2021-2022 Arkansas

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If it’s the big white envelope with MEDICINE on it, is that an A? My mom sent me pic and will wait until I get home for me to open it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m in SW Arkansas and received an alternate letter today. Also in a big white envelope with medicine on the side, but less thick than the acceptance package I would think.

Does anyone know if there’s anyway for us to find out where we fall on the alternate list?
 
I’m in SW Arkansas and received an alternate letter today. Also in a big white envelope with medicine on the side, but less thick than the acceptance package I would think.

Does anyone know if there’s anyway for us to find out where we fall on the alternate list?
UAMS does not reveal an applicant's ranking on the alternate list.
 
I’m in SW Arkansas and received an alternate letter today. Also in a big white envelope with medicine on the side, but less thick than the acceptance package I would think.

Does anyone know if there’s anyway for us to find out where we fall on the alternate list?
Sorry to hear… Would you mind sharing your stats?
 
I’m in SW Arkansas and received an alternate letter today. Also in a big white envelope with medicine on the side, but less thick than the acceptance package I would think.

Does anyone know if there’s anyway for us to find out where we fall on the alternate list?
I also got an alternate letter. Located in NWA
 
Congrats @bunnolover13 ! And, for those on alternate list, since more than 1/2 on the waitlist have made it in previously, hang in there!
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do the R letters just look like a plain envelope with UAMS on it? Asking for a friend 🥸
The R letters will arrive in a regular business size envelope. A packets are large with MEDICINE on the side and stuffed with lots of paper. The alternate letters are in the same large envelopes with MEDICINE on the side but typically only include a couple of sheets of paper. After a bit, alternates and Rs may call the office to schedule an appointment to discuss what they might do to strengthen their application should they decide to reapply. Always reapply but step it up!
 
Pls correct if wrong. Think of it this way: if 400 people apply instate, let’s guess 140-150 make it instate or more. Then 50-60 as alternates with 30-40 moving from list to A. Those are not bad odds to maintain hope, just saying
 
I live in Fayetteville (NWA) and I still haven't gotten my letter yet, should I be concerned? Because I am
 
I live in Fayetteville (NWA) and I still haven't gotten my letter yet, should I be concerned? Because I am
I think I remember reading in the past if you don’t receive your letter after a few weeks for whatever reason (wrong address, got lost in transit, etc.), that they would call you to make sure. But for peace of mind, definitely call the admissions office if you don’t get it in like two weeks
 
Pls correct if wrong. Think of it this way: if 400 people apply instate, let’s guess 140-150 make it instate or more. Then 50-60 as alternates with 30-40 moving from list to A. Those are not bad odds to maintain hope, just saying
30-40 applicants matriculating from the alternate list seems high to me. A few students may defer for a year and there may be a few students go OOS, but 30-40 seems way to high on an average year.
 
30-40 applicants matriculating from the alternate list seems high to me. A few students may defer for a year and there may be a few students go OOS, but 30-40 seems way to high on an average year.
I agree, probs atypically high, but based on previous cycles. However, this cycle may or may not be more competitive esp. factoring in MSPH and deferred folks
 
Pls correct if wrong. Think of it this way: if 400 people apply instate, let’s guess 140-150 make it instate or more. Then 50-60 as alternates with 30-40 moving from list to A. Those are not bad odds to maintain hope, just saying
I think way more apply than 400 in state lol
I think I remember reading in the past if you don’t receive your letter after a few weeks for whatever reason (wrong address, got lost in transit, etc.), that they would call you to make sure. But for peace of mind, definitely call the admissions office if you don’t get it in like two weeks
i just have an interview on Friday that I was gonna cancel if I got in to UAMS, just sucks still being in limbo when people much farther away in other states have gotten their letters 🙁
 
I think way more apply than 400 in state lol

i just have an interview on Friday that I was gonna cancel if I got in to UAMS, just sucks still being in limbo when people much farther away in other states have gotten their letters 🙁
The 400 instate applicants is most likely a good round number. It has been in the mid 300 range for several years and trending up.
 
Has anyone heard anything about the 2 year in LR/ 2 year in Fayetteville option? Opinions, comparisons, etc?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can you share with me as well? Have been waiting for a class FB page to show up but haven't seen one. Also, I was accepted in one of the earlier waves and am able to see/use the Choose Your Medical School.
I looked on fb and there is one. My friends need to add me to it so I don’t know link
 
Has there been waitlist movement yet?
The waitlist will remain 'frozen' until decisions are made regarding the Rural Practice Program. The date of that meeting should be included in the accept and alternate packets. Once applicants apply, the RP Board meets to decide who will be invited into the program. Once those RP applicants are offered seats, then regular movement on the alternate list can begin. So, it's still some time before all that is finalized. It's simply a hurry up and wait. No magic. No pushing. No shoving.
 
So maybe an early question here but, how do I apply for medical school loans? Which ones do I apply to and will they be through my bank (assuming there’s not a better one)? Will UAMS have an informational session on it?

Sorry for all the questions, I’m just looking at the cost of attendance stuff and slightly panicking😅
 
What do you think is likelihood of getting scholarships, depending on need? Merit?? Activities ????
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it safe to assume that, at least for M1 if we don’t designate nwa in any capacity, we would be moving to LR? Housing is getting hard to find.
 
Is it safe to assume that, at least for M1 if we don’t designate nwa in any capacity, we would be moving to LR? Housing is getting hard to find.
I think in one one of the meetings I remember them saying they would try to let us know by the middle of April.