2019-2020 Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences (PNWU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anybody have any idea if there are many interviews left here or where they are in the process? I found out about this school kind of late, and am wondering if it's worth submitting an app at this point.

Received my II last Monday, only March and April dates are available, which I really don't have high hope for since I will be pretty much interviewing for a slot on the waitlist.

Members don't see this ad.

The unofficial word is that the adcom met yesterday so we should be hearing back over the next few days.
Reading this gave my stomach a dropping feeling. Excited and nervous!

Reading this gave my stomach a dropping feeling. Excited and nervous!
Scares me too. I hope I can at last interview here. I learned about this school late and did not apply until October.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The unofficial word is that the adcom met yesterday so we should be hearing back over the next few days.
I really hope we get the news today. I'm wearing out my refresh button. Good luck to everyone anxiously waiting!

Reactions: 1 users
Yes they don’t call if you are waitlisted or rejected so check your portal
Still says interview :( the wait continues. I hope your waitlist turns into an A, friend. Thanks for keeping us all apprised of the secret inner workings of PNWU

So bummed. Waitlisted. My first interviewer said “I’ll see you next fall” so I’m kind of confused

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly am so shocked. I am waitlisted but I really thought my interview went well and I really fit with the mission.

I'm so happy for everyone with acceptances though. Everyone I met at the interview were awesome and totally deserve the acceptances.

Edit: I'm grateful it's not a rejection but honestly still upset. The wait continues.

Reactions: 3 users
I honestly am so shocked. I am waitlisted but I really thought my interview went well and I really fit with the mission.

I'm so happy for everyone with acceptances though. Everyone I met at the interview were awesome and totally deserve the acceptances.

Edit: I'm grateful it's not a rejection but honestly still upset. The wait continues.

I understand. It was the same for me last year. It's okay to feel sad and disappointed for a time. Keep your hopes up, as they accept a lot of people off the waitlist. Hang in there

Reactions: 2 users
Got the call! I am so relieved. I get to stay in the same city/state as my hubby and our fur baby ❤ good luck everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
Also waitlist club, few things:

You are all beautiful people and you have what it takes to get in to med school

Send an email to admissions to request a call to go over your application so you know what to work on - some have already left for holiday but if you send it to the general admissions email they can all see it

I hope we all get to see each other in class soon, and we can all go get a drink, coffee or otherwise

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I will be turning down my interview offer here, just received. I would have loved to go if I didn't already put a deposit down elsewhere. For those still waiting, they are scheduling dates in March and April. Good fortune.

How does one withdraw an acceptance? I’ve been meaning to do so but I can’t see a way to do so online.

Damn.... lol was hoping to avoid that. I hate the idea of telling someone who offered me an acceptance that I’d rather be somewhere else. Seems rather uncool especially since I actually liked the school. If I didn’t get into the UW there’s a decent chance I could have ended up and been happy here. Best wishes all!

Damn.... lol was hoping to avoid that. I hate the idea of telling someone who offered me an acceptance that I’d rather be somewhere else. Seems rather uncool especially since I actually liked the school. If I didn’t get into the UW there’s a decent chance I could have ended up and been happy here. Best wishes all!
You could make it super simple.

"Dear Admissions,

As I have accepted an invitation to attend another school this coming Fall I need to regretfully decline admission to PNWU. Thank you for your consideration during the current admissions cycle.

Sincerely,

..."

Or something similar? I dunno. Congrats for you though! Good problem to have :)

You could make it super simple.

"Dear Admissions,

As I have accepted an invitation to attend another school this coming Fall I need to regretfully decline admission to PNWU. Thank you for your consideration during the current admissions cycle.

Sincerely,

..."

Or something similar? I dunno. Congrats for you though! Good problem to have :)
P.s I missed some punctuation

Thanks I’ll send them an email tomorrow so hopefully they pass on my acceptance sooner than later.

Thanks I’ll send them an email tomorrow so hopefully they pass on my acceptance sooner than later.
Thank you for getting on top of it though, I know it must be a little awkward but it's also a glimmer of hope for others! Congrats on your A's!

