2019-2020 Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences (PNWU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II just now!! :) :) :) Complete 9/17/19!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
No one returns my emails or phone calls and it's been over a week lol

Do they even have an admissions office? About to call my credit card company and reverse the supplemental fee transaction since I haven't been sent self-service portal credentials, a prompt to upload my essay, or any correspondence from this school whatsoever.

Do they even have an admissions office? About to call my credit card company and reverse the supplemental fee transaction since I haven't been sent self-service portal credentials, a prompt to upload my essay, or any correspondence from this school whatsoever.
That must be frustrating... It took them one day to setup my self-service.
It takes 2-3 hours for them to respond to my emails.
Are you sure your payment went through?

Members don't see this ad :)
That must be frustrating... It took them one day to setup my self-service.
It takes 2-3 hours for them to respond to my emails.
Are you sure your payment went through?
Yeah, it went through, I received a confirmation from them, but they won't reply to me lol

Im interviewing Jan 10th. Wish me luck, just wish I could interview sooner.

Reactions: 1 users
Can any current students tell me what a typical week is like as far as class schedules go?

Can anyone verify: the supplemental application for this school only has a single prompt? I have only seen one that appears way down page 1. Any help appreciated.

Oops forgot to post the prompt. @PapaGuava

1. Write a one page, total, essay addressing the following question:
a. Describe personal experiences that have shaped your desire to attend an osteopathic medical school whose mission focuses on rural and/or medically underserved populations.

Can anyone verify: the supplemental application for this school only has a single prompt? I have only seen one that appears way down page 1. Any help appreciated.

Yes.

Reactions: 1 user

They do have an admissions office, their lead recruiter has been traveling out of state. Check your junk mail just in case credentials went there for the SSP. The supplemental prompt has not changed from year to year. Describe personal experiences that have shaped your desire to attend an osteopathic medical school whose mission focuses on rural and/or medically underserved populations.

Can any current students tell me what a typical week is like as far as class schedules go?
It’s typically 8-5 with some mandatory seminars/presentations in the evenings (not common). The hours are pretty much the same day to day but classes sometimes move around in the schedule from day to day. I’m sure an OMS can describe the details.
As you get farther along you’ll have more faculty directed study, and those are just recorded lectures but you can use a dedicated time to go through them or do it some other time. Lunch break 12-1 every day. There’s a lot of lunch time events by clubs, etc and admissions and the events all typically have food!

That’s the one you have quoted, also the same as I just posted for another person

I just got an II at 12:44pm!!!! I’m going to be there February 28 :)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II this afternoon. Application marked as committee on 10/16 and swapped to Interview today. No official email invite yet.

It’s typically 8-5 with some mandatory seminars/presentations in the evenings (not common). The hours are pretty much the same day to day but classes sometimes move around in the schedule from day to day. I’m sure an OMS can describe the details.
As you get farther along you’ll have more faculty directed study, and those are just recorded lectures but you can use a dedicated time to go through them or do it some other time. Lunch break 12-1 every day. There’s a lot of lunch time events by clubs, etc and admissions and the events all typically have food!

I’m not sure what seminars or presentations are mandatory after 5 you are referring to. Anything that goes after 5 has always been voluntary that I know of. The exception might be anatomy lab which can go long if your group is slow.

Classes are from 8-5 and I would say about 20-50% in a given week are mandatory mostly because of quizzes. This number goes down the farther into systems you get.

I’m not sure what seminars or presentations are mandatory after 5 you are referring to. Anything that goes after 5 has always been voluntary that I know of. The exception might be anatomy lab which can go long if your group is slow.

Classes are from 8-5 and I would say about 20-50% in a given week are mandatory mostly because of quizzes. This number goes down the farther into systems you get.
I was referring to like, how FM guest lecturer presentations are mandatory (from FB), but I have heard they cut down on it after there was an preventable accident a while back. If it happens, I'm sure it rarely does!

Just got the rejection letter today pre-II, 506 mcat 3.2 gpa OOS

• Sad
Has anyone from the 10/18 interview heard anything?

It states "Deny post-supplement / 10/28/2019" on my status. What does this mean? Does this mean rejected? I have yet to receive any formal email from them.

