2022-2023 Arkansas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UAMS - the place where medicine lives and politics speak.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there a Facebook page for accepted students? I find it odd that there are only a few people on here that have said they were accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any more news from people today? Looks like NEA is struggling to get letters for some reason.

For those of you that have been Accepted, does UAMS pop up in your "Choose your medical school tool" on AMCAS?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is so nerve wracking, my letter was not in the mail AGAIN today! I’m hoping it will be tomorrow morning. I’m thinking it maybe got stuck in Memphis while transporting.

• Wow
My acceptance came in the rural practice scholarship package. Does this mean that my acceptance is contingent on the rural practice program or it's just a scholarship i can apply for?

My acceptance came in the rural practice scholarship package. Does this mean that my acceptance is contingent on the rural practice program or it's just a scholarship i can apply for?

I think everyone that was accepted gets the option to apply for that.

Reactions: 1 users
My letter finally came! I wasn’t straight up accepted, however, I did make the alternate list!! I have high hopes because UAMS let’s in usually around 80% of people on the alternate list!

Reactions: 2 users
R today, OOS. Oh well, guess I’m not headed to AR after all.

Good luck everyone :)

Any thoughts on Little Rock vs Fayetteville?
I think it largely is just your preference of location. But I do know Fayetteville has a few special opportunities that Little Rock does not. However, I personally want Little Rock for the location.

For those who have gotten an A, did you guys just fold the forms to put them in the envelope & mail back?

On informed delivery, it shows a white envelope from the school but also says there is something else that doesn't have an image. For those of you with an acceptance, did you get a small envelope and a bigger packet or just a big packet?

On informed delivery, it shows a white envelope from the school but also says there is something else that doesn't have an image. For those of you with an acceptance, did you get a small envelope and a bigger packet or just a big packet?
I only received a big packet.

For those who have gotten an A, did you guys just fold the forms to put them in the envelope & mail back?
To double check, there were only two forms that needed to be sent back in that envelope, correct?

Asking for a friend who is not on this forum, who I think I may have given incorrect info to: I was under the impression that Arkansas only accepted in-state applicants, and that there is not much of a point applying as OOS. Is this true? My friend is a bit of a US nomad who has lived all over the country for short-ish periods of time, and therefore they have no established state residency, so I think they are hoping to move and establish residency in a state where they want to attend medical school or where they have the highest chance of getting into medical school. They are trying to make a list of states that have schools that are very heavily in-state biased or only accept in-state applicants so they can think about which state to move to and settle down in next for a while.

To double check, there were only two forms that needed to be sent back in that envelope, correct?
Yes. I have some extra tuition waiver forms which they say to include them in as well but those aren’t the main ones (my envelope ended up so thick 😂)

Asking for a friend who is not on this forum, who I think I may have given incorrect info to: I was under the impression that Arkansas only accepted in-state applicants, and that there is not much of a point applying as OOS. Is this true? My friend is a bit of a US nomad who has lived all over the country for short-ish periods of time, and therefore they have no established state residency, so I think they are hoping to move and establish residency in a state where they want to attend medical school or where they have the highest chance of getting into medical school. They are trying to make a list of states that have schools that are very heavily in-state biased or only accept in-state applicants so they can think about which state to move to and settle down in next for a while.
UAMS has a capped amount of OOS students, favoring those with strong ties to the state (ie: family there, spouse there, etc etc) because they want you to practice in AR. The reason why someone may say there’s not much of a point to apply is bc they accept so few OOS, and bc if you can’t prove/explain your strong ties then the chance of being considered is pretty much nonexistent. Also, anyone can correct me if I’m wrong but I believe all IS applicants are offered an interview.

UAMS has a capped amount of OOS students, favoring those with strong ties to the state (ie: family there, spouse there, etc etc) because they want you to practice in AR. The reason why someone may say there’s not much of a point to apply is bc they accept so few OOS, and bc if you can’t prove/explain your strong ties then the chance of being considered is pretty much nonexistent. Also, anyone can correct me if I’m wrong but I believe all IS applicants are offered an interview.
Yes all IS applicants are offered interviews and OOS are invited with having strong ties.
Thanks for the info guys, will forward it along. Sometimes I also wish I had planned the few years leading up to my applying to medical schools more strategically, but oh well

Thanks for the info guys, will forward it along. Sometimes I also wish I had planned the few years leading up to my applying to medical schools more strategically, but oh well
I would recommend checking out the UAMS catalog. Here are some relevant portions which I've copied here:

"Each Arkansas resident applicant, who is a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident of the U.S., is personally interviewed by members of the College of Medicine faculty. [...] An applicant who indicates on the AMCAS application that he/ she is not an Arkansas resident, but advocates strong ties to Arkansas, must submit a letter by November 15 describing in detail strong ties to the state. It is strongly suggested that non‐Arkansas residents submit their AMCAS application to AMCAS well in advance of the November 1 deadline, i.e., September 30. [...] With regard to the interview of non‐Arkansas residents, the Admissions Committee will determine at its December meeting which non‐Arkansas residents will be extended an invitation to come to UAMS for faculty interviews. Email notification will be sent by December 20 to let non‐Arkansas residents know if they will be invited for an interview in early January."

