2020-2021 Ponce

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do we get a email if we’re accepted or do we need to check the portal?

Members don't see this ad.

I hope everyone’s holding up with this peculiar cycle.

Has anyone that interviewed in December heard back yet?
518 and mediocre sGPA & general GPA...(< 3.00)
Starting to worry 🙃

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do we get a email if we’re accepted or do we need to check the portal?
I'm not sure if this forum is regarding Ponce Health Sciences University in Puerto Rico, but if so, then yes, you will receive an e-mail with all the documents necessary to enroll.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how long they are interviewing? I submitted early January.
They will be interviewing up until May if I'm not mistaken. The process was delayed due to the pandemic this year, so don't worry if you haven't received an interview invitation yet.

For all accepted students: a fellow classmate made a facebook group for the Class of 2025. If you’re interested in joining here’s the link:

Anyone knows in which hospitals PHSU students are doing their rotations?

Does anyone know if the students that do the Master in Medical Sciences actually get accepted into the MD program?

And do they have to retake the MCAT and do well?
¡Hola! Si tu MCAT es más de 490 no lo tienes que volver a tomar.

Tengo entendido que debes salir súper bien en todas las clases de maestría para que ellos te aseguren entrevista para medicina.

Te recomiendo llamar a la escuela. ¡Suerte!

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the students that do the Master in Medical Sciences actually get accepted into the MD program?
Se de dos personas que fueron admitidos al programa de medicina luego de hacer esa maestría pero no te sabría decir más..

Does anyone know how their expansion plan is going? Will medical students utilize new facilities at all?

Are they still offering interview invites? This thread has been quiet for a while.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone heard back after interviewing late in February? Or does anyone know how long they’re taking to send out their decisions?

Is there a Telegram chat for the 2025 class? I know that past classes usually have one and was wondering if there was one.

Does someone know how many interviews spots are left ?
I don’t know how many spots are left but I called at the end of February and they mentioned they will be interviewing until June due to Covid slowing them down. Hope this helps!

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if there is a group for accepted students? Also, I am trying to decide between this school, San Juan Bautista, and la Universidad Central, what is the general consensus?

I don’t know how many spots are left but I called at the end of February and they mentioned they will be interviewing until June due to Covid slowing them down. Hope this helps!
UNTIL JUNE THIS IS SO CRAZY! So if you’re accepted by then you’ll have less than a few weeks to look for an apartment there and move...

Does anyone know if there is a group for accepted students? Also, I am trying to decide between this school, San Juan Bautista, and la Universidad Central, what is the general consensus?
Depends who you ask hahaha,

Are you OOS? Do you want to stay in PR for residency?

Can you elaborate? Lol Are you familiar with the schools?
Im OOS and I have no idea what I want to do for residency lol I just wanted to know people's opinions of like the curriculum and the admin and the campuses, given that I wasn't able to visit them due to COVID.

Im OOS and I have no idea what I want to do for residency lol I just wanted to know people's opinions of like the curriculum and the admin and the campuses, given that I wasn't able to visit them due to COVID.
I talked to an MS3 and they match pretty well, remember while is on a Caribbean island, still a US school thus no different than say going to the university of central Florida, that said with Step 1 pass-fail, you should squeeze many extracurriculars to stand out!

PS: getting proper training in Spanish might be seen as an asset by some resident directors.

anyone heard of recent interviews? submitted september and crickets since

I talked to an MS3 and they match pretty well, remember while is on a Caribbean island, still a US school thus no different than say going to the university of central Florida, that said with Step 1 pass-fail, you should squeeze many extracurriculars to stand out!

PS: getting proper training in Spanish might be seen as an asset by some resident directors.
just cuz im OOS no significa que no hablo el idioma ;)

just cuz im OOS no significa que no hablo el idioma ;)
I never Implied that you did not, speaking Spanish is a requirement... what I meant is that RD will see an asset on those who trained and treated patients on a fully bilingual program when compared to kids that took medical Spanish as an elective. Si no dominas el idioma, ponce no es para ti !

Can someone elaborate Ponce reputation among the island? Do you guys think it will get the stigma of a Carribbean since it’s become more of a for-profit school?

Can someone elaborate Ponce reputation among the island? Do you guys think it will get the stigma of a Carribbean since it’s become more of a for-profit school?
I'd also like to hear some current opinions, I'm still trying to decide between the non-UPR schools on the island.

what do you mean? is not more for-profit than many schools on the mainland... also while it is on a Caribbean island, is not a foreign medical school. In-fact they are stepping up their research and hiring new faculty to push up in rankings.

what do you mean? is not more for-profit than many schools on the mainland... also while it is on a Caribbean island, is not a foreign medical school. In-fact they are stepping up their research and hiring new faculty to push up in rankings.
Out of curiosity do you know the reputation of the school among the island?

Can someone elaborate Ponce reputation among the island? Do you guys think it will get the stigma of a Carribbean since it’s become more of a for-profit school

Puero Rico schools are classified and accredited as any USA school. I don't get where your comment is coming from...

what do you mean? is not more for-profit than many schools on the mainland... also while it is on a Caribbean island, is not a foreign medical school. In-fact they are stepping up their research and hiring new faculty to push up in ranking

Puero Rico schools are classified and accredited as any USA school. I don't get where your comment is coming from...
He's probably referring to the "for-profit status" of Ponce. The only other MD school that is for-profit is CNU which has had a plethora of issues. I think it's a valid question to ask what Ponce is doing that assures they are focused on the wellbeing of their students rather than their investors, make sense?