2021-2022 Ponce

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Just got the secondary at 12:22PM EST, also received a "Credits Required for MD Program..." email as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how the St. Louis campus is going to work? Like is it a separate application from the main campus? I saw it was starting Fall 2022

Does anyone know how the St. Louis campus is going to work? Like is it a separate application from the main campus? I saw it was starting Fall 2022
As far as I know, this campus doesn’t exist yet or is still being built but please someone correct me if I’m wrong!

Reactions: 1 user
The website where they ask you to fill out the secondary also has a separate secondary application for the St. Louis campus.

On their website it also says "Classes begin August 2022": MD FAQ | Master's in Medical Sciences FAQ | PHSU St. Louis

Weird :/
The website is confusing because it’s simultaneously a page with information on the Master in Medical Sciences but also the MD program without clear dates?

I would love to indicate I’m interested in attending the St. Louis campus if there is an option.

Last edited:
The website is confusing because it’s simultaneously a page with information on the Master in Medical Sciences but also the MD program without clear dates?

I would love to indicate I’m interested in attending the St. Louis campus if there is an option.
I read on a news article that "The program itself is expected to launch in August 2022 with an initial cohort of 30 students but is poised to grow to nearly 1,200 medical students between both campuses and create up to 120 staff and faculty positions. "

On their website, they also wrote: "PHSU will be launching its expanded M.D. program cohort of 30 students in St. Louis in August 2022."
So maybe they're starting the program with students from the MMS first?

I read on a news article that "The program itself is expected to launch in August 2022 with an initial cohort of 30 students but is poised to grow to nearly 1,200 medical students between both campuses and create up to 120 staff and faculty positions. "

On their website, they also wrote: "PHSU will be launching its expanded M.D. program cohort of 30 students in St. Louis in August 2022."
So maybe they're starting the program with students from the MMS first?
While I don’t see anything about a linkage, that would make sense. However the expansion almost sounds like they would be opening up 30 seats to the 2022 entering class in St. Louis. Maybe it will be an option brought up later in the cycle to students if this is all true? 30 people is an extremely small class.

While I don’t see anything about a linkage, that would make sense. However the expansion almost sounds like they would be opening up 30 seats to the 2022 entering class in St. Louis. Maybe it will be an option brought up later in the cycle to students if this is all true? 30 people is an extremely small class.
Linkage: Master's with Linkage to Medical School | MSMS | PHSU St. Louis

I agree that its a small class, I'll reach out tomorrow and see what they say :thumbup:

Just got the email with info about applying to the St. Louis campus. I already submitted my secondary before I knew this so I emailed asking if there was a way to change desired campuses since I currently live on the mainland.

Just got the email with info about applying to the St. Louis campus. I already submitted my secondary before I knew this so I emailed asking if there was a way to change desired campuses since I currently live on the mainland.
What did they say? I may consider doing the same thing as well

I actually managed to turn in my application for St. Louis one specifically. I got in contacted with the St. Louis branch people, and they said if you already turned in the Main Campus secondary, you can contact the admission ([email protected]) and move the application to St. Louis campus instead.

Members don't see this ad :)
What did they say? I may consider doing the same thing as well
They changed my campus of interest the following day, it seems like it’s no problem at all as long as you email them quickly.

Is it still a requirement to speak Spanish if you go to the campus in St Louis? I'm fluent but I'm just curious if they'll receive a lot of applications for those 30 spots..

Is it still a requirement to speak Spanish if you go to the campus in St Louis? I'm fluent but I'm just curious if they'll receive a lot of applications for those 30 spots..
I saw somewhere that all St. Louis material will be taught entirely in English

From their secondary invite email, "At the St. Louis Branch Campus, classes are taught in English, therefore the Spanish course is not required."

From their secondary invite email, "At the St. Louis Branch Campus, classes are taught in English, therefore the Spanish course is not required."
Makes sense. My concern is that it's going to be uber competitive given that they only have 30 spots available. I'm still trying to decide if I should switch my application to St Louis or just stick with Ponce

Makes sense. My concern is that it's going to be uber competitive given that they only have 30 spots available. I'm still trying to decide if I should switch my application to St Louis or just stick with Ponce
I'm genuinely not sure this is true this year. I only found out about this through an e-mail after applying and I doubt they are heavily advertising this. Also keep in mind that the vast majority of Ponce applicants are from PR and the OOS applicants are few compared to general MD applicants as there aren't many who apply to PR schools.

