2019-2020 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If it makes it easier, the 20% that did not make it to match day can be roughly split into 10% dropped out and 10% now in the class behind.
Not beautiful or good but not shocking from a new medical school.

That being said keep BCOM honest and keep a strong watchful eye on them in the next years, that 10% should go down by half at least. Monitor all new schools like this.

The school is closely affiliated with two ACGME teaching hospitals in Las Cruces, closely affiliated with NMSU and their research facilities and have just built their own research building. The resources to succeed are there, it isn’t perfect but there is little excuse for any student to not do well. Just look at the places where the students matched.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
One of the issues with SDN (it has many pros) is that many hide behind a fake username and avatar. I am a graduating senior.

I don’t know the exact numbers but as a student I can say about 10-15 of the original 162 dropped out or failed out. Another 5-10 are repeating as third years (For various reasons including academic, personal, health, etc.). 3-5 are doing research years in Ortho, Derm, etc. 5-10 did military match and 2 did urology/ophtho match.

If you take the those people out you you are left with around 132 people who applied NRMP and somewhere in mid 120s matched (Around a 95% match rate).

Of those that did match, the match list was outstanding and is posted in the 2020 match list thread.

BCOM opened themselves up to this type of thread by not communicating the 120 or so matching number holistically. Assuming they will appropriately report the whole picture with context over Summer.

Retaining a third of the class in the catchment area will hopefully improve but is already more than what UNM and Texas Tech (both outstanding institutions).

Again, (roughly)
you started with 162, you had 10-15 drop out or fail out (6-10% attrition).

you had 5-10 repeating as third years (3-6%) - these people will likely graduate next year and match.

you have 3-5 doing research years (1-3%) - these people will likely graduate and match.

you had 5-12 matching in other matches outside of NRMP (3-7%)

then you have around 125/132 NRMP match rate (95%).

From someone that spent the last four years in national leadership, on COCA committees and AOA taskforces I humbly believe I have a valuable perspective to offer. The only numbers that REALLY matter are the following

6-10% attrition rate, 95% NRMP match rate.

again above numbers are estimates but close to the actual numbers. They aren’t great but not unexpected from a new school.

Take the BCOM acceptance if you have it but obviously weigh your options if you have multiple offers. There are some with personal vendettas that are offering poor advice here that can and will ruin people’s future.

Thank you for the clarification. Just a quick question regarding the information presented on the website. Why is it that there are only about 80 students listed on the YouTube video for the match results? Why would the remainder of the students on the match not be shown there? Not trying to be nitpicky - I actually am admitted and enjoyed interview day. Just trying to get some clarification.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the clarification. Just a quick question regarding the information presented on the website. Why is it that there are only about 80 students listed on the YouTube video for the match results? Why would the remainder of the students on the match not be shown there? Not trying to be nitpicky - I actually am admitted and enjoyed interview day. Just trying to get some clarification.

Great question, many students opted out of the public match video, including an anesthesia, em and obgyn match. They opted out for personal reasons.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just watched it, I am much more interested in the twin sisters going through med school together :D

One of the issues with SDN (it has many pros) is that many hide behind a fake username and avatar. I am a graduating senior.

I don’t know the exact numbers but as a student I can say about 10-15 of the original 162 dropped out or failed out. Another 5-10 are repeating as third years (For various reasons including academic, personal, health, etc.). 3-5 are doing research years in Ortho, Derm, etc. 5-10 did military match and 2 did urology/ophtho match.

If you take the those people out you you are left with around 132 people who applied NRMP and somewhere in mid 120s matched (Around a 95% match rate).

Of those that did match, the match list was outstanding and is posted in the 2020 match list thread.

BCOM opened themselves up to this type of thread by not communicating the 120 or so matching number holistically. Assuming they will appropriately report the whole picture with context over Summer.

Retaining a third of the class in the catchment area will hopefully improve but is already more than what UNM and Texas Tech (both outstanding institutions).