• Sad
I am OOS also so I am not sure, but I am sure its going to be around 30 degrees and maybe some snow. :)
In February it will be closer to 10-25 on average and moderately deep snow. Ice is par for the course In Yakima. If you are flying in to Sea-Tac the weather will be overcast and 30-40 degrees with at worst a light dusting. You should plan accordingly as you head over the Cascade mountains via Snoqualmie pass, there closer you get to the summit the more extreme the winter weather will be and chains are often required. At times WSDOT will close either or both sides for avalanche control. Traffic can get backed up. I would highly advise if you have an interview between January and March that you plan on taking a commuter bus. Bel Air should take you all the way from Sea-Tac to Yakima. PNWU does plow and maintain the sidewalks in the winter, but the state of Yakima streets varies wildly as WSDOT tends to focus on the highways before major arterial streets. Those with November interviews will arrive before any snow, but the temperature will be between 20-45 degrees and at times windy.

In February it will be closer to 10-25 on average and moderately deep snow. Ice is par for the course In Yakima. If you are flying in to Sea-Tac the weather will be overcast and 30-40 degrees with at worst a light dusting. You should plan accordingly as you head over the Cascade mountains via Snoqualmie pass, there closer you get to the summit the more extreme the winter weather will be and chains are often required. At times WSDOT will close either or both sides for avalanche control. Traffic can get backed up. I would highly advise if you have an interview between January and March that you plan on taking a commuter bus. Bel Air should take you all the way from Sea-Tac to Yakima. PNWU does plow and maintain the sidewalks in the winter, but the state of Yakima streets varies wildly as WSDOT tends to focus on the highways before major arterial streets. Those with November interviews will arrive before any snow, but the temperature will be between 20-45 degrees and at times windy.
Thank you so much for this! I’m from Florida, so I’m very out of touch of what to expect for the weather

Thank you so much for this! I’m from Florida, so I’m very out of touch of what to expect for the weather
No problem! It’s also polar opposite on the humidity scale so I would also suggest some good moisturizer and chapstick just in case it’s really drying! Good luck on interviews :)

Thanks for all the information! I am from Minnesota so I assumed that it would be similar, but since the temperatures for the month in 2019 were far warmer than the -40 I am used to in MN I wasn't sure! Would you suggest flying into Sea-Tac and driving or just flying into Yakima?

Thanks for all the information! I am from Minnesota so I assumed that it would be similar, but since the temperatures for the month in 2019 were far warmer than the -40 I am used to in MN I wasn't sure! Would you suggest flying into Sea-Tac and driving or just flying into Yakima?
If you're from MN I have a feeling if you chose to drive you'd be fine, but if you don't want to risk it, if you can find a Yakima flight that would be the safest way to arrive. The only downside to arriving in Yakima is missing the "west side", the west side of the Cascades where Seattle is. The Yakima Valley (and throughout Central WA) is a shrub-steppe climate and if you don't venture over the mountains it's sometimes hard to imagine that there's a lot of green and a lot of ocean about a hundred miles west!

• Love
If you're from MN I have a feeling if you chose to drive you'd be fine, but if you don't want to risk it, if you can find a Yakima flight that would be the safest way to arrive. The only downside to arriving in Yakima is missing the "west side", the west side of the Cascades where Seattle is. The Yakima Valley (and throughout Central WA) is a shrub-steppe climate and if you don't venture over the mountains it's sometimes hard to imagine that there's a lot of green and a lot of ocean about a hundred miles west!

The drive might be worth it! I have family in Seattle I could visit, and I have family somewhere near Yakima. It might be best to fly to Seattle and drive so that I could see them as well as get a good viewing of the state like you mentioned.

just checked and i was denied pre II today 11/1 after being complete 8/21. mcat 508, strong upward trend, and ties, so i'm pretty confused. good luck all!

I think the results for OCt 18 interviews are out on the portal

Could any current students (especially first and second years) Tell me what your schedule is like? Literally like a breakdown of class times, anatomy lab, etc.. Please and Thank you!

just checked and i was denied pre II today 11/1 after being complete 8/21. mcat 508, strong upward trend, and ties, so i'm pretty confused. good luck all!

Does your personal statement and activity list adequately show a proven commitment to helping underserved populations? From their mission statement and the interview day, I could tell they absolutely loved my community service as they didn’t even talk to me once about my research and I have a lot of research.

Could any current students (especially first and second years) Tell me what your schedule is like? Literally like a breakdown of class times, anatomy lab, etc.. Please and Thank you!