I'm genuinely not sure this is true this year. I only found out about this through an e-mail after applying and I doubt they are heavily advertising the St. Louis campus with only 30 spots available. Also keep in mind that the vast majority of Ponce applicants are from PR and the OOS applicants are few compared to general MD applicants as there aren't many who apply to PR schools.

I'm genuinely not sure this is true this year. I only found out about this through an e-mail after applying and I doubt they are heavily advertising this. Also keep in mind that the vast majority of Ponce applicants are from PR and the OOS applicants are few compared to general MD applicants as there aren't many who apply to PR schools.
^^ I never received an email that they had opened a St. Louis campus, and I got an II from the PR campus, so definitely not advertising it heavily lol

I've tried emailing both campuses about it but no response

^^ I never received an email that they had opened a St. Louis campus, and I got an II from the PR campus, so definitely not advertising it heavily lol

I've tried emailing both campuses about it but no response
The PR schools seen to be crazy slow with e-mails, I emailed UCC and got a response over a month and a half later. I was surprised they responded so quickly when I asked for the change of campus. Have you tried calling?

The PR schools seen to be crazy slow with e-mails, I emailed UCC and got a response over a month and a half later. I was surprised they responded so quickly when I asked for the change of campus. Have you tried calling?
I called the St. Louis campus but I think I'll just drop it cause I'm worried this would affect my post-II decision, if I'm trying to change campuses right after

Well, I changed my application to St. Louis. Wish me luck. I think it would be super cool. I'm sure after 4 years, all 30 students will know each other super well.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I have an interview coming up soon. I'm a little confused because I thought I had applied for the st louis campus but it said it was for the main campus.
When did they reach out with your invite?

Anyone else interview know when we should expect to hear back? I interviewed back in September but I was never told when to expect to hear about a decision.

Anyone else interview know when we should expect to hear back? I interviewed back in September but I was never told when to expect to hear about a decision.
The mystery with Ponce continues. I got a call last month just to discuss the St. Louis program and haven’t heard anything since.

I interviewed late August and still waiting for the decision but I have seen from previous years that they start releasing decisions in late November/ early December. I called the other day and they told the admissions committee had not had their meeting yet.

I got a notification from them today (interviewed early October) saying the following: As part of Ponce Health Science University Admissions evaluation process policies, those applicant that did not study in Puerto Rico and attended an interview are referred to our Language Assessment Program. You will be contacted with further details.

Does anyone have any idea what this means?

I got a notification from them today (interviewed early October) saying the following: As part of Ponce Health Science University Admissions evaluation process policies, those applicant that did not study in Puerto Rico and attended an interview are referred to our Language Assessment Program. You will be contacted with further details.

Does anyone have any idea what this means?
+1, I got this email as well

Do you think everyone gets this email?
Not 100% sure but, the email may be referring to this: Language Support Program - Ponce Health Sciences University

At the bottom of the webpage you’ll find this:
“Qualified to participate:

Spanish Learning Project [Spanish Reinforcement]
  • U.S.A. Candidates for MD Program, by default will be assessed. Language Assessment is required and used as criteria for admissions.
  • All U.S.A. MD Candidates admitted and enrolled must participate under the Executive Policy Committee.
  • All International Students”

Not 100% sure but, the email may be referring to this: Language Support Program - Ponce Health Sciences University

At the bottom of the webpage you’ll find this:
“Qualified to participate:

Spanish Learning Project [Spanish Reinforcement]
  • U.S.A. Candidates for MD Program, by default will be assessed. Language Assessment is required and used as criteria for admissions.
  • All U.S.A. MD Candidates admitted and enrolled must participate under the Executive Policy Committee.
  • All International Students”
oh okay thank you. a little nervous about my Spanish! but it seems as if everyone is assessed by default.

I meant did you do ur zoom interview with the PR campus (instead of the St Louis one) lol. Because the Puerto Rico campus interview is in Spanish so if you did fine there then you’ll be good
Ohhh my bad lol I did it w the pr campus in Spanish and still got the email. Does that mean my Spanish was bad?

So no one here was heard from the St. Louis program/campus?