Again, (roughly)
you started with 162, you had 10-15 drop out or fail out (6-10% attrition).

you had 5-10 repeating as third years (3-6%) - these people will likely graduate next year and match.

you have 3-5 doing research years (1-3%) - these people will likely graduate and match.

you had 5-12 matching in other matches outside of NRMP (3-7%)

then you have around 125/132 NRMP match rate (95%).

From someone that spent the last four years in national leadership, on COCA committees and AOA taskforces I humbly believe I have a valuable perspective to offer. The only numbers that REALLY matter are the following

6-10% attrition rate, 95% NRMP match rate.

again above numbers are estimates but close to the actual numbers. They aren’t great but not unexpected from a new school.

Take the BCOM acceptance if you have it but obviously weigh your options if you have multiple offers. There are some with personal vendettas that are offering poor advice here that can and will ruin people’s future.

EDIT: The attrition rate is probably closer to 10%, not good but not shocking for new school.
So just for clarification, you'd want the attrition rate to be less than 5% and the residency match rate to be greater than 95%?

Great question, many students opted out of the public match video, including an anesthesia, em and obgyn match. They opted out for personal reasons.
Thanks for all the help. If anything else pops up I'll make sure to post!

So just for clarification, you'd want the attrition rate to be less than 5% and the residency match rate to be greater than 95%?

I believe all US medical schools MD/DO should have no more than a 3-7% attrition rate over a three year rolling average and the residency placement (not match) should be at/above 97% nationwide.

My approach is more lenient with new schools but they should all get it together after 4-5 years.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi! I’m seeing a lot of really negative comments and it’s kinda dissapointing and taking away from the hard work and excitement of the class of 2024. I understand wanting to discuss the match results but maybe do it in a more productive and useful way? If you don’t want to go here then DON’T and stop discouraging others. Be mindful of all of the excited students reading these messages and not loving to see “if you only get accepted here you might as well apply to other schools next year”. Being accepted here is a privilege and something to be celebrated. Thanks!

• Haha
Reactions: 17 users
The numbers do not matter to me because I am not a BCOM student. However, BCOM students should know that a big chunk of their tuition money is going to pay off bondholders/investors. I also understand how it is cheaper to hire part-time faculty than to spend more money to hire full-time faculty. BCOM needs to keep up those 18-20% per year profit margins per the old dean.
Here is an article:
Mychaskiw, the former Burrell school dean, told me that the key to avoiding the hazards of for-profit education is to involve mission-oriented investors who are not too greedy. While most venture investors seek returns of 40 percent or more per year, mission-oriented investors such as Dan Burrell or Rice University, he said, are willing to accept lower returns, on the order of 18 or 20 percent per year. With his experience and contacts, Mychaskiw said he was looking to forge new deals similar to those that created the Burrell and Idaho medical schools. Morgan State University, a historically black school in Maryland, recently announced that it is formally working with Mychaskiw’s team on the idea.

P.S. I sure wish I was getting 18-20% per year returns on my money market account.

same issue with Ponce and CalNorthstate on MD side and RVU and CHSU on DO side.
Why obsess over this here? Go to COCA/LCME and demand they reinstate their for/non profit standards. This isn’t unique to BCOM. The match rate of 95% is strong and match list is very strong. Attrition of 10% is not good but is expected from a new school.

1) Placement rate of 95% is not strong (if true). That would have been the worst in the nation in 2019. Here are the 2019 numbers (lowest was 95.42%). Not good to graduate med school and not have a residency position.
View attachment 300520
View attachment 300521

2) COMLEX 1 first time pass rate of 81% is probably the worst in the nation. It is highly likely BCOM is now worse than William Carey.

