-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 Brown (Alpert)
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
D
deleted688779
Interview invite just now. OOS and non-alum
Available dates are quite restricted (compared to other schools). I'm wondering what time interview day ends
Available dates are quite restricted (compared to other schools). I'm wondering what time interview day ends
So awesome!!! Congrats! Do you mind me asking when you were you complete?Interview invite just now. OOS and non-alum
Available dates are quite restricted (compared to other schools). I'm wondering what time interview day ends
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
YEEEESSSSInterview invite just now. OOS and non-alum
Available dates are quite restricted (compared to other schools). I'm wondering what time interview day ends
congrats!!
D
deleted688779
So awesome!!! Congrats! Do you mind me asking when you were you complete?
Complete 7/7
YEEEESSSScongrats!!
Thanks!!
It’s 10am - 4pm if that helps you pick a day!Interview invite just now. OOS and non-alum
Available dates are quite restricted (compared to other schools). I'm wondering what time interview day ends
D
deleted688779
It’s 10am - 4pm if that helps you pick a day!
Thanks! I needed to schedule my flights
Just clarifying that alum doesn't matter for Alpert. The PLME program is a BS/MD so they don't get interviewed during the application cycle.
II!!!!
II!!!!
Congrats! when were you complete?
Congrats! when were you complete?
7/10
D
deleted971841
Anyone else suddenly not able to log into the portal today? Looks like the login screen has changed from the one I bookmarked, it autodirected to a new one, and now gives a "Login Unsuccessful" error.
Haha—I’ve had the same problem since the beginning! Just keep refreshing and pasting the link into the browser and logging in a bajillion times, and eventually you’ll get to the portalAnyone else suddenly not able to log into the portal today? Looks like the login screen has changed from the one I bookmarked, it autodirected to a new one, and now gives a "Login Unsuccessful" error.
D
deleted971841
Good lord that's inconvenient, annoying, and any other word along those lines. I gave up after 3 tries, was like "alright cool on to check the next one."Haha—I’ve had the same problem since the beginning! Just keep refreshing and pasting the link into the browser and logging in a bajillion times, and eventually you’ll get to the portal![]()
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Having trouble writing 3000 characters about a future I definitely have not made any serious decisions about other than wanting to practice medicine with a few specialty interests. Should I just make up a scenario that sounds interesting? I feel like it’s naive to talk about a specific scenario because it obviously changes for 95% (or more) of people. But how else is one supposed to get 3000 characters?
I wrote closer to 2000-2500 characters and I talked about my interests in academic medicine and certain causes that are important to me that I hope to continue working with and advocating for. I implied one specialty that I am interested in, but only because I have significant work experience in the field. It can be as general as you'd like. However, medical schools aren't naive, they know that 80% of students will change their intended specialty by the time they apply for residencies, so if you mention a specialty, back it up, but don't worry about it too much.
II just now!!! OOS, LM ~70
Congrats! When were you complete?II just now!!! OOS, LM ~70
Congrats! When were you complete?
Complete on 7/13!
Apparently mine was "lost" and they are resending. You may want to email them ASAP!
How long does their verification typically take? Do most people receive secondaries immediately, or do they pre-screen? Not sure if it's worth calling for a secondary if it's only been ~1 week.
I don't think they screen. It took around a week or so for me to get mine, so don't worry! It should come any day. It went into my primary gmail inbox, but check your junk/spam just in case.How long does their verification typically take? Do most people receive secondaries immediately, or do they pre-screen? Not sure if it's worth calling for a secondary if it's only been ~1 week.
I can't speak to their curriculum, but if you check MSAR, about 11% of their class goes into FM which is higher than any similar program I could find (Dartmouth is 1% and USC is 8). On the other hand, only 15% go into IM, compared with 20-30+ for similar schools. Seems like they produce more family medicine docs for some reasonIs Brown very interested in primary care over specialties, such as Oncology since there is no clinical dept for that?
Their professors might be under Dept of MedicineIs Brown very interested in primary care over specialties, such as Oncology since there is no clinical dept for that?
Current M1 here. Brown emphasizes a broader, health systems approach earlier in the curriculum than most schools and integrates it throughout the 4 years. Either this attracts potential FM docs early on or converts people after they start. There's also a joint MD-MS program specifically for students interested in primary care fields. That said, there is plenty of research / scholarly work in every field, definitely including oncology: Department of Medicine - Alpert Medical SchoolIs Brown very interested in primary care over specialties, such as Oncology since there is no clinical dept for that?
gemcattini
Full Member
Thank you so much for this info! Could you also elaborate on a health systems approach so I can get a better idea? Thank you!
