2022-2023 Ponce (St. Louis)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Since you have gone to the school how do you feel about the school? Have you heard about any shady things?
No I havent. I personally value the same values as the school. The education as a msms student we learned about health disparities and even for the future from talkin with md students, they are feeling prepared by the curriculum and will have physicians from mercy teaching questions for step. I feel like this in regards to the scandal: The person says that shes “getting away with it”..but she didnt. She literally got her license revoked in another state and ordered to pay back all that money which happened back in 2017. Also, what medical school is really going to list their faculty’s criminal record in their bio. Be realistic here. Lastly, as i mentioned , why should she tell any of her business fo her students because it was already taken care of in the courts. Court records is public information. What is the purpose of making this news?. And to be clear i am not saying what dr. Blackmun did was right. It was absolutely wrong and disgusting. But its also like, “ ok thats been done and over with.. whats the point here?.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
No I havent. I personally value the same values as the school. The education as a msms student we learned about health disparities and even for the future from talkin with md students, they are feeling prepared by the curriculum and will have physicians from mercy teaching questions for step. I feel like this in regards to the scandal: The person says that shes “getting away with it”..but she didnt. She literally got her license revoked in another state and ordered to pay back all that money which happened back in 2017. Also, what medical school is really going to list their faculty’s criminal record in their bio. Be realistic here. Lastly, as i mentioned , why should she tell any of her business fo her students because it was already taken care of in the courts. Court records is public information. What is the purpose of making this news?. And to be clear i am not saying what dr. Blackmun did was right. It was absolutely wrong and disgusting. But its also like, “ ok thats been done and over with.. whats the point here?.
I think the point of sharing it here is to give people the option to choose whether or not they want to attend a medical school and potentially learn medical ethics from someone who allegedly has a criminal history of making unethical choices.

Don’t go here. I posted this in the main pre-MD forum, but I thought all of you could benefit as well.

Also, if you decide to apply anyway, know that there are way more shady things going on at this school than this article posts. I have recordings and other proof that I am planning to pursue now that this Medicare fraud article came out.
I am a current M1 at PHSU-STL. I have had a very positive experience thus far and am happy with the level of training and support I’m receiving. This story was brought to the news, I believe, by an unhappy current or former MSMS student. If students who are currently applying have any particular questions or concerns, feel free to reach out to me.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the point of sharing it here is to give people the option to choose whether or not they want to attend a medical school and potentially learn medical ethics from someone who allegedly has a criminal history of making unethical choices.
Dr. Blackmun does not teach medical students medical ethics. MSMS students only.

Do you think medical schools share everything to their students or do you think any other medical school would do that?. As much as we like to hold physicians and medicine to a standard and we aim want the best for patients, You cant expect institutions not ponce or any other medical school to be forthcoming with that information .

Do you think medical schools share everything to their students or do you think any other medical school would do that?. As much as we like to hold physicians and medicine to a standard and we aim want the best for patients, You cant expect institutions not ponce or any other medical school to be forthcoming with that information .
i mean i don't think every professor needs to disclose their history, but the fact that the professor is teaching the very thing that they have a felony conviction for is a red flag for me, and honestly speaks more to me about the integrity and leadership of the for-profit program in making such a hire, without informing students and giving them the right to choose. like the article said, i think you'd be hard pressed to find many other reputable schools that hire those with felony convictions, much less felony convictions within the very field they will be educating around. it was also a red flag that the article states the professor allegedly made no mention of even acknowledging wrongdoing or what they've learned from that experience. again, i don't think every professor needs to disclose their history, but when a professor allegedly (yet was convicted of) prescribing and performing unnecessary medical procedures on patients (?????), that gives me pause. and i think the students that unknowingly received their medical ethics education from someone who has allegedly made no mention of remorse have every right to feel a little deceived.