View attachment 300522
3) As far as I can tell BCOM has not published their actual graduate numbers other than to say as shown below that 41 was more than a third of the glass.
View attachment 300529

If you go to BCOM, then good luck and make the best of it. Hopefully, you will have a successful outcome. However, let's not pretend that the school is not designed to make $$$$$ for investors. Also, let's not get upset by facts. If a student from BCOM has a great match, I would give more credit to the student than to the school. No school should brag about subpar COMLEX 1 pass rates and residency placement rates.

You are picking data from different years (using 2020 when it suits you and 2021 when it suits you). Pulling graphs to add legitimacy but using them out of context. Using language like “probably” and “likely” and making sweeping statements based on data that is not published yet.

You have a personal vendetta and agenda against the school. Brand new school will have many issues and this school had many issues.

Have fun deciding which school is worse, WCU, BCOM, or LUCOM? Enjoy sitting and calculating the graphs and numbers to make that determination. Your work is useless unless you have a legitimate plan of action and goal. I don’t know what you get out of going on school specific threads to let people know which school is the worst in your opinion. As I have mentioned before BCOM has the tools to improve.

The take home for any premed reading this is that a new school struggled and will likely improve. What a shocker. Breaking news alerts. A new school struggled in its first two years.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
You are awfully defensive imo.
Fact: Latest COMLEX 1 pass rate shows decline.
Fact: Latest residency placement of 95%, if true, is not good.
Fact: For-profit school
Fact: Received BBB+ rating from S&P last fall.
Ratings On Two Osteopathic Colleges Placed On CreditWatch Negative Pending Review Of Regulatory Risk

Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine LLC (BCOM) and the Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine LLC (ICOM) are rated peers of Minnesota Medical University LLC's Minnesota College of Osteopathic Medicine (MNCOM)—a proposed osteopathic medical school we downgraded this year after it failed to receive pre-accreditation from the Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (COCA).
BCOM and ICOM, like MNCOM, are developing schools. But they have both received pre-accreditation and are preparing to graduate their initial classes in 2020 and 2022, respectively. This puts them much closer to final accreditation than MNCOM.
However, we are placing our 'BBB+' ratings on both BCOM and ICOM on CreditWatch with negative implications because we have decided to review the regulatory processes at COCA, the national regulator that determines osteopathic schools' accreditation status, grants permission to increase class size, and authorizes campus expansions.
We are also reviewing the assumptions underlying our medium- and long-term financial projections, which utilize metrics such as class size and school expansion that require COCA approval.
We expect to resolve the CreditWatch placement within the next 90 days, and depending on our view of COCA's regulatory procedures we could leave the ratings unchanged or lower them by at least one notch.

1. Too early to comment, don’t know scores of other schools in 2021. Declining over one year not unique
2. We don’t know final placement, I gave conservative estimates. It could very well be 97-99%.
3. As stated earlier, multiple MD and DO schools are in same boat.

I am not defensive, I matched and am moving on. I am posting here because you are blowing things out of proportion and scaring students out of taking US medical school acceptances because you personally hate BCOM

You are awfully defensive imo.
Fact: Latest COMLEX 1 pass rate shows decline.
Fact: Latest residency placement of 95%, if true, is not good.
Fact: For-profit school
Fact: Received BBB+ rating from S&P last fall.
Ratings On Two Osteopathic Colleges Placed On CreditWatch Negative Pending Review Of Regulatory Risk

Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine LLC (BCOM) and the Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine LLC (ICOM) are rated peers of Minnesota Medical University LLC's Minnesota College of Osteopathic Medicine (MNCOM)—a proposed osteopathic medical school we downgraded this year after it failed to receive pre-accreditation from the Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (COCA).
BCOM and ICOM, like MNCOM, are developing schools. But they have both received pre-accreditation and are preparing to graduate their initial classes in 2020 and 2022, respectively. This puts them much closer to final accreditation than MNCOM.
However, we are placing our 'BBB+' ratings on both BCOM and ICOM on CreditWatch with negative implications because we have decided to review the regulatory processes at COCA, the national regulator that determines osteopathic schools' accreditation status, grants permission to increase class size, and authorizes campus expansions.
We are also reviewing the assumptions underlying our medium- and long-term financial projections, which utilize metrics such as class size and school expansion that require COCA approval.
We expect to resolve the CreditWatch placement within the next 90 days, and depending on our view of COCA's regulatory procedures we could leave the ratings unchanged or lower them by at least one notch.

