2019-2020 Midwestern University, with campuses in (Glendale, Arizona) AZCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was thinking the same thing, because when I last checked the number of people in the AZCOM 2024 fb group about a week ago, it was like 150? Isn't their class size like 250?
You’re correct, their class size is 250-254. I didn’t know about the facebook group number though so that does make it seem like maybe they under-filled with acceptances. Does anyone have information on how many people are on the waitlist? I called admissions a while back but the only information they gave me was that they choose people up until the day classes start.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You’re correct, their class size is 250-254. I didn’t know about the facebook group number though so that does make it seem like maybe they under-filled with acceptances. Does anyone have information on how many people are on the waitlist? I called admissions a while back but the only information they gave me was that they choose people up until the day classes start.

If the give such late acceptances , how do people have time to make arrangements for loans and travel?

This may seem like a silly question but does anyone know if they actually filled their class before moving to the waitlist?

I heard from a few professors that the class was filled at the end of February, and then of course on May 15th when people had to declare a school a ton of seats opened up. Not sure how many people are on the waitlist. & they do pull from the waitlist until the day of orientation, I believe they will pull from people in Arizona at that point, just going off friends that I’ve had accepted that late in previous years, but not 100%. As long as you’ve filled out your FAFSA ahead of time I would imagine they work with you on the loans part!

Members don't see this ad :)
If the give such late acceptances , how do people have time to make arrangements for loans and travel?
I would think that the people who get accepted that late are more likely to be local or at least in state but that isn’t always the case so I guess people just have to scramble? I don’t actually know, I’m just guessing. Also with the pandemic some schools are requiring that students arrive 2 weeks prior to their start date to self-quarantine. Not sure where AZCOM stands on that even though Arizona has seen a surge in COVID-19 cases since reopening.

I withdrew my acceptance last week, so I'm sure there has been/will be some more movement off the waitlist!

Reactions: 4 users
Just gave up my acceptance, good luck to all of you!

Reactions: 2 users
Is it too late to apply? Are a lot of you on the waitlist? If so, how were your stats? gpa or gre wise if you dont mind me asking? I have around a 2.87 and am wondering if I should even apply.

• Wow
Is it too late to apply? Are a lot of you on the waitlist? If so, how were your stats? gpa or gre wise if you dont mind me asking? I have around a 2.87 and am wondering if I should even apply.

It is far too late to apply for 2019-2020 cycle, however you can apply for the new 2020-2021 cycle. I would maybe consider doing some post-bac work to increase your GPA prior to applying though.

For accepted applicants: Unless your current transcript is different from your AACOMAS transcript during verification, there is No need to re-submit transcript. They will download from there. Source: I just called them.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I had heard from somewhere that there’s a bigger deposit due in June and there’s usually movement at that point? Anyone know when that is or if this is accurate? Also anyone know the commit to enroll date for azcom?

I had heard from somewhere that there’s a bigger deposit due in June and there’s usually movement at that point? Anyone know when that is or if this is accurate? Also anyone know the commit to enroll date for azcom?
I mean my deposit was only $200?

I mean my deposit was only $200?
Must’ve misheard that then! Thanks. Are you aware of any final “commit to enroll date” or is the deposit really the only other “deadline” accepted students had

Must’ve misheard that then! Thanks. Are you aware of any final “commit to enroll date” or is the deposit really the only other “deadline” accepted students had
I think that was it! I haven’t heard or seen anything about other deadlines

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like you don’t have a great handle on how the app process works. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me and I’ll catch you up on what you’ll need.

Accepted checklist populated last night! How soon do you get the official email/letter?

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know how full the class is? The fb group only has 200 people in it
Facebook groups aren’t always accurate counts of how many people are in the class but it looks like they’re getting closer to filling up the class. I think there will continue to be waitlist movement though.

Accepted checklist populated last night! How soon do you get the official email/letter?
I saw my checklist on Monday and still haven't gotten an official letter. I called though and they said the counselors are getting around to it still because it's a process from when you're accepted to when they get your info.

I'm on the waitlist but my MCAT is on the lower side, what are the chances I get taken off the waitlist?