Reactions: 1 user
i mean i don't think every professor needs to disclose their history, but the fact that the professor is teaching the very thing that they have a felony conviction for is a red flag for me, and honestly speaks more to me about the integrity and leadership of the for-profit program in making such a hire, without informing students and giving them the right to choose. like the article said, i think you'd be hard pressed to find many other reputable schools that hire those with felony convictions, much less felony convictions within the very field they will be educating around. it was also a red flag that the article states the professor allegedly made no mention of even acknowledging wrongdoing or what they've learned from that experience. again, i don't think every professor needs to disclose their history, but when a professor allegedly (yet was convicted of) prescribing and performing unnecessary medical procedures on patients (?????), that gives me pause. and i think the students that unknowingly received their medical ethics education from someone who has allegedly made no mention of remorse have every right to feel a little deceived.
I don’t entirely disagree. However, Dr. Blackmun’s history was not a secret on campus. And, if you approached admin and asked about her history (as I did my first semester), they would tell you the truth. So I’m very hesitant to call what they did “dishonest” or “deceitful.” In general, I’m proud to be at a school that supports POCs, especially women, in medicine.

Additionally, I believe that if this particular student had an issue with Dr. Blackmun teaching medical ethics, and all they wanted was to address that issue, they would have gone to school admin. Instead, they went straight to the media, leading me to believe that their motives were to hurt the reputation of the school, not seek resolution.

Finally, I believe the schools response to its students in light of this news said a lot more than any mistakes may have been made. Admin, including Dr. Lenihan, have been very transparent about what is going on, how they could have done things differently, and how they are working to support us moving forward.

This story was brought up by a current medical student. It says so in the article. This Is a school that has been very dishonest and threatening toward students who have brought up concerns about false grading, fake retention, sexist and racist professors, etc. There is no real instruction. This school advertises Indeed for “script writers” for prerecorded lectures on topics. These video lectures aren’t even of the professors that are in front of students each day. The scripts are written, the students watch the lectures online and then time spent in class is taken up mostly by answering quiz questions and looking at the same PowerPoints that were presented online. When students have asked questions in class, the professors are not prepared to answer the questions. There are maybe one or two of the professors that can intelligently answer questions asked. In fact, students are so poorly prepared that when professors have asked students questions in class, maybe 5 people out of the entire class can even attempt to answer the questions.
Students from the MSMS program who do not make it into the following medical class are “assistants” and do the majority, if not all in some cases, of grading and absolutely anything else that has to be done. They lead discussion groups and aren‘t academically prepared from their “earned” MSMS degree so they can’t answer questions either.
I have a recording of an assistant laughing about how she added around 30 points to students’ grade earlier in the program. If they are adding points, they can take them away as well. After one exam, several students received a higher grade from Examsoft than was on their student account way later than the exam date. Finally, grades were changed and the lower grades were blamed on ExamSoft.
The MSMS program is a cash grab. They will take anyone and set the grading extremely low. It’s based on how the cohort is doing well into the program. Once they see how they’re doing, that’s when the grading scale will be set. Passing for this cohort was set at 40.
I have recordings and further proof about everything I have claimed here. I will pursue this further. The article gave me courage to do so. They accept people who are desperate. Don’t doubt yourself so much. You can get in somewhere else, even if you have to strengthen your application and then reapply.

Edit: The grades are not curved. It was stressed to us that the program is not on a curve.

Last edited by a moderator:
This story was brought up by a current medical student. It says so in the article.
Again, medical students are not taught medical ethics by Dr. Blackmun. If the student that came forward was taught by her, they are/were an MSMS student.
These video lectures aren’t even of the professors that are in front of students each day.
MD and MSMS students are taught using a flipped classroom. We have our main instructors in Puerto Rico who make recorded lectures, which we watch prior to coming to class. In class, MDs and PhDs facilitate in-class iClicker question sessions, which is pretty common for flipped classrooms in medical school.
They lead discussion groups
Again, this is for MSMS students and does not pertain to the MD program. Discussion groups for MD students are led by MDs and PhDs.
Once they see how they’re doing, that’s when the grading scale will be set.
Also fairly normal to set passing grades based on where the class average is. It's called a curve.

Again, medical students are not taught medical ethics by Dr. Blackmun. If the student that came forward was taught by her, they are/were an MSMS student.

MD and MSMS students are taught using a flipped classroom. We have our main instructors in Puerto Rico who make recorded lectures, which we watch prior to coming to class. In class, MDs and PhDs facilitate in-class iClicker question sessions, which is pretty common for flipped classrooms in medical school.