For the record I want to say thank you for sharing information that you think is important. I think we should always keep a watchful eye on all schools, especially new ones. I like that you are keeping BCOM honest. I have spent considerable time addressing the issue of rapid school proliferation . If you have a tangible plan or goal please feel free to message me. I just don't think that scaring incoming medical students and premeds is appropriate as they may not understand the specifics we are getting into.

The situation at BCOM can be summariezed as follows: As a new school BCOM had and is having struggles but work hard and you will do well.
The struggles were: bottom quartile board scores overall compared to national average and a 10% attrition rate.

Can’t comment on match % or placement %, the match rate was around 95% but placement rate is yet to be determined. A potential 95% match rate is strong and the match list was strong.

Again, a 95% placement rate (if true) is weak not strong (see above).
As far as "scaring incoming medical students and premeds is appropriate as they may not understand the specifics we are getting into."
That makes no sense. Are the incoming medical students at BCOM babies or toddlers? The facts are the facts. Medical students should not be scared of facts. Students should do their own analysis of the risks/benefits and make their individual choices based on the facts. Again, if you go to BCOM, good luck to you and make the best of it.

Sure, that is a fair point. I get your perspective.
thank you!! I Matched thankfully. Good luck to you too!

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Placement rate of 95% is not strong (if true). That would have been the worst in the nation in 2019. Here are the 2019 numbers (lowest was 95.42%). Not good to graduate med school and not have a residency position.
View attachment 300520
View attachment 300521

2) COMLEX 1 first time pass rate of 81% is probably the worst in the nation. It is highly likely BCOM is now worse than William Carey.

View attachment 300522
3) As far as I can tell BCOM has not published their actual graduate numbers other than to say as shown below that 41 was more than a third of the glass.
View attachment 300529

If you go to BCOM, then good luck and make the best of it. Hopefully, you will have a successful outcome. However, let's not pretend that the school is not designed to make $$$$$ for investors. Also, let's not get upset by facts. If a student from BCOM has a great match, I would give more credit to the student than to the school. No school should brag about subpar COMLEX 1 pass rates and residency placement rates.

This.

This is the right perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Before every premed with an acceptance at bcom freaks out DM me and we can talk about any concerns you may have. I don't have the time to debate the same 7 or so **** posters that show up in literally every DO school thread that has an inkling of an issue. I will happily speak with prospective or event current students. I agree with @harrislakers123 , the school hasn't started out perfectly, but imo bcom has come a long way in its first few years. Also, I don't personally see the issue with the financial structure of the school. Why is it an issue that shareholders make money? As students we are frequently consulted in regards to changes in curriculum and our faculty takes our inputs very seriously. Best of luck to everyone. @jkdoctor, where do you go to school? I appreciate your involvement and data, but to be real 3 years is nothing in a big dataset. So sit back and watch BCOM bloom.

Last edited:
  • Haha
This.

This is the right perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

No it isn’t.
1. Because 95% is the projected MATCH rate, not PLACEMENT rate. No one has a projection on the PLACEMENT rate while a 95% match rate is actually 4% higher than the national DO average that was 90.7%.

2. 85% First time passage rate for class of 2020 was NOT the lowest in nation, his own graphs show that. It is unknown if the 81% rate for 2021 was the lowest.

3. Placing 41 grads in the target area is ALREADY superior to retainment rates of UNM and Texas Tech (both great places).

Any deficiencies in the above three can be reasonably attributed to it being a new school.

