2022-2023 Ponce (St. Louis)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II just now

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
how was the interview ?
It's a group interview so that makes it slightly awkward in my opinion, but honestly there weren't any curveball questions asked. If you prep standard interview questions and can get over the fact that two other applicants are also listening in to your answers, I think you should be able to do well.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's a group interview so that makes it slightly awkward in my opinion, but honestly there weren't any curveball questions asked. If you prep standard interview questions and can get over the fact that two other applicants are also listening in to your answers, I think you should be able to do well.
thats nerve wracking. Im still waiting on an II for this school. But I have an II in January for a DO Program.

how many people interviewed on the day you interviewed?

Does this school accept letters of interest before an interview invite?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone clarify what LM 66 mean
It is a LizzyM score. The calculators on SDN (you can see in the menu) have one. It is primarily adding up 10 times your GPA and your MCAT 2015 converted to an old MCAT score on a 45 total. In theory one can have a 85 as a max score on this scale.

SDN also tells you your chance of making it to a med school based on historical data when you plug your numbers in. Although the expectation is that a score has same probabibility, the tool actually shows you different probabilities based on different combinations of MCAT and GPA to arrive at 66 score.

Has anyone talked for emailed with admissions? They don't seem to respond to emails.

Is it 3-4 weeks to hear back post II?
ETA: went back through last years thread to verify the dates and it was worse than i thought HAHA

i'm a first year at a different school, but after being tagged in a different post in this thread I just thought I'd let y'all know what my timeline was last year. sounds like things are already different this year, and I hope that continues to be the case for y'all!

they sent out a very select number of II's in January/February 2022 and interviewed thru March/April 2022 (2021-2022 application cycle). I interviewed in early March, and we were told when we interviewed that we would receive a decision in 2ish weeks. When that timeframe passed with no communication, I emailed and left a voicemail for an update and never received a response. Eventually I received an email in mid May 2022 that said I was waitlisted. I emailed and left a voicemail at that time to ask when they were planning to finalize the class/notify waitlist folks (there were a few of us), and I never received a response. In early June 2022, I called again for an update and actually got through to person, and they told me (and several other folks who called as well) that we would receive a decision by June 15th. That date came and went with no communication. Some folks called again and were told we would receive decisions by June 30th. That date came and went with no communication. Several of us called/emailed again and never got through/received an update. 1-2 people were accepted off the waitlist mid July, and finally in late-July, as I was driving to the school I eventually chose to attend, I received a Post-II R.

so yeah the communication was really non-existent, and being told deadlines only to have those pass without any communication put several of us who interviewed there (and would have chosen to attend had we been accepted) in a really precarious position when trying to navigate other A's/start times at different schools/MCAT retakes/etc. again, each school to their own, but just thought I'd share my experience!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
ETA: went back through last years thread to verify the dates and it was worse than i thought HAHA

i'm a first year at a different school, but after being tagged in a different post in this thread I just thought I'd let y'all know what my timeline was last year. sounds like things are already different this year, and I hope that continues to be the case for y'all!

they sent out a very select number of II's in January/February 2022 and interviewed thru March/April 2022 (2021-2022 application cycle). I interviewed in early March, and we were told when we interviewed that we would receive a decision in 2ish weeks. When that timeframe passed with no communication, I emailed and left a voicemail for an update and never received a response. Eventually I received an email in mid May 2022 that said I was waitlisted. I emailed and left a voicemail at that time to ask when they were planning to finalize the class/notify waitlist folks (there were a few of us), and I never received a response. In early June 2022, I called again for an update and actually got through to person, and they told me (and several other folks who called as well) that we would receive a decision by June 15th. That date came and went with no communication. Some folks called again and were told we would receive decisions by June 30th. That date came and went with no communication. Several of us called/emailed again and never got through/received an update. Finally in late-July, as I was driving to the school I eventually chose to attend, I received a Post-II R.

so yeah the communication was really non-existent, and being told deadlines only to have those pass without any communication put several of us who interviewed there (and would have chosen to attend had we been accepted) in a really precarious position when trying to navigate other A's/start times at different schools/MCAT retakes/etc. again, each school to their own, but just thought I'd share my experience!