I'm on the waitlist but my MCAT is on the lower side, what are the chances I get taken off the waitlist?
It’s hard to predict what anyone’s chances are. They did say their waitlist is unranked and I truly do think admissions does a holistic review so don’t count yourself out because of your MCAT score. I know people who did the master’s program and got into AZCOM with an MCAT below 500 in the past.

It’s hard to predict what anyone’s chances are. They did say their waitlist is unranked and I truly do think admissions does a holistic review so don’t count yourself out because of your MCAT score. I know people who did the master’s program and got into AZCOM with an MCAT below 500 in the past.

Where/ how late in the cycle were they accepted ?

any chance you know what their GPA was in the masters program?
No, that’s not something we shared with each other. I understand your stress though. Right now just focus on the things you can control right now like your studying/reapp and hope for the best otherwise! I’m not expecting to hear back until July, anything before that would be a sweet surprise.

anyone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they're mostly pulling AZ residents or residents of a nearby state off the waitlist (because it would probably be easier for them to get housing, payment, etc together before the school year begins). I've messaged a few students who were pulled off the waitlist and most were AZ residents. I think the school might be hesitant about pulling ppl from other states or international students off the waitlist, given the current circumstances and public health recommendations (quarantine for X amount of days after travelling, etc.)...

Reactions: 3 users
anyone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they're mostly pulling AZ residents or residents of a nearby state off the waitlist (because it would probably be easier for them to get housing, payment, etc together before the school year begins). I've messaged a few students who were pulled off the waitlist and most were AZ residents. I think the school might be hesitant about pulling ppl from other states or international students off the waitlist, given the current circumstances and public health recommendations (quarantine for X amount of days after travelling, etc.)...
What you’re saying makes sense and I’d believe it fully if they were weeks from starting orientation. But wouldn’t it also make sense to consider oos or international students around this time so that they could potentially have that time to prepare? Not trying to make a point, just thinking out loud lol

What you’re saying makes sense and I’d believe it fully if they were weeks from starting orientation. But wouldn’t it also make sense to consider oos or international students around this time so that they could potentially have that time to prepare? Not trying to make a point, just thinking out loud lol
Yeah I'd have to agree with you! I'm international, so if I don't hear back from them by the end of the month then I may just have to accept my fate and submit that re-app, because getting a student visa on such short notice will be really difficult with COVID restrictions in place.

Yeah I'd have to agree with you! I'm international, so if I don't hear back from them by the end of the month then I may just have to accept my fate and submit that re-app, because getting a student visa on such short notice will be really difficult with COVID restrictions in place.
That’s a tough spot to be in, I hope admissions is considering these types of situations in favor of you and other applicants who may be oos or international.

Given that the state has seen an increase in COVID cases recently, I do think it will have some affect on admissions. Whether that means possibly hearing back sooner or them only considering in-state applicants is speculation. I suppose the only way we would find out is by asking them.

I heard AdCom meets on Thursdays, anyone know if there's any truth to that?
i

I've heard multiple people be saying this throughout the application cycle, and I know recently most people seem to be seeing their portal updated on Tuesdays so it would make sense. But again, a lot of things seem to be abnormal this cycle so its hard to say

I was accepted on Monday! I’m OOS, interviewed in February. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone know how full the class is? The fb group only has 200 people in it
Would take the number of fb members in the group with a grain of salt because there’s at least a handful in there who are upperclassmen!

The past three (reported) movements have all been on Mondays each two weeks apart. I'm just going to assume that that's their schedule in releasing decisions off the waitlist. If there is any movement, my best guess is that the next one will be this upcoming Monday.

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted student here. School today sent an email about orientation, etc.
It also included:
“Right now, I am just confirming you are planning to still be a part of our class this fall. Please reply to this email to confirm your attendance.”

I imagine they are trying to decide if more students should be accepted.

Accepted student here. School today sent an email about orientation, etc.
It also included:
“Right now, I am just confirming you are planning to still be a part of our class this fall. Please reply to this email to confirm your attendance.”

I imagine they are trying to decide if more students should be accepted.
I didn’t get this email D: was it sent to your personal email?

