2022-2023 Arkansas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator once the secondary prompt has been posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Is it worth applying to UAMS as an out of state applicant with ties to the state?

They only took 5 OS applicants last year.

My grandparents (my stepfather’s parents) live in AR and I’ve been traveling to the state 1-2 times a year for the past 12 years. My stepfather was born and raised in AR. Is this a good enough “connection to the state” to apply?

Is it worth applying to UAMS as an out of state applicant with ties to the state?

My grandparents (my stepfather’s parents) live in AR and I’ve been traveling to the state 1-2 times a year for the past 12 years. My stepfather was born and raised in AR. Is this a good enough “connection to the state” to apply?
I would contact the school's admission's department directly to get an idea of how they constitute "ties to the state." From what I saw on MSAR, they only accepted OOS applicants from neighboring states, so that seems to also play a role. I wouldn't want to waste my time and money if there wasn't a good chance I'd be considered.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Yes, that would constitute strong ties. Typically, the OSS students who are accepted have very high GPAs and MCAT scores and overall strong applications.

How many interview dates have there been now?

Not sure. From previous years threads there are usually 3 sessions to interview 300-400 in-state applicants. I’m not expecting to know anything till Feb.

any thoughts on if OOS II will be sent out today or if people will start hearing next week?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS II today at 3:30PM EST, LM 73, ORM, strong family ties to AR

I wonder how long the LOAs will take to make it to people that were sent yesterday.

1671320041531.png

I'm assuming it will be delivered before Christmas. Hopefully one or two of the recipients post when they get theirs.

Does anyone know the total instate applicant number this year?

They admit 160-180, so I like those odds.
They previous year's data is very clear. They admitted only 5 OOS and the rest of the class was composed of the top Arkansas applicants (about 42 percent acceptance rate). If you have an strong application that is above the listed averages for last year's class and you are within the top 38 of the applicants in your congressional district, you will get in (unless you did poorly in your interview).

OOS R with VERY strong ties to the state and school

• Care
There are 50 fewer Arkansas applicants this year than the previous two. Found the info on AAMC.

Pre-II R just now for OOS with ties. Good luck everyone else!

• Care
There were fewer applicants for the current M1 class than that of the 2021-2022 year. There are plenty of reapplicants as well as applicants for this 2023-2024 cycle, the final number which we’ll find out after incoming 2023 matriculation, I guess.

I personally know of 2 in-state accepted applicants.

That is the question. Probably early applicants who would be outstanding candidates historically in comparison with those from the same congressional district.

How do they decide who to send letters to in December?
This is from last years thread. It’s more dependent on when your file is complete.

UAMS technically does not have an "early decision" program. They simply review a small number (approx 25+) of highly qualified Arkansas applicants with complete applications in both December and January. UAMS does not have rolling admissions. There could be equally qualified applicants whose decisions are made in February but perhaps their file was not complete at the time of the earlier reviews. With the exception of those made offers in the two months noted, all applications will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee in February. Letters will be mailed at the same time to those who are offered positions, those on the alternate list, and those to whom they will not be making an offer. Remain hopeful.

This is from last years thread. It’s more dependent on when your file is complete.

UAMS technically does not have an "early decision" program. They simply review a small number (approx 25+) of highly qualified Arkansas applicants with complete applications in both December and January. UAMS does not have rolling admissions. There could be equally qualified applicants whose decisions are made in February but perhaps their file was not complete at the time of the earlier reviews. With the exception of those made offers in the two months noted, all applications will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee in February. Letters will be mailed at the same time to those who are offered positions, those on the alternate list, and those to whom they will not be making an offer. Remain hopeful.
Thank you for this! I was honestly very optimistic about receiving an A in the first round of things given where I'm from, but this clears things up a bit. It's a peculiar way to do things lol.