2019-2020 Columbia VP&S

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I feel like I'll be getting a WL or an R. This was the last decision I was waiting for, so it'll be nice to have closure either way. I'm really fortunate to have had some great outcomes and am excited to make a decision. Best of luck to everyone still waiting for Columbia or other schools!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So does anyone know how big the waitlist typically is?

Reactions: 1 user
Here’s to one more big wave of calls after 5 pm.
Earlier in the cycle, I felt like I had a slam dunk interview and then I watched as everyone on SDN got a call but me. Like three days later I got an email in the middle of the night from the dean congratulating me on my acceptance. It ain’t over till it’s over.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Here’s to one more big wave of calls after 5 pm.
mdsx0s6g-1-jpg.297344

i wanna give up but I haven’t seen my interviewer’s initials posted yet...

Reactions: 6 users
Earlier in the cycle, I felt like I had a slam dunk interview and then I watched as everyone on SDN got a call but me. Like three days later I got an email in the middle of the night from the dean congratulating me on my acceptance. It ain’t over till it’s over.
Wait what?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received a call from my second interviewer - confirming calls are still being made!

Reactions: 11 users
At this point, if we haven’t heard from either interviewer, it’s unlikely to be an A. Honestly just hoping for a WL instead of R tomorrow.

Reactions: 1 users
At this point, if we haven’t heard from either interviewer, it’s unlikely to be an A. Honestly just hoping for a WL instead of R tomorrow.
It’s ridiculous they don’t just release results late in the night. It’s torture to see all these As and have to wait another night

I’m gonna practice good mental health and be grateful for the other wonderful schools that have accepted me. At this point, either way it goes here it was an honor to interview at Columbia. Congrats everybody! If you’re still waiting, keep your head up you’ll make amazing doctors no matter where you go.

Reactions: 16 users
My second interviewer (GB) just called. Calls are still going out!!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
That’s super reassuring but @All_might75 makes a good point. The chances of both of your interviewers being busy and unable to make calls is slim.

Lurker here - I didn’t apply to Columbia but made an account so I could comment on how unnecessarily anxiety-provoking their decision release protocol is. Can’t imagine what today must’ve been like for you all, hang in there everyone!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Also made an account because of how crazy this process has been... BUT I did apply and I'm wondering cuz i had MD and DB as interviewers but doesn't seem like anyone has received calls from either of these people... don't know how to feel or what to think??? did anyone who interviewed with these guys get a call? even if it was from someone else.. have had severe anxiety all day

Also made an account because of how crazy this process has been... BUT I did apply and I'm wondering cuz i had MD and DB as interviewers but doesn't seem like anyone has received calls from either of these people... don't know how to feel or what to think??? did anyone who interviewed with these guys get a call? even if it was from someone else.. have had severe anxiety all day
I didn’t interview with them but am in the same boat with ESC and EK. I feel your pain. Really feel it. We got this.

I didn’t interview with them but am in the same boat with ESC and EK. I feel your pain. Really feel it. We got this.
I had MD and ESC and haven't heard anything either.

i know SDN is a small sample size but it doesn't seem like all applicants have been notified? even relative to previous years, for some reason it seems like less people reporting...

if ANYONE got JS or EK, would you help a fellow applicant out and send me a PM? i know JS sits on the adcom so i'm sure he's made some calls....

EDIT: i'm going through the 7 stages of grief except i went through acceptance first and now i'm in denial
Same with HT (Peds) and MS (neuro). Do a neurotic applicant a favor and send me a pm if you heard from them.

Honestly, I’m really happy other people are in the same boat, with no one having heard anything from their interviewer. I’m not personally religious, but one of the RNs at my work today said she’s praying for all of us, so we got that!

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Nothing from JS and SK and felt really good about both interviews!

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Methinks some of our interviewers were selecting solely for WL and Rs lmao :,)

• Dislike
as an update, many people have messaged me saying they had JS but heard nothing so I'm going to go with either he had nobody he interviewed that got in (unlikely) or they are all non SDN users or are lurkers (unlikely) or he didn't do calls today (unlikely)...something's not adding up lmao

Yeah I had DQ + a student and have only seen one person report getting a call from him

Methinks some of our interviewers were selecting solely for WL and Rs lmao :,)

I think this is a valid theory cuz i just checked last year's thread and people who were in the same boat (no calls from their interviewers) got WL but i just kinda skimmed it so could be wrong... but at least i saw one of them who got WL eventually got accepted!

I think this is a valid theory cuz i just checked last year's thread and people who were in the same boat (no calls from their interviewers) got WL but i just kinda skimmed it so could be wrong... but at least i saw one of them who got WL eventually got accepted!
That’s a cruel and stupid system if true smh

Reactions: 1 user
That’s a cruel and stupid system if true smh
Lol guys there is literally no way that’s possible

Maybe because this is the first year with two interviewers some things have gotten confused? I mean that is a notable change

Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone hear from someone who didn’t interview them?

Gosh I hate to be that person... but unless your interviewer is a surgeon (because they could have been operating) the calls are probably done. There have been some cases of an interviewer calling late or the next day but those were very rare instances that I would not bank on that being the case today . With that being said, I do want to say that there is definitely waitlist movement here at the school! A lot of kids in our class and past classes came off the waitlist. My biggest advice would be if you really want to come here is to keep sending updates and even a letter of intent if you’re truly interested. Trust me, although Columbia wouldn’t ever have a problem filling up their class they tend to keep a very close eye on applicants who show they’re serious about wanting to go there.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 7 users