The only number IMO, that is concerning is 10% attrition, that should be fixed and from what I know that % is already lower in following classes. Sky is not falling.

Imo you are quite defensive about this for-profit school with low COMLEX 1 first time pass rates (probably lowest in the nation) and a Pro Forma calling for big class size increases.
View attachment 300585
Please explain how increasing the class size to 205 and then to 280 and then to 305 is going to improve the education for students at BCOM.
Do you think that the large class size expansion will not result in admission of weaker students to fill the class?
Do you think admitting weaker students helps COMLEX pass rates and helps improve the reputation of a school?
Do you think you can have good interactive instruction for groups of 305 students?

Look at the admissions process:
Prior to an applicant beginning the admissions process, the following minimum requirements must be met:
A completed baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university prior to date of
matriculation into BCOM.
Cumulative science grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale).
A 493 or higher (with no subsections lower than the 15th percentile) on the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT). Scores older than three years prior to July of the year of matriculation will not be considered.
Do you think that there are many strong students who get a 493 on the MCAT and have a 3.0 GPA??

I am totally against class size increase here and at most schools. Theoretical minimum cutoffs for screening are low everywhere. None of these issues unique to bcom.

Last edited:
  • Haha
For example
PCOM technically does not even have a minimum for GPA or MCAT. Many schools are like this. As with any new schools, the matriculant averages will be lower. As for class size increase I have authored MULTIPLE resolutions through the SOMA house to STOP irresponsible class size increases across the country. I have made this point as part of physical presentations in person to COCA. My question is what have you done and what are you actually willing to do? If you have a plan lets discuss.

UNM minimum cutoffs are 494 and 3.0

UofA is 498 and 3.0

That is just the reality of the region. Minimums are just cutoffs and yes a DO accepted class average stats will usually be lower than MD

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Incorrect. There are no other schools I have seen with planned class size increase to >300 students at singles site due to information presented to investors. I have seen no other schools planning such massive class size increases to pay returns to investors.
You dodged the questions
1) Do you think that the large class size expansion will not result in admission of weaker students to fill the class?
2)Do you think admitting weaker students helps COMLEX pass rates and helps improve the reputation of a school?
3) Do you think you can have good interactive instruction for groups of 305 students?
Also I will add 4) Due you think that large class size increases will improve eduction at BCOM?
5) Are these class sizes being planned by BCOM to improve education or to make $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
View attachment 300634
Same goes for the other Burrell project ICOM
View attachment 300635
View attachment 300636

I directly answered sir/mam. Multiple times. I have answered multiple times I am against class size expansion and outlined specifically how I opposed rapid proliferation in my medical school career.

I am very happy with this back and forth and I hope premeds read and learn.

We started with a discussion about match rate, placement rates, comlex scores, tax status, attrition status, and now the only point of “contention” is class size. It seems on the issue of class size we both agree.

Again, simple question, will the planned class size increases improve or degrade education at BCOM?

I feel bad for you now at this point. It is my position that any significant increase in class size for BCOM right now would be irresponsible!
I was able to demonstrate that on issue of BCOM’s match %, placement %, COMLEX scores, minimum screening requirements and tax status that BCOM is performing as expected. They are doing better in some respects and worse in others.
On class size you are RIGHT! BCOM should not be increasing class size.

Good. I agree BCOM should not be increasing class size.
I have pointed out that BCOM has 1) inferior COMLEX track record (81% most recent COMLEX 1 first time pass rate) and 2) a Pro Forma outlining a large class size expansion.
Do you think these two issues should be ignored by applicants?
I, for one, as an applicant, would like to have these issues brought to my attention and am glad that you have done so.

Good. I agree BCOM should not be increasing class size.
I have pointed out that BCOM has 1) inferior COMLEX track record (81.58 % most recent COMLEX 1 first time pass rate) and 2) a Pro Forma outlining a large class size expansion.
Do you think these two issues should be ignored by applicants?