Again, this is for MSMS students and does not pertain to the MD program. Discussion groups for MD students are led by MDs and PhDs.

Also fairly normal to set passing grades based on where the class average is. It's called a curve.
It. Is. Not. A. Curve.
I have said all I can say on this topic on here. I wish I knew who did the article so we could compare notes. I have what I need to report where I need to report. I am glad you feel supported but there are plenty of people who do not.

This story was brought up by a current medical student. It says so in the article. This Is a school that has been very dishonest and threatening toward students who have brought up concerns about false grading, fake retention, sexist and racist professors, etc. There is no real instruction. This school advertises Indeed for “script writers” for prerecorded lectures on topics. These video lectures aren’t even of the professors that are in front of students each day. The scripts are written, the students watch the lectures online and then time spent in class is taken up mostly by answering quiz questions and looking at the same PowerPoints that were presented online. When students have asked questions in class, the professors are not prepared to answer the questions. There are maybe one or two of the professors that can intelligently answer questions asked. In fact, students are so poorly prepared that when professors have asked students questions in class, maybe 5 people out of the entire class can even attempt to answer the questions.
Students from the MSMS program who do not make it into the following medical class are “assistants” and do the majority, if not all in some cases, of grading and absolutely anything else that has to be done. They lead discussion groups and aren‘t academically prepared from their “earned” MSMS degree so they can’t answer questions either.
I have a recording of an assistant laughing about how she added around 30 points to students’ grade earlier in the program. If they are adding points, they can take them away as well. After one exam, several students received a higher grade from Examsoft than was on their student account way later than the exam date. Finally, grades were changed and the lower grades were blamed on ExamSoft.
The MSMS program is a cash grab. They will take anyone and set the grading extremely low. It’s based on how the cohort is doing well into the program. Once they see how they’re doing, that’s when the grading scale will be set. Passing for this cohort was set at 40.
I have recordings and further proof about everything I have claimed here. I will pursue this further. The article gave me courage to do so. They accept people who are desperate. Don’t doubt yourself so much. You can get in somewhere else, even if you have to strengthen your application and then reapply.

Edit: The grades are not curved. It was stressed to us that the program is not on a curve.
Maybe apply somewhere else? Or bring this recording to the administration? I don't think it's appropriate to criticize someone based on past mistakes. As prospective Physicians we will inevitably make mistakes. Would you want someone to hold it over your head like this after you've already suffered the consequences? Food for thought...

I went to this school and had a great experience and faculty wrote me letters to get into an MD school in another state. The program isn't meant to be easy and I studied 6 hours a day... I don't regret going to PHSU for a second.

PS- since you are an MSMS student you should know that tuition isn't 80k... seems like there are a lot of holes in the article to me.

Last edited:
  • Love
Members don't see this ad :)
It. Is. Not. A. Curve.
I have said all I can say on this topic on here. I wish I knew who did the article so we could compare notes. I have what I need to report where I need to report. I am glad you feel supported but there are plenty of people who do not.
It seems as though your frustration lies with the MSMS program, rather than the MD program. I hope you are able to get the support you need.

Don't you have an exam coming up? The energy you've put into this is probably why you're on the lower end of the "curve" and not feeling supported. Maybe if you study and focus on doing well and reach out for help, you'd feel supported.
The user isn't a student at the school lol

… congratulations in first half of your post you described a flipped classroom model🤣. Also you complain about the msms program but the program is what you make it. If you cant keep up itll show, if can then it will pay off. There were a few in my cohort who were making c’s in the program this program is NOT easy and also you have to score a certain percentage on your nbme’s to be considered for the MD program. There are parameters in place to access applicants for the md program its not like they are just passing out degrees . I know peers who are now in dental school, pharmacy school, medical school elsewhere and have used ponce to further their careers. I have great letters of rec from faculty in this program

Maybe apply somewhere else? Or bring this recording to the administration? I don't think it's appropriate to criticize someone based on past mistakes. As prospective Physicians we will inevitably make mistakes. Would you want someone to hold it over your head like this after you've already suffered the consequences? Food for thought...