AZCOM Alumni here... Please think long and hard before considering this school. I am pretty disappointed in them for multiple reasons, and in hindsight believe that ANY other school would have been a better choice. Allow me to provide my opinion as to why I would make my strongest recommendation against attending AZCOM:

1. The tuition is out of control. You do not get what you pay for. Don't expect there to be more opportunities because you are paying more. There will be less, and you will only incur more debt. Around 15 students from my class failed to match apparently, and a quarter of the class above me matched through the scramble. The administration will downplay just how much you will be discriminated against as a DO. I was asked if DO's learn acupuncture on the residency interview trail. I have colleagues who were told they were interviewed simply out of curiosity as the residency program 'did not typically take DO's', and were pimped on the spot during the interview to see how much they know. I was personally told by several chairmen of departments that being a DO alone hurts my chances of matching at their institution, regardless of my scores and publications.
2. Career advising is pathetic. While they certainly have faculty for fields like OB, FM, IM, and PEDS, I did not have any faculty in my field of interest, and they were not able to connect me to alumni who have gone into my field of interest. Had to navigate the match alone. The importance of USMLE was downplayed strongly by school officials. I took both COMLEX and USMLE. I matched. And I am pretty sure it had nothing to do with my COMLEX scores.
3. My rotation coordinator was prohibitive and completely awful. I was told bluntly that they did not want to do the paperwork for rotations I requested because they personally believed I would not get accepted by the other institution. I had to jump the chain of command on this and was ultimately accepted to said institution. I was told as an MS3 that they were often "too busy" processing rotation requests for MS4's. When I was an MS4, I set up nearly my own entire schedule via VSAS with little input from them... The specific rotation coordinator is now in a different administrative role.
4. The dean and other administration have a very condescending authoritarian tone throughout medical school. They are quick to call the class unprofessional, for, say, skipping a mandatory Friday lecture that covered the same content you had last week in pathology.
5. They did not hire a single prominent speaker for our graduation, white coat, or bridging ceremonies. This was particularly upsetting, considering how much money we pay each year ($71k x 260) and how much money they saved in the 3 months prior to my graduation since all rotations were canceled due to COVID19, as they no longer had to pay attendings for hosting students, a number I personally calculated could have been close to $900,000 for our class (~$2k per student per rotation).
6. This may be specific to me personally, but they failed their duty to protect my personal information, my social security number, and academic information such as transcripts, class rank, and deans letter. I got an email from a current student, about a month after I graduated, saying they accidentally accessed my information. The school had made it all public on its shared folders apparently. I got an email from the dean as well, saying they fixed the problem, and what was seemingly written by their legal team, they coercively claimed that the risk of compromise is low due to "facts and circumstances" that they would not comment on, nor would the dean. I am still awaiting clarification on these facts and circumstances, as to why I should not worry about my social security number going public. They also concluded that there was no "significant risk of financial, reputational, or other harm". They have not offered to provide me with identity theft insurance. This is also a blatant FERPA violation.
7. The school administration censored a student body-wide demonstration to show solidarity with the black community by kneeling because they were apparently concerned with "how it would look". After outrage from the current classes, and at least 3 years of alumni classes threatening to de-affiliate and commit to never donating a dollar, they elected to hold a vigil for George Floyd among other things.
8. Student representation, such as student government, was rarely included in major decisions. Expect to have to fight hard for otherwise minor changes. Only after a swath of complaints, did it seem like student government would be included in decisions after they were made.

Again, it is my opinion that this place is not worth the hassle. Please PM me if you have any questions. If you're going to go the DO route, try to incur as little debt as possible. You may not have the same opportunities as your MD colleagues, even with the same USMLE scores, so do what's right financially.

Reactions: 5 users
@Sanshui089 Thank you for sharing your experience. Do you know the average attrition rate and/or how many students have to repeat a year?