Reactions: 2 users
I wonder how that works for those of us waitlisted. Hope the email goes okay and have a nice night!

II about 30 minutes ago, OOS, complete 10/18. Only available date is 4/3/20, other dates you’re able to put yourself on the waitlist

Can anyone speak to whether there is any merit in interviewing (and being subsequently waitlisted) early in the cycle? I interviewed the second available date this application cycle (10/11/19) and i was subsequently waitlisted. I know they eventually rank their waitlist in the spring, and I was told that I did well on the interview after speaking with the admissions counselors several weeks after the waitlist decision. Just wondering if there is any consideration of interview date when ranking waitlisters?

Can anyone speak to whether there is any merit in interviewing (and being subsequently waitlisted) early in the cycle? I interviewed the second available date this application cycle (10/11/19) and i was subsequently waitlisted. I know they eventually rank their waitlist in the spring, and I was told that I did well on the interview after speaking with the admissions counselors several weeks after the waitlist decision. Just wondering if there is any consideration of interview date when ranking waitlisters?

I would say probably not but it can't hurt. The benefit to interviewing early is that all/most slots are open. Once you're waitlisted, that's no longer the case because you're being evaluated with every other person on the waitlist, which is made up of people from all interview dates, most likely ranked via stats and interview performance. If you did well on your interview and you were given the opportunity to interview early (which means that you probably have competitive application otherwise), I would be confident that you're towards the top of that waitlist. Good luck

Got the call! I am so relieved. I get to stay in the same city/state as my hubby and our fur baby ❤ good luck everyone!
If you have any questions about the adjustment from nurse to med student, feel free to PM me! I still work on call in Toppenish after switching out of memorial. Congratulations!

Hi all! I am lucky to have been accepted :) Sending good vibes to all of you waiting.

I am going to live in the apartments next to school and I was hoping to find a roommate in our class. It think it would be great to have a built-in study buddy!

Anyone interested or have any advice as to how to find one?

Hi all! I am lucky to have been accepted :) Sending good vibes to all of you waiting.

I am going to live in the apartments next to school and I was hoping to find a roommate in our class. It think it would be great to have a built-in study buddy!

Someone had mentioned a Facebook page during my interview. Also the accepted thread for this school might give you better answers too. :)

I'm looking for a roommate too! I tried to PM you but it didn't go through

OMS I here from Cali. Congrats to those who got accepted!!! We are currently on break so, feel free to ask me any questions.

For those of you about to attend interviews, make sure you kill it and let your passion shine through especially if you are interested in serving the underserved community.

You got this!

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

OMS I here from Cali. Congrats to those who got accepted!!! We are currently on break so, feel free to ask me any questions.

For those of you about to attend interviews, make sure you kill it and let your passion shine through especially if you are interested in serving the underserved community.

You got this!

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Congrats on making it through your first semester!

What are your thoughts/feelings now with one term under your belt? Was PNWU what you imagined it would be prior to matriculating? What is the community like? :)

Thanks! It was certainly a roller coaster for me considering I underestimated how hard medical school was going to be. Plus, I had taken a near 3-year break from taking full-time classes and I remember not taking it as seriously during orientation week rather still really soaking it all in. Meanwhile, the rest of my friends were sort of semi-freaking out about the upcoming lectures and exams doing their best to catch on. I ended up getting a C during my first exam but, I redeemed myself throughout the rest of the term and ended up scoring in the upper 20th percentile of my class thus far.