I went to this school and had a great experience and faculty wrote me letters to get into an MD school in another state. The program isn't meant to be easy and I studied 6 hours a day... I don't regret going to PHSU for a second.

PS- since you are an MSMS student you should know that tuition isn't 80k... seems like there are a lot of holes in the article to me.
i see what you're saying but a felony conviction for defrauding medicare is hardly a "mistake." that's not something you do on "accident." i think we need to be careful to not equate physician mistakes with intentionally defrauding some of our most vulnerable populations for financial gain. you can love your program and appreciate what you gleaned from it without minimizing a really serious crime. both can exist at the same time.

If you're an MS1 elsewhere at a different school, what business is this of yours?
i mean as med students and future physicians, i think the ethics of medical education and practice is all of our businesses, eh?

i see what you're saying but a felony conviction for defrauding medicare is hardly a "mistake." that's not something you do on "accident." i think we need to be careful to not equate physician mistakes with intentionally defrauding some of our most vulnerable populations for financial gain. you can love your program and appreciate what you gleaned from it without minimizing a really serious crime. both can exist at the same time.
I think you’re right, and I don’t think anyone’s actions are being minimized. In this case, Dr. Blackmun has been to court, convicted, nearly served her probation, paid back the money, and is now being drug through the media. Additionally, now, current MSMS students are aware of her history, and the school to my knowledge plans to notify future MSMS students. I believe healthy discussion and transparency is important; however, now that all of this has come to light, it’s unclear to me what more is wanted.

I think you’re right, and I don’t think anyone’s actions are being minimized. In this case, Dr. Blackmun has been to court, convicted, nearly served her probation, paid back the money, and is now being drug through the media. Additionally, now, current MSMS students are aware of her history, and the school to my knowledge plans to notify future MSMS students. I believe healthy discussion and transparency is important; however, now that all of this has come to light, it’s unclear to me what more is wanted.
i definitely think that's fair and totally see what you're saying. i think ethical questions remain as to whether someone with that history should be teaching medical ethics to aspiring physicians, however as long as students are given the opportunity to make fully informed decisions as to where they receive their education, that decision is ultimately in their hands! happy you landed in place where you feel like you're thriving and receiving a great education!

Hey Folks!

I am so stoked that people are excited about applying to PHSU-StL and sharing their thoughts and feelings about the process thus far. I know it’s not easy! Applying to ANY medical school is an emotional roller coaster, and everyone wants the clearest answers possible to decipher as to whether they will be accepted or not. I would like to be one of the many people to remind you: you are more than enough, you are fighting a battle very few people fight, and you WILL make it happen if you want it enough.

Let me please introduce myself. I am currently an M1, the student body president of PHSU-StL, and a previous MSMS student at PHSU-StL. In full disclosure, my raw undergrad science GPA was a 2.7, and my cumulative GPA was roughly 3.8. Following undergrad I moved from out of state and did a strictly advanced science post baccalaureate program at the University of Missouri St. Louis resulting in a highly competitive GPA. I then did the MSMS program at PHSU, simultaneously studied for and took the MCAT, and graduated with honors in the MSMS program. Additionality, I have 10 years of work experience in healthcare with some being highly specialized. My volunteer hours, shadowing hours, leadership experience, and extracurricular activities are innumerable. As you have probably caught onto; yes, I am older; yes, I am an “alternative student.”

PHSU was not my only option, but the option I thought was the best for me. For those of you who have not applied, are unaware, or have not yet thoroughly researched this school you will find that it is based out of Puerto Rico, is a first-year MD CAMPUS (not school) as of 2022, uses flipped classroom methodology, highly promotes diversity studies and integrative medicine, is located in downtown St. Louis, will have an incoming MD class of roughly 30 until reevaluation in 2026, and is fully accredited in the United States.

Additionally, applications are still being reviewed, interviews are still occurring, and acceptances are still rolling out. Stay positive and don’t believe these wild conspiracy theories, even if they're coming from "alumni." I was accepted “*late*,” but it was all in the grand plan.