Sounds like a hot mess. I never bothered submitting a secondary here and this kind of confirms my suspicions. Between the supplemental application and the cost of sending my study abroad transcripts via intl shipping, I was going to spend an additional $200-300 applying to this school with no certainty that my application would be seriously considered.

Sounds like a hot mess. I never bothered submitting a secondary here and this kind of confirms my suspicions. Between the supplemental application and the cost of sending my study abroad transcripts via intl shipping, I was going to spend an additional $200-300 applying to this school with no certainty that my application would be seriously considered.
This is true cause remember there are msms graduates , and only 30 spots. I feel like if you never attended their program there really isnt any point in applying

This is true cause remember there are msms graduates , and only 30 spots. I feel like if you never attended their program there really isnt any point in applying
let's say they get 2K applications, but they don't take AMCAS FAP... 2K*85= $170,000 gain in application fees alone.
So there is an incentive to fill some of those spots with non-MSM students, otherwise, their application numbers might drop from year to year when the word goes out.

Reactions: 2 users
Not sure about this year admissions but there were definitely many non MSMS students in the current MS1.

Edit: Checked with an MS1 who confirmed 2/3rds are new students.

Last edited:
Not sure about this year admissions but there were definitely many non MSMS students in the current MS1.

Edit: Checked with an MS1 who confirmed 2/3rds are new students.
To be honest , thats not even fair. There are only 30 spots. MSMS students worked hard in that program. Other medical school tend to favor their own MSMS students

To be honest , thats not even fair. There are only 30 spots. MSMS students worked hard in that program. Other medical school tend to favor their own MSMS students
Are you expecting every MSMS to be part of the MD class - 1/3rd is not enough?

Some of those MSMS students might have decided not to apply to medical school, and or applied and got accepted to other schools. Also, these programs are not 100% guaranteed, some milestones should be met, and other holistic factors will still apply.

Some of those MSMS students might have decided not to apply to medical school, and or applied and got accepted to other schools. Also, these programs are not 100% guaranteed, some milestones should be met, and other holistic factors will still apply.
I understood the current MSMS batch might be 50 people. Even if all the seats are filled with only MSMS students, 40% will be disappointed.

Most programs matriculate some students to the MD/DO programs but it would be surprising if there are any medical schools out there accepting all the students from the feeder programs even if they met all required criteria.

Are you expecting every MSMS to be part of the MD class - 1/3rd is not enough?
No its enough when It is only 30 students in the class. Ponce-stl MSMS classes can be at least 15 to 30 students each cohort. So each cycle is that many but only 9 matriculate? If anything it should be flipped, 2/3rds should be MSMS graduates and only 1/3rd should be regular applicants

No its enough when It is only 30 students in the class. Ponce-stl MSMS classes can be at least 15 to 30 students each cohort. So each cycle is that many but only 9 matriculate? If anything it should be flipped, 2/3rds should be MSMS graduates and only 1/3rd should be regular applicants
I mean no its not enough

I understood the current MSMS batch might be 50 people. Even if all the seats are filled with only MSMS students, 40% will be disappointed.

Most programs matriculate some students to the MD/DO programs but it would be surprising if there are any medical schools out there accepting all the students from the feeder programs even if they met all required criteria.
Actually there are medical schools out there that have high number of matriculates from their feeder programs. SIU school of medicine for instance. Thats why I said, for a school with only 30 spots, it is unfair for 2/3rds to be non MSMS graduates from the program. Only 9 people take ? And originally it was suppose to be less than than that. Only around 6 from the MSMS program was suppose to matriculate. I got this information from someone who works in the department when I was able to get through to contact them.

I mean no its not enough

Again these feeder programs are never guaranteed.... and other schools would take students because sometimes the students are not weak applicants they are just nontraditional who took classes long ago or have career changes.

Actually there are medical schools out there that have high number of matriculates from their feeder programs. SIU school of medicine for instance. Thats why I said, for a school with only 30 spots, it is unfair for 2/3rds to be non MSMS graduates from the program. Only 9 people take ? And originally it was suppose to be less than than that. Only around 6 from the MSMS program was suppose to matriculate. I got this information from someone who works in the department when I was able to get through to contact them.
Can you provide numbers for SIU in terms of how many come from feeders vs open?

