2019-2020 Ponce

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Ponce School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Secondary received this morning !

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary received this morning !

Me too! However the link wasn’t working for me, I could only see “Doctor of Medicine (Advance Standing)” and when I tried to fill out it was for the 2018-19 term and admissions so second or third year. I called the school and they said the ones for this cycle wouldn’t be available online until Sept. 2nd

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Me too! However the link wasn’t working for me, I could only see “Doctor of Medicine (Advance Standing)” and when I tried to fill out it was for the 2018-19 term and admissions so second or third year. I called the school and they said the ones for this cycle wouldn’t be available online until Sept. 2nd
Perfect thank you! I was going to go ahead and call this morning after I saw that, I was a bit confused. Do you know if they accept official transcripts electronically, or do they all need to me mailed?

Perfect thank you! I was going to go ahead and call this morning after I saw that, I was a bit confused. Do you know if they accept official transcripts electronically, or do they all need to me mailed?

I’m not sure they only provided their address so I mailed mine today since they’ll take a bit to arrive

Is anyone concerned about the English/Spanish classes? I speak advanced Spanish (my parents are from Mexico), but not 100% fluent. Medical school is going to be hard enough already in English... Should I still send in my secondary once they open it up on Sept 2nd?

Is anyone concerned about the English/Spanish classes? I speak advanced Spanish (my parents are from Mexico), but not 100% fluent. Medical school is going to be hard enough already in English... Should I still send in my secondary once they open it up on Sept 2nd?
I don't think you will have an issue (as long as you completed the Spanish prerequisite requirements) , moreover, I think it's an awesome opportunity to perfect your Spanish and bring that back to the states when you begin to practice.

If you feel confident in your Spanish I wouldn't think it's a problem. I lived in PR for about 5 years when I was a kid (currently in SoCal) and maybe I'll be back for round 2 haha :) GL everyone

Secondary prompt has been re-posted. In the anticipated academic enroll year, they only have an option for 2019-2020, there is no option for 2020-2021, I wonder if it matters? Also, for the extracurricular section, are we just listing the things we've done or should we give a short summary per activity per section like on the primary. There isn't much instruction.

Secondary prompt has been re-posted. In the anticipated academic enroll year, they only have an option for 2019-2020, there is no option for 2020-2021, I wonder if it matters? Also, for the extracurricular section, are we just listing the things we've done or should we give a short summary per activity per section like on the primary. There isn't much instruction.
Hey did you end up finding out? I might email them if we still don't know yet.

Looks like they fixed the "anticipated enrollment year" issue, now the only option is 2020-2021. They seem to want a lot of the same information that would be listed on the primary, so I'm wondering how much time they spend reviewing the primary vs the secondary. I was thinking it might be best to include brief summaries for each activity just to be safe.

Does anyone know where we should send transcripts to? I can't seem to find any addresses listed on their website or in the emails I have received.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know where we should send transcripts to? I can't seem to find any addresses listed on their website or in the emails I have received.
Hi! I think this is the address:
Please send original documents by mail to:
PHSU, Admissions Office
PO BOX 7004
Ponce, PR 00732

Looks like they fixed the "anticipated enrollment year" issue, now the only option is 2020-2021. They seem to want a lot of the same information that would be listed on the primary, so I'm wondering how much time they spend reviewing the primary vs the secondary. I was thinking it might be best to include brief summaries for each activity just to be safe.
It still only has 2019-2020 option for me

I submitted my primary to this school 11 days ago. I have yet to get a secondary email :/.

Was your application processed?
Yes, I was verified to all other schools 2 weeks prior to that. I think this school just resubmits secondaries every month or so and I fell in between so ill just have to keep waiting :/

Yes, I was verified to all other schools 2 weeks prior to that. I think this school just resubmits secondaries every month or so and I fell in between so ill just have to keep waiting :/
Yeah, you'll get it soon!!! Everyone gets one I think, so hopefully you receive the email soon :) You applying to UCC and SJU too?

Yeah, you'll get it soon!!! Everyone gets one I think, so hopefully you receive the email soon :) You applying to UCC and SJU too?
I am applying to UCC but not SJU because they require a volunteer letter that I cant provide :/

Their secondaries ask for an AMCAS Application Reference Number, do they mean the AAMC ID?

at the end of their secondary, Ponce asks for our long-range professional plan. Is this a space to put our AMCAS personal statement, or do we have to craft another essay focusing specifically on our goals?

at the end of their secondary, Ponce asks for our long-range professional plan. Is this a space to put our AMCAS personal statement, or do we have to craft another essay focusing specifically on our goals?
I don't know what other people did, but i didn't copy and paste even though personal statement topic and Ponce essay may overlap! I wrote a different essay for the secondary.

I don't know what other people did, but i didn't copy and paste even though personal statement topic and Ponce essay may overlap! I wrote a different essay for the secondary.
That's what I thought, but what about the experiences section ?

Thank you lots.

I find it hard to believe they would want another essay when they're basically asking for the same thing. My interest in graduate studies and my long range professional plan is included in the "why medicine" answer I gave in my personal statement. It would make sense if I were applying to different things but these "two" essays are supposed to be for applying to medical school so it doesn't make sense to me that they're supposed to be different.

Edit: I talked to Ponce and they said that you could add the same personal statement and modify it a little to better answer the question

Last edited:
I find it hard to believe they would want another essay when they're basically asking for the same thing. My interest in graduate studies and my long range professional plan is included in the "why medicine" answer I gave in my personal statement. It would make sense if I were applying to different things but these "two" essays are supposed to be for applying to medical school so it doesn't make sense to me that they're supposed to be different.

I wasn’t too sure either, but I restated a lot of my personal statement with more emphasis on where I saw myself practicing medicine and why I thought Ponce was the school best suited for helping me to practice in that capacity.

when do interviews start ?
looking at previous threads, invites start going out sometime in October. Has anyone called to check if their transcripts made it ok ?

Does anybody know the average MCAT score for accepted students?

not sure. Maybe around the average score of 499 is when they ask for interviews.
But I thought OP (PRpremed2020) got a secondary, not an interview yet.
I have a friend with 502 who recently got an interview invite from Ponce

How are you guys getting to Ponce? It’s really expensive to get there from Florida. Getting to San Juan is really cheap but it would still be expensive to find transportation from there to Ponce. Ugh my wallet...

I just got an email saying "PHSU secondary application received", I submitted over a month ago along with all my transcripts. Do I need to call and ask that they have everything? Im just worried with how long it took them to send that. I just assumed they already had it.

I just got an email saying "PHSU secondary application received", I submitted over a month ago along with all my transcripts. Do I need to call and ask that they have everything? Im just worried with how long it took them to send that. I just assumed they already had it.
Definitely call them. They’re a little disorganized though. I’ve been trying to reach someone for over a week to confirm my interview and nothing. Try it though!

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know how many people they interview out of state? MSAR says ~1000 but how is that possible if they only receive ~900 verified apps? I hope this is a typo!

I interviewed last week but I believe they have only been interviewing for about 2-3 weeks at most.

For the OOS question, I'm not sure, but in my interview the majority was actually OOS.

I interviewed last week but I believe they have only been interviewing for about 2-3 weeks at most.

For the OOS question, I'm not sure, but in my interview the majority was actually OOS.
Thank you! What did you think about the interview? Stressful?