Finally, if you have extreme doubts about this school, professors teaching at it, fears, “recordings,” blackmail, threats, etc. I would highly discourage you from applying to this school (edited to add: any medical school), further commenting on any post regarding this program, and report your investigative actions to advisory boards immediately. I would also highly advise you reevaluate your level of professionalism in the workplace and reassess as to whether medicine is a field you could morally withstand. Afterall, you’re only human, working alongside humans, to help humans.

I stand by my decision in choosing PHSU, please feel free to reach out!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Hey Folks!

I am so stoked that people are excited about applying to PHSU-StL and sharing their thoughts and feelings about the process thus far. I know it’s not easy! Applying to ANY medical school is an emotional roller coaster, and everyone wants the clearest answers possible to decipher as to whether they will be accepted or not. I would like to be one of the many people to remind you: you are more than enough, you are fighting a battle very few people fight, and you WILL make it happen if you want it enough.

Let me please introduce myself. I am currently an M1, the student body president of PHSU-StL, and a previous MSMS student at PHSU-StL. In full disclosure, my raw undergrad science GPA was a 2.7, and my cumulative GPA was roughly 3.8. Following undergrad I moved from out of state and did a strictly advanced science post baccalaureate program at the University of Missouri St. Louis resulting in a highly competitive GPA. I then did the MSMS program at PHSU, simultaneously studied for and took the MCAT, and graduated with honors in the MSMS program. Additionality, I have 12 years of work experience in healthcare with some being highly specialized. My volunteer hours, shadowing hours, leadership experience, and extracurricular activities are innumerable. As you have probably caught onto; yes, I am older; yes, I am an “alternative student.”

PHSU was not my only option, but the option I thought was the best for me. For those of you who have not applied, are unaware, or have not yet thoroughly researched this school you will find that it is based out of Puerto Rico, is a first-year MD CAMPUS (not school) as of 2022, uses flipped classroom methodology, highly promotes diversity studies and integrative medicine, is located in downtown St. Louis, will have an incoming MD class of roughly 30 until reevaluation in 2026, and is fully accredited in the United States.

Additionally, applications are still being reviewed, interviews are still occurring, and acceptances are still rolling out. Stay positive and don’t believe these wild conspiracy theories, even if they're coming from "alumni." I was accepted “*late*,” but it was all in the grand plan.

Finally, if you have extreme doubts about this school, professors teaching at it, fears, “recordings,” blackmail, threats, etc. I would highly discourage you from applying to this school, further commenting on any post regarding this program, and report your investigative actions to advisory boards immediately. I would also highly advise you reevaluate your level of professionalism in the workplace and reassess as to whether medicine is a field you could morally withstand. Afterall, you’re only human, working alongside humans, to help humans.

I stand by my decision in choosing PHSU, please feel free to reach out!
Thank you for sharing your views!.

How do current students like the campus?
I really like it. It's small, but an appropriate size for the amount of students. Keep in mind, there is one MSMS cohort every year, will be up to 4 MD cohorts, and 5-6 PsyD cohorts at max capacity. It was built in 2022, so everything is brand new, and they are adding to it day-by-day to fit the requests/needs of the students.
Biggest complaint: Parking (they are working on adding additional lots)
Biggest perk: everything is at your fingertips on campus, downtown location
Please feel free to reach out with any additional questions!

Last edited:
Are there mandatory lectures if so how long are you in school for and is it H/P/F ranked based grading system?

Are there mandatory lectures if so how long are you in school for and is it H/P/F ranked based grading system?
Yes, our grading system is H/P/F, with H≤90, and P≤70.

Having a flipped classroom, our lectures are all on canvas to be watched on our own time (watching them is not required, but highly recommended and very helpful).

Required in-class time includes group-discussion-based iClicker sessions, labs, and other community medicine/case report sessions, with the number of hours being pretty varied from day to day. However, the school is currently adjusting the schedule to have less required in-class time, which should take effect in the coming school year.

How do current students like the campus?
I'm a fan of the campus. It's brand new, and I like the study spaces, which have a good variety of closed study rooms and open/group study spaces. I appreciate that I can come to campus and work with my study group, but also I can always find a quiet spot where I won't be distracted. Our anatomy lab is also brand new, which was pretty cool.

Like @unorthodoxmd said above, the parking is meh, but honestly, compared to WashU's parking situation, it's much better. We have a guarded lot across the street that we have parking passes for, though some students use the bussing system since we have a stop very nearby.