"Arkansas law mandates the College of Medicine admit at least 150 students to the entering freshman class. Preference is given to Arkansas residents. Seventy percent (70%) of the first 150 enrollment positions must be equally distributed among the four federal Congressional Districts. The remaining 30% of the first 150 enrollment positions may be from any Congressional District or up to 15% of the first 150 allotted positions may be non‐Arkansas residents. Preference is given to non‐Arkansas residents who have “strong ties” to Arkansas."

So in one our documents for those accepted, we can click on "Plan to Enroll" on AMCAS. I'm not seeing this anywhere...

So in one our documents for those accepted, we can click on "Plan to Enroll" on AMCAS. I'm not seeing this anywhere...
It depends on whether the school has posted on your AMCAS portal yet

Hey y'all! Congrats to everyone that has been accepted here and elsewhere! I'm a current M1 on the Little Rock campus and am always down to procrastinate a little so if you have any questions about anything like campus choice just shoot me a message. I am also an out-of-state student if anyone has questions about OOS tuition stuff or anything else.

Hey y'all! Congrats to everyone that has been accepted here and elsewhere! I'm a current M1 on the Little Rock campus and am always down to procrastinate a little so if you have any questions about anything like campus choice just shoot me a message. I am also an out-of-state student if anyone has questions about OOS tuition stuff or anything else.
What made you choose LR and what was the adjustment period like? Also, do you qualify for (or know anyone who qualifies for) the IS tuition waiver?

What made you choose LR and what was the adjustment period like? Also, do you qualify for (or know anyone who qualifies for) the IS tuition waiver?
I chose the LR campus mostly because it was closer to family. There are also other things to consider such as NW not actually dissecting cadavers in anatomy. They have "plastinated specimens." I believe they have the option for a crash course dissection over the 1 week fall break though. As far as the actual lectures go, if you don't plan on attending class, I don't see how there is that much of a difference between the two. If you want to actually go to class just know all of the lectures are just streamed to NW like a zoom call. There are mandatory group Team Based Learning sessions that are very interactive and I imagine it has to get frustrating to NW students having to deal with trying to interact with the main class in LR with a lot of technical issues. I can't comment on years 3 and 4.
As far as adjustment, it didn't take long to fall in love with the city and the class. It seems like a lot of people say after anatomy and Molecules to Cells (ends in December) you start getting into the swing of things.
I did receive a waiver for out of state tuition. I didn't get the waiver until later in April though. I know at least a few people who also got the waiver. Considering how few OOS students there are, I would say your chances are pretty good!

I chose the LR campus mostly because it was closer to family. There are also other things to consider such as NW not actually dissecting cadavers in anatomy. They have "plastinated specimens." I believe they have the option for a crash course dissection over the 1 week fall break though. As far as the actual lectures go, if you don't plan on attending class, I don't see how there is that much of a difference between the two. If you want to actually go to class just know all of the lectures are just streamed to NW like a zoom call. There are mandatory group Team Based Learning sessions that are very interactive and I imagine it has to get frustrating to NW students having to deal with trying to interact with the main class in LR with a lot of technical issues. I can't comment on years 3 and 4.
As far as adjustment, it didn't take long to fall in love with the city and the class. It seems like a lot of people say after anatomy and Molecules to Cells (ends in December) you start getting into the swing of things.
I did receive a waiver for out of state tuition. I didn't get the waiver until later in April though. I know at least a few people who also got the waiver. Considering how few OOS students there are, I would say your chances are pretty good!
Thank you so much for your reply!

As far as I understand the school has traditional lectures correct? Are there recordings posted online afterward (or is it like if you miss lectures you’re gonna need to borrow someone’s note)?

Thank you so much for your reply!

As far as I understand the school has traditional lectures correct? Are there recordings posted online afterward (or is it like if you miss lectures you’re gonna need to borrow someone’s note)?
After anatomy (the first ten weeks) only the Practice of Medicine ( physical exam, interviewing, etc.) and Team Based learning groups are mandatory. I haven’t been to an actual lecture in MONTHS haha… They have the class in person as an option, but they are all also live streamed and recorded to go back at any time. Attendance is never taken for lecture. In general we only have to be on campus 2-3 days/week, usually 2-3 hours each. Wherever you choose to go, I highly recommend picking a school without mandatory attendance lol.

After anatomy (the first ten weeks) only the Practice of Medicine ( physical exam, interviewing, etc.) and Team Based learning groups are mandatory. I haven’t been to an actual lecture in MONTHS haha… They have the class in person as an option, but they are all also live streamed and recorded to go back at any time. Attendance is never taken for lecture. In general we only have to be on campus 2-3 days/week, usually 2-3 hours each. Wherever you choose to go, I highly recommend picking a school without mandatory attendance lol.
Do you know if the school provides or reimburse devices like iPads? I’m curious because I know some other schools do this for medical students.

Do you know if the school provides or reimburse devices like iPads? I’m curious because I know some other schools do this for medical students.
I’m not 100% sure if this applies to iPads, but at least for laptops and computers the financial aid office will increase your loan amount by whatever you payed for the item. So you’re not paying for it right now, but eventually you will lumped in with the rest of loans. As far as legit free stuff, I haven’t seen anything like that unfortunately lol.