2019-2020 Missouri - Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Missouri - Columbia

Members don't see this ad.

No secondaries yet? I'm gunning for Mizzou!

Members don't see this ad :)
I received a secondary on 7/15! IS

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Are the prompts the same as last year?

Here are the prompts for this year! I think they are the same as last year.

Please describe any element within your candidacy not fully addressed on the AMCAS application that you want the Admissions Committee to consider. Please include information regarding how you heard about our school, and any factors(programs, people, mission, geography etc.) that led you to apply. (2000 characters)

Please discuss (e.g. using specific personal traits, education, life experiences, etc.)
1.) how you will add to the overall diversity of the medical school and the practice of medicine AND
2.) how you will contribute to an inclusive learning environment at the medical school and the practice of medicine.
(2000 characters)

Reapplicant Essay
Have you previously applied to the University of Missouri – Columbia School of Medicine?
Yes No
In the space provided below, please provide the Admissions Committee with a brief application history (including when you first applied and the number of application attempts). Please describe in detail the ways in which this application is superior to your previous application(s).

Reactions: 1 users
Here are the prompts for this year! I think they are the same as last year.

Please describe any element within your candidacy not fully addressed on the AMCAS application that you want the Admissions Committee to consider. Please include information regarding how you heard about our school, and any factors(programs, people, mission, geography etc.) that led you to apply. (2000 characters)

Please discuss (e.g. using specific personal traits, education, life experiences, etc.)
1.) how you will add to the overall diversity of the medical school and the practice of medicine AND
2.) how you will contribute to an inclusive learning environment at the medical school and the practice of medicine.
(2000 characters)

Reapplicant Essay
Have you previously applied to the University of Missouri – Columbia School of Medicine?
Yes No
In the space provided below, please provide the Admissions Committee with a brief application history (including when you first applied and the number of application attempts). Please describe in detail the ways in which this application is superior to your previous application(s).

Thanks! Also, I just wanted to say that it’s kinda ironic the guy with a “cubs” username got the Mizzou secondary.

Cardinals >>> Cubs ❤️

Just called their Admissions Office this morning. IS applicants should be receiving their secondary either today, or Monday at the latest.

Also, as a heads up, Mizzou screens for hard minimum 3.0 sGPA and 494 MCAT. Furthermore, they also screen your coursework too.

Just called their Admissions Office this morning. IS applicants should be receiving their secondary either today, or Monday at the latest.

Also, as a heads up, Mizzou screens for hard minimum 3.0 sGPA and 494 MCAT. Furthermore, they also screen your coursework too.
Could you elaborate about what you mean by screen for courses?

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you elaborate about what you mean by screen for courses?

If you don’t meet one of their course requirements, such as not having a writing intensive course, they place a hold on your application until you notify them if/when you’ll take it (they’ll send an email you have to reply too).

You’ll still get a secondary, but you won’t be reviewed until you notify them.

Secondary received!!!!!!! IS

If we pay online, do we still need to send in the "mail in" portion of the application?

If we pay online, do we still need to send in the "mail in" portion of the application?
I don't think so. But the portal is straight out of 1995 so you still have to wonder...

Reactions: 2 users
I don't think so. But the portal is straight out of 1995 so you still have to wonder...
I'm wondering the same thing. The portal isn't the most intuitive thing in the world.

For the additional information essay, I basically wrote a "Why Mizzou"essay :/ I'm just kinda worried since it's just an "additional info" essay.

Any thoughts???

For the additional information essay, I basically wrote a "Why Mizzou"essay :/ I'm just kinda worried since it's just an "additional info" essay.

Any thoughts???

At least last year underneath the additional information essay it had "Please include information regarding how you heard about our school, and any factors (programs, people, mission, geography etc.) that led you to apply" so I think writing "why Mizzou" is fine here, that's what I'll be doing at least

At least last year underneath the additional information essay it had "Please include information regarding how you heard about our school, and any factors (programs, people, mission, geography etc.) that led you to apply" so I think writing "why Mizzou" is fine here, that's what I'll be doing at least
I think it's a "do you have connections" and "why Mizzou" essay. Even if it isn't, when in doubt do a "why this school" essay!

Here’s to hoping this IS boyo gets a secondary today, haha!

Finally got my secondary! IS

For my fellow IS applicants:

On the residency form, it has us fill out “activities and employment since last degree.” If I’m still in undergrad, do I assume it’s asking about activities and employment post High School?

is the secondary just the Out-of-State form for OOS applicant?

Anyone having a problem when checking off boxes under Mizzou Med Programs??
I tried clicking the boxes and saving them, but they're not saved whatsoever.

Yes I am. I only received the OOS form. No secondary link. Yes, I checked spam.
What are you supposed to answer in the OOS form? I'm trying to figure this out from reading last year's sdn

What are you supposed to answer in the OOS form? I'm trying to figure this out from reading last year's sdn

Basically, you answer why should they consider you based on categories such as socioeconomic disadvantaged, military service, MD/Ph.D., First gen, rural/urban, nontrad, and URM. Each category has space for an essay to expand on them.

Basically, you answer why should they consider you based on categories such as socioeconomic disadvantaged, military service, MD/Ph.D., First gen, rural/urban, nontrad, and URM. Each category has space for an essay to expand on them.
According to what I've read from last year's Mizzou med post, you DO get a secondary link along with OOS form. Hang in there :)

I could be wrong, but I believe they will only send OOS applicants a secondary if they are satisfied with your OOS form (aka they feel your linkages to the state or other reasoning is strong enough). Don't wait around for a secondary, fill out the OOS form and return it ASAP.

Also to anyone applying OOS - the form they gave us to fill out, unlike most secondary portals, does not contain spellcheck. Would recommended c/p your responses into word or google doc before submitting just to make sure you don't have any errors. I almost submitted with the words "MU School of Medcine"

So do I still need to mail in the secondary even if I paid for it online?

So do I still need to mail in the secondary even if I paid for it online?
Tried calling admission office about this, didn't pick up. But as of now, I'm assuming not because I paid my application fee thru online, and I don't think I'd have to send another payment through mail. Im going to confirm this tomorrow.

Secondary submitted! Fingers crossed extra tight for this one!

Tried calling admission office about this, didn't pick up. But as of now, I'm assuming not because I paid my application fee thru online, and I don't think I'd have to send another payment through mail. Im going to confirm this tomorrow.
Yeah I called like 5 times and it goes straight to voicemail lol

Secondary submitted! Fingers crossed extra tight for this one!
Are you going to mail in yours?
Also, were you able to see your MizzouMed programs that you checked off after you submitted your application? I tried million times trying to save my check mark, but it never saves. So I'll probably call them that I checked "Not Applicable"

Hey all,

Has anyone that submitted received a file complete email? It's been 7 days and I paid online so I figured I'd ask. Best of luck to everyone.

For my fellow IS applicants:

On the residency form, it has us fill out “activities and employment since last degree.” If I’m still in undergrad, do I assume it’s asking about activities and employment post-High School?

Bumping this to see if anyone might know. I can't get ahold of the Admissions Office as it keeps going to voicemail.

Did anyone have problems filling in the essays? When I put my answers in I have separate paragraphs but when I go to print preview, it's just one big blob. Any idea how to fix?

Did anyone have problems filling in the essays? When I put my answers in I have separate paragraphs but when I go to print preview, it's just one big blob. Any idea how to fix?
Likewise. I did not find a solution to this, so I just added a few words that would indicate a new paragraph is starting

Called and spoke with them today. If you pay your fee online, there's no need to mail anything in!