The area is a very central location in St. Louis, so there are a lot of housing options nearby, and lots of good restaurants, grocery stores, etc.

Great to hear, how are the student orgs?
Since this is our first year here, just getting them started. There’s lot of room and interest to start their own if they’re interested. Right now we have EMSA (Emergency Medicine Student Association), SNMA (Student National Medical Association), AMWA (American Medical Women's Association), Active Minds (mental health organization), and PoliMed (medical politics organization). I believe there is a Reproductive Justice national group in the works right now, as well.

Edit to add: even though the groups are "new," they're nationally established, and students are very involved in them. This semester we have some cool stuff going with EMSA and AWMA, including ultrasound workshops, a suture workshop, and an IUD insertion workshop. A group of students from PoliMed also just went to the capitol for Physician Advocacy day.

Last edited:
Since this is our first year here, just getting them started. There’s lot of room and interest to start their own if they’re interested. Right now we have EMSA (Emergency Medicine Student Association), SNMA (Student National Medical Association), AMWA (American Medical Women's Association), Active Minds (mental health organization), and PoliMed (medical politics organization). I believe there is a Reproductive Justice national group in the works right now, as well.

Edit to add: even though the groups are "new," they're nationally established, and students are very involved in them. This semester we have some cool stuff going with EMSA and AWMA, including ultrasound workshops, a suture workshop, and an IUD insertion workshop. A group of students from PoliMed also just went to the capitol for Physician Advocacy day.
How are the students passing the exams? Like is anyone ‘failing’ and how does the faculty support it’s students ?.

How are the students passing the exams? Like is anyone ‘failing’ and how does the faculty support it’s students ?.
I feel like we have really good comradery in our class and are willing to help each other. We have former MSMS students who are now M1’s who have been extremely open to classmates reaching out for tips on how to study. I know that when I was struggling last semester, I had classmates whom I felt safe going to for help. I have not had any experiences with the “gunner” type of mentality here, which I’m really grateful for, and have always been met with a willingness to help by my classmates.

If you fail an exam (lower than 70%), you’re required to meet with the instructor of the class. It is not disciplinary, and the professor will meet with you to figure out how you have been studying and what to change, what they can help you understand better, etc. I also met with our dean of education to come up with test-taking strategies (not required, but I found it to be very helpful). I do know that there were some students who were really struggling with particular classes last semester, but because our class is so small, that was noticed early enough that meetings/tutoring/additional resources were put into place, and to my knowledge, we had no failed classes by MD students at the St. Louis campus last semester.

The combination of having small classes and being the inaugural cohort of the St. Louis location means that faculty here are very invested in us succeeding in classes and passing step, and they’re able to be very hands on.

Choose my medical school tool is up, says accepted lol! Hopefully confirmation from Ponce soon

Reactions: 5 users
I feel like we have really good comradery in our class and are willing to help each other. We have former MSMS students who are now M1’s who have been extremely open to classmates reaching out for tips on how to study. I know that when I was struggling last semester, I had classmates whom I felt safe going to for help. I have not had any experiences with the “gunner” type of mentality here, which I’m really grateful for, and have always been met with a willingness to help by my classmates.

If you fail an exam (lower than 70%), you’re required to meet with the instructor of the class. It is not disciplinary, and the professor will meet with you to figure out how you have been studying and what to change, what they can help you understand better, etc. I also met with our dean of education to come up with test-taking strategies (not required, but I found it to be very helpful). I do know that there were some students who were really struggling with particular classes last semester, but because our class is so small, that was noticed early enough that meetings/tutoring/additional resources were put into place, and to my knowledge, we had no failed classes by MD students at the St. Louis campus last semester.

The combination of having small classes and being the inaugural cohort of the St. Louis location means that faculty here are very invested in us succeeding in classes and passing step, and they’re able to be very hands on.
Thanks! Also, you said they will continue to build to make space for entering classes. But arent they building a new medical school building

Is there a primary care focus for residency placements or does the school do a good job preparing for surgical/more competitive specialties as well?