When I look back, I certainly do agree that PNWU was what I imagined it would be prior to starting especially when it comes to the support we received from the second-year class. Reason#1 is that when I had my interview, I was actually hosted by the (then) 2nd-year class president who treated me like a sister and even took me out for a beer the night before my interview (of course I drank light, lol). I was introduced to so many other wonderful (then) 1st-years whom I now have tight-bonds with. Reason#2 being I remember after completing our first exam ever they actually made a sign for us outside the exit door that said "Congratulations on finishing your first exam!" and had freshly baked brownies waiting for us. Also, there's a staff member that always seems to bring homemade soup in his crockpot which is especially nice when you're in the middle of an exam week and you have absolutely no food in your apartment. We also have a trained psychologist (Dr. Amity) who speaks to students for free if you are ever going through things including academic-related struggles. They also have a "big doc/little doc" program you can sign up for in which you are matched with a second year who has similar likes as you do. She ended up being one of my closest friends and shared so many free study resources that helped me excel in my classes (ie. Boards & Beyond, First Aid, Sketchy Farm, pre-made tables, e-books, etc). We also have a few professors who are really laid back to the point where they'd be willing to sit down and have a cup of coffee with you to catch-up and we also have a few professors with an excellent sense of humor (ie. Dr. Elliott & Dr. Novak) which alleviates the stress a bit. Our class also has a FB page in which second years always chime in with tips and resources for upcoming exams and our school actually has an anonymous FB page called 'Postcards from PNWU' in which students from all class levels share negative and positive insights not just about the school but, about their struggles in medicine overall. There are a few grads that follow that page that provide excellent insight but, I must warn you the now 2nd-year class had a bit of drama last year so, don't associate some of those postings with what you would experience if you were to attend PNWU. My experience so far with my class has been a 4/5 in terms of friendliness and cohesiveness. I see minimal competition amongst my classmates and more of an assisting dynamic (although there are like 2-3 people in our class who clearly need to turn the notch down a bit on their intellectual flex and/or passion on non-medical school-related topics).

As far as difficulty goes, I think the one major thing that I had to adjust to was having at least one 5-point or 10-point quiz almost every single day. From my understanding, this was a recent change because a lot of students would skip class and I guess the older professors and/or those who have a highly-specialized background found themselves wasting their time speaking to a small group of students (out of 144 of us) so, in a way we were forced to attend otherwise we'd lose the potential points you'd get at the end of the lecture. At first, I thought this was unfair but then, I quickly found them to be helpful as it motivated me to study the material the night before and in a way, helped me in the long run when it came to the actual exam. You eventually get used to it and if you've really adjusted, you never really get nervous when the time comes to take the actual quiz because you've prepared in advance enough to confidently answer at least most of the questions correctly. Some of the quizzes, especially the OPP and FM ones are dead on easy to study for but, the pharm ones and interactive sessions definitely require you to put in some work in advance. The first few months are always difficult and we were really slammed with four weeks worth of back-to-back exams (I'm talking about exams literally every day that week, not just one or two, but there may be other weeks where you'll get at least one or two exams that week and of course a few weeks where there are none) which requires you to study at least a week in advance. For our finals week, we had two weeks of that so, I started studying 2 weeks in advance throughout Thanksgiving break.

Regardless, I'd say I've learned a lot in terms of how I should be studying for this next upcoming term and definitely having to step out of my regular study comfort zone and try several different resources to learn the material. I learned what I used to do in undergrad won't necessarily work for medical school so, many of my study habits required an adjustment in order to succeed and I have yet to still adjust a few of those for next term. Eventually, you'll find what works best for you based on trial-and-error as well as what other students recommend but, ALWAYS do what works best for you and not solely on what other people swear by.

Hope this helps.

Congrats on making it through your first semester!

What are your thoughts/feelings now with one term under your belt? Was PNWU what you imagined it would be prior to matriculating? What is the community like? :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Thanks! It was certainly a roller coaster for me considering I underestimated how hard medical school was going to be. Plus, I had taken a near 3-year break from taking full-time classes and I remember not taking it as seriously during orientation week rather still really soaking it all in. Meanwhile, the rest of my friends were sort of semi-freaking out about the upcoming lectures and exams doing their best to catch on. I ended up getting a C during my first exam but, I redeemed myself throughout the rest of the term and ended up scoring in the upper 20th percentile of my class thus far.