AZCOM Alumni here... Please think long and hard before considering this school. I am pretty disappointed in them for multiple reasons, and in hindsight believe that ANY other school would have been a better choice. Allow me to provide my opinion as to why I would make my strongest recommendation against attending AZCOM:

1. The tuition is out of control. You do not get what you pay for. Don't expect there to be more opportunities because you are paying more. There will be less, and you will only incur more debt. Around 15 students from my class failed to match apparently, and a quarter of the class above me matched through the scramble. The administration will downplay just how much you will be discriminated against as a DO. I was asked if DO's learn acupuncture on the residency interview trail. I have colleagues who were told they were interviewed simply out of curiosity as the residency program 'did not typically take DO's', and were pimped on the spot during the interview to see how much they know. I was personally told by several chairmen of departments that being a DO alone hurts my chances of matching at their institution, regardless of my scores and publications.
2. Career advising is pathetic. While they certainly have faculty for fields like OB, FM, IM, and PEDS, I did not have any faculty in my field of interest, and they were not able to connect me to alumni who have gone into my field of interest. Had to navigate the match alone. The importance of USMLE was downplayed strongly by school officials. I took both COMLEX and USMLE. I matched. And I am pretty sure it had nothing to do with my COMLEX scores.
3. My rotation coordinator was prohibitive and completely awful. I was told bluntly that they did not want to do the paperwork for rotations I requested because they personally believed I would not get accepted by the other institution. I had to jump the chain of command on this and was ultimately accepted to said institution. I was told as an MS3 that they were often "too busy" processing rotation requests for MS4's. When I was an MS4, I set up nearly my own entire schedule via VSAS with little input from them... The specific rotation coordinator is now in a different administrative role.
4. The dean and other administration have a very condescending authoritarian tone throughout medical school. They are quick to call the class unprofessional, for, say, skipping a mandatory Friday lecture that covered the same content you had last week in pathology.
5. They did not hire a single prominent speaker for our graduation, white coat, or bridging ceremonies. This was particularly upsetting, considering how much money we pay each year ($71k x 260) and how much money they saved in the 3 months prior to my graduation since all rotations were canceled due to COVID19, as they no longer had to pay attendings for hosting students, a number I personally calculated could have been close to $900,000 for our class (~$2k per student per rotation).
6. This may be specific to me personally, but they failed their duty to protect my personal information, my social security number, and academic information such as transcripts, class rank, and deans letter. I got an email from a current student, about a month after I graduated, saying they accidentally accessed my information. The school had made it all public on its shared folders apparently. I got an email from the dean as well, saying they fixed the problem, and what was seemingly written by their legal team, they coercively claimed that the risk of compromise is low due to "facts and circumstances" that they would not comment on, nor would the dean. I am still awaiting clarification on these facts and circumstances, as to why I should not worry about my social security number going public. They also concluded that there was no "significant risk of financial, reputational, or other harm". They have not offered to provide me with identity theft insurance. This is also a blatant FERPA violation.
7. The school administration censored a student body-wide demonstration to show solidarity with the black community by kneeling because they were apparently concerned with "how it would look". After outrage from the current classes, and at least 3 years of alumni classes threatening to de-affiliate and commit to never donating a dollar, they elected to hold a vigil for George Floyd among other things.
8. Student representation, such as student government, was rarely included in major decisions. Expect to have to fight hard for otherwise minor changes. Only after a swath of complaints, did it seem like student government would be included in decisions after they were made.

Again, it is my opinion that this place is not worth the hassle. Please PM me if you have any questions. If you're going to go the DO route, try to incur as little debt as possible. You may not have the same opportunities as your MD colleagues, even with the same USMLE scores, so do what's right financially.
Thanks for the post. A lot of what you stated is to be expected at a DO school. Anyone who thinks MD = DO in terms of reputation at elite residency programs is confused. I have heard from multiple people that AZCOM is not at all transparent with finances.
Your experiences with rotation planning is not universal however. Some students have said that it really depends on your coordinator.
I agree the school tries to downplay USMLE but they recently said 70% of students take it after a student asked them, which is a difficult number to downplay.

A lot of us don’t have option B (especially a month before orientation). I find it unnecessary to say something like “any other school would’ve been a better option”. That is not true since you have not attended every school. The best advice you can give in a thread full of incoming students relative to your experiences should be to know the numbers, see past rotation sites, match rates, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
accepted checklist just popped up for me! goodluck everyone!

Reactions: 6 users