2019-2020 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi
I was pulled off the waitlist today and am thinking about accepting but I have to be honest. The school is not my top choice, I’m waitlisted at touro Nevada as well. What are the repercussions if I accept a position here and then get accepted to touro and withdraw from Burrell
I second Jaggabrotha. If you've got time to burn, then go ahead and risk waiting for another cycle. There's nothing wrong with that. Otherwise, take any acceptance you can get. The opportunities and successes you have in med school are primarily based on how much you want to get out of it. There have been some really competitive graduates coming from BCOM.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi
I was pulled off the waitlist today and am thinking about accepting but I have to be honest. The school is not my top choice, I’m waitlisted at touro Nevada as well. What are the repercussions if I accept a position here and then get accepted to touro and withdraw from Burrell
+1 but I accepted BCOM already. Is everyone absolutely sure that we can accept the TUNCOM offer even though paid for Burrell? I thought BCOM had the right to tell other schools that we got accepted already and thus we had to decline all offers?

**NOT TRYING TO SPREAD MISINFORMATION- So can someone please clarify or confirm?

I feel like I saw this clause in the contract, previous posts on this thread even put a screenshot of the statement if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
+1 but I accepted BCOM already. Is everyone absolutely sure that we can accept the TUNCOM offer even though paid for Burrell? I thought BCOM had the right to tell other schools that we got accepted already and thus we had to decline all offers?

**NOT TRYING TO SPREAD MISINFORMATION- So can someone please clarify or confirm?

I feel like I saw this clause in the contract, previous posts on this thread even put a screenshot of the statement if I remember correctly.
You can accept any offers even after already placing a deposit at BCOM. Yes BCOM may or will inform other schools of your acceptance but it’s up to any school to determine if they want to rescind their offer or give you an ultimatum, most likely the latter. It’s risky but doable. Getting close to July, you need to start making tough decisions. Get all immunizations done as all schools require that, research housing in both places etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
At this point of the application cycle, I'd take any acceptance I can get. Look at it this way, what if you pass on the acceptance to BCOM and never get pulled off the waitlist at Touro this cycle? How bad do you want to get into Touro? Are you willing to wait another year, go through the application process, to maybe get into Touro?

The only downside I see is losing the deposit ($3k) to BCOM if you end up getting accepted at Touro. There are really no repercusions, you can withdraw your acceptance to BCOM up to the time when school starts if you do get accepted to Touro.
I accepted an offer to liberty but like Burrell more as a school but I heard about that clause in the contract, which is why I was worried about paying a deposit to Burrell in case I get accepted in touro

Guys, just heard from Goro that BCOM is now on an accreditation warning due to the low STEP 1 first time pass rates and being a new school, etc. He suggested going pretty much anywhere else if you have the option. o_O Has anyone else/ current students heard anything about this??

Guys, just heard from Goro that BCOM is now on an accreditation warning due to the low STEP 1 first time pass rates and being a new school, etc. He suggested going pretty much anywhere else if you have the option. o_O Has anyone else/ current students heard anything about this??
Little does BCOM know we built different on this thread

• Love
Who is goro?

o_O at your convenience can you link the thread

Attachments

• bcom2.png
    bcom2.png
    78.5 KB · Views: 187
  • BCOM.png
    BCOM.png
    117.8 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
I mean Goro did say accreditation for 4 years is still valid so class of 2024 would be fine right??? Also, BCOM is compliant with 68/70 standards according to their website

Members don't see this ad :)
I accepted an offer to liberty but like Burrell more as a school but I heard about that clause in the contract, which is why I was worried about paying a deposit to Burrell in case I get accepted in touro
No, only if you request for a deposit deadline extension, they will ask you to sign a commitment. Otherwise, just pay your deposit to secure s spot while waiting your dream school

Reactions: 1 users
Step 1/Level 1 is more a reflection of the student/student body rather than the school. We all have access to the same online resources (UFAP etc.). It's whether or not you put in the effort to succeed and do well on those exams that will determine whether you pass or fail, not BCOM.

It was a direct message in response to my inquiring about potential schools to attend if accepted from waitlists. Below are a couple screenshots from our chat, which he consented that I can share with you all. The link to the AACOMAS accreditation update he sent is here: Accreditation decisions for colleges of osteopathic medicine - American Osteopathic Association

He prefers VCOM-LA (a completely new school/ campus with upcoming first class) to BCOM.
Please take whatever you read on here or whoever you talk to on here with a grain of salt! If you go looking for advice, please don’t just lean on one person, regardless of how long that person has been on SDN or whatever credentials they claim to have on here. Talk to schools directly, talk to students from potential schools, gather information from credible sources and don’t base your decisions solely on what someone on here tells you.

You’re seriously asking someone on here (SDN) which school to attend??? Nothing wrong with getting pros and cons, but don’t rely on one source.. do your own homework outside of here. Whichever school you end up attending, at the end of the day, your hardwork is what gets you where you want to go. Whichever school you also attend will tell you, stay away from SDN or beware of what you read/take from here (not a news).