When I look back, I certainly do agree that PNWU was what I imagined it would be prior to starting especially when it comes to the support we received from the second-year class. Reason#1 is that when I had my interview, I was actually hosted by the (then) 2nd-year class president who treated me like a sister and even took me out for a beer the night before my interview (of course I drank light, lol). I was introduced to so many other wonderful (then) 1st-years whom I now have tight-bonds with. Reason#2 being I remember after completing our first exam ever they actually made a sign for us outside the exit door that said "Congratulations on finishing your first exam!" and had freshly baked brownies waiting for us. Also, there's a staff member that always seems to bring homemade soup in his crockpot which is especially nice when you're in the middle of an exam week and you have absolutely no food in your apartment. We also have a trained psychologist (Dr. Amity) who speaks to students for free if you are ever going through things including academic-related struggles. They also have a "big doc/little doc" program you can sign up for in which you are matched with a second year who has similar likes as you do. She ended up being one of my closest friends and shared so many free study resources that helped me excel in my classes (ie. Boards & Beyond, First Aid, Sketchy Farm, pre-made tables, e-books, etc). We also have a few professors who are really laid back to the point where they'd be willing to sit down and have a cup of coffee with you to catch-up and we also have a few professors with an excellent sense of humor (ie. Dr. Elliott & Dr. Novak) which alleviates the stress a bit. Our class also has a FB page in which second years always chime in with tips and resources for upcoming exams and our school actually has an anonymous FB page called 'Postcards from PNWU' in which students from all class levels share negative and positive insights not just about the school but, about their struggles in medicine overall. There are a few grads that follow that page that provide excellent insight but, I must warn you the now 2nd-year class had a bit of drama last year so, don't associate some of those postings with what you would experience if you were to attend PNWU. My experience so far with my class has been a 4/5 in terms of friendliness and cohesiveness. I see minimal competition amongst my classmates and more of an assisting dynamic (although there are like 2-3 people in our class who clearly need to turn the notch down a bit on their intellectual flex and/or passion on non-medical school-related topics).

As far as difficulty goes, I think the one major thing that I had to adjust to was having at least one 5-point or 10-point quiz almost every single day. From my understanding, this was a recent change because a lot of students would skip class and I guess the older professors and/or those who have a highly-specialized background found themselves wasting their time speaking to a small group of students (out of 144 of us) so, in a way we were forced to attend otherwise we'd lose the potential points you'd get at the end of the lecture. At first, I thought this was unfair but then, I quickly found them to be helpful as it motivated me to study the material the night before and in a way, helped me in the long run when it came to the actual exam. You eventually get used to it and if you've really adjusted, you never really get nervous when the time comes to take the actual quiz because you've prepared in advance enough to confidently answer at least most of the questions correctly. Some of the quizzes, especially the OPP and FM ones are dead on easy to study for but, the pharm ones and interactive sessions definitely require you to put in some work in advance. The first few months are always difficult and we were really slammed with four weeks worth of back-to-back exams (I'm talking about exams literally every day that week, not just one or two, but there may be other weeks where you'll get at least one or two exams that week and of course a few weeks where there are none) which requires you to study at least a week in advance. For our finals week, we had two weeks of that so, I started studying 2 weeks in advance throughout Thanksgiving break.

Regardless, I'd say I've learned a lot in terms of how I should be studying for this next upcoming term and definitely having to step out of my regular study comfort zone and try several different resources to learn the material. I learned what I used to do in undergrad won't necessarily work for medical school so, many of my study habits required an adjustment in order to succeed and I have yet to still adjust a few of those for next term. Eventually, you'll find what works best for you based on trial-and-error as well as what other students recommend but, ALWAYS do what works best for you and not solely on what other people swear by.

Hope this helps.

Wow, thank you so much for the insightful response!

Hi guys! So my status changed from committee to interview today, but I do not have an email yet with an invitation. How long after the status change did you guys get an email? Or should I contact the admissions office? Thank you!

Hi guys! So my status changed from committee to interview today, but I do not have an email yet with an invitation. How long after the status change did you guys get an email? Or should I contact the admissions office? Thank you!
Wait a bit, it's on its way.