Thanks! Also, you said they will continue to build to make space for entering classes. But arent they building a new medical school building
I'm not really sure about building to make more space for entering classes. We seem to have enough room for now. They are building a new medical school, but I don't think our class will be around to see it.

Is there a primary care focus for residency placements or does the school do a good job preparing for surgical/more competitive specialties as well?
Looking at their match rates,
  • Internal med seems to have the highest number of students
  • Then peds and EM
  • Then OBGyn, Psychiatry, Gen Surg, and Radiology,
  • Fewest in Urology, PMNR, neurology, Derm, anesthesiology, and family med.
  • None in ophthalmology, neuro surg, or otolaryngology between 2017-2020

Looking at their match rates,
  • Internal med seems to have the highest number of students
  • Then peds and EM
  • Then OBGyn, Psychiatry, Gen Surg, and Radiology,
  • Fewest in Urology, PMNR, neurology, Derm, anesthesiology, and family med.
  • None in ophthalmology, neuro surg, or otolaryngology between 2017-2020
How are research opportunities at Ponce? Are they easily accessible/attainable or do students typically not participate in research as much at Ponce?

How are research opportunities at Ponce? Are they easily accessible/attainable or do students typically not participate in research as much at Ponce?
Research is being highly encouraged for our class right now. It's not mandatory, but it's been a huge push from our faculty to do some sort of reach over the summer. We have an MD-PhD professor who has met with us individually this semester to make sure we have opportunities set up if we want to and to help us find available opportunities through Mercy, WashU, etc. Every person I've talked to in my class has some sort of research opportunity lined up for this summer, so definitely attainable and encouraged.

Research is being highly encouraged for our class right now. It's not mandatory, but it's been a huge push from our faculty to do some sort of reach over the summer. We have an MD-PhD professor who has met with us individually this semester to make sure we have opportunities set up if we want to and to help us find available opportunities through Mercy, WashU, etc. Every person I've talked to in my class has some sort of research opportunity lined up for this summer, so definitely attainable and encouraged.
What is the exam schedule like? Do you guys have a exam every week, biweekly, etc? Also where do students typically live?

What does that look like “ helping us find available opportunities through mercy washu etc.”. Like do they personally reach out to staff at these universities and hospitals on you all behalf?. Can you give insight on what research opportunity you your fellow student peers have?

Did anyone else receive the unofficial acceptance letter with attached documents?

What is the exam schedule like? Do you guys have an exam every week, biweekly, etc? Also where do students typically live?
Basically every Monday. 3 exams per class per semester. Students live in rental apartments or houses in the area, a couple have bought houses nearby (including myself).

What does that look like “ helping us find available opportunities through mercy washu etc.”. Like do they personally reach out to staff at these universities and hospitals on you all behalf?. Can you give insight on what research opportunity you your fellow student peers have?
We have a contract with Mercy so they send us research opportunities we can apply for at Mercy where students from PHSU get first dibs. I've probably gotten 30 emails about different research opportunities available this semester, some of them to apply for at different schools/the NIH. A lot of students are just reaching out to whatever lab they're interested in, especially since a lot of students want to go back home for the summer. My personal feeling is that if you want to do research and put any amount of effort into finding some, you can.

I'll be working at WashU this summer in an allergy/immunology lab. I'm also working with a physician here on a case report with a couple of other students that we are planning to submit later this semester. Another student will be at the NIH this summer for an internship she applied for and got. Several students are participating in a "mini med school" this summer where they will be doing research on the children participating. Others are traveling back home to do research at local universities. Those are just the answers from people sitting around me at the moment.

Basically every Monday. 3 exams per class per semester. Students live in rental apartments or houses in the area, a couple have bought houses nearby (including myself).
Do you know how the WL movement is?

Did anyone receive the official acceptance yet? I’m confused do I get it after I submit the documents? And what’s the deadline on the documents?

Did anyone receive the official acceptance yet? I’m confused do I get it after I submit the documents? And what’s the deadline on the documents?
I have not received one yet. The unofficial acceptance email just says to complete the documents ASAP and that an official notification will be sent in the next 14 days. I am unsure if that means you must submit the documents to receive it or will receive one regardless. I would probably submit the documents sooner rather than later just in case.