2019-2020 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hang in there guys, rooting for you as well!! To comment on stats - during one of the Townhalls we have with the dean, he mentioned they've raised the stats of incoming students, but the committee really still looks beyond stats in deciding who to accept (i.e. interview performance, personal statement, experiences etc.). That being said you really don't want to be at the lower end of the minimum requirements of getting in, but having a high score doesn't guarantee you an acceptance (at least at BCOM).

Movements really get into full gear starting next week and in June. My advice, make sure you have that $3k deposit ready and check in with the school periodically during this period;). Here's why = When pulled off the waitlist this period, you only but have a short period of time to pay, I believe it starts with 3 days and then closer to July you are given 1 day.... so prepare. Yes it's a lot of money, especially this pandemic period but no excuses.

PM if you have questions and I'll try to respond as soon as I can.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anybody know how many people have been placed on the waitlist, how many have been accepted so far/how many people typically get accepted off of the waitlist at BCOM?

Also are they doing deferred acceptances this year?

Reactions: 1 users
Hang in there guys, rooting for you as well!! To comment on stats - during one of the Townhalls we have with the dean, he mentioned they've raised the stats of incoming students, but the committee really still looks beyond stats in deciding who to accept (i.e. interview performance, personal statement, experiences etc.). That being said you really don't want to be at the lower end of the minimum requirements of getting in, but having a high score doesn't guarantee you an acceptance (at least at BCOM).

Movements really get into full gear starting next week and in June. My advice, make sure you have that $3k deposit ready and check in with the school periodically during this period;). Here's why = When pulled off the waitlist this period, you only but have a short period of time to pay, I believe it starts with 3 days and then closer to July you are given 1 day.... so prepare. Yes it's a lot of money, especially this pandemic period but no excuses.

PM if you have questions and I'll try to respond as soon as I can.
I feel a lil bit better lol thanks for the info!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
FYI while I was on the WL I attended their zoom Q&A meetings! Don’t know if this might have helped me get off the WL but it doesn’t hurt!

FYI while I was on the WL I attended their zoom Q&A meetings! Don’t know if this might have helped me get off the WL but it doesn’t hurt!
is there a list of times for when the next one is?

Does anybody know how many people have been placed on the waitlist, how many have been accepted so far/how many people typically get accepted off of the waitlist at BCOM?

Don't know how many people on the WL but I know that the Facebook group for the class of 2024 is around 250 now so assuming like 30 faculty members, that's like 220 students.....i have no idea why there's so many accepted students, but maybe it's because traffic day was just today and other people are on other WLs with this acceptance. In past SDNs, I saw that like 400 / 500 interviewed students get an acceptance offer, BUT this could be very different from cycle to cycle so we can't really apply that logic to this cycle. Who knows tbh ‍

I went to their last one, so I'm not sure if they take that into account.....

Don't know how many people on the WL but I know that the Facebook group for the class of 2024 is around 250 now so assuming like 30 faculty members, that's like 220 students.....i have no idea why there's so many accepted students, but maybe it's because traffic day was just today and other people are on other WLs with this acceptance. In past SDNs, I saw that like 400 / 500 interviewed students get an acceptance offer, BUT this could be very different from cycle to cycle so we can't really apply that logic to this cycle. Who knows tbh ‍

You shouldn’t use the Facebook group to determine how many are in the class of 2024 as students from other years are usually in those groups as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you work for the admissions office and/or are part of the admissions committee, no way of knowing any of that info. What I'll say is, a good amount are pulled off the waitlist, at least in the past cycles many have. With the school getting some good recognition lately and becoming fully accredited maybe things have changed, who knows?!

Just FYI, some of those students on the FB group include people like me from the other years. I can think of at least 5 people that I know are definitely on the FB group that are 2023 members, myself included. (I know there are more than that but I can only think of 5 right now haha).

Best of luck to all of you! YOU GOT THIS!!! There should definitely be movement soon and we did have people pulled off of the waitlist for my class during the week of orientation (I can't even imagine how stressful that is to just drop everything and move in a day, but hey, if it were me, I would totally do it!!!). I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about stats/interviews as in how you did and how you compare. I thought my interview went terribly and here I am! You've done everything the best you could. If you're on the waitlist, it does mean that they want you, they just don't have the spots right now. Good luck to everyone and please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions :D

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Just wondering if there is someplace in the portal for accepted students to see the current number of seats filled? I know some other schools have this in a "2024 class student composite/profile" section and it's updated daily. Accepted students have posted the updated count every week for waitlisted students to gauge upcoming movement.

Members don't see this ad :)
I always check here or the threads of schools I’m waitlisted for so I can get an idea of how movement is going lol haven’t seen anyone post today hopefully this week is good for us haha

Hi guys! Will be withdrawing my acceptance from here later this week as I have been accepted somewhere else! good luck!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
does anybody know if BCOM is going to start online or in person?
They said that it would be online for the summer but they haven’t decided on online fall semester, I read that like a week ago so idk if anythings changed

does anybody know if BCOM is going to start online or in person?