It would just be useless in my opinion to call it a medical college if they need to accept 60-70% of their feeder students. It is like saying spend an extra year with us to guarantee you a medical seat and there are lot of people with money who can do that.

People doing the additional programs are trying to improve their resumes and nothing should guarantee them a medical seat just because they did a one year program.

It would just be useless in my opinion to call it a medical college if they need to accept 60-70% of their feeder students. It is like saying spend an extra year with us to guarantee you a medical seat and there are lot of people with money who can do that.

People doing the additional programs are trying to improve their resumes and nothing should guarantee them a medical seat just because they did a one year program.
Yup even at Caribbean schools that have a similar program there is no guarantee.

Again these feeder programs are never guaranteed.... and other schools would take students because sometimes the students are not weak applicants they are just nontraditional who took classes long ago or have career changes.
And again… only accepted barely any students from a MSMS program is a scam to me

It wouldnt be useless at all. If you go to ponce school of medicine , ponce campus forums you will see first hand students discuss that majority of the class is made up of MSMS students. And i beg to differ. Someone proving themselves doing a one year program definitely shows upfront how they will suceed in med school vs. someone traditional who just did pre med classes in undergrad. Premed classes arent the same as med school classes and if I was in a med school admission committee I would definitely choose someone from a one year masters program than someone who only did undergrad, but thats just me. No is is guaranteed a seat anyway. MSMS graduates still need to have the analytics from the program like a 490 mcat, and a 60 percent score in all NBME’s as well as analytics on how they did in the program compared to others . So no its not a “just a 1 year program” you do still have to perform. But like I said before , for a class of 30 only accepting 9 is a scam to me especially when before they was only going to accept 6 MSMS alumni out of the 30. As far as analytics from SIU I only know from a friend that a good chunk of students in SIU school of medicine is from the med prep program

It wouldnt be useless at all. If you go to ponce school of medicine , ponce campus forums you will see first hand students discuss that majority of the class is made up of MSMS students. And i beg to differ. Someone proving themselves doing a one year program definitely shows upfront how they will suceed in med school vs. someone traditional who just did pre med classes in undergrad. Premed classes arent the same as med school classes and if I was in a med school admission committee I would definitely choose someone from a one year masters program than someone who only did undergrad, but thats just me. No is is guaranteed a seat anyway. MSMS graduates still need to have the analytics from the program like a 490 mcat, and a 60 percent score in all NBME’s as well as analytics on how they did in the program compared to others . So no its not a “just a 1 year program” you do still have to perform. But like I said before , for a class of 30 only accepting 9 is a scam to me especially when before they was only going to accept 6 MSMS alumni out of the 30. As far as analytics from SIU I only know from a friend that a good chunk of students in SIU school of medicine is from the med prep program
In my opinion they could not make the cut so they are doing MSMS. It is possible they are still not qualified for medicine after they finish it. In all likelihood they applied in the middle of the program which means there was not a clear outcome when they applied.

490 MCAT is a score no one should ever go to medical school with.

There was not even a medical school announced when they joined the program last year. So why did they go there?

The people who do postbac dont always have an attached medical school they are aiming for. I know many students who went UNT post bac that went to other medical schools in Texas with zero affiliation. All they did was improve their GPA to be more competitive to apply to other DO or MD programs.

Last edited:
In my opinion they could not make the cut so they are doing MSMS. It is possible they are still not qualified for medicine after they finish it. In all likelihood they applied in the middle of the program which means there was not a clear outcome when they applied.

490 MCAT is a score no one should ever go to medical school with.

There was not even a medical school announced when they joined the program last year. So why did they go there?

