2019-2020 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry for the confusion but is orientation truly 8-6 every day? Or is it just one or two days and some activities throughout the week?

Yes. You will have a community service day on one of those days and that will be a half day, but from what I remember the other days were 8-5. There were also two optional socials in the evening, which were pretty fun!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
The biggest clue to the importance of the med kit was the fact that several second years were selling there's (minus stethoscope) to incoming first years.
You will need it for Score 1 though.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
thank you all for the information! i’m probably not going to buy anything soon but will likely browse online during this social distancing period
anyone have recommendations for stethoscopes? i have looked at the littmann classic iii and cardiology iv, but was wondering if anyone (or the school) has recommendations

Reactions: 2 users
current students, what books do we physically need to buy?
None to start. There are digital versions shared among the class for everything you'll need. I recommend buying a physical copy of Big Robbins, but you won't need it until the end of the spring semester.

if you really think you will use them, wait until you get into town and people will be selling them left and right on FB. I bought a few for cheap but honestly I've barely cracked them open...

PDFs, plus the school iPad, plus my proprietary stylus has transformed me into a paperless student and I love it.

if you really think you will use them, wait until you get into town and people will be selling them left and right on FB. I bought a few for cheap but honestly I've barely cracked them open...

PDFs, plus the school iPad, plus my proprietary stylus has transformed me into a paperless student and I love it.
thanks y'all
None to start. There are digital versions shared among the class for everything you'll need. I recommend buying a physical copy of Big Robbins, but you won't need it until the end of the spring semester.

thank you all for the information! i’m probably not going to buy anything soon but will likely browse online during this social distancing period
anyone have recommendations for stethoscopes? i have looked at the littmann classic iii and cardiology iv, but was wondering if anyone (or the school) has recommendations
I really like my Cardio IV

Members don't see this ad :)
I’ll second this

If only I studied for the MCAT or undergrad in general the way i study now......

I actually really liked having the physical copy of Panini, and Costanza WOULD HAVE been nice to have but now there is no use for me to buy it
Other than that, nothing until Robbins rolls around and Step 1 prep

I really like my Cardio IV

I second the lit cardio IV, i LOVE LOVE LOVE mine

Zero. I have not bought a single book (I guess with the exception of the Pathoma companion book that comes with the video subscription). Everything is digital when you want to reference things and you almost never need to read the entire book for anything. Big Robbins? Nahhh, get on that outline life

**for those who aren't current students, someone made outlines out of all of the Robbins chapters so that we don't have to suffer through reading the actual book

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Zero. I have not bought a single book (I guess with the exception of the Pathoma companion book that comes with the video subscription). Everything is digital when you want to reference things and you almost never need to read the entire book for anything. Big Robbins? Nahhh, get on that outline life

**for those who aren't current students, someone made outlines out of all of the Robbins chapters so that we don't have to suffer through reading the actual book
will this someone be sharing this? :)

And after they figure out how to effectively study in med school, they’ll be begging for the SFM days back.
I never struggled in biochem or immuno. MSK was my med school butt kicking.

Reactions: 3 users
Man I was terrified in SFM. Had no idea if I was studying correctly or not. I'll never forget Dr. Shynra starting class with "You cannot learn all of immunology in 1 week, but you must"

I also foolishly decided not to check my grade after the exam and spent the next 4 days worrying about it when it turns out I did just fine.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I’m just gonna say it... what’s SFM?

It was the complete opposite for me. I loved MSK. SFM is the only class in med school so far that I didn’t get an A in... but with motivation at an all time low and GIGU all online, I have a feeling I may be taking an L in this class. Lol. Maybe I’ll find my motivation for MOD.

It was the complete opposite for me. I loved MSK. SFM is the only class in med school so far that I didn’t get an A in... but with motivation at an all time low and GIGU all online, I have a feeling I may be taking an L in this class. Lol. Maybe I’ll find my motivation for MOD.
I feel you. I’m struggling hardcore to focus. I have a feeling everyone in the class is taking an L

It wasn't a matter of loving it or not, my undergrad degree was in Cell and Molecular Bio. It made more sense and I didnt have to study at all really.

It wasn't a matter of loving it or not, my undergrad degree was in Cell and Molecular Bio. It made more sense and I didnt have to study at all really.
my bad, when I say “loved MSK”, I just meant it came easy to me. It had been 3-4 years since I had genetics, biochem, and immuno.

SFM was FOR SURE! My worst course. I remember thinking "if this is med school, imma fail the next 4 years"
Then all our other classes came and were SO SO SO DIFFERENT from SFM thank god!!!!!!

Man I was terrified in SFM. Had no idea if I was studying correctly or not. I'll never forget Dr. Shynra starting class with "You cannot learn all of immunology in 1 week, but you must"
^^^^ THIS
Oh my god! I don't think i have heard anything more terrifying than this in my entire life

SFM was FOR SURE! My worst course. I remember thinking "if this is med school, imma fail the next 4 years"
Then all our other classes came and were SO SO SO DIFFERENT from SFM thank god!!!!!!

