2019-2020 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
when do we start seeing the most waitlist movement?

Members don't see this ad.

when do we start seeing the most waitlist movement?
I heard May and June will have a lot of movement, but Fri, May 15 is traffic day for DO schools, so WLs will move after that and hopefully more As will be given out starting Mon, May 18! :) But, WHO KNOWS TBH

Reactions: 2 users
I heard May and June will have a lot of movement, but Fri, May 15 is traffic day for DO schools, so WLs will move after that and hopefully more As will be given out starting Mon, May 18! :) But, WHO KNOWS TBH
I’m rooting for all of us!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info! And best of luck to all of us on WL!

Good luck to all of you on the WL, hope to see you in the fall!

Reactions: 6 users
For those that got in off the waitlist in the last 2 - 3 weeks, do yall mind sharing your stats? I know that BCOM's WL is ranked so I want a feel of where everyone else is at lol

Reactions: 2 users
For those that got in off the waitlist in the last 2 - 3 weeks, do yall mind sharing your stats? I know that BCOM's WL is ranked so I want a feel of where everyone else is at lol

Same here. Please if yall don't mind.

Withdrawing from the waitlist! Goodluck to everyone still on it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I withdrew my acceptance via email 2 weeks ago but never heard anything back.... I’d like to get off their list so someone on the waitlist can get in. Does anyone know if I was supposed to do something different? Is there something I needed to do on my portal?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I withdrew my acceptance via email 2 weeks ago but never heard anything back.... I’d like to get off their list so someone on the waitlist can get in. Does anyone know if I was supposed to do something different? Is there something I needed to do on my portal?
I guess just send a follow up email regarding that?

You're honestly the MVP like ty but yeah send a follow up email! They usually respond to me literally like minutes after I email lol but make sure its like 8 AM - 5 PM MST :)

Reactions: 1 user
Not to be neurotic or anything but the class of 2024 FB page for BCOM went up by 40 people since yesterday like I WANT AN A TOO lol I'm crying lowkey just gonna assume rejection and submit my reapplication now

Not to be neurotic or anything but the class of 2024 FB page for BCOM went up by 40 people since yesterday like I WANT AN A TOO lol I'm crying lowkey just gonna assume rejection and submit my reapplication now
Contacted them tonight and they said they missed my previous email giving up my A. I’m sure there’s more like me, and on May 15th students can only hold 1 A. Keep your hopes up!

I wonder if there's any way to find out how many people are on the waitlist

Has anyone tried asking if the waitlist is ranked/ if BCOM will reveal where we stand on it at all?
I read past SDNs and they won't tell you. I'm pretty sure it is ranked though since people who interviewed in like November and April got an A around the same time. You can always email admissions and ask? (Lmk what they say lol)

Has anyone tried asking if the waitlist is ranked/ if BCOM will reveal where we stand on it at all?

Yes it is ranked, but unfortunately they will not tell you where you stand. There's going to be a lot of movement soon!!!! Good luck to you all!!!

Giving up my acceptance tomorrow. Good luck to you all on here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Love
I think you might have to decline your acceptance through the portal. When I got mine I had to option to accept the acceptance or decline it!

PSA: those with multiple acceptances, if you could pretty please make up your minds asap and notify schools of declining your seat so waitlist movement could begin asap, would be much appreciated!! Please and thank you!!!!

Hello all. I've been following this thread since it opened, but I only registered today. I just wanted to share that I received and acceptance off the waitlist today so that you all know it is moving. Good luck to everybody else on the waitlist, keep your head up.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Hello all. I've been following this thread since it opened, but I only registered today. I just wanted to share that I received and acceptance off the waitlist today so that you all know it is moving. Good luck to everybody else on the waitlist, keep your head up.

Congrats!! What time did you get the call??

Has anyone who interviewed on 4/30 heard back yet??? Or know what the usual timeline is for when they get back to you??

Has anyone who interviewed on 4/30 heard back yet??? Or know what the usual timeline is for when they get back to you??
Nope not yet..looks like they are calling off the waitllist before they even get back to us

CONGRATS!!! Did they call or email you though? I saw some other posts that it was just email....

They usually get back to you within 2 weeks. Took less than that for me to hear back

Current 1st year here at BCOM (Class of 2023)
-Lotta hate in here from students who don't go here. I'm super close to many 4th /3rdyears and they are in shock in how much has changed. I can't deny that the 4th year class lost a lot of students from the class (reasons listed above) but that number is going down every class. My class lost 2 people the first week of orientation (before lectures even started!!!). After this BCOM, changed the AACOMAS application for the following cycle to screen better because it's bad to lose 2 students like that. We've had about 6 additional students take LOAs who are coming back next year (add that to the 162 for the new class (2024).

Things 4th/3rd years have said have changed AND some positives I want to throw in there:
-Pharm lectures! We're getting a TON of them as 1st years. The current 4th and 3rd years had NO PHARM lectures and this didn't help with Level 1/Step 1 scores
-We have research for tons of students to take advantage of over the summer and school year. A new facility with engaging professors.
-4th and 3rd years had a "virtual anatomy lab" but that did not work. 1st years have anatomy lab for every block and the staff and tutors are SUPER engaging and help reinforce what we are learning in lectures. Three weeks ago we had 4th years who were in town and helped out and told us high yield Endo/Repro anatomy topics to focus on for our exams, boards, and clinical rotations (one matched Derm, one matched Gen Surg @Cleveland clinic...s/o you guys btw!)
-The clinical staff has been shuffled around and as 1st years we have amazing physicians who hit the key points for boards and clinical rotations. They also want to be there. There was a physician who was just a grumpy miserable dude and he got the boot after a semester which a lot of us are thankful for
-For practicing our clinical skills, we have SPs almost every two weeks preparing us for the COMLEX PE. It's actually a lot of fun and we get to prepare for clinical rotations! 3rd and 4th years didn't have this as much as us and they let BCOM know there has to be more done to prepare BCOM students for clinical rotations.
-Administration and staff are very responsive to our comments.
-We got a brand new Immuno professor from WVSOM. First Immuno test was so unbelievably hard and the professor opened up a forum to see why we all thought it was challenging. Most of the comments said we need summary and key point slides at the end and he started adding that so as students we can focus on the high yield lecture material and not get stuck up in all the tiny little details that we may never see again in our lives (I say that because I wont be an immunologist lmfao). Now immuno lectures make more sense. He literally changed this after ONE EXAM.

I wrote a lot. It's late for me. May have some grammatical errors. Please reach out with questions. People can hate all they want but keep an eye out on those First pass rates and match stats for the upcoming years.

Also- we're on the New Mexico State campus and their football games are a ton of fun (even though they suck), basketball team is REALLY good and whenever my friends and I get the chance, we go and enjoy the games. Not many DOs schools have a big college on campus and an exciting upcoming/growing city to live in. Never thought I'd end up in New Mexico but believe me it's an amazing time if you manage your time efficiently.

EDIT 1:

Interesting to see BCOMs financials. Frankly, I don't care. We have amazing facilities and the building is modern and high tech. I'm sure anyone can dig up those numbers about any school.

I'm currently trying to decide between BCOM and WCUCOM, your post was encouraging. Can you explain what aspects of BCOM made it more appealing to you than other D.O. schools? How do your upperclassman peers talk about the school? Do you get the sense that residency matching isn't a panicked game of musical chairs for them?

I'm currently trying to decide between BCOM and WCUCOM, your post was encouraging. Can you explain what aspects of BCOM made it more appealing to you than other D.O. schools? How do your upperclassman peers talk about the school? Do you get the sense that residency matching isn't a panicked game of musical chairs for them?

WCUCOM is a smaller school with arguably lesser resources. Cost of living is cheap in both locations. BCOM is in the southwest so it will be a nicer location than Mississippi will be for most people. The people, food, outdoor scenery, weather is better. BCOM is a newer school with all the newest toys and gizmos the building can have. The sim lab is something we have that I'll say has been really nice. Most schools don't have much when it comes to that stuff. Rotation site quality is variable, but generally decent to good overall. You have your pick between several large cities or even rural sites if that's what you prefer. Can't comment on WCUCOM's rotation sites because I honestly don't know too much about them, but I have many friends there and nobody ever complained about clinical education. That's not to say it's great, just that I haven't heard anything shockingly bad. Tuition will probably be a bit cheaper at WCUCOM.

Residency matching was not a panicked game of musical chairs.

Source: I am/was an upperclassmen and also decided between the two schools back in the day.