Since it says that we're restricted to two application updates, I think that the intended use is only for updates, so nothing to worry about now. 🙂The additional documents/upload portal on their website is only for updates (and not for anything else when we submit our secondary)
Is that correct?
tiny turtle
Full Member
On the Brown website, it says ~40% of the class is accepted from PLME. If there are any Brown med students or alum on this thread - out of curiosity, is there ever a sense of cliqueness or lack of intermixing between PLME and non-PLME students? I'm just wondering since maybe/probably the PLME students have known each other for years and are more likely to stick together
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Disclaimer: I'm not an Alpert student.On the Brown website, it says ~40% of the class is accepted from PLME. If there are any Brown med students or alum on this thread - out of curiosity, is there ever a sense of cliqueness or lack of intermixing between PLME and non-PLME students? I'm just wondering since maybe/probably the PLME students have known each other for years and are more likely to stick together
But, hypothetically, if I were a Brown UG student, I might guess that PLME students have a close community due to all the PLME-specific events throughout UG. Also hypothetically, Brown in general might have a reputation of being cliquey, which I may hypothetically be able to corroborate through first-hand experience. Hypothetically, I would know several PLMEs and get along with them well as a normal premed. Furthermore, the Brown undergraduate experience is unique (and hypothetically even more so for PLMEs compared to traditional pre-meds) due to Brown's Open Curriculum and academic structure, so PLME students would have a shared culture of the four years together in this super weird place. A final hypothetical: PLME students can also be sociable and motivated to meet new people — I wouldn't think it's very different from med students from the same alma mater sticking together. Because of this, you'll see PLMEs who studied the coolest subjects in undergrad — contemplative studies, ethnic studies, gender studies, anything. They're open-minded and smart individuals, and if you make an effort to meet them, I'm sure you'll be able to get along with them 🙂
Hopefully at that point they won't come up to you and say "btw I'm PLME".
that's a meme here if you didn't know. if you show them you know about this, you'll be instantly recognized as a brunonian and be immediately accepted into their tribe
Last edited:
On the Brown website, it says ~40% of the class is accepted from PLME. If there are any Brown med students or alum on this thread - out of curiosity, is there ever a sense of cliqueness or lack of intermixing between PLME and non-PLME students? I'm just wondering since maybe/probably the PLME students have known each other for years and are more likely to stick together
I'm not a Brown student so I can't speak to the reality, but I would guess that after 4 years with some of the same people, the PLME students would be excited to meet new students. At least, I am always excited when I get the chance to expand my circle of peers!
Hello! I'm an M1, non-PLME, here to tell you that there is lots of intermixing between PLME and non-PLME students. Several PLME students take 0, 1, or 2 gap years so a lot of them weren't in the same undergrad class and thus are meeting for the first time as well.On the Brown website, it says ~40% of the class is accepted from PLME. If there are any Brown med students or alum on this thread - out of curiosity, is there ever a sense of cliqueness or lack of intermixing between PLME and non-PLME students? I'm just wondering since maybe/probably the PLME students have known each other for years and are more likely to stick together
OOS and non alum here. I notice brown has a consistently reported post-II acceptance rate of 80%+. Is this legit? Why?
According to data from US World News, Alpert once interviewed 389 applicants and accepted 278, matriculating 143. This is 71%.OOS and non alum here. I notice brown has a consistently reported post-II acceptance rate of 80%+. Is this legit? Why?
I am not entirely sure of how PLME data is reported, but they are definitely part of the matriculant and accepted numbers. Considering that PLME takes about 60 students, you can remove 60 from both of the latter two numbers. Consider accepting 220 out of 389 interviewees (57% effective acceptance rate), or 220 out of 329 interviewees exclusive of PLME, (67% effective acceptance rate)
What's also true is that Alpert simply interviews very few applicants in comparison to other schools. I never applied to PLME, so I cannot comment specifically on that, but I know that PLME does not conduct interviews for applicants, other than the general Brown alumni interview. This suggests that none of the 389 interviewees were PLME students, giving a more moderate acceptance rate of 57%.
Compare UVA, a similarly ranked medical school which has a 68% post-interview acceptance rate. 57% is now not as extreme.
II just now!! complete 8/16
wikidoctor
Full Member
II! 3 dates in early October. Completed 7/19 so it's not over for earlier people!!
D
deleted783578
II as well! So excited for this school
II just now-- does anyone know how to tell if it's an interview for the combined MD-ScM program or just MD? I applied to the ScM program too but can't tell if the II is for one or both?
D
deleted783578
Same here! When you fill out the secondary it says that you’re considered for ScM only after you’ve been accepted to MD. I do wonder if the MD interviewers will have read my ScM essays thoughII just now-- does anyone know how to tell if it's an interview for the combined MD-ScM program or just MD? I applied to the ScM program too but can't tell if the II is for one or both?
Congrats! Complete date?II just now-- does anyone know how to tell if it's an interview for the combined MD-ScM program or just MD? I applied to the ScM program too but can't tell if the II is for one or both?
Same here! When you fill out the secondary it says that you’re considered for ScM only after you’ve been accepted to MD. I do wonder if the MD interviewers will have read my ScM essays though
Haha whoops, just emailed them asking. Good to know!
They have a program connected to their undergrad, so they take less people.Why does brown have one of the lowest acceptance rates?
I interviewed here and it made me love the school. This was honestly my last choice going in and the interview day rocketed it WAY past some higher ranked schools like UCSF and Wash U for me. Very excited to hear back.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
doctor1000
Full Member
Having trouble logging into the portal here. Does brown send IIs by email or does it just appear in the portal?
Try a different browser. The Brown site is really temperamental! Chrome seems best.Having trouble logging into the portal here. Does brown send IIs by email or does it just appear in the portal?
Anyone have any idea why Brown has such a high Post-II acceptance rate?
83/71 percent for IS/OOSwhat is it?
D
deleted987519
Anyone have any idea why Brown has such a high Post-II acceptance rate?
I wonder if they interview the BS/MD students as a formality and that is factored in?