2019-2020 University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine (UIWSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How many did they interview last year? Anybody see any stats on that for this school?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I ended up withdrawing from this school. But on my interview day there was A LOT of people as well. Most likely they interviewed a lot of ppl this cycle.
From past threads it seems like people who sent in a letter of intent ended up getting in. Not sure if it would work this cycle, but its worth a shot. Especially if the letter is well written and highlights the school's mission of helping the underserved.
Goodluck to everyone!

Oh yeah found this on their website FAQ--->

Profile for Class of 2023. We will soon have the Profile for the Class of 2024.
Applications: 3,980

Application Summary
Interviewed: 680
Admitted:452
Matriculated:160

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I ended up withdrawing from this school. But on my interview day there was A LOT of people as well. Most likely they interviewed a lot of ppl this cycle.
From past threads it seems like people who sent in a letter of intent ended up getting in. Not sure if it would work this cycle, but its worth a shot. Especially if the letter is well written and highlights the school's mission of helping the underserved.
Goodluck to everyone!
I sent one of those. It doesn't seem to help :(

Application Summary
Interviewed680
Admitted452
Matriculated160
Do you think the admitted includes the admitted off the waitlist?

Goodluck to everyone!
We’re you accepted or waitlisted? When did you withdraw?

Right, but I think what GOAT is trying to ask is what is the reason for the waitlist movement?
By May 15, DO students who have multiple Acceptances need to choose one and withdraw from all other As.

Reactions: 1 user
We’re you accepted or waitlisted? When did you withdraw?
I was waitlisted even though i have above their average stats, i fit their mission, and am URM. I am OOS though, perhaps that played a role. And I withdrew ~6 weeks ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of people keep talking about the # of members in the class FB group... One thing to keep in mind about that is that there's a chance that some of the people in the FB group may have been accepted and paid the deposit to secure a spot, but might still end up withdrawing if they get a late A to a school they might prefer over UIW. This is something that happened with my husband's class page (diff med school) as he was going through the application process a few years back. Just some food for thought.

Reactions: 3 users
A lot of people keep talking about the # of members in the class FB group... One thing to keep in mind about that is that there's a chance that some of the people in the FB group may have been accepted and paid the deposit to secure a spot, but might still end up withdrawing if they get a late A to a school they might prefer over UIW. This is something that happened with my husband's class page (diff med school) as he was going through the application process a few years back. Just some food for thought.
So are you saying that some of the people on that fb group are people that have been accepted but eventually declined the offer and now have still not been removed from the fb group?

So are you saying that some of the people on that fb group are people that have been accepted but eventually declined the offer and now have still not been removed from the fb group?
I think they mean that there are some students who have accepted and paid their deposit, but still had interviews or were waitlisted at their number one school. And if they get into another school they will give up their seat so they will leave the fb group but nothing is known yet until there's more movement at other schools waitlist and stuff

Application Summary:
Interviewed: 680
Admitted:452
Matriculated: 160

Ok so what sucks is the accepted number includes Waitlist movement which means around 230 of the people interviewed last year did not get accepted even after Waitlist movement. That's a lot and probably higher this year. It being towards the end of the cycle too, don't think we should get our hopes up. Plus seems they are filling their last seats with last minute high stat candidates who could even be competitive MD candidates.

Last edited:
Ok so what sucks is the accepted number includes Waitlist movement which means around 230 of the people interviewed last year did not get accepted even after Waitlist movement. That's a lot and probably higher this year. It being towards the end of the cycle too, don't think we should get our hopes up. Plus seems they are filling their last seats with last minute high stat candidates who could even be competitive MD candidates.
But maybe we’re not accounting for the fact that interviewees could’ve also gotten rejected. Do we know if people got rejected after their interviews?

But maybe we’re not accounting for the fact that interviewees could’ve also gotten rejected. Do we know if people got rejected after their interviews?
Based on the posts here it seems like everyone they interviewed got waitlisted, which honestly isn't right because it gives some people false hope

Yes, when I interviewed back in September there was a pretty even amount of A, WL, and post-interview R’s. Keep in mind though that the people who post on SDN are a small percentage of the interviewees.
Good point. Also, people who did get rejected are probably not following this thread. Hopefully, they were successful elsewhere, but either way their focus is probably not on UIW right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Yes, when I interviewed back in September there was a pretty even amount of A, WL, and post-interview R’s. Keep in mind though that the people who post on SDN are a small percentage of the interviewees.
How do you know the results of everyone you interviewed with?