Someone mentioned before that most days are pretty much 8-5 and they are correct. There is some leeway in the schedule. Here is a rough breakdown though.

Monday is 8-5 of solid class, it is a mixture is SciFOM, pharm and anatomy lecture. We are just finishing a few classes (SciFOM & Intro to Pharmacology) though so our schedule will be changing as we transition to systems.
Tuesday is usually Family Med in the morning, it has both lecture and lab components. Then other classes in the afternoon.
Wednesday is OPP lecture and lab.We have either had a chunk of time off on wed or Friday depending on which day we have a SciFi. They will also sometime schedule standardized patients or clinical experiences during those times.
Thursday is lecture in the morning and Anatomy lab from 1-5...it’s all dependent on how much time you wish to spend there or if you have a slow group.
Friday is lecture in the morning. The afternoon depends on the SP schedule,the SciFis and any clinical experiences.

Quizzes and exams are usually scattered throughout the week. Anatomy lab exams are Thursday afternoons during that lab time. SciFOM exams are usually Mondays, two weeks apart.

As someone else had mentioned earlier, we are transitioning to our Systems courses now, which will include a lot more prerecorded sessions. So we won’t have to be present for the classes.
We are not required to be at a lot of lectures, but they do sprinkle in several quizzes and guest lectures that you are required to attend.
I hope this helps.

I know the pain. Hoping not to feel it again this cycle. From this last cycle:
  • Admissions will indeed occasionally pull people off the waitlist, but there is no meaningful waitlist movement until April-May.
  • When April-May comes around, they will sort and rank the top 30 people on the waitlist. Last year roughly the top 15 got offers, but not the entire waitlist. If the top 30 are all offered, they will rank another 30.
  • You can submit updates to your application at any time, but it is unlikely they will be reviewed until later in the application cycle. Update AACOMAS with your grades as you go. I would advise sending a comprehensive update separate to your letter of interest in March. Personally, I think they should be two seperate items, one for the fluff, one that lists out what you've done since your primary in a straightforward way.
  • PNWU-COM will be happy to talk about your application with you - make an appointment to speak to a counselor and do note that it's possible there may be nothing wrong with your application, just that someone else may have been more competitive.
  • In the meantime, if PNWU if your top school, consider applying to the Heritage MAMS program, which is the 1-yr pipeline to PNWU. Year to year ~90% of the MAMS students who specifically apply to PNWU get in. Last year, 25 of 26. Some students use MAMS to improve their app to PA, DS/DDS, PharmD, MD etc. as well, so if you don't wanna go DO the overall acceptance rate to professional schools is 84%. It's expensive, but one of the reasons is that you are taking classes at PNWU throughout the year.
    • If you get accepted to MAMS and pay a deposit for MAMS, but then get an offer at PNWU, MAMS will refund your deposit for you.
Just wanted to mention a few things. More than 15 were removed from the waitlist...I know they ended up pulling past the 30 that were initially ranked, but I’m not sure how far. I don’t think they came out with a second list though. I know a few students that were accepted during orientation week, but this is also a bit out of the norm.

Yes admissions definitely does pull people from the waitlist throughout the year, but as you said significant movement typically doesn’t happen until April/May time. So if you have meaningful changes to your application they can definitely help out your chances. I also think they are receptive to letters of intent or letters of interest.

Does your personal statement and activity list adequately show a proven commitment to helping underserved populations? From their mission statement and the interview day, I could tell they absolutely loved my community service as they didn’t even talk to me once about my research and I have a lot of research.
i have over 300+ hours volunteering at RAM clinics/free health fairs/homeless shelter and i talked about how service led me to pursue medicine in my ps. oh well, lol, the cycle is just crapshoot sometimes and i'm just glad i have an acceptance already.

Just got rejected :( is there a very strong regional preference for students from the area??

Just got rejected :( is there a very strong regional preference for students from the area??
From their website it looks like they prefer WA residents. Although, I’m OOS and I was offered an interview. I think it depends

From their website it looks like they prefer WA residents. Although, I’m OOS and I was offered an interview. I think it depends
Are you still from the region though? Because in the letter they said they prefer AK, ID, MT, OR, and WA.

Got a rejection letter in the mail today

• Sad
Just got an II via email! Earliest available date was mid-March. OOS

Reactions: 6 users