Applicants should be aware, WITH CONTEXT, of the numbers. BCOM is absolutely in the bottom end of national board scores. The context is that this is not surprising for a new school. I am here to provide context and correct the extremely anti slant/narrative.

EDIT: It would also be unfair for me to keep posting/pumping about BCOMs ophtho, 3 ortho, urology, derm, rads, etc. matches without qualifying that those matches were due largely to individual student efforts.

The point is there is nothing uniquely sinister or shocking occurring at BCOM right now that warrants unique fear. There may have been plans to expand class size when school was first made but there is NO imminent plan on expanding class size for the upcoming year. Maybe after 5-10 years, MAYBE if they can hold a consistent trend of success they can explore looking into increasing size, BUT until then they SHOULDN’T and WON’T regardless of what their original plans/hopes were

Last edited:
What is your source for saying they will not expand for 5-10 years? Has there been such an announcement as BCOM? Have you asked administration? That would be a major change from what what was put forth in the Pro Forma financial projections (see http://www.mcelweequinn.com/system/files/job-pdfs/28/2018_publicfinanceauth_burrellcollege_plom.pdf )
If so, has S&P been notified of this?

SAN FRANCISCO (S&P Global Ratings) Sept. 16, 2019--S&P Global Ratings today took the rating actions listed above. All osteopathic schools rely on COCA for key approvals that include final accreditation following the graduation of the school's first class, and permission for schools to increase their class size. Moreover, COCA, in its role as regulator, is a gatekeeper, balancing the supply of new osteopathic schools with its assessment of the market's capacity to absorb new graduates.
Our CreditWatch negative placement reflects that we may lower the ratings on BCOM and ICOM by at least one-notch following a review of the regulatory and accreditation construct, which may lead to us to revise assumptions that underpin our financial forecast, such as class size increases. We will also revisit our medium to long run forecast assumptions with respect to the volume risk osteopathic schools have—that is whether they can attract qualified candidates at presumed tuition rates over time.

I am so sorry man. Yes I literally have spoken to administration and the incoming class is 160. You know what might sting even more?
The money hungry Burrell ELIMINATED their postbacc program that was usually 20-30 students and brought in insane amounts of revenue. They eliminated it because they determined their original plans were not feasible and they had to dedicate all resources to their medical students.
What makes me sad is if it wasn’t for COVID and me having free time to post here that your narratives would have run rampant on this thread, misguiding premeds.

Lets just move on now. Lets continue to monitor in the following years. Your research has great value but we diminish our message when we sensationalize.
We have THOROUGHLY addressed match %, placement %, COMLEX scores, class size, region retainment rates and everything in between in great detail.

You have NOT thoroughly addressed my concerns. You still have not answered the real question. 2020 is not the question. A school cannot apply for a class size until after they have graduated their first class. Are they going to apply for a class size increase for 2021? Did you ask administration about that? What can you tell us about the agreement between the Texas Tech Paul Foster medical school and BCOM about rotations in El Paso? Has the administration told you about that? Does the agreement for BCOM to not pay preceptors only apply to El Paso or does it apply to all BCOM clinical sites?

No class size increases for next year. Texas Tech rotations are limited to their own students (shocker!?). Btw Texas Tech interviewed many of our students and nearly 10 or so matched at Texas Tech residencies in El Paso. Which brings up a larger point, 40+ physicians will train in East Arizona, New Mexico and West Texas. This school is benefiting the region, they are holding testing sites for COVID19, they have multiple linkage and application programs for local students and Native Americans to alleviate healthcare disparities. They are already impacting and serving the region. They just spent millions on a research building. They spent millions on establishing a NMSU affiliation that allowed students to publish research/patents through NMSU labs and work with State policy makers through the Domenici Institute of Public Policy. The school is loved by locals and the state government.
What are you doing besides bashing BCOM due to some personal obsession?