The people who do postbac dont always have an attached medical school they are aiming for. I know many students who went UNT post bac that went to other medical schools in Texas with zero affiliation. All they did was improve their GPA to be more competitive to apply to other DO or MD programs.
In my opinion some people don’t go to MSMS because they “didn’t make the cut” some people do a MSMS program because they want to get the experience of med school first because like I said, undergrad science courses and medical school coursework is completely different and a different place, but you perfectly welcome to your opinion. Also, who are you to say what score a medical school should accept from applicants , or what score medical school set for their alumni?. Seriously what gives you that right? It really isnt your place. Furthermore, the Ponce-Stl Medical school been announced since 2018 2019ish .

In my opinion some people don’t go to MSMS because they “didn’t make the cut” some people do a MSMS program because they want to get the experience of med school first because like I said, undergrad science courses and medical school coursework is completely different and a different place, but you perfectly welcome to your opinion. Also, who are you to say what score a medical school should accept from applicants , or what score medical school set for their alumni?. Seriously what gives you that right? It really isnt your place. Furthermore, the Ponce-Stl Medical school been announced since 2018 2019ish .
i know it's hard to feel like your getting the short end of the stick by them not allowing all MSMS students in. that being said, it's worth remembering as well that there are requirements for schools like Ponce to receive federal funding/aid, as well as to be accredited with LCME, and i'm sure accepting a certain portion of non-linkage students is a part of that. at the end of the day getting into it on SDN with folks will only drag you down. i'd reccomend focusing on things you can change, like your application and areas of improvement. and don't loose hope for this cycle yet! take it a day at a time and trust all the hard work you've put in!

i know it's hard to feel like your getting the short end of the stick by them not allowing all MSMS students in. that being said, it's worth remembering as well that there are requirements for schools like Ponce to receive federal funding/aid, as well as to be accredited with LCME, and i'm sure accepting a certain portion of non-linkage students is a part of that. at the end of the day getting into it on SDN with folks will only drag you down. i'd reccomend focusing on things you can change, like your application and areas of improvement. and don't loose hope for this cycle yet! take it a day at a time and trust all the hard work you've put in!
To clarify, I dont think MSMS alumni are getting the short end of the stick because “all of them” arent being let in. no one expects “all” to do so. But when you had at least 3 MSMS cohorts already and the class is already small yet originally wanted to only accept 6 students from the MSMS program into the inaugural MD program (which also you have to remember the MSMS curriculum isnt only “ponce-stl” its the tiberhealth network of schools, ) that is problematic. And what’s also problematic is someone coming on this forum trying to tell people what score someone doesn’t need to apply with when admissions say otherwise like someone died and left that individual in charge.

And yes the application cycle isn’t over yet so I wishing the best for everyone because I am not a know it all who tells people what score they can not apply with when I know of MSMS alumni individuals who were accepted with scores around 490 from the ponce-pr and ponce-stl campuses

Everyone get the choose your medical school email from Ponce?

I received ii back in October and I am now debating to submit it. Its later in the application so I am not sure if its too late to submit it, any suggestions? Also, is anyone applying to the PR campus that is fluent in Spanish (can read and write perfectly), but never received science classes in Spanish? Medical terminology is something you need to learn if you never received classes in Spanish as an Undergraduate student. This makes me question whether i should apply or not.

I received ii back in October and I am now debating to submit it. Its later in the application so I am not sure if its too late to submit it, any suggestions? Also, is anyone applying to the PR campus that is fluent in Spanish (can read and write perfectly), but never received science classes in Spanish? Medical terminology is something you need to learn if you never received classes in Spanish as an Undergraduate student. This makes me question whether i should apply or not.
ii is interview invite.
i think you mean secondary??

And yes the application cycle isn’t over yet so I wishing the best for everyone because I am not a know it all who tells people what score they can not apply with when I know of MSMS alumni individuals who were accepted with scores around 490 from the ponce-pr and ponce-stl campuses
There is a range of scores at all medical schools. There is probably one or 2 people getting in at 490 because they have other extraordinary accomplishments/personal adversities but that is not the norm.

Everyone get the choose your medical school email from Ponce?
Just received it as well! Just curious, have you received an ii? I'm just trying to figure out if this email is a sign of an A or not lol

Just received it as well! Just curious, have you received an ii? I'm just trying to figure out if this email is a sign of an A or not lol
if you log into AMCAS and you have choose your school and Ponce is listed on there that would indicate an A i think