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hi, my dad is friends with the director of the accreditation board for osteopathic schools and spoke to him directly after I received my acceptance to BCOM. The director mentioned that he personally reviewed their file and found nothing to be alarmed about. He said it’s quite normal for new schools to have similar stats and that he wasn’t worried about it so we shouldn’t be either. I agree with what is said above, take everything with a grain of salt but just wanted to share

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys,

If anyone is looking for an apartment that is 5 mins from BCOM, I am offering to sublease my apartment at the Flats! It is the classic 2x2 (2 bed 2 bath) and you would be paying $575/month. There has been a recent increase to this price on the original website. I will also be paying for your deposit. I am unable to live here because I will be attending another school. Please DM if you are interested...help lol

Hey guys,

If anyone is looking for an apartment that is 5 mins from BCOM, I am offering to sublease my apartment at the Flats! It is the classic 2x2 (2 bed 2 bath) and you would be paying $575/month. There has been a recent increase to this price on the original website. I will also be paying for your deposit. I am unable to live here because I will be attending another school. Please DM if you are interested...help lol

oh my...you bought the that apartment room already, as in you own it?

oh my...you bought the that apartment room already, as in you own it?

Lol no I did not buy the apartment. I signed a lease with them and I need to break it by subleasing it to another person. I am giving up my lease because I got accepted to another medical school and will be moving to another state after I had signed the lease :/. I cannot afford to pay rent in two places (broke med student here lol)

Does anyone know if they WL based off or your highest MCAT or your most recent MCAT? i.e. if you do worse the second time taking the MCAT, would they ignore it and just use the higher score to rank you? Asking for a friend lol

Edit / another thing: I haven't contacted them in like 3 weeks so idk if i should state my continued interest or just keep waiting without doing anything. What do yall think???

Does anyone know if they WL based off or your highest MCAT or your most recent MCAT? i.e. if you do worse the second time taking the MCAT, would they ignore it and just use the higher score to rank you? Asking for a friend lol

Edit / another thing: I haven't contacted them in like 3 weeks so idk if i should state my continued interest or just keep waiting without doing anything. What do yall think???

I’m not sure about MCAT specifics, but it seems to me they take a holistic view in application review with many other factors aside from the MCAT! It doesn’t seem their waitlist ranking is that black and white.

In terms of reaching out - i’d go with whatever your gut is telling you. If you’re still interested, I’d personally reach out! Sorry if this is vague but I hope it provides insight!

It does seem holistic. I know from strictly a stat and experience perspective my GPA and MCAT are significantly higher than others that have been pulled off the waitlist. Each class also has to meet demographic criteria they have set. So many other factors being taken into consideration. I personally have continued to reach out to them. I'm lucky enought to have another school to go to but I'm not giving up hope on Burrell until their classes actually start.

• Love
It does seem holistic. I know from strictly a stat and experience perspective my GPA and MCAT are significantly higher than others that have been pulled off the waitlist. Each class also has to meet demographic criteria they have set. So many other factors being taken into consideration. I personally have continued to reach out to them. I'm lucky enought to have another school to go to but I'm not giving up hope on Burrell until their classes actually start.
I know, its just frustrating bc I don't know if I'm next to be pulled off or literally at the end of the WL lol like !!!! This is my only WL and it would be nice to not take a gap year especially right now when almost no one is hiring and I can't get more clinical experience like ugh it would be nice to just be able to go school lol

To any current students of BCOM. . . My portal says I need proof of citizenship. I have a scanned copy of my valid passport and I don't think I will have the chance to be on campus to give my official passport to financial aid office before I start needing financial aid for BCOM (also due to social distancing/closed campus). Do you know if the financial aid office will accept my scanned copy as proof? I am emailing them rn to check but would like a faster answer here if possible.

Last edited:
To any current students of BCOM. . . My portal says I need proof of citizenship. I have a scanned copy of my valid passport and I don't think I will have the chance to be on campus to give my official passport to financial aid office before I start needing financial aid for BCOM (also due to social distancing/closed campus). Do you know if the financial aid office will accept my scanned copy as proof? I am emailing them rn to check but would like a faster answer here if possible.
They pretty much ask almost every student for proof of citizenship or permanent residence when starting school. Yes they'll accept a scanned copy of your valid passport. Just go ahead and send it to Financial Aid and they should upload it between now and when school starts in July. FYI they've been a little busier than usual lately - with uploading individual GradPlus for current students (entire 3 classes), so maybe give them some time? They'll eventually get back to you.

Question: Have you filled out your Fafsa and/or GradPlus (if you'll be using GradPlus)? If not, do so asap. If you have, keep checking your portal.

I know, its just frustrating bc I don't know if I'm next to be pulled off or literally at the end of the WL lol like !!!! This is my only WL and it would be nice to not take a gap year especially right now when almost no one is hiring and I can't get more clinical experience like ugh it would be nice to just be able to go school lol
It'll come when you least expect, keep praying! Rooting for you!

Last edited:
  • Love
Continue to keep in touch!!