As of right now, the plan is for orientation to be online for the new class (at least this is what I heard) as well as the start of the fall semester. However, there will be small groups on campus, so that's why they want everyone in Las Cruces by July 6 so everyone can do the 2 week quarantine if they're flying that is currently mandated by the governor. (note--if you're driving into Las Cruces, you do not have to do the 2 week quarantine. It's just for those flying in).

As of right now, the plan is for orientation to be online for the new class (at least this is what I heard) as well as the start of the fall semester. However, there will be small groups on campus, so that's why they want everyone in Las Cruces by July 6 so everyone can do the 2 week quarantine if they're flying that is currently mandated by the governor. (note--if you're driving into Las Cruces, you do not have to do the 2 week quarantine. It's just for those flying in).

thank you for the info! was this an official email or announcement that was sent out?

Declining my offer tomorrow. Congrats and good luck to whoever is next on the wait list!

Caveat emptor: If you are considering multiple offers, take as long as they give you to study the school before you pay your seat deposit. Immediately after you submit the deposit you'll receive a call. They will ask you to sign an affidavit requiring you to decline other offers within 72 hours. I asked to have the deadline extended in consideration of the fact that Covid prohibited me from seeing campus- this request was denied. Also, push them to answer questions about student attrition. You'll find that they refuse to disclose such information as it applies to the class of 2020.

Reactions: 4 users
Declining my offer tomorrow. Congrats and good luck to whoever is next on the wait list!

Caveat emptor: If you are considering multiple offers, take as long as they give you to study the school before you pay your seat deposit. Immediately after you submit the deposit you'll receive a call. They will ask you to sign an affidavit requiring you to decline other offers within 72 hours. I asked to have the deadline extended in consideration of the fact that Covid prohibited me from seeing campus- this request was denied. Also, push them to answer questions about student attrition. You'll find that they refuse to disclose such information as it applies to the class of 2020.
Does your caveat apply to BCOM only or other DO schools? And is this because traffic day passed or what???? Also congrats on your other A!

Does your caveat apply to BCOM only or other DO schools? And is this because traffic day passed or what???? Also congrats on your other A!
Thanks! The warning only applies to BCOM.

I think this only applies to BCOM and has nothing to do with traffic day. I had been accepted 4/30 and gave me 7 days to make a decision. I too had asked for an extension and said if the extension was approved (which seemed like it would be unlikely), then I would have to sign an affidavit and decline all other acceptances.

Also if you really want to go here mail in a check. They charge an $80 "convenience fee" when you try to pay their deposit by credit card.

Also if you really want to go here mail in a check. They charge an $80 "convenience fee" when you try to pay their deposit by credit card.
Do you know if there’s something about if you are waiting to hear back from other schools? Like if I pay the deposit and sign the affidavit, I can still give up my seat for another school right?

Do you know if there’s something about if you are waiting to hear back from other schools? Like if I pay the deposit and sign the affidavit, I can still give up my seat for another school right?

Second clause of the affidavit is a declaration that you will decline all future offers as well.

Wow, this doesn’t make any sense or seem fair. Can any current student verify this?

Here's a screencap of the clause I cited.
ripoff.JPG

Does Burrell accept ACH deposit or Zelle? Trying to figure out the best way to send money quickly and without a fee.

Here's a screencap of the clause I cited. View attachment 307044
I just don't understand how they can make students decline all other future offers. Do you know what happens if you do accept another offer? I have not heard them mention anything like this, just to pay the deposit in 3 days. Sorry for all the questions, I my deadline is tomorrow so I want to make sure Im understanding it correctly

I just don't understand how they can make students decline all other future offers. Do you know what happens if you do accept another offer? I have not heard them mention anything like this, just to pay the deposit in 3 days. Sorry for all the questions, I my deadline is tomorrow so I want to make sure Im understanding it correctly

No problem, I wanted to warn people about this stuff before they also get robbed of $3000. Additional conditions in the affidavit state that they reserve the right tell all other schools that you have accepted a seat in the incoming class. If you choose to accept another offer after signing (if schools still give you offers after BCOM contacts them) they'll withdraw their offer and keep your deposit.

Thank you for the warning. Im okay with losing the deposit if it comes down to that but contacting my other schools is insane. How would they even know the other schools I am waiting on?

Thank you for the warning. Im okay with losing the deposit if it comes down to that but contacting my other schools is insane. How would they even know the other schools I am waiting on?

No clue. Good luck with your decision! I don't want to scare anyone away if they truly think this is the school for them. I just wanted people who have multiple offers to be on alert.

Please understand that this is ONLY if you ask for an extension and you sign the affidavit. If you only pay the deposit and don’t ask for an extension then this doesn’t apply to you. I did not want to sign the affidavit so I just gave the deposit within the time limit they had given me. Which is why I was able to decline my acceptance later on.

Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone heard about any WL movement or heard from admissions?

Just an FYI, I sent a letter of intent and was told that they are still filling up seats and began offering As to waitlist candidates (which we knew) but this was reassuring. Also, Monday is memorial day so dont expect movement again until Tuesday! Have a great memorial day weekend all (even tho we'll be quaratined lol)

Reactions: 2 users
I know a few people are giving up As today. Hold out y’all!!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Since all the interviews are done I wonder if they'd be open to telling people their positions on the waitlist now.