How do you know the results of everyone you interviewed with?
Yeah is that based off of what people posted on this thread back in September or what? Not gonna read back that far lol.

I tried calling admissions to ask if the class was full, no answer. I emailed them yesterday, so I'll let you know what they say!

PSA: those with multiple acceptances, if you could make up your minds asap and notify schools of declining your seat so waitlist movement could begin asap, would be much appreciated! Please and thank you.

When I was accepted off the waitlist, I was given two weeks to decide.

I am unsure if this is common, but it might suggest these acceptances come in waves, as in people who accept obviously take up a spot, but those who reject may wait the two weeks or close to it.

When I was accepted off the waitlist, I was given two weeks to decide.

I am unsure if this is common, but it might suggest these acceptances come in waves, as in people who accept obviously take up a spot, but those who reject may wait the two weeks or close to it.
I think that's the case for acceptances offered before May 15th. It says on the AACOMAS website that candidates who are offered admission after May 15th may be required to pay a deposit immediately. But again, they might pay it and take advantage of the 15 days in case they get accepted elsewhere. Also, the FB group went down by 2 members (I know it's not a lot, but YAY)

Just got the call - accepted off the waitlist! That means I don't have to take the MCAT again! lol

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations!! That’s amazing!!!! So, it was a call? Rather than an email?
Yup! I was kinda surprised by that. And thanks! Glad I won't be applying as a 31 year old this next cycle.

I think they take other things into consideration besides mcat and gpa when accepting people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so just wondering, how does this school rank up to other DO schools? is it generally considered a 'safety' school? How did ya'll like interview day, the staff, etc...?

503 mcat, master's in biomedical studies (cancer immunology) from Baylor, 2 years as a clinical research coordinator at the VA, 1 year teaching micro at a community college, ~3.5ish undergrad gpa and 3.96 grad school gpa. Also did a ton of shadowing and community service

Reactions: 4 users
503 mcat, master's in biomedical studies (cancer immunology) from Baylor, 2 years as a clinical research coordinator at the VA, 1 year teaching micro at a community college, ~3.5ish undergrad gpa and 3.96 grad school gpa. Also did a ton of shadowing and community service
Pretty good stats and excellent experiences. Was this your only acceptance?

Applied Jan 10, 2020.
Interviewed Feb 21.
Waitlisted Feb 26.

When is the DO multiple acceptance decision date? I also sent in a LOI & haven’t heard much about getting off the waitlist.

Pretty good stats and excellent experiences. Was this your only acceptance?
Yes, I was on 3 waitlists. I’m actually really surprised the acceptance came from UIWSOM. I was on their interview waitlist for months then interviewed and got out on their official waitlist, then accepted.

Yes, I was on 3 waitlists. I’m actually really surprised the acceptance came from UIWSOM. I was on their interview waitlist for months then interviewed and got out on their official waitlist, then accepted.
Great! Is UIW your first choice?

Does anybody know if there’s been any waitlist activity recently? From reading some older posts, it looks like it’s a couple hundred deep.

Has anybody on this thread actually received the UIWSOM Mission Scholarship (I haven’t seen anybody post about it)? Does anybody know how many are given out?

EDIT TO ADD: I know this has been posted before but I think it got lost in the comments about the WL.

Hi I received the Mission Scholarship, however I withdrew my offer at UIWSOM two weeks ago. If you receive it, you will get an email.

Hi I received the Mission Scholarship, however I withdrew my offer at UIWSOM two weeks ago. If you receive it, you will get an email.
Had you also received your financial aid package? And has anyone received this yet?

if you had the choice, would you go here, or Rocky Vista University or AT Still university?

Definitely a more well established school that’s accredited. But I guess some people also take location into consideration.

Having a significant other/ family closer will help during med school

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got the “waitlist still active” email again. My heart was about to come out of my chest haha

Reactions: 8 users