have gone.

Caught that R today in NWA! A little curious on why I got rejected though lol I feel like my interview went as well as it could have gone.
Not sure if this is helpful but I've heard Tom South say that in the past he has talked to rejected applicants about why they might have been rejected and how they could improve for a future cycle. Best wishes!

Not sure if this is helpful but I've heard Tom South say that in the past he has talked to rejected applicants about why they might have been rejected and how they could improve for a future cycle. Best wishes!

Thanks fam! I had some friends that were previously student interviewers that looked over my app and did mock interviews with me and said it was all good. Maybe UAMS just had some killer apps from NWA this year! Fortunately I was accepted to my top choice school, but the instate tuition would’ve made it a hard decision!

Congrats to everyone that got accepted!!

Thanks fam! I had some friends that were previously student interviewers that looked over my app and did mock interviews with me and said it was all good. Maybe UAMS just had some killer apps from NWA this year! Fortunately I was accepted to my top choice school, but the instate tuition would’ve made it a hard decision!

Congrats to everyone that got accepted!!
Glad you got your top choice!

Does anyone know how many students are placed on the alternate list?

Accepted! this was my top choice!

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks! And they don't release rank, correct? Has anyone ever tried to get an idea of where they fall on the list?
I don’t think they tell you where you fall, but if you agree to do primary care in rural AR they move you to the top of the list.

Same! OOS, but went to UARK undergrad and work as a med scribe in LR. Thought interview went good. Got the R. What happened?
Thankful to have home-state acceptance, but wanted to go here.

Last year there were 2,207 OOS apps and only around 90 got an interview. Of those 90, only 13 matriculated (and it is unknown how many were accepted).

OOS UAMS is very competitive, I’m happy you got in to your state program!!

I don’t think they tell you where you fall, but if you agree to do primary care in rural AR they move you to the top of the list.

Don’t do this unless you are serious about it.

I’m pretty sure there are serious penalties if you don’t hold up your end of the deal! Arkansas is in serious need of rural PCP’s!

Don’t do this unless you are serious about it.

I’m pretty sure there are serious penalties if you don’t hold up your end of the deal! Arkansas is in serious need of rural PCP’s!
Yes, I think you have to repay any loan forgiveness and can lose your license. It’s definitely not for everyone but is a great program if a person already has a desire to be a rural doctor. I’m just gonna take the L with those loans, but I applaud anybody who does rural med.

As letters trickle out I want to congratulate those who will be joining us in the fall. If you're anything like my class (2023), you'll all be increasingly anxious to see who you'll be training with these next four years. We'll have an official class FB page up soon, a link to which I'll post here when our Webmasters set it up. I say that because last year there was an imposter page that got our email addresses and spammed some of us for a good while.

As letters trickle out I want to congratulate those who will be joining us in the fall. If you're anything like my class (2023), you'll all be increasingly anxious to see who you'll be training with these next four years. We'll have an official class FB page up soon, a link to which I'll post here when our Webmasters set it up. I say that because last year there was an imposter page that got our email addresses and spammed some of us for a good while.

Do you recommend getting a Facebook to participate in this group? I deleted mine a few years ago and would rather not get one again...

UAMS posted on their Facebook that there will be no on-campus classes for medical students starting March 12.

It’s impossible to predict where things will be around August with the virus and policy/procedures around it, but I wonder how this may affect our class?

Was accepted off the waitlist today - OOS!

Does anyone know how many OOS WL positions there typically are? Or how much OOS WL movement typically occurs?