2021-2022 Arkansas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
UAMS COM does not include secondary essay questions with the exception of disadvantaged status and/or felony/misdemeanor, or letter of strong ties to Arkansas for the non-AR applicant. Plan to upload a pic. You will also be required to enter the courses you took to satisfy the pre-matrics. Should be an easy one day turn around. Relax.

Reactions: 1 user
If I have family ties to AR, would it be a good idea to submit an app to this school? I have been thinking about it and wondering if it's too late or not or if they are strong IS preference.

If I have family ties to AR, would it be a good idea to submit an app to this school? I have been thinking about it and wondering if it's too late or not or if they are strong IS preference.
UAMS has a strong IS preference. They give all IS applicants an interview and then will II OOS students in January. Most of their class is IS. They ask that all OOS students submit a "Strong Ties" letter with their secondary. I would consider how strong your ties are to the state because that's a huge factor in getting an OOS interview.

Yes, strong ties help in the selection to invite non-AR applicants to interview. Write a letter of strong ties and submit it. It is not too late. The ADCOM will make decisions as to which non-AR residents will be invited to interview in December.

Any current students in the thread that can speak about the school? I’m also curious if it’s true P/F without any rankings or if there is internal rankings that are given?

Hello all,
This is for the OOS applicants.. I am an OOS applicant. How many OOS are picked (My guess would probably be 10-15). Maybe I am wrong. Did you get any feedback on the supplemental? I guess we will know on DEC15th if we are picked for an interview. Would that be an email or phone call? Can you share your stats?

Small question: how do you send work updates, fall transcripts, etc. to update if we can?

This is for OOS. Will we know on DEC 15th if we are picked for an II or would it be a day or two after Dec 15? Do we know the number of seats they filled up through in-state applicants?

Members don't see this ad :)
Found out that we will likely know on December 15th if picked for interview (For OOS). LAst year they sent emails on DEC 15th.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know what the interview format/style is like? Is it an open or closed file? One on one or interviewed by a panel or group of faculty?

OOS II a few mins ago! They said we have to let them know by Dec 17th or else our spot will go to someone else

OOS II a few mins ago! They said we have to let them know by Dec 17th or else our spot will go to someone else
Congrats to OOS who got the II ! Can you please also share your stats (MCAT/GPA)? Good luck on II

OOS II @ 4:00 today! Extremely close ties to the state. LM: 78

Congrats to OOS who got the II ! Can you please also share your stats (MCAT/GPA)? Good luck on II
I am OOS and got II today and have 516 MCAT and 4.0 GPA. Also have extremely close ties to arkansas.

Reactions: 2 users
OOS II with strong ties to arkansas, 3.4 GPA and 506 MCAT lol

Is it only OOS interviewing in January? Or OOS + IS?

on january 15th it sounds like they are interviewing every OOS applicant they sent invites to and that day is exclusively for OOS

The January focus is typically on the OOS, however, IS students who were unable to interview earlier or any number of IS who couldn't be accommodated for any reason, usually more than the number of interviewers available, will also be interviewed this day. There is no difference in the approach of the interviewers in their evaluations. Best to each of you.

Does anyone know what the interview format/style is like? Is it an open or closed file? One on one or interviewed by a panel or group of faculty?
Closed file, very conversational, typically two interviewers per interviewee. Sometimes an M4 is included as an interviewer.

Reactions: 1 users
Those of you OOS who have emailed back to confirm your interview, have you received a reply?

Those of you OOS who have emailed back to confirm your interview, have you received a reply?
I was wondering this same thing. I replied yesterday afternoon and never got a confirmation email.

Is the interview that important since all instate students get one?
Yes, it is important in the holistic review of all applicant files. The interview will be considered along with all of the information in your file, MCAT, GPA, LORs, personal statement, 15 activities/experiences (including your three most meaningful), etc., to holistically select the class of 174. Be transparent, be comfortable in your own skin, reflect on your motivation for medicine, consider any adversity or challenges you have encountered and the lessons learned. You have likely answered many of the questions you will be asked within the content of your AMCAS, so be familiar with your application, but don't memorize it. Don't be afraid to laugh with them. Smile. Be yourself. Enjoy the process.

Closed file, very conversational, typically two interviewers per interviewee. Sometimes an M4 is included as an interviewer.
Is the interview that important since all instate students get one?
Yes, it is important in the holistic review of all applicant files. The interview will be considered along with all of the information in your file, MCAT, GPA, LORs, personal statement, 15 activities/experiences (including your three most meaningful), etc., to holistically select the class of 174. Be transparent, be comfortable in your own skin, reflect on your motivation for medicine, consider any adversity or challenges you have encountered and the lessons learned. You have likely answered many of the questions you will be asked within the content of your AMCAS, so be familiar with your application, but don't memorize it. Don't be afraid to laugh with them. Smile. Be yourself. Enjoy the process.

@EducatedGuesser

Thanks for your input. Will, there be any more OOS picked for an interview, or is it pretty much done for the rest of the OOS applicants?
Typically, email invitations are sent on the same day. As some applicants might decline the invitation to interview, an email may be sent to fill that interview slot. So, it can take several days to complete this task.

my friend doesn't have SDN but wanted me to notify that he got the A today. In state. Received via packet in mail

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Caught the pre-II R yesterday, OOS complete mid August. Good luck everyone and happy holidays 😊

my friend doesn't have SDN but wanted me to notify that he got the A today. In state. Received via packet in mail
Hello, would you happen to have his stats/LM to get an idea of what was accepted early? Thank you and congrats on great cycle!

Hello, would you happen to have his stats/LM to get an idea of what was accepted early? Thank you and congrats on great cycle!
My friend has a 510+ MCAT, solid GPA. Idk the exact numbers

Wait, there are actually more IS applicants who could not be interviewed on the IS days? So they will be interviewed next week with the OOS, I guess.

Does anyone know if the oos interviews are going to be In a group format? I know there will be 2-3 interviewers but will there be other interviewees with us during the interview? Thanks.

Does anyone know if the oos interviews are going to be In a group format? I know there will be 2-3 interviewers but will there be other interviewees with us during the interview? Thanks.
Interviews for in state were not in group format. I had 2 interviewers but no other interviewees with me. I assume it would be consistent for OOS.

Interviews for in state were not in group format. I had 2 interviewers but no other interviewees with me. I assume it would be consistent for OOS.
Thanks! I just didnt know with there being so many interviewees on one day lol.

The interviews for the OSS applicants are conducted exactly the same as those for the ISS. There are three sections: orientation as a group; the individual interview; and a discussion that will include current students. Enjoy the process.

Are they sending the next round of golden tickets this week?

Are they sending the next round of golden tickets this week?
Based on last year's thread, I would anticipate the next wave of acceptances to go out the week of January 24th through 28th, but I could be wrong. Last year it looks like they went out around the 25th of January. Hope that helps!

Hi all, not a current applicant but hoping to get a head start by asking y'all. UAMS is currently my top choice school, for both academic and personal/family reasons (it's somewhere I'd like to live long term) but I am not an Arkansas resident. Currently active duty military. Likely to ETS around 2026 and that is my planned application cycle. I know that UAMS strongly prefers in-state students and as far as I can tell, residents automatically get an interview. If I move to the state and put in an application 4 months later, is that too soon to demonstrate residency/strong ties? Is there anything I can do in the next few years to make the "strong ties" part of my application stronger? I live in TX for context.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this question!