WCUCOM is a smaller school with arguably lesser resources. Cost of living is cheap in both locations. BCOM is in the southwest so it will be a nicer location than Mississippi will be for most people. The people, food, outdoor scenery, weather is better. BCOM is a newer school with all the newest toys and gizmos the building can have. The sim lab is something we have that I'll say has been really nice. Most schools don't have much when it comes to that stuff. Rotation site quality is variable, but generally decent to good overall. You have your pick between several large cities or even rural sites if that's what you prefer. Can't comment on WCUCOM's rotation sites because I honestly don't know too much about them, but I have many friends there and nobody ever complained about clinical education. That's not to say it's great, just that I haven't heard anything shockingly bad. Tuition will probably be a bit cheaper at WCUCOM.

Residency matching was not a panicked game of musical chairs.

Source: I am/was an upperclassmen and also decided between the two schools back in the day.
Thank you!

Anybody with 4/30 interview get an initial decision yet?? Not me.

Edit: was waitlisted an hour later lol.

Last edited:
Oof it’s been a stressful day lol, I’ve been thinking about my stats and playing through the interview in my mind trying to find where I might’ve made a mistake, it’s been a frustrating process, just wanted to vent, maybe some of y’all are feeling the same, and I’ve been trying to remind myself to stay patient and hungry for the opportunity

Oof it’s been a stressful day lol, I’ve been thinking about my stats and playing through the interview in my mind trying to find where I might’ve made a mistake, it’s been a frustrating process, just wanted to vent, maybe some of y’all are feeling the same, and I’ve been trying to remind myself to stay patient and hungry for the opportunity
I feel u. Its very very frustrating. Waiting for movement everyday, not knowing your position on the waitlist. Its so stressful.

From what I've gathered, the recent WL acceptances have been around 500 MCAT scores, 3.2 - 3.6 GPAs so if your stats are near there, then maybe you're next. But movement probs won't pick up til Monday (May 18) since traffic day is today. We got this!!!!

From what I've gathered, the recent WL acceptances have been around 500 MCAT scores, 3.2 - 3.6 GPAs so if your stats are near there, then maybe you're next. But movement probs won't pick up til Monday (May 18) since traffic day is today. We got this!!!!
My stats are above that but to be fair to those accepted they probably have a wealth of experience that’d I’d definitely weigh above gpa and mcat scores.

My stats are above that but to be fair to those accepted they probably have a wealth of experience that’d I’d definitely weigh above gpa and mcat scores.

if it makes you feel any better, I have higher stats AND a stupid amount of experience. I definitely need to vent too considering I thought this interview went the best out of all of them . Who knows what they’re looking for exactly... it would be so much easier if they just released the WL ranking (for all schools) so we have an idea if we should start looking for places to potentially live or just give up the seat and move on.

Yes, this is true, but don't give up! Lol
if it makes you feel any better, I have higher stats AND a stupid amount of experience. I definitely need to vent too considering I thought this interview went the best out of all of them . Who knows what they’re looking for exactly... it would be so much easier if they just released the WL ranking (for all schools) so we have an idea if we should start looking for places to potentially live or just give up the seat and move on.
Tea honestly, we don't know, its annoying. I'm already reapplying and I really don't want to spend another like $700 just to get accepted later on in June or July (OR NOT EVEN ACCEPTED). Who knows at this point honestly....

Hi everyone. I know how anxious and frustrated you all might be not having heard back. I am rooting for all of you. If any of you are interested, you can PM me and I can share my detailed stats, and reasons why I think I was accepted!

Just a thought, maybe wait to reapply. Obviously start working on how to improve your app but no school even reviews the applications until late summer. If you think you have a chance try and save the money, you’ll need it for the 3k seat deposit lol.

If you are waitlisted, enjoyed your interview, have good stats and good experience, then give yourself a little grace and patience because there’s been a ton of movement and there will continue to be. I was WL and got an A within a few days.

Just a thought, maybe wait to reapply. Obviously start working on how to improve your app but no school even reviews the applications until late summer. If you think you have a chance try and save the money, you’ll need it for the 3k seat deposit lol.

If you are waitlisted, enjoyed your interview, have good stats and good experience, then give yourself a little grace and patience because there’s been a ton of movement and there will continue to be. I was WL and got an A within a few days.
Yeah, what I did was send in my app with 1 school just to get verified quickly. I think they start reviewing June 10 so that's when I'm applying to the other schools. I'm praying for WL movement so much lol so yes I'm just waiting patiently while also studying for the MCAT again lolol