I feel you. I'm just as anxious about it. Either way I still have to move. I haven't looked at places to rent at either place. I know Las Cruces has tons of homes for rent so not worried about finding a place but I have my wife and dogs as well. Not being able to prepare to move or even know where I'm moving is a bit stressful and may come down to the last minute. Keep your hopes up. I'm rooting for you.

It’s almost been a month since I last talked to them so I’m not too sure if I should follow up plus I don’t have any form of an update besides starting my SMP. Still want them to know I’m interested but don’t wanna seem over eager

Please understand that this is ONLY if you ask for an extension and you sign the affidavit. If you only pay the deposit and don’t ask for an extension then this doesn’t apply to you. I did not want to sign the affidavit so I just gave the deposit within the time limit they had given me. Which is why I was able to decline my acceptance later on.

I might have to decline my offer of acceptance, after submitting the deposit, as well. A family member had emergency surgery over the weekend and I no longer feel right about moving to New Mexico so soon. I'm still on the waitlist at other schools which have a later start date. I think I am going to wait to hear from them. I'm assuming you were not able to get any refund?

I might have to decline my offer of acceptance, after submitting the deposit, as well. A family member had emergency surgery over the weekend and I no longer feel right about moving to New Mexico so soon. I'm still on the waitlist at other schools which have a later start date. I think I am going to wait to hear from them. I'm assuming you were not able to get any refund?

Before you make that decision, do talk with your fam first

Its like you're reading my mind. Its the most frustrating thing ever. Been trying not to think about it too much to keep sane lol.

Nope. They didn’t refund me

I just emailed them my continued interest and asked if it were possible to know my WL position. Of course they said no, but they said there has been some movement in the past few months. They also that movement is based on students (of course), and in past cycles, they've accepted people up until orientation day. However COVID-19 has made this cycle really unpredictable....

That was it lol, great! I'm not worrying about it anymore though bc I just submitted my DO apps for this new cycle so we will see what happens. I will still hope to be a part of BCOM ovi but I've now lowered my expectations just to stop thinking/stressing about it so much. Ovi it would be AMAZING if I got accepted for this year, but it won't be the end of the world for me. Anyway, good luck all and who knows, maybe we'll see more As soon!

So I am going to need a ride from El Paso Int Airport to BCOM, does Uber work well here? or should I grab a taxi? I am not renting a car. Any locals or people who interviewed in person that know about transportation?

So I am going to need a ride from El Paso Int Airport to BCOM, does Uber work well here? or should I grab a taxi? I am not renting a car. Any locals or people who interviewed in person that know about transportation?
Uber and Lyft work fine

• Love
One more thing you could try is the Las Cruces Airport Shuttle (The Associated Students of New Mexico State University | Airport Shuttle). Its FREE for both NMSU and BCOM students if you book in advance, or $20 for same day booking (unless the price has changed). Now they require a student ID as proof you are a student but since you are an incoming student, just explain to them you are a first year at BCOM and yet to receive your student ID, ask if your acceptance letter to BCOM would work instead (shouldn't be an issue I think). The shuttle takes you to your doorstep (very convenient). They depart at specific times of the day from Las Cruces, as well as from the airport, so call to inquire about the times & the meet up point at the airport. I've used it myself - highly recommend!

Last edited:
  • Love
I have just rescinded my offer of acceptance so there is still movement happening. Good luck to everyone.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Anyone know how long it takes for financial aid to come through once we do all the steps (Entrance Counseling, 2020-2021 Grad Plus application, Unsubsidized Master Promissory Note, Grad Plus Master Promissory Note)???

Anyone know how long it takes for financial aid to come through once we do all the steps (Entrance Counseling, 2020-2021 Grad Plus application, Unsubsidized Master Promissory Note, Grad Plus Master Promissory Note)???
I'm guessing you're asking when it'll show up on your student portal? Depends on a few things like: when you got accepted, when or if you turned in your Fafsa/GradPlus apps, when Fafsa/GradPlus actually send your app to the school and when Financial Aid office gets to your turn and process it - could take between a few days to a couple weeks. Regardless of how long it takes, you will get both processed before your semester starts in July. Refunds are sent usually a week after school starts. Hopefully that helps! PM if you have any other questions you don't feel comfortable asking out here.

• Love
Got the acceptance call tonight off the waitlist!! Don’t give up hope yet y’all!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Anyone know when in person activities start? I know classes start on the 20th but when do we actually need to be on campus?

Anyone know when in person activities start? I know classes start on the 20th but when do we actually need to be on campus?
Word I'm hearing is - only lectures & exams, at least for the first block, will be online but labs will be in-person. These labs (i.e. OMM, PCP) will be conducted in groups at the beginning of the week for 1st years while second years will be held later in the week to minimize the amount of people in the building (subject to change). The school is adhering to the state's regulation on COVID but at the same time its trying to make sure we are safe while we get the best training.

That being said - you need to be in Las Cruces 2 weeks before the 13th of July for 1st years regardless of your orientation being virtual.

OMM & PCP labs usually start somewhere between 2nd week - 3rd week of August for first years.

Last edited: