2019-2020 Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have the post II acceptance rate data?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! :love: So excited for the journey ahead.

Reactions: 13 users
In the admission email there is a link to a class guide and in the class guide it has a link to the FB page. It’s actually the class of 2023 class guide lol.
Mine does this as well. I'm guessing it's early enough that they just haven't updated it yet. I just sent an email to see when they think it'll be updated/when they will make the new facebook group so I'll follow up on here!

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry if this has been answered before, but "DMU Initial Review of Application Items" box still says "not received" next to it even though I've submitted everything over 2 weeks ago. Did this happen to anybody else?

Sorry if this has been answered before, but "DMU Initial Review of Application Items" box still says "not received" next to it even though I've submitted everything over 2 weeks ago. Did this happen to anybody else?

Yeah I’m in the same boat :/

Mine took about 9-10 days at the beginning of August. There may just be a longer delay because they are processing more applications.

hey guys..looking for input from anyone that goes here...this is my dream school and my letter writer went here. I have a 3.8 post bacc gpa, 3.38 undergrad gpa, and really strong ECs..but i just took the september mcat, and think I completely underperformed and got a sub 500 score. If i took the first available January mcat and got a 510+, would I still be able to get an interview if I was complete in say february?! anyone know of anyone applying that late here and being successful? it says on their website they accept january 2020 scores. I know theres always next cycle but I really don't want to wait. Thanks!

hey guys..looking for input from anyone that goes here...this is my dream school and my letter writer went here. I have a 3.8 post bacc gpa, 3.38 undergrad gpa, and really strong ECs..but i just took the september mcat, and think I completely underperformed and got a sub 500 score. If i took the first available January mcat and got a 510+, would I still be able to get an interview if I was complete in say february?! anyone know of anyone applying that late here and being successful? it says on their website they accept january 2020 scores. I know theres always next cycle but I really don't want to wait. Thanks!

Wait to see what you got on the MCAT. Chances are you did better than you think, and right now you're simply speculating. There's nothing to worry about until there is something to worry about!

Wait for the MCAT. Also its never as easy as "oh I'll just get a 510 next time". I wouldn't recommend applying in January

Reactions: 4 users
Like everyone has said, wait for your MCAT. Just something to think about, when I took the MCAT earlier this year, I too felt defeated and was not sure what I'd do. I ended up out-performing all my scores except for CARS. The difficulty likely means it was a good test and you did fine.

Like everyone has said, wait for your MCAT. Just something to think about, when I took the MCAT earlier this year, I too felt defeated and was not sure what I'd do. I ended up out-performing all my scores except for CARS. The difficulty likely means it was a good test and you did fine.
+1

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know when scholarship info is sent out? Or is that something we have to apply for later on?

Anyone know when scholarship info is sent out? Or is that something we have to apply for later on?
There ain't a ton of scholarship options, but the stuff that's available will go out later on

Anybody got an II without sending the CASPER? I don't know how I did, so I am a bit nervous. Also, how long did it take for yall to be complete?

Anybody got an II without sending the CASPER? I don't know how I did, so I am a bit nervous. Also, how long did it take for yall to be complete?

It’s been over 2 weeks and I’m still waiting to be complete. I think the CASPER is just recommended so you don’t need it to be considered for an interview, but the extra information could help them

I was invited without sending CASPer, but sent it in before my interview date. Had to take it for other schools so i figured I may as well send it.

I was invited without sending CASPer, but sent it in before my interview date. Had to take it for other schools so i figured I may as well send it.

Getting nervous about my interview, 10/4. I really want to attend next Fall and it's my first interview. Congrats on that A @red_tangoes! Please share your tips :)

Getting nervous about my interview, 10/4. I really want to attend next Fall and it's my first interview. Congrats on that A @red_tangoes! Please share your tips :)

My best tips would be to just know your application and to be yourself. I guess that applies to every interview though, haha.

I had a two-on-one interview and didn’t find it intimidating at all. I actually found it really nice to be able to bounce between the interviewers when giving my answers instead of just having super long eye contact with one person, lol. They had my application and asked me about certain courses or grades that stood out. Some people would hate to be asked about a lower than average performance, but I would much rather talk about that than something like the healthcare policies currently being discussed by the DNC candidates.

Overall, I found it to be a very pleasant interview. Didn’t feel grilled at all. Pretty much all the interviewees felt the same way that day.

I can’t wait to start! The school is awesome and the city of Des Moines seemed great!

I wish you and everyone else the best of luck on your interview day!

Reactions: 4 users
My best tips would be to just know your application and to be yourself. I guess that applies to every interview though, haha.

I had a two-on-one interview and didn’t find it intimidating at all. I actually found it really nice to be able to bounce between the interviewers when giving my answers instead of just having super long eye contact with one person, lol. They had my application and asked me about certain courses or grades that stood out. Some people would hate to be asked about a lower than average performance, but I would much rather talk about that than something like the healthcare policies currently being discussed by the DNC candidates.

Overall, I found it to be a very pleasant interview. Didn’t feel grilled at all. Pretty much all the interviewees felt the same way that day.

I can’t wait to start! The school is awesome and the city of Des Moines seemed great!

I wish you and everyone else the best of luck on your interview day!
Reading the old threads about DMU interviews made me nervous because a lot of them said it was a very behavioral based interview. Like “tell me of a time...” but this is nice to hear! Hoping to have the same experience on 11/8!

Reading the old threads about DMU interviews made me nervous because a lot of them said it was a very behavioral based interview. Like “tell me of a time...” but this is nice to hear! Hoping to have the same experience on 11/8!

LOTS of questions on team stuff, like how you interact with team members, how you deal with difficult team members, etc.. so be ready for those! I didn’t have any other behavioral time questions

It wouldn’t be a bad idea to be ready for those sort of questions.

I don’t remember getting one like that. Mine were basically about myself, my app, why DMU of course, and that was basically it. 4-5 questions.

LOTS of questions on team stuff, like how you interact with team members, how you deal with difficult team members, etc.. so be ready for those! I didn’t have any other behavioral time questions
It wouldn’t be a bad idea to be ready for those sort of questions.

I don’t remember getting one like that. Mine were basically about myself, my app, why DMU of course, and that was basically it. 4-5 questions.
Thanks guys!

For anyone accepted, Congrats!!!! What is the breakdown and deadline of deposit payments due? I see online that It's $1500, but it says installments.

For anyone accepted, Congrats!!!! What is the breakdown and deadline of deposit payments due? I see online that It's $1500, but it says installments.

Depends when you’re accepted. I think you can find the payment deadlines on their site.

I believe if you are accepted before December (?) you have until December 14th to make the first payment of $750. Then we have until May-ish to pay the second half.

But if you’re accepted later you may have to pay it within a month, a few weeks, a week, few days, or even immediately. All depends how far along the cycle we are.

Depends when you’re accepted. I think you can find the payment deadlines on their site.

I believe if you are accepted before December (?) you have until December 14th to make the first payment of $750. Then we have until May-ish to pay the second half.

But if you’re accepted later you may have to pay it within a month, a few weeks, a week, few days, or even immediately. All depends how far along the cycle we are.
Thank you!! I don't even have an II at this point haha. I just want to be (optimistically) financially prepared. Paying for apps has been such a financial drain.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you!! I don't even have an II at this point haha. I just want to be (optimistically) financially prepared. Paying for apps has been such a financial drain.
It is an absolute drain.

I'm disgusted with how much I spent. Currently trying to work overtime to lessen the investment as well as still have fun this year.

@PreDPTnovice, you got this! It's still very early in the cycle :)

• Love
I submitted my application in August and got an email about 2 weeks later that my application was being put on hold. What are my chances of getting an interview if this happens. Trying to be realistic about my odds lol thanks!

I submitted my application in August and got an email about 2 weeks later that my application was being put on hold. What are my chances of getting an interview if this happens. Trying to be realistic about my odds lol thanks!

Not an Adcom, but I'm sure you have a good shot since they interview till March(?) and plenty of people would withdraw their A's or II's if they get MD invites or acceptances. Work on other applications as well as focus on strengthening your application in case it doesn't happen because you're never done until you get that A!

On a side note, I will be arriving to DSM the morning before my interview. I am already planning on checking out the campus to know where I have to go come interview day, but should I do any more like ask current students I see on campus or check out the admissions office?

Not an Adcom, but I'm sure you have a good shot since they interview till March(?) and plenty of people would withdraw their A's or II's if they get MD invites or acceptances. Work on other applications as well as focus on strengthening your application in case it doesn't happen because you're never done until you get that A!

On a side note, I will be arriving to DSM the morning before my interview. I am already planning on checking out the campus to know where I have to go come interview day, but should I do any more like ask current students I see on campus or check out the admissions office?
The admissions office is like 20x20. Nothing to check out. Plus the campus isn't very big at all either. When you get there, go upstairs into the admissions office and there are chairs. Don't stress too much its not like you're expected to know your way around or anything

Do they soft reject? I have been complete since 7/12 I think and haven't heard a word.

Do they soft reject? I have been complete since 7/12 I think and haven't heard a word.
Its sooooooooo early. I know its hard but I know people who literally got accepted the day before orientation. Patience is key. There's also a ton of waitlist movement usually because DMU has a lot of MD caliber applicants. Basically what I'm tryin to make sure everybody knows is it ain't over till its over

Reactions: 3 users
To those getting interviews and acceptances, do you mind sharing your stats? DMU is my dream school and I would like to gauge if my stats are similar or close enough! Thank you to all in advance who reply!

I have a LizzyM of 67

To those getting interviews and acceptances, do you mind sharing your stats? DMU is my dream school and I would like to gauge if my stats are similar or close enough! Thank you to all in advance who reply!

LM 67, WARS 72

Anyone who interviewed 9/13 hear back yet? Hoping we can learn by Friday.

LM 71

Pretty sure they have the 90 day deadline for a decision. Let us know if you hear back by then? I was complete just a week after you and haven't hear back yet.

At the interview they said they usually have a decision in 2 weeks (accepted, rejected, or wait listed)

Still waiting on mine and it's been 2 weeks now so looks like we're all waiting :)