at this point you are scrambling, now we are discussing preceptor benefits? Wow

I think you are scrambling. You did not answer a single one of my questions.
1) Are they going to apply for a class size increase for 2021 (not 2020) and did you ask administration about that?
2) What can you tell us about the agreement between the Texas Tech Paul Foster medical school and BCOM about rotations in El Paso?
3) Has the administration told you about that?
4) Does the agreement for BCOM to not pay for rotations only apply to El Paso or does it apply to all BCOM clinical sites?
1. Answered multiple times above
2. Answered above
3. Answered above. These aren’t conspiracy theories, everyone knows we can’t rotate at Texas Tech sites but that they openly interview and take our students for residency. There isn’t a sexy coverup story.
4. I don’t know or care about preceptor benefits packages LOL c’mon man

• Haha
Why would it be bad to establish relations with a regional university residency system? IMO it would only make students more competitive for applying to regional residencies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would it be bad to establish relations with a regional university residency system? IMO it would only make students more competitive for applying to regional residencies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is nothing sinister, unique or different going on at BCOM. 7 of my classmates just matched at Texas Tech El Paso residencies. This guy just won’t quit and is now grasping at straws. Pulling out documents for shock value and focusing on preceptor benefits packages. Remember, we started with placement/match rates, board scores, attrition and the match list (important things)

If you attend a LCME/COCA accredited school you will be SAFE!

• Haha
It looks like the forum has put @jkdoctor on probationary status. I do not agree with this but respect the forum leadership’s decision. His/her views are important and relevant. Could they be framed with less of a slant absolutely. Hoping this is the end of this back and forth. Incoming students please refer to our discussion on the previous 2-3 pages. There is nothing unique or different happening at BCOM. It is doing as expected for a new school, in some areas stronger (Match %, match list quality) and in others weaker (Bottom quartile comlex pass rate). As with any school there are strengths (two acgme teaching hospitals locally, NMSU affiliation) and weaknesses (newer school, developing curriculum). Individual students can overcome any weakness as shown by our match list. Multiple students are the first DOs to match into their respective programs.

• Okay...
Reactions: 8 users
II - Feb 10
Waitlisted - February 21
Accepted today :soexcited:

I'm excited beyond belief and still processing all of this... First acceptance after two cycles!! Those of you who are still waiting to hear back, keep your heads up. Sending you all good vibes!!!

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 18 users
II - Feb 10
Waitlisted - February 21
Accepted today :soexcited:

I'm excited beyond belief and still processing all of this... First acceptance after two cycles!! Those of you who are still waiting to hear back, keep your heads up. Sending you all good vibes!!!

So so very happy for you!!! Waitlisted March 5th after Feb 20th interview. Happy to see the waitlist is starting to have movement!

• Love
So so very happy for you!!! Waitlisted March 5th after Feb 20th interview. Happy to see the waitlist is starting to have movement!

Thank you SO much!! I hope more of you start to hear back soon, as well :love:

Giving up my acceptance here, hope one of you deserving folks get it! If my opinion holds any value, I think it is absolutely insane to say you would give up an acceptance at an American Medical school (sorry kinda late to this topic). If you get an A you should be extremely proud all this schools have <6% A rates. If you get the A be excited and proud of yourself!!

Reactions: 14 users
I just accepted my seat and the deadline is April 6th, but the portal says that it would take 72 hours for the deposit email to come through. Would I have to call the Business Office come Monday morning? Is it possible that the email would be sent within those 72 hours? Or would a better option be to mail in a check/money order? The portal says mailed-in checks/money orders would need to be postmarked before or at the deadline date.

Last edited:
@harrislakers123 its incredible how @jkdoctor demands answers but gives none. I too agree that his/her information is valuable, but she/he is trying to predict the future in the most pessimistic way possible when in reality BCOM has shown time and time again through their actions that their medical students well-being and success are at the forefront of their business model. I appreciate you and congrats on your match, super proud of your accomplishments as well as C/o 2020.

