2021-2022 Missouri, Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Since "Mizzou" refers to all of its schools, does anyone know the proper abbreviation to use for just the SOM?

Since "Mizzou" refers to all of its schools, does anyone know the proper abbreviation to use for just the SOM?

I stopped trying to be decorous when the character counts started being a challenge. I called it all manner of things in my essays -- Mizzou, Mizzou Med, Mizzou SOM, MU, etc lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I stopped trying to be decorous when the character counts started being a challenge. I called it all manner of things in my essays -- Mizzou, Mizzou Med, Mizzou SOM, MU, etc lol
I really don't think they care. I maybe wouldn't use 5 different eponyms within your essays but alternating between Mizzou (Med) & MUMED/MUSOM will be fine.

As long as it doesn't sound silly when you read it aloud you'll most likely be ok :)

Also: Rising M4. Probably don't remember as much application stuff as the newer members around here but feel free to ask me questions and I'll do my best.

I really don't think they care. I maybe wouldn't use 5 different eponyms within your essays but alternating between Mizzou (Med) & MUMED/MUSOM will be fine.

As long as it doesn't sound silly when you read it aloud you'll most likely be ok :)

Also: Rising M4. Probably don't remember as much application stuff as the newer members around here but feel free to ask me questions and I'll do my best.

Haha fair advice — I think it sounds a lot more natural when reading it! I only alternate between two or so for one essay, but some essays have different ones to keep it from being incredibly repetitive :)

Hey Friends!

Rising M2 here so if you have any questions feel free to ask or DM me! I also did my undergraduate and graduate degrees here so I'd like to say that I am pretty well-versed in all things Mizzou.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Friends!

Rising M2 here so if you have any questions feel free to ask or DM me! I also did my undergraduate and graduate degrees here so I'd like to say that I am pretty well-versed in all things Mizzou.

Thank you for answering questions! How do you like Mizzou Med (and how is the culture of the students there/does the class generally get along and feel supportive)? Also, do you have any comments on the Springfield vs. Columbia clinical campuses? Sincerely another desi premed lol

Thank you for answering questions! How do you like Mizzou Med (and how is the culture of the students there/does the class generally get along and feel supportive)? Also, do you have any comments on the Springfield vs. Columbia clinical campuses? Sincerely another desi premed lol
I can't speak for other classes but I feel like my class has a big family feel. This may partially due to how COVID impacted our bonding so any time we got to interact as a class we really tried to make the most of us. PBL really does help with our bonding. We are in a group of 8 for 2 months and those other 7 people essentially become your lifeline while studying for the block because we're responsible for teaching each other the information we need to know. So there is a hidden initiative to get to know your group members and help build that teamwork. You'll find a lot of people like me will actually take initiative and cater our presentation to how other group members prefer to learn. Amongst the Mizzou classes especially those in their pre-clinical years you'll find us all say "You're only as good as your PBL group." So everyone really tries hard to get along with their group. Of course you'll have those few you could careless about PBL and teaching others but a majority of us aren't like that. The Mizzou Med environment is structured in a way to promote teamwork and cohesiveness. Mizzou doesn't rank their students so it eliminates the competitive nature amongst peers and at least for me the only one you're competing against that point is yourself.

TL;DR: If you thrive off of group learning and teamwork Mizzou Med is definitely the school you should apply to. If you're more of a traditional lecture and book learner then it may be in your best interest to apply to programs other than Mizzou because you not only be doing yourself a disservice to yourself but also to those in your PBL groups who are group learners.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 user
I can't speak for other classes but I feel like my class has a big family feel. This may partially due to how COVID impacted our bonding so any time we got to interact as a class we really tried to make the most of us. PBL really does help with our bonding. We are in a group of 8 for 2 months and those other 7 people essentially become your lifeline while studying for the block because we're responsible for teaching each other the information we need to know. So there is a hidden initiative to get to know your group members and help build that teamwork. You'll find a lot of people like me will actually take initiative and cater our presentation to how other group members prefer to learn. Amongst the Mizzou classes especially those in their pre-clinical years you'll find us all say "You're only as good as your PBL group." So everyone really tries hard to get along with their group. Of course you'll have those few you could careless about PBL and teaching others but a majority of us aren't like that. The Mizzou Med environment is structured in a way to promote teamwork and cohesiveness. Mizzou doesn't rank their students so it eliminates the competitive nature amongst peers and at least for me the only one you're competing against that point is yourself.

TL;DR: If you thrive off of group learning and teamwork Mizzou Med is definitely the school you should apply to. If you're more of a traditional lecture and book learner then it may be in your best interest to apply to programs other than Mizzou because you not only be doing yourself a disservice to yourself but also to those in your PBL groups who are group learners.

Hope that helps!

Super helpful! Thanks so much!

Secondary received, IS. Name, username, and password are glitched in the email displaying "<>".