^^^^ THIS
Oh my god! I don't think i have heard anything more terrifying than this in my entire life
Have to remember too they took 6 to 7 weeks of material and smashed them into 4 weeks. You all got to be Guinea pigs like we did on anatomy practicals last year

Reading this knowing my study skills will likely need serious revamping once I start med school is making me sweat hard

Reading this knowing my study skills will likely need serious revamping once I start med school is making me sweat hard
are you sure you don't have a fever?

I'm sorry, perhaps that's uncalled for but I couldn't resist. Regarding your study skills, don't stress now. Plenty of time to do that once you've actually begun. One thing that keeps me grounded is remembering all the folks who have gone through this before me. I think about all the docs I know, or look at the big wall of donors in the academic center lobby, or even all the second years on campus. All those people made it through and so will you. It is very doable. I'll wager that you can even do it while retaining your sanity, sleep and exercise regimen.

Reactions: 4 users
are you sure you don't have a fever?

I'm sorry, perhaps that's uncalled for but I couldn't resist. Regarding your study skills, don't stress now. Plenty of time to do that once you've actually begun. One thing that keeps me grounded is remembering all the folks who have gone through this before me. I think about all the docs I know, or look at the big wall of donors in the academic center lobby, or even all the second years on campus. All those people made it through and so will you. It is very doable. I'll wager that you can even do it while retaining your sanity, sleep and exercise regimen.

Thank you for the kind words, I was mostly joking but the advice from the other students here is really uplifting and invaluable! Any tips on what to do and what not to as a med student as opposed to undergrad?

Thank you for the kind words, I was mostly joking but the advice from the other students here is really uplifting and invaluable! Any tips on what to do and what not to as a med student as opposed to undergrad?
Dont procrastinate!

Don't be nervous! I think you'd be hard pressed to find a single individual who is prepared for what studying in med school means. Honestly, when I was a pre-med I thought it was overblown when the med students I knew said you really couldn't understand med school until you did it, but it's 100% truth. There is no way to prepare yourself. Each and every one of your classmates will be in the same boat, feeling the same way, when school starts. It will be overwhelming, but know that each of us before you has gone through the same process and for the most part, we've all succeeded. You've got this!

Reactions: 5 users
quick question y'all! but i like studying not in my apartment bc i can't focus so i tend to study at school like in the library or whatnot. is it safe to stay on campus til late? like past midnight? and if possible, can you call up security to walk you to your car? also are cars safe to be left on campus that late also? i'm hearing of a lot of break-ins for cars at apartments near campus.

quick question y'all! but i like studying not in my apartment bc i can't focus so i tend to study at school like in the library or whatnot. is it safe to stay on campus til late? like past midnight? and if possible, can you call up security to walk you to your car? also are cars safe to be left on campus that late also? i'm hearing of a lot of break-ins for cars at apartments near campus.
Security will walk you back to your car if you call them. The parking lot is very safe, I have never heard of cars in the lot being broken into. The surrounding area is another story, but you shouldn't have a problem walking to and from your car.

You are like me. I study at school for that reason. In Joplin, the building closes at midnight. Security will walk you to your car, but honestly, the Joplin campus is in a safe area. My KC colleague commented above on how it is different in KC. I would honestly say at either campus you will be safe.

This whole campus closed/studying in my apartment is killing me right now.

Sent from my SM-G970U using SDN mobile

I know this topic has been asked as nauseam but when do they start pulling from the wait list?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Security will walk you back to your car if you call them. The parking lot is very safe, I have never heard of cars in the lot being broken into. The surrounding area is another story, but you shouldn't have a problem walking to and from your car.
You are like me. I study at school for that reason. In Joplin, the building closes at midnight. Security will walk you to your car, but honestly, the Joplin campus is in a safe area. My KC colleague commented above on how it is different in KC. I would honestly say at either campus you will be safe.

This whole campus closed/studying in my apartment is killing me right now.

Sent from my SM-G970U using SDN mobile
thanks y'all! this is definitely helpful. a girl in my city got murdered recently for ignoring a dude while walking to her car so i'm not playing with all this lmao. are you allowed to carry a taser in KC with a permit? do most of y'all carry some sort of "weapon" like a taser or pepper spray?

thanks y'all! this is definitely helpful. a girl in my city got murdered recently for ignoring a dude while walking to her car so i'm not playing with all this lmao. are you allowed to carry a taser in KC with a permit? do most of y'all carry some sort of "weapon" like a taser or pepper spray?
I'm not sure about the taser thing. I carry pepper spray on my keychain-- security gave them to us lol

awesome thank you for being so responsive! :)

If you're willing to have a self defence weapon on you, why not just get an affordable handgun? It'll last for a long time. I'm pretty sure you don't even need a license to conceal carry in Missouri, you can even open carry like a madman haha. Unless, of course, you dont want one cause they do a lot more damage to others, which is reasonable enough.

I suggest this cause you dont have to be up close to use it like pepper spray or a taser, seems safer IMO.

Alright bomb diggities, this may have already been answered, and I might have just missed the memo, but I've HEARD that second look day for the KC Campus on 4/20 (lol) is cancelled? Is that true?