I just accepted my seat and the deadline is April 6th, but the portal says that it would take 72 hours for the deposit email to come through. Would I have to call the Business Office come Monday morning? Is it possible that the email would be sent within those 72 hours? Or would a better option be to mail in a check/money order? The portal says mailed-in checks/money orders would need to be postmarked before or at the deadline date.

Congrats! You should get the email asap, but I would bet that its 72 hours in business day time. Just give them a call Monday morning and ask how they want you to proceed

Congrats! You should get the email asap, but I would bet that its 72 hours in business day time. Just give them a call Monday morning and ask how they want you to proceed
Thank you! I was able to call them to pay in my deposit in time! Now I have another question. Students have stated The Flats, Sonoma Palms, and Copperstone to be favorites (and the nicer apartment complexes). Are there any other nice and reasonably priced apartments that students reference? I would imagine that those apartments would fill up quickly.

Thank you! I was able to call them to pay in my deposit in time! Now I have another question. Students have stated The Flats, Sonoma Palms, and Copperstone to be favorites (and the nicer apartment complexes). Are there any other nice and reasonably priced apartments that students reference? I would imagine that those apartments would fill up quickly.

I think a few students live somewhere called Willow Springs or something like that. I personally live at the Flats and love how close it is to school. I would be up at 7:30 and be at class by 8. its fantastic haha. If you're interested in living at the Flat, give them a call! We have brand new buildings that are currently being built that should be open by summer move in.

I was told by a current student that willow springs is a must! I'm between that and copperstone. Congrats again!!!!!

If I select a 2 bedroom apartment at The Flats, do I have to find a roommate? Or does the admin select who lives with who?

If I select a 2 bedroom apartment at The Flats, do I have to find a roommate? Or does the admin select who lives with who?

I have a one bedroom that I share w/ my partner, i do know that you do not need to find a roommate yourself. I believe there is some type of survey you can fill out so then they match you based on that. typically med students are roomed with other med students. i know several people who have become best friends with their roommates here because of this system. but you can also find your own roommate if you would like! for 2 bedrooms, one person is on the lease per bedroom, so you dont have to worry if your roommate isnt paying rent on time lol

I have a one bedroom that I share w/ my partner, i do know that you do not need to find a roommate yourself. I believe there is some type of survey you can fill out so then they match you based on that. typically med students are roomed with other med students. i know several people who have become best friends with their roommates here because of this system. but you can also find your own roommate if you would like! for 2 bedrooms, one person is on the lease per bedroom, so you dont have to worry if your roommate isnt paying rent on time lol

Thank you very much!

Hoping for some movement this week for waitlisted candidates. Anyone been in contact with admissions lately?

So I just noticed that Las Cruces proper does not have a Chase Bank location... The nearest is in Anthony which is 30 minutes away... No me gusta...

Hoping for some movement this week for waitlisted candidates. Anyone been in contact with admissions lately?
I inquired about status. They responded that there has been some movement and in years past they have seen movement up until orientation which they expect to be around July 13th per their email. They could not give any information on position as it changes when people are added/taken off.

So I just noticed that Las Cruces proper does not have a Chase Bank location... The nearest is in Anthony which is 30 minutes away... No me gusta...
I dont have a bank here in LC and it hasnt been a problem. With the ability to deposit and bank online the only time I need a physical location is for an ATM, and my bank refunds ATM fees.

Anyone have any insight on how the virtual interview at BCOM went? I have one tomorrow AND IT'S MY FIRST INTERVIEW. Yes, so late in the cycle I know... ugh I'm so nervous

Anyone have any insight on how the virtual interview at BCOM went? I have one tomorrow AND IT'S MY FIRST INTERVIEW. Yes, so late in the cycle I know... ugh I'm so nervous
I interviewed in April and still made it in. Yes its late but you've still got a shot.