Any chance you could post the prompts?
1. Please let us know information regarding how you heard about our school, and any factors (programs, people, mission, geography ect.) that led you to apply. (1200 characters)
2. Please discuss (e.g. using specific personal traits, education, life experiences, etc.) (2000 characters)
1) how you will add to the overall diversity of the medical school and the practice of medicine AND
2) how you will contribute to an inclusive learning environment at the medical school and the practice of medicine.
3. Has COVID-19 significantly impacted your medical school application? (Optional, 2000 characters)

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Please let us know information regarding how you heard about our school, and any factors (programs, people, mission, geography ect.) that led you to apply. (1200 characters)
2. Please discuss (e.g. using specific personal traits, education, life experiences, etc.) (2000 characters)
1) how you will add to the overall diversity of the medical school and the practice of medicine AND
2) how you will contribute to an inclusive learning environment at the medical school and the practice of medicine.
3. Has COVID-19 significantly impacted your medical school application? (Optional, 2000 characters)
Ah snap, did they get rid of the reapplicant essay this cycle?

Anyone know if the additional information section is optional? I usually use those as a "why us" essay but they already have a prompt for that

Anyone know if the additional information section is optional? I usually use those as a "why us" essay but they already have a prompt for that

I used it but I think given the why us + diversity prompts they already have, I can't imagine most would have much else to say

Anybody who's out of state received any word back on their out of state form? I filled it out about 2 weeks ago but haven't heard anything back...

If you weren't able to list anything in the W/A section, I think this could be a good place to talk about plans for next year. Otherwise, I think most of us would be fine leaving it blank.

anyone now if we can use the same answers from our outof state form?

Did they get rid of the: "Additional Information Essay. Please describe any element within your candidacy not fully addressed on the AMCAS application that you want the Admissions Committee to consider. 1,200 max characters"

Do they automatically send secondaries to IS? or is there a screening process

Did they get rid of the: "Additional Information Essay. Please describe any element within your candidacy not fully addressed on the AMCAS application that you want the Admissions Committee to consider. 1,200 max characters"

No it's still there

does anyone know if the OOS form is viewed by the admissions committee or seperate? not sure if I wanna use my whole diversity essay if im gonna be using it on my secondaries as well. Also, in regards to Rural/urban, do they wanna know if we had experience growing up and working with these populations. Sorry, i am just a bit confused by the wording. i have experience which is why i wanna do rural medicine but I wasn't sure what type of information they are looking for.

does anyone know if the OOS form is viewed by the admissions committee or seperate? not sure if I wanna use my whole diversity essay if im gonna be using it on my secondaries as well. Also, in regards to Rural/urban, do they wanna know if we had experience growing up and working with these populations. Sorry, i am just a bit confused by the wording. i have experience which is why i wanna do rural medicine but I wasn't sure what type of information they are looking for.
where on the secondary prompts does it talk about rural/urban?

Do they automatically send secondaries or do they they screen? How long does it take for us to get our secondaries?

Hi all! I’m an M2 here at Mizzou Med. I’m happy to help if anyone has questions at all about Mizzou Med. I’m not a graduate of Mizzou for undergrad, so I’m still learning the campus. But, I can help with anything and all med school related 💕

Do they automatically send secondaries or do they they screen? How long does it take for us to get our secondaries?
To answer your question, I believe they DO screen. Receiving a secondary depends on when your application was sent. If you’re OOS, it might take a little longer as it’s a state school and they tend to favor in-state applicants first. Best of luck!

I filled out the form (OOS with strong ties; girlfriend is a Missouri resident with all her family there) and I got their secondary
do you remember what day your form was completed & when you received the secondary?

do you remember what day your form was completed & when you received the secondary?
lol i got the secondary august 4th and submitted form July 16th. i have a 515 mcat with a 3.9x gpa and im urm if you need my other stats

lol i got the secondary august 4th and submitted form July 16th. i have a 515 mcat with a 3.9x gpa and im urm if you need my other stats
got it right as i posted this 🤦‍♀️ hahaha thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
Well damn lol, lived in Missouri for 4 years during undergrad and rejected as an OOS applicant.

damn i had no idea Rs were being sent out this early
Whoops! Should have clarified this was pre-Seconary as I needed to fill out the OOS Form and it looks my ties aren't strong enough to warrant a secondary!

Anyone else have issues paying the secondary application fee? I click the button but nothing happens.

OOS secondary received yesterday (8/9). No strong ties to Missouri. Georgia resident. Applied MD-PhD

any II news?
When they sent me my complete email after submitting the secondary, they said virtual interviews will be from October through February. I’m assuming the first IIs will go out probably mid to late September. However, I think this will probably be different if you applied ED.

September is classically early acceptance month. Only folks who applied for early acceptance are interviewed during this time. Historically II will probably go out around the middle of September or so.

Hi guys, current M1 at Mizzou here. Please feel free to reach out with any questions you have about the School of Medicine or Columbia in general. I was rejected my first year applying here and was accepted to multiple schools (including Mizzou) my second year, so I have lots of helpful "do's" and "don'ts."

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
When they sent me my complete email after submitting the secondary, they said virtual interviews will be from October through February. I’m assuming the first IIs will go out probably mid to late September. However, I think this will probably be different if you applied ED.
how long after submitting did you receive the complete email?

Just got handed an R, my OOS form was not up to their standards. Good luck everyone!!!

OOS form obtained: 8/2
OOS form subbed: 8/15
Denied: 8/30

Just received my secondary as an OOS. From the looks of it they must have sent them out in batches for people who finished their oos form recently.

Ok thanks! Has anyone who submitted in the last week and a half received a file complete email? Last year I got mine a couple days later but haven’t this year yet.

Just